Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Notices

Old March 1st, 2017, 07:34 PM   #1
Irishperson15
Nice Poster

Default Coping With Anxiety

Hi guys. I started university in September and ever since I have been struggling with anxiety. I think I have mild panic attacks and get all these weird feelings. But I get them worst of all when I am in lectures and such and have no idea why. Have any of you been affected like this by going to college or any other triggers of your anxiety? It is just a horrible feeling. The college offer counselling but there is a long waiting list and I do tell my close friend and parents but it hasn't helped any. How do you cope? I fear it may interfere with my work as I am starting to skip some lectures because I cannot concentrate in them and, thus, get nothing from it.

Any feedback is appreciated.

If i agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

Sweet dreams are made of cheese, who am I to dis a brie?

Message if you want a chat
Irishperson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 08:38 AM   #2
EvaNL
Member+

EvaNL's Forum Picture

Name: Eva
Default Re: Coping With Anxiety

That's a tough one.
Have you tried relaxation techniques? Breathing techniques to return to a calm statee of mind. You can even do those in class without anyone noticing.
Also, try to figure out what causes the anxiety. Fear of failing subjects, fear of fellow students, fear of the teacher, fear of not understanding classes are but a few possibilities. Be true to yourself. If you know and can name what is causing the anxiety, you can work on getting rid of it, or at least lowering the level of distress so that you can concentrate on class.

I'm les, feel free to contact me
EvaNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2017, 08:24 PM   #3
Irishperson15
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaNL View Post
That's a tough one.
Have you tried relaxation techniques? Breathing techniques to return to a calm statee of mind. You can even do those in class without anyone noticing.
Also, try to figure out what causes the anxiety. Fear of failing subjects, fear of fellow students, fear of the teacher, fear of not understanding classes are but a few possibilities. Be true to yourself. If you know and can name what is causing the anxiety, you can work on getting rid of it, or at least lowering the level of distress so that you can concentrate on class.
Yea I just try some breathing techniques. I've read about some but never tried. It always seems harder to breathe when you focus on the way you breathe etc, off- putting. Haha well it could be a culmination of all those things and I can't change them, unfortunately. I can tell myself not to worry but it is in my nature to worry anyway, although not normally to this extent.

If i agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

Sweet dreams are made of cheese, who am I to dis a brie?

Message if you want a chat
Irishperson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2017, 11:12 PM   #4
benbeny

Name: Benedictus

Though I agree with relaxation techniques, my anxiety sometimes gone so bad till I need to take anxiolytics prescribed, beside my daily dose of mood stabilizer. Maybe you should ask your GP about anxiolytics?

A third year medical student
Feel free to PM me! I like to have new friends
benbeny is offline   Reply With Quote