Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 29th, 2016, 12:36 AM   #1
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Voice_Of_Unreason's Forum Picture

Default Ponderings of the Ham Man (My Blog)

Hey there again!

I like to teach people about things and spread my opinions, so I am starting this thread just for that. I'll talk about random things and try to teach y'all a thing or two as I do it. This is based entirely upon whatever I feel like studying or talking about, so expect a wide range of subject matter.

This thread will also pose a second purpose. I am opening this up for anyone to ask me questions or participate in discussions with me over academic subjects. My areas of knowledge include American/World History, Politics/Law, and most of the Physical Sciences. You can also answer people's questions as well, as I certainly don't have all the answers and I would appreciate the help.

This is an experiment of sorts, I want to see if a tutoring thread would work in my own forum before releasing it upon the public. Consider this the beta testing area for a possible VT tutor thread. If this thread gets somewhat popular, then I'll see about getting the admin to create a public sticky thread or even a sub-forum for it. But even if that never happens, I would still enjoy answering your more academic questions.

Last edited by Voice_Of_Unreason; November 29th, 2016 at 12:46 AM.
Voice_Of_Unreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 09:41 AM   #2
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT
Default Re: Ponderings of the Ham Man

Tutoring huh? How are you with algebra?
There's one guy I know in particular who could really use some help with that

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 04:10 PM   #3
The Byrd
Honorary Spaniard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
A=B+C-2BCCosA

That's something

The Byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #4
Endeavour
Going Global

Endeavour's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byrd View Post
A=B+C-2BCCosA

That's something
that good old cosine rule

endeavour

~former global mod~
Endeavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 12:04 AM   #5
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Quote:
I am taking Calculus 1 next semester, so I should be able to help some. It also appears that some other members here know it too, so ask away. Math might not be the easiest subject to talk about via forum though.

I am not really doing tutoring persay, but simply trying to help people with their academic studies. Don't expect me to walk you through a whole course, but if you have a question I am open.
Old December 1st, 2016, 02:13 PM   #6
bentheplayer
Member++

bentheplayer's Forum Picture

Name: Ben

There isn't much to talk for maths is there? The worked solution should usually suffice as long as no step was skipped.

We are all slaves in this new age.
bentheplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 09:01 PM   #7
Phosphene
Word Shaker

Phosphene's Forum Picture

Good thread idea! I look forward to seeing what becomes of this, and I may even ask some questions myself.

"The question is, what color will everything be at that moment when I come for you? What will the sky be saying?" ~Death, from The Book Thief
The Treasure Trove 🦄 Probe My Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desynchronized View Post
Gawd dammit the mods r so cruel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I just food and I still have a hungry.
Phosphene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 11:32 PM   #8
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheplayer View Post
There isn't much to talk for maths is there? The worked solution should usually suffice as long as no step was skipped.
Well, once you start getting into higher maths then it gets difficult to show math problems via typing unless you have some specific formatting software, which this site lacks. There are also numerous symbols which have no keyboard equivalent used in some aspects of math. It wouldn't be impossible for me to do that type of higher math via typing, but it would be difficult to format well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst_ View Post
Good thread idea! I look forward to seeing what becomes of this, and I may even ask some questions myself.
Thanks! There appears to be strong interest in this thread, hopefully it keeps up.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 01:06 AM   #9
bentheplayer
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
Well, once you start getting into higher maths then it gets difficult to show math problems via typing unless you have some specific formatting software, which this site lacks. There are also numerous symbols which have no keyboard equivalent used in some aspects of math. It wouldn't be impossible for me to do that type of higher math via typing, but it would be difficult to format well.
Oh yeah. That's true. I just realized that I have no idea how to input the integral sign here. Trying to do graphs will be tricky too. I guess one way is to do it on paper and then upload a pic of the worked solutions here.

Old December 9th, 2016, 09:34 PM   #10
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

"The First Christmas"

Now I know most of you are somewhat aware of the actual meaning of Christmas. Almost all y’all are in primarily Christian countries so you get some exposure. But I’ve seen so many people skew the actual meaning that I feel an obligation to teach you otherwise. Don’t go running away now! I am not going to try to preach Christianity to you, I am simply going to tell you a story with cultural significance.

There are many places where we could begin our exploration into the true meaning of Christmas, but I am going to skip to where the action really starts. Our location is a small town in northern Israel named Nazareth, and our period is approximately 5 BC.

In this small town was a young virgin named Mary, who was descended of the great King David, to whom the Star of David is named after. Mary was engaged at that time to a carpenter named Joseph, who was also descended of David. Both were poor but both were also very good people. Suddenly an angel appeared before Mary! The angel was named Gabriel, and told Mary that she was favored by God and blessed among women. Gabriel later told Mary that she was to conceive a child.

Mary was initially confused, how was she to make a child if she was a virgin? But nevertheless, a baby started to form in her womb. When Joseph, her husband-to-be, found out she was pregnant he instantly assumed that she was in an affair. He planned to silently break the engagement, but was dissuaded when Gabriel told him in a dream that the child in her womb was from God and that he should stay with her, so he did.

Nine months later, Joseph and Mary were married and Mary was near the time of giving birth. At the same time though a decree went out from Roman emperor Caesar Augustus (Israel was under Roman rule at the time) that people needed to return to their family’s town to be taxed. Joseph and Mary where both descendants of David, so they went to David’s hometown of Bethlehem on the outskirts of Jerusalem to pay their taxes. Sometime during their stay in Bethlehem Mary went into labor. Joseph tried to get a room for them at an inn but it was full. However, the inn keeper had pity on them and allowed them to sleep in the barn with the animals. In that barn, Mary gave birth to her baby boy, wrapped him in clothes, and laid him to rest in a feeding trough.

Nearby were some shepherds doing what they do best, watching sheep. Suddenly before them appeared an angel, telling them that a wondrous birth has occurred nearby. The shepherds were terrified, but the angel reassured them of their safety. A huge mass of angels then appeared and started to sing of peace on Earth and glory to God. Once they disappeared, the shepherds decided to check out the birth for themselves.

Meanwhile, a group of Magi from modern day Iraq saw the star God had put over the barn. They were men who studied the stars for a living, and they knew that this star meant the birth of the son of God, so they journeyed in pursuit of it. A few months later they made it to Israel and came across the company of the Roman Governor Herod, who ruled Israel at that time. When the magi told Herod that they were seeking the newborn “king of the Jews”, Herod wanted to know more. He told the Magi to return to him after they found the newborn king, so that Herod could also go “worship” him.

Now this part right here is not known to even most Christians. The magi were not at the manger scene, when the magi found Mary and her baby it was at her house back in Nazareth and the baby was probably already a few months old. And despite claims that there were only three magi, the Bible doesn’t tell us how many magi there were. But because this story is so tied to Christmas I include it here. Once the magi found the baby and gave their gifts, they returned to their homelands. However, they didn’t tell Herod where the baby was, because an angel told them in a dream that Herod didn’t want to worship the child, but to kill him, as he was seen as a threat to his rule. Herod was furious that the magi didn’t tell him where the child was. But instead of ignoring the whole matter as a lost cause, Herod instead instigated the mass murder of males under the age of two to try and kill the child. But Joseph knew this and brought his family to hide in Eygpt until Herod died a few years later.

Let’s return now to the barn and the baby’s birth. The shepherds arrived and started to sing praises of the child’s glory. A star shown bright above for all to sing. Magi from the east have started their journey. Per the angel’s request, Mary named the baby boy Jesus. Not much more is known about that night. The baby boy grew up to be a man, and preached a message of forgiveness of sins. He was eventually crucified for his teachings, but his disciples and followers spread his teachings throughout the world. Christians believe that Jesus was perfect and was a manifestation of God, and that Jesus rose again after his crucifixion and lives in Heaven today. Whether or not you believe that, Jesus is still arguably the most influential man who ever lived.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is still for tutoring if you want it, but I will also use it for occasional "lessons." In these posts I talk about and attempt to teach you, the reader, about something I find interesting. I talked about religion in this post, but I will post on other topics as well. I am currently working on a post about space travel and some recent innovations I find fascinating. If you like my posts and want to see more please drop a like. I don't want to write these if people won't read them.

Last edited by Voice_Of_Unreason; December 9th, 2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old January 1st, 2017, 11:48 PM   #11
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Due to an apparent disinterest in a tutoring/teaching thread, I have decided to enact major changes to this thread. From now on, this thread will be my personal VT blog, in which I will post at least weekly. I am doing this for 3 reasons. First, I simply don’t want this thread to die, I won’t give up on it. Secondly, many people have been asking to know more about me, since I am a very reclusive yet very active member here. And lastly, I want people to recognize and know me.

This last part is the real reason for the numerous changes I’ve been making lately on the forums here. I want people to see more to me than just politics and anti-liberal rants. There is more to me than just the angry conservative I might appear to be. As such I am enacting changes to down-play the political side of me in my personal forum and my overall behavior on VT. Expect a much more chill and humorous Man Cave of Dixie, and a PlasmaHam with much more personality.

Last edited by Voice_Of_Unreason; January 2nd, 2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:24 AM   #12
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Default Re: Ponderings of the Ham Man (My Blog)

First Blog Post!
I would like to remind you that my blog posts will be frank, because I am a pretty frank sorta guy. I will be sharing my opinions in an honest manner, and if you have a problem with that then please PM me or write a sensible and respectful post here. Let’s get to it!

Part of my struggle on this forum is the awkwardness I feel with many of the threads. You may not know this, but many would classify me as homophobic and/or transphobic. I am deeply against gay marriage and gender changes because I feel them a front to human decency and values. I don’t hold any ill-will or hatred towards gay or trans people, just the belief that their life choices are morally wrong. Many of the threads and people here actively paint people just like me as awful, hateful, abominable people whose only goal in life is to oppress love and kill LGBT+ people.

That is harsh and really is hurtful towards people like me. We are not monsters, we do not want to kill or enslave you, all we want to do is help you! You using that harsh and unfair language to describe people like me, is doing nothing but alienating you. I doubt the people writing those threads are aware of the hurt they are causing though. 99% of the kids here support LGBT+ rights, and most of the remaining 1% are too afraid to show their true opinions, and I can’t blame them. People here get so hostile if you dare challenge LGBT+ legitimacy, and the clearly left-wing bias mod staff does not help.

The reason I am talking about this is because I recently read a thread here from someone I regarded as a good person. I won’t go into detail to protect that person’s identity, who probably didn’t realize I read it nor had any awareness of my opinions on the matter. But in his post, he demonized a family member just because that person didn’t support his LGBT+ agenda. He made that person look like a gay-killer and an anti-love monster. And of course comes the VT gay league to continue to demonize that family member, and actively told my unnamed friend that the family member was nothing but hating trash and that he should basically start despising that family member. And you know what the sad part was? That family member, likely shared the same opinions as myself. And seeing someone I trusted and liked start to demonize and hate someone because of some opinions that I share, it breaks my heart.

More than likely anyone reading this supports gay rights, so here is my message to you. The next time you demonize or start hating someone because they don’t agree with your lifestyle choice, you are the one showing unjust hatred, and that hatred will hurt those who once believed you to be friends. Love has no bounds right? Then love those even if they don't agree with you.

At the end of every blog post I will post a Bible verse, because I am also a devout Christian and there is much wisdom in those pages. The first is Matthew 5:44, the words of Jesus Christ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 5:44
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:36 AM   #13
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

I'm not sure I'd say there is no interest tbh. I thinkmsometimes some threads take time to get off the ground. I've made plentybthat never went anywhere. But I hope sometimes it might do some good for someone if they see it

Whether or not you ageee, believe in, support same sex any issues, that's just who you are. Just as people are gay, straight, Christian, Jew, black or white. It's just who you are. It's how you believe. As someone who is in support of it I don't hold anything against you for your beliefs. Or anyone else who believes what they believe so long as they are not disrespectful towards whatever group we're talking about. People have a right to their own opinion.

It's a loaded topic, and I don't want to debate the topic tbh. Just wanted to reply to your thread mostly cause you seemed to feel like nobody was reading it or something.

2017 VT Awards
Old January 2nd, 2017, 08:56 AM   #14
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd say there is no interest tbh. I thinkmsometimes some threads take time to get off the ground. I've made plentybthat never went anywhere. But I hope sometimes it might do some good for someone if they see it

Whether or not you ageee, believe in, support same sex any issues, that's just who you are. Just as people are gay, straight, Christian, Jew, black or white. It's just who you are. It's how you believe. As someone who is in support of it I don't hold anything against you for your beliefs. Or anyone else who believes what they believe so long as they are not disrespectful towards whatever group we're talking about. People have a right to their own opinion.
Thanks, I wasn't really intending for this to become a debate or political. I was just getting tired of people on this forum constantly classifying people like myself as less-evolved haters who want nothing to do but silence gays and start the 4th reich. Sure there are some people like that, but most are not. Just be considerate of others when you start classifying someone as primitive and evil just because they don't agree with you.

I've been planning to make this a blog for awhile now, unrelated to the inactivity here. As I've said, I want to make myself a bit more approachable and less political, and switching this from a purely informative thread(which I honestly didn't have the time for) to a regular blog helps make me more approachable. Plus I really don't have the time or attitude to run a purely informative thread.

The earlier blog post may have sounded political, but I assure you that I wasn't intending it to be. Just a rant about my annoyance with some people. My future posts won't be as decisive as this one.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:01 AM   #15
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

Well I avoid the debates as best I can. I usually look pretty stupid when I get involved there so I just avoid that section all together

It's good to spread around where you post and topics I think. People will see different sides of you. Even if you don't agree with how they believe and stuff

A lota people got this thing stuck in their head that if 2 people don't agree on a topic they can't be friends. And that's just not true IMO. You can if the people wana be friends. May not be like best bros and all but can still chill rifpght?

Better than fighting IMO

2017 VT Awards
Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:39 AM   #16
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Quote:
A lota people got this thing stuck in their head that if 2 people don't agree on a topic they can't be friends. And that's just not true IMO. You can if the people wana be friends. May not be like best bros and all but can still chill rifpght?

Better than fighting IMO
Yep, totally right.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 10:59 PM   #17
Dalcourt
Legendary Member

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

Last edited by Dalcourt; January 17th, 2017 at 09:49 PM.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2017, 05:54 PM   #18
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

There have been multiple people in recent weeks who have asked questions concerning politics on VT. I said a few weeks back that I will create some posts specifically dedicated to answering those questions, and here is the first one. This post is a basic political dictionary, to get people familiar with various political ideologies and forms of government. Later on I will write more posts going into greater detail. Right now I am planning to write on the various political parties, liberals vs conservatives, how the Federal government works, and possibly more if people find these helpful.

I am posting in my forum right now, but once this is done I will move this over to the public forums. Feel free to comment, I've tried to stay non-bias but if you feel I wronged you then please point it out.

Political Dictionary of Political Terms for a Political and Economic World

Anarchy: Anarchy is a doctrine that supports getting rid of government rule. This can go as far as advocating for the abolition of government, as anarchists see government as unnecessary, immoral, and is ultimately holding back humanity. This doctrine stresses to extremes the right of an individual to make their own choices. This doctrine gets a bad reputation in today’s world, as many people see it as simple chaos, which it isn’t. There isn’t a core doctrine of anarchists, so there are diversely different schools of thought of the subject.

Capitalism:
Capitalism is a doctrine that supports a free and open economy. The majority of economic control is in the private sector, aka businesses and individuals, with only a small amount of control attributed to the government. In capitalism, individuals have the right to trade goods such as land, labor, services, and other items for cash and their own gain. This doctrine is the most common economic policy in the world, but there are disputes over the fairness of capitalism and whether it is capable of being self-sustaining.

Socialism:
Socialism is an economic doctrine that supports a regulated economy that focuses on supporting the society rather than the individual. The economy is worker controlled and prioritizes income equality rather than self-growth. The government provides for the people through free services. Socialism was formed in the 1800s as a response to the “unfairness” of capitalism. This system has been scrutinized itself for its frequent failures and its encouragement of authoritarian and sometimes dictatorial governments.

Communism:
Communism is the equivalent of socialism when applied as a political doctrine instead of just an economic policy. Communism supports a socialist style economy while supporting a classless, centralized government. Private ownership is restricted, and is instead replaced by community ownership. While not explicitly stated, communism almost always lead into a corrupt and dictatorial government due to the extreme centralized power given to the government. The differences between Socialism and Communism are confusing to the average person. However, just remember that socialism is an economic doctrine, while communism is a political doctrine.

Libertarianism: Libertarianism is the political doctrine of reducing government involvement while prioritizing personal freedoms. Libertarianism stresses individual responsibility and charity rather than state-funded welfare and regulations. The difference between this and anarchy, is that while anarchy supports the abolition of government, libertarianism only supports the reducing of government. You can think of libertarianism as the opposite of communism, prosperity coming from less government control. Libertarianism is often quoted as synonymous with liberalism, but that is a false assumption.

Fascism
: Fascism is a political doctrine that stresses the state over the individual and extreme government control. Support for the state is achieved through extreme nationalism (patriotism or duty towards the state) and/or populism (charismatic leadership). Fascism supports and understands capitalism, but also allows the government to affect the economy to benefit their own ends and has considerable effort put into the national economy and military. Fascism is often implied to be synonymous with extreme patriotism, but that is false.

Totalitarianism: Totalitarianism is the doctrine that government should be involved in nearly every aspect of the nation. Totalitarianism says that the state knows best, and thus should be in control to benefit the people, and that an idealized future will come from government control. While not explicitly stated, Totalitarian states almost always devolve into dictatorships or class rule. Indoctrination and propaganda is also common in totalitarian states as a way to keep populace support. Communism and Fascism are both examples of totalitarian systems.

Liberalism
: Liberalism is the political ideology that stresses individual equality to be the priority, and that government has a role to protect those liberties. In Liberalism, personal freedoms are broad, and believed in a government-supported welfare system of delivering such rights such as food, education, healthcare, income equality, etc. Liberalism is idealistic and is in favor of drastic social and political reforms.

Conservatism
: Conservatism is the political ideology that stresses tradition and freedom, but doesn’t believe that government has a legitimate role to protect those freedoms. Conservatism believes that individuals have the right to certain freedoms, but those are self-attained and thus are against welfare policies. Conservatism supports libertarian approaches to the economy and government, but is also pragmatic and favors gradual change.

Federalism
: Federalism is the political doctrine that supports shared power between local and national governments. Federalism believes that sharing of power is a preventer of corruption and allows for better and fairer governess of a large and diverse nation. The USA is the most obvious example of this; the states have certain powers, and the federal government has other powers.

I tried to choose the most relevant and most used terms. I will add any suggested terms if I like it.

@peanut, while I appreciate your interest in my forum, I have said repeatedly that debates are not allowed here.

Last edited by Voice_Of_Unreason; January 16th, 2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old January 18th, 2017, 09:17 AM   #19
bentheplayer
Member++

If you are planning to write an easily understood overview on these ideologies, may I suggest that you include the left-right political spectrum and maybe even the Vosem chart. Despite their various criticisms, I think that they are two of the fastest and most painless way of explaining the broad differences among the various groups without going too in dept.

Old January 18th, 2017, 10:16 AM   #20
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheplayer View Post
If you are planning to write an easily understood overview on these ideologies, may I suggest that you include the left-right political spectrum and maybe even the Vosem chart. Despite their various criticisms, I think that they are two of the fastest and most painless way of explaining the broad differences among the various groups without going too in dept.
Thanks. I am planning to write a post on the left-right spectrum as I think that is what most people would want. I'll have to look at the Vosem Chart, I typically use the Nolan Chart but from what I've read the Vosem Chart is pretty nice. I'll probably post the next post by the end of this week.