Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2016, 02:26 PM   #1
Dying Ember
Member++
 
Name: Maya
Join Date: September 10, 2014
Location: Scotland, UK
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Default Extremely painful OLD scars (trigger warning)

Hello,
This may be triggering to anyone struggling with self harm.
I have an about year old scar on my inner upper arm which in the last few months has become extremely painful. Even when it is not touching anything it is so sore, sometimes more so than others. I don't know whether this makes any difference but the scar is quite raised and red (when I have worse scars that were initiated at the same time which are more healed)
Does anyone have any idea of why it is so painful, and is it normal for this to happen or is it something I should be concerned about? Keep in mind that this is a scar that is not at all new and seemingly different to many other scars I have

~Dying Ember
Dying Ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 12:17 AM   #2
LunaHermione
New Member
 
LunaHermione's Forum Picture
 
Name: Amy
Join Date: February 28, 2012
Location: England
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Default Re: Extremely painful OLD scars (trigger warning)

Hey, it sounds like what you have is a hypertrophic scar, where the scar becomes raised and painful. I used to have one on my arm that was raised and hurt and itched like mad, and it was there for over a year before one day I woke up and it had flattened and become pale. I don't really know why it healed itselft but maybe yours will too if you give it time. If it's really bad you could maybe go to your doctor about it as I think there are surgeries they can do to flatten it out.

My wish to die is as pervasive as a dial tone; You lift the reciever, it's always there.
LunaHermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 01:47 PM   #3
Dying Ember
Member++
 
Name: Maya
Join Date: September 10, 2014
Location: Scotland, UK
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Default Re: Extremely painful OLD scars (trigger warning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaHermione View Post
Hey, it sounds like what you have is a hypertrophic scar, where the scar becomes raised and painful. I used to have one on my arm that was raised and hurt and itched like mad, and it was there for over a year before one day I woke up and it had flattened and become pale. I don't really know why it healed itselft but maybe yours will too if you give it time. If it's really bad you could maybe go to your doctor about it as I think there are surgeries they can do to flatten it out.
Hey thanks so much for your reply! Yeah that does sound right, it can get really itchy as well sometimes. It's not a major concern though is it? Do you know what causes the scar to become like that?

~Dying Ember
Dying Ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 03:32 PM   #4
Flapjack
Good Egg
 
Flapjack's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 20, 2016
Gender: Male
Default Re: Extremely painful OLD scars (trigger warning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Ember View Post
Hey thanks so much for your reply! Yeah that does sound right, it can get really itchy as well sometimes. It's not a major concern though is it? Do you know what causes the scar to become like that?
Yeah I also agree it sounds like a hypertrophic scar buddy and here is the wiki page for it buddy for more info

How old is the scar buddy and what colour is it?

Also ~ no one on here is a doctor xD If you are concerned I really think you should go see a doctor


I'm a prettyyy awkward weeb that likes alcohol and punk rock :')
Flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Scarred Chris
New Member
 
Name: Chris
Join Date: November 28, 2016
Location: In hell with Lucifer
Gender: Cisgender Male
Default Re: Extremely painful OLD scars (trigger warning)

Is it possible that it's infected?
Scarred Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:32 PM   #6
Dying Ember
Member++
 
Name: Maya
Join Date: September 10, 2014
Location: Scotland, UK
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Default Re: Extremely painful OLD scars (trigger warning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
Yeah I also agree it sounds like a hypertrophic scar buddy and here is the wiki page for it buddy for more info

How old is the scar buddy and what colour is it?

Also ~ no one on here is a doctor xD If you are concerned I really think you should go see a doctor
Thanks
The scar is over a year old I would say, I'm not entirely sure though so it could be longer and it is a bright red/deep pink sort of colour

~Dying Ember
Dying Ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:33 PM   #7
Dying Ember
Member++
 
Name: Maya
Join Date: September 10, 2014
Location: Scotland, UK
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Default Re: Extremely painful OLD scars (trigger warning)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarred Chris View Post
Is it possible that it's infected?
Can scars be infected?

~Dying Ember
Dying Ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #8
Pyromaniac27
Member+
 
Pyromaniac27's Forum Picture
 
Name: Cody
Join Date: December 3, 2016
Location: Wherever a trail of sorrow and blood is
Age: 14
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Ember View Post
Hello,
This may be triggering to anyone struggling with self harm.
I have an about year old scar on my inner upper arm which in the last few months has become extremely painful. Even when it is not touching anything it is so sore, sometimes more so than others. I don't know whether this makes any difference but the scar is quite raised and red (when I have worse scars that were initiated at the same time which are more healed)
Does anyone have any idea of why it is so painful, and is it normal for this to happen or is it something I should be concerned about? Keep in mind that this is a scar that is not at all new and seemingly different to many other scars I have
It might be infected, try soaking it in alcohol, or covering it with ointment and band aids
Pyromaniac27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2017
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2017, VirtualTeen.org