Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 8th, 2016, 02:26 PM   #1
Dying Ember
Member++

Name: Maya
Default Extremely painful OLD scars (trigger warning)

Hello,
This may be triggering to anyone struggling with self harm.
I have an about year old scar on my inner upper arm which in the last few months has become extremely painful. Even when it is not touching anything it is so sore, sometimes more so than others. I don't know whether this makes any difference but the scar is quite raised and red (when I have worse scars that were initiated at the same time which are more healed)
Does anyone have any idea of why it is so painful, and is it normal for this to happen or is it something I should be concerned about? Keep in mind that this is a scar that is not at all new and seemingly different to many other scars I have

~Dying Ember
Dying Ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 12:17 AM   #2
LunaHermione

LunaHermione's Forum Picture

Name: Amy
Default Re: Extremely painful OLD scars (trigger warning)

Hey, it sounds like what you have is a hypertrophic scar, where the scar becomes raised and painful. I used to have one on my arm that was raised and hurt and itched like mad, and it was there for over a year before one day I woke up and it had flattened and become pale. I don't really know why it healed itselft but maybe yours will too if you give it time. If it's really bad you could maybe go to your doctor about it as I think there are surgeries they can do to flatten it out.

My wish to die is as pervasive as a dial tone; You lift the reciever, it's always there.
LunaHermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 01:47 PM   #3
Dying Ember
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaHermione View Post
Hey, it sounds like what you have is a hypertrophic scar, where the scar becomes raised and painful. I used to have one on my arm that was raised and hurt and itched like mad, and it was there for over a year before one day I woke up and it had flattened and become pale. I don't really know why it healed itselft but maybe yours will too if you give it time. If it's really bad you could maybe go to your doctor about it as I think there are surgeries they can do to flatten it out.
Hey thanks so much for your reply! Yeah that does sound right, it can get really itchy as well sometimes. It's not a major concern though is it? Do you know what causes the scar to become like that?

~Dying Ember
Old November 17th, 2016, 03:32 PM   #4
Flapjack
Good Egg

Flapjack's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Ember View Post
Hey thanks so much for your reply! Yeah that does sound right, it can get really itchy as well sometimes. It's not a major concern though is it? Do you know what causes the scar to become like that?
Yeah I also agree it sounds like a hypertrophic scar buddy and here is the wiki page for it buddy for more info

How old is the scar buddy and what colour is it?

Also ~ no one on here is a doctor xD If you are concerned I really think you should go see a doctor

I'm a prettyyy awkward weeb that likes alcohol and punk rock :')
Flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Scarred Chris

Name: Chris

Is it possible that it's infected?
Scarred Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:32 PM   #6
Dying Ember
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
Yeah I also agree it sounds like a hypertrophic scar buddy and here is the wiki page for it buddy for more info

How old is the scar buddy and what colour is it?

Also ~ no one on here is a doctor xD If you are concerned I really think you should go see a doctor
Thanks
The scar is over a year old I would say, I'm not entirely sure though so it could be longer and it is a bright red/deep pink sort of colour

~Dying Ember
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:33 PM   #7
Dying Ember
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarred Chris View Post
Is it possible that it's infected?
Can scars be infected?

~Dying Ember
Old December 4th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #8
Pyromaniac27
Member+

Pyromaniac27's Forum Picture

Name: Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Ember View Post
Hello,
This may be triggering to anyone struggling with self harm.
I have an about year old scar on my inner upper arm which in the last few months has become extremely painful. Even when it is not touching anything it is so sore, sometimes more so than others. I don't know whether this makes any difference but the scar is quite raised and red (when I have worse scars that were initiated at the same time which are more healed)
Does anyone have any idea of why it is so painful, and is it normal for this to happen or is it something I should be concerned about? Keep in mind that this is a scar that is not at all new and seemingly different to many other scars I have
It might be infected, try soaking it in alcohol, or covering it with ointment and band aids
Pyromaniac27 is offline   Reply With Quote