Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:31 PM   #1
camo115
Nice Poster
 
Join Date: May 28, 2015
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Gender: Male
Default suggestion to bad diagnosing conditions on VT.

I feel as if it would be in this communitys best intrests, especially in the puberty and vt general hospital threads to ban diagnosing of conditions. This potentialy leads to self treatment, ignorance and neglegience of ones physical health.

There has been a few threads recently where individuals are not sure if what they have could be a UTI or STI, depending on what specifically is wrong either of these things being misdiagnosed or treated either at home or incorectely could be very harmful if not fatal. It is fact that a untreated UTI will spread to the kidneys, and once it gets to thats point which is only after around two weeks, it becomes a challange to treat rather than the breeze of having to take a course of broad spectrum antibiotics.
People asking these questions should see a doctor and be encorouged to do so rather than having the preconcived notion of having a paticular condition and starting uneffical treatment for it.

However being informed is also an important part of giving true medical consent, as such statments like "it could be..." as aposed to "its likely..." and such could mean the diffence between a scared person and informed person.

This simple change in wording could be the diffrence for somone who is at the point where they have tunnel visioned themselves and think they dont need to seek propper diagnosis. Hope is a wonderful thing, maybe the best of things and i feel giving somone the option will encorouge them to get specific diagnosis.

ASIDE FROM ALL THIS, we teenagers are not doctors.

16 - bi - male.
Currently in germany for a while
camo115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 04:51 PM   #2
Babs
draft dodger
 
Babs's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: September 14, 2013
Age: 18
Gender: Female
Default Re: suggestion to bad diagnosing conditions on VT.

I agree, although people should be able to infer that for themselves, and should be able to understand the difference between a suggestion online and a legitimate diagnosis. But I guess it doesn't always work out that way.
Likes: (1)
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 05:07 PM   #3
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you
 
Just JT's Forum Picture
 
Name: JT
Join Date: June 27, 2015
Location: Kingdom of God
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: suggestion to bad diagnosing conditions on VT.

I see your point. But nobody claims to be a doctor. And from what I've read in the past, most are advised to seek a doctor to confirm. Think that should be the base line anyways, this is only a self help/peer support forum.
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Amethyst Rose
The Fragile
 
Amethyst Rose's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 27, 2016
Location: The Crystal Garden
Gender: Cisgender Female
Blog Entries: 22
Default Re: suggestion to bad diagnosing conditions on VT.

I understand what you're getting at, @camo115. I will say though that when posting threads dealing with looking for diagnoses, people should have enough sense to take everything they read with a grain of salt. This is the Internet, after all. Not to say that replies to these threads couldn't be helpful to some extent; if the OP is completely overreacting to what they assume they have, these misunderstandings could be cleared up, and other members can give them suggestions to make their symptoms more bearable until they can go to a doctor. Regardless of this, it is important that everyone realizes seeing a doctor is always the safest route to get the most accurate diagnosis/treatment.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
PM Me Ask Me amethyst_@virtualteen.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desynchronized View Post
Gawd dammit the mods r so cruel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I just food and I still have a hungry.
Likes: (1)
Amethyst Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:27 PM   #5
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster
 
PlasmaHam's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: July 7, 2016
Location: The South
Gender: Male
Default Re: suggestion to bad diagnosing conditions on VT.

I understand your point, but I hope anyone who does ask for medical advice should have the common sense to realize that we are not doctors. We are Virtual Teens, not Virtual Doctors after all. But I do feel that much good can come out of the VT Hospital diagnosis. Many times people post thinking that have something minor, only for our posters to point out that it could be potentially dangerous. Other times people believe they have something major only to reveal that it is more than likely just a minor thing. While there is occasional bad advice, from what I have seen, most posters in the VT Hospital actually know what they are talking about, either by personal experience or research.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 07:59 PM   #6
camo115
Nice Poster
 
Join Date: May 28, 2015
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Gender: Male
Default Re: suggestion to bad diagnosing conditions on VT.

@Urist @Amethyst_ id like to say people do take it with a grain of salt, but regardless of what they think if you get told somthing enough, you will start to believe it. Its how a running joke turns into bullying because whilst people may think its fun or just a suggestion it turns to making somone feel like shit or believe somthing other than the truth.

16 - bi - male.
Currently in germany for a while
camo115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 09:47 PM   #7
Typhlosion
Fire-type Metalhead
 
Typhlosion's Forum Picture
 
Name: Alex
Join Date: December 18, 2013
Location: Brazil!
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: suggestion to bad diagnosing conditions on VT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo115 View Post
I feel as if it would be in this communitys best intrests, especially in the puberty and vt general hospital threads to ban diagnosing of conditions. This potentialy leads to self treatment, ignorance and neglegience of ones physical health.

There has been a few threads recently where individuals are not sure if what they have could be a UTI or STI, depending on what specifically is wrong either of these things being misdiagnosed or treated either at home or incorectely could be very harmful if not fatal. It is fact that a untreated UTI will spread to the kidneys, and once it gets to thats point which is only after around two weeks, it becomes a challange to treat rather than the breeze of having to take a course of broad spectrum antibiotics.
People asking these questions should see a doctor and be encorouged to do so rather than having the preconcived notion of having a paticular condition and starting uneffical treatment for it.

However being informed is also an important part of giving true medical consent, as such statments like "it could be..." as aposed to "its likely..." and such could mean the diffence between a scared person and informed person.

This simple change in wording could be the diffrence for somone who is at the point where they have tunnel visioned themselves and think they dont need to seek propper diagnosis. Hope is a wonderful thing, maybe the best of things and i feel giving somone the option will encorouge them to get specific diagnosis.

ASIDE FROM ALL THIS, we teenagers are not doctors.
To be honest, I barely see the difference between "it could be" or "it's likely to be", but that's just me. I'm also going to point out that, in your example, a diagnosis of an UTI is worthless. You would still need to see a doctor for a prescription on antibiotics since most are controlled.

In fact, and as people said above me, whatever kind advice is given isn't a substitute for a doctor anyways. Just knowing what you have doesn't solve the problem, and they (should) know that an online teenage forum is not going to be the solution to their problems. Rather, it's a place to maybe have an idea of what's going on, and find other people that may have passed through similar situations.

Plus, VT is more oriented to the mental health side of things, and that's where self diagnosis is more common. I get that self-diagnosing isn't the best ever. But getting an idea of what might be going on is much better. Even if it's a wrong guess, it's more-or-less there. Instead of googling "I feel X or Y what is wrong with me" they can use more precise terms like "depression", "bipolar disorder", or "ASD", and continue searching and learning for themselves. Even if inaccurate, the person will have a better idea of what professional to look for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo115 View Post
@Urist @Amethyst_ id like to say people do take it with a grain of salt, but regardless of what they think if you get told somthing enough, you will start to believe it. Its how a running joke turns into bullying because whilst people may think its fun or just a suggestion it turns to making somone feel like shit or believe somthing other than the truth.
And they should. It's an online teenage forum and, heck, even the announcement on the VT General Hospital reads:

Quote:
Before posting however please take the following into consideration:
  1. We are not medical professionals. All of our advice is based on personal experience or knowledge and is not suitable or comparable to that of a medical professional.
  2. Any health concern you have that you feel is an emergency tell a responsible adult, dial your areas emergency number or call your doctor as soon as possible.
  3. No member is held liable for any information found in this forum however we do urge that any information given in this forum is to be from a reliable source or experience. Any false information could potentially make a health matter worse.
I'm not buying that people are all going to start believing on something just because they read it here and, let's face it, there are people with personalities that will do that regardless if it's on VT or a silly internet quiz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
[...] Many times people post thinking that have something minor, only for our posters to point out that it could be potentially dangerous. Other times people believe they have something major only to reveal that it is more than likely just a minor thing. While there is occasional bad advice, from what I have seen, most posters in the VT Hospital actually know what they are talking about, either by personal experience or research.
^ Exactly. It's not any definitive solution, but it's a good starting point.

Formerly at your service! ^^
Ex-GD Mod

Straight / Atheist / Metalhead / Right-wing / Aspie
Likes: (1)
Typhlosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 09:58 PM   #8
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator
 
ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture
 
Name: Mike
Join Date: April 26, 2010
Location: US
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Default Re: suggestion to bad diagnosing conditions on VT.

Nobody here is claiming to be a medical professional, and if somebody was actually claiming to be a doctor on the site and wanted to give a "proper diagnosis" to somebody we would not allow it on the site. There was actually a member years ago who came back after years of inactivity claiming to now have a medical degree -- he was not allowed to give professional advice on the site nor was he given any kind of rank for being a medical doctor. So in response to what you're saying, we already do not allow people to give "professional" medical advice, and it is in our ToS (which everybody agreed to upon registration) that advice or information provided on the site by users or staff is not guaranteed to be accurate nor should it be taken as professional advice.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.


Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
Likes: (2)
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2017
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2017, VirtualTeen.org