Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Notices

Old October 16th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #1
PinkFloyd
Steve Jobs' Bitch

PinkFloyd's Forum Picture

Name: Rob
Default Coworker tried to commit suicide today

I recently started working at Spencer's Gifts about two months ago. I've met tons of cool people there so far; both employees and regular customers. Well, one of my favorite coworkers there is named- well, I'll just call him F for privacy's sake. Anyways, I don't really know him all that well, but I've grown a friendship with him. Well, today, I was working an 11:30 AM to 3:30 shift. F was supposed to come in at 3:30 and take over for me. Well, around 1, his girlfriend called the store completely hysterical and crying. My manager (who I will call G) picked up. F's girlfriend said that F had attempted to end his life and was on suicide watch at the hospital.

G is a good manager and a good person overall, but she just doesn't understand when there's a problem that needs fixing without her getting all crazy. You wanna know what she said? She said to the girlfriend "Well, when will he be back?" There was not a SHRED of empathy in her voice. G didn't even hint at being sorry about the tragedy that had occurred. All she was worried about was who was going to cover F's shift. To be clear, F has zero history of showing signs of depression. He did a very good job of keeping it to himself. (as most depression sufferers do) When this shocker hit me, I was in awe. All my manager was fixated on was her store. it makes me sick and I hope to hell that F's girlfriend didn't tell him what G said over the phone.

...I really just hope he's going to be okay. It's good he's in the hospital, but I'm not sure. Thanks for reading my unorganized rant.

"My mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." Fred Rogers
PinkFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 10:14 AM   #2
Amethyst Rose
The Fragile

Amethyst Rose's Forum Picture

Default Re: Coworker tried to commit suicide today

That's awful. From my own experience (I know everyone isn't like this, this is speaking from what I've witnessed), people have reactions like those when they haven't dealt with depression themselves. That isn't an excuse whatsoever for their lack of at least willingness to understand, but they can't empathize as they don't know personally how seriously it can affect a person. I hope he gets better soon.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
PM Me Ask Me [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desynchronized View Post
Gawd dammit the mods r so cruel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I just food and I still have a hungry.
Amethyst Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 12:50 PM   #3
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Well she's a manager of a store for a reason, not a therapist. I'm not excusing her response, but she is doing what is standard business, and standard business as a rule tends to be void of empathy.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 01:06 PM   #4
everlong
Floyd the Barber

everlong's Forum Picture

That's scary, especially since it came out of nowhere. I agree with Uniquemind for the most part, but I think a little empathy would've been nice. Business or not, you should try and show some respect for him as a human being.

caffeine junkie

imaginationblind.tumblr.com
everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 05:51 PM   #5
Just JT
I give a actual fuck

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Kind of like what everyone else I saying here. Yeah it sucks the manager said it like that, and defiantly shows what kind of "human" he/she is. Says a lot right there about how much respect the manager has for the employees.

But also, it is a business, and a business can't survive with employees who feel worthless.

Why don't you print this thread, and pin it up in the break room for everyone to see, and enjoy the read.
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 01:16 AM   #6
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
Kind of like what everyone else I saying here. Yeah it sucks the manager said it like that, and defiantly shows what kind of "human" he/she is. Says a lot right there about how much respect the manager has for the employees.

But also, it is a business, and a business can't survive with employees who feel worthless.

Why don't you print this thread, and pin it up in the break room for everyone to see, and enjoy the read.
Not necessarily.

Some people don't share emotions nor do they want them affecting performance on the job.

She might feel bad, but she as a manager might grieve in her own way once she is back on her own time.

It's hard to tell and to read humans and discern their character VS a facade they just need to do to function.

Also she's a manager, so I assume she's older than most those under her?

Even as a teen now, I already know of 3 suicide attempts within my friends (1 was successful). You get numb to them after a while, but it's no less sad.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #7
PinkFloyd
Steve Jobs' Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlong View Post
That's scary, especially since it came out of nowhere. I agree with Uniquemind for the most part, but I think a little empathy would've been nice. Business or not, you should try and show some respect for him as a human being.
I agree. I certainly wasn't expecting the store to close down because of the incident, but the least she could have done was shown a little empathy. I have some background with people committing suicide, so it hit a nerve for me.

"My mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." Fred Rogers
Old October 18th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #8
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, Rob. I hope he's ok and that things start to go easier for him. You can't always tell when someone is feeling that way, that's why it's important to treat people well and with respect. Everyone has a private life that others aren't privy to and there's no way to tell what someone is going through unless they've let you in.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 12:18 PM   #9
PinkFloyd
Steve Jobs' Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolBeans View Post
I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, Rob. I hope he's ok and that things start to go easier for him. You can't always tell when someone is feeling that way, that's why it's important to treat people well and with respect. Everyone has a private life that others aren't privy to and there's no way to tell what someone is going through unless they've let you in.
Yeah, It's a common misconception than depressed people appear sad all the time. All my coworkers were saying how it just didn't add up, but that's the thing, it rarely ever adds up. Take Robin Williams for example. He was a great actor and comedian, a person who's job it was to make others smile and laugh. He was broken on the inside so he wanted to make others smile on the inside and out while he could only smile on the outside. This entire situation hits a soft spot for me because I have lost classmates to suicide and once stopped my best friend from ending her life. As of now, there's no news on how F is doing, but it's good that he wasn't able to go through with it and is now in the hospital getting treatment. Thanks for the reply, Mike. It really means a lot.