Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old October 4th, 2016, 02:21 AM   #1
Carcel

Carcel's Forum Picture

Name: Carl
Default Is alcohol good or bad?

Hey all! I wasn't intending to ask this, but now that I've seen this category, I'm thinking I'll ask it. I've heard plenty of times that various alcohol have health benefits. Like whiskey helps reduce weight, prevents cancer, blood clot, improves heart health, etc. Also, vodka helps in reducing stress and keeps skin healthy. So, why is consuming alcohol prohibited? I know it's excess is harmful, but isn't excess of everything harmful. I'm not promoting drinking here, nor do I drink. But I keep hearing the health benefits all the time. So, just wanted to know, whether its for real or not.

Rock On!!!
Old October 4th, 2016, 09:25 AM   #2
Lost in the Echo
mofo

Lost in the Echo's Forum Picture

Name: Bo
Default Re: Is alcohol good or bad?

Well like you said, in excess it is harmful. It can be beneficial in small amounts, but if you get all fucked up it will damage your internal organs.

Basically a little bit is ok, but a lot isn't.
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:05 AM   #3
Uranus
Mah Home

Uranus's Forum Picture

Name: Thomas (Yung Merk)

Technically it is bad for you, but isn't nearly any form of food or drink or anything bad for you in some way nowadays?

#ThugLife
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:10 AM   #4
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Endeavour's Forum Picture

It can be good, but like Bo said only in small amounts. Technically it is addictive so you shouldn't really be drinking it in large amounts because then your body will start to want alcohol which can lead to all sorts of side effects. Yes like you say alcohol can help you for example preventing blood clots, but it could also lead to a toxic overdose which can lead to a coma or even death.

Global Moderator
live a life you will remember

Feel free to contact me: PM [email protected]
Visit: Path to the Horizon Ask Me Anything
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #5
phuckphace
VT Lover

I doubt there's an effective difference between whiskey and vodka and whatever else - it's all the same ethyl alcohol no matter what type of liquor or brand it is.

alcohol does have some health benefits when consumed in moderate amounts, true, but it's prohibited for minors because the impact of its abuse (which is very serious) has to be managed. binge drinking is very unhealthy and causes significant long-term damage, like even if you get into a program and get clean you will still suffer residual damage from the booze. I know a couple of former alcoholics, one of them a relative who hasn't touched liquor for 6 years and still has health problems like nerve tremors and random outbursts/memory problems. not a good time fam

~ not posting anymore cru ~
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:32 AM   #6
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

PlasmaHam's Forum Picture

I've heard of people touting wine as having health benefits, not so much whisky or vodka. Apparently there are some heart and internal organ benefits, but from what I've read they seem relatively minor. I think that those claims are often exaggerated by people looking for an excuse to keep drinking. However, I wouldn't let these minor benefits justify you start drinking. It is easy to fall into heavy drinking, especially for a teenager, and that can ruin your life with liver and brain problems, as well as alcohol related accidents.
Old October 9th, 2016, 10:44 AM   #7
Tyson S
Member+

Tyson S's Forum Picture

Name: Tyson

I shall tell you that alcohol is good for you in small amounts, drink too much you get drunk and do silly things. You also can get a 'Beer gut' if you drink lots every day.

drinking has not killed me yet so your safe!

22 Years Old | Bi-Sexual | Melbourne Australia

Want advice? Someone to talk to? Send me a PM.
Old October 19th, 2016, 03:37 AM   #8
Hermes
Awesome Poster

Firstly I would not believe some of the claims - if you see a claim in the press like "A glass of red wine a day makes you live five years longer" you'll typically find the original research said "Within the studt group those who drank a glass of red wine per day subsequently lived five years longer than those who didn't". The journalist has jumped to the conclusion that the red vine was the cause of the longer life but the researchers never said that. It could be that those who drink red wine typically have more expensive tastes, because they have more money, so they have better healthcare or have healthier lives in some other respect, like less stress, more time for exercise etc.

There have been suggestions recently that there is no amount of alcohol you can safely drink that doesn't increase the risk of chronic diseases. That said many people drink in moderation and have no obvious ill-effects.

One thing is certainly true - getting drunk and then getting into trouble is a bad idea.
Old October 19th, 2016, 03:55 AM   #9
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

I think in moderation it's fine, maybe some health benefits. But I'm also sure if you keep reading around here a little you'll find plenty of members who can tell you some pretty sad stories about how booze can/has ruined lives and families as if can become easily abused.

So it's a personal choice and flavor I guess
Old October 19th, 2016, 08:17 AM   #10
Sonicomsk

Sonicomsk's Forum Picture

Name: Oleg

It's not bad for your health if you won't drink a lot.

cyka blyat
Old October 24th, 2016, 05:27 PM   #11
Michael75
Member+

Name: Michael

I'm sort of split on whether it should even be legal or not. For example, when i go out to night clubs I drink alcohol to gain confidence to talk to girls easier lolz. However, its so fucking dangerous. According to stats, alcohol (misuse) costs the NHS 3 billion a year on average - thats fucking wild. I honestly do not see how drugs like LSD, DMT and Psilocybin Mushrooms are illegal and alcohol is legal. No one has died from LSD, DMT or shrooms (by died i mean overdoses, only one person has died due to LSD since 1994, there's been no cases of death from DMT or shrooms.) Of course though, if these drugs were legal like alcohol chances are they'd just be abused the same way as alcohol. So yeah idk, literally could go on all day about how alcohol maybe shouldn't be legal, and psychedelic drugs should be. Still gonna get lamped every time i go out, and i'm also gonna experiment further with psychedelics, so it doesn't matter to me lol.
Old November 6th, 2016, 10:36 PM   #12
Neeplin

Neeplin's Forum Picture

Alcohol will cause liver cirrhosis,where the alcohol will stimulate acid secretion in the stomach, first resulting in more gastric ulcers and also lead to the destruction of liver cells. The destroyed liver cells will then be replaced with fibrous tissue, which makes the liver less able to function. Over time, it will lead to liver failure and then death. So, stay away from alcohol
Old November 7th, 2016, 07:07 AM   #13
DefinitelyNotY

Name: Yael

Some alcohol is good, but only that, some not to the point of not being able to remember anything of the last night
Old November 7th, 2016, 11:21 AM   #14
Reece L
Junior Member+

Reece L's Forum Picture

Name: Reece
Location: United Kingdom, originally from al-raqqah aka raqqa!

Alcohol is bad and deadly. But 1 shot is ok. BOOZ connects to repeaters , which control breathing, heart rate, etc, when you drunk and drink to much, the respatory system fails and stops you breathing, and causing heart failure.

Cannabis is the most common drug ever, and I smoke it a lot. Cannabis connects to cannabonids, not respatory system. But cannabis races the heart rate like f. Lowers blood pressure. So technically, people with high blood pressure, can make use of it. And can cure anxiety. Or can make anxiety more worse. Thing is, cannabis cannot kill. Trust me. I've tried to overdose. Smoked 11 ounces, and ate like 2 weed brownies.
Old November 11th, 2016, 02:17 PM   #15
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuckphace View Post
I doubt there's an effective difference between whiskey and vodka and whatever else - it's all the same ethyl alcohol no matter what type of liquor or brand it is.

alcohol does have some health benefits when consumed in moderate amounts, true, but it's prohibited for minors because the impact of its abuse (which is very serious) has to be managed. binge drinking is very unhealthy and causes significant long-term damage, like even if you get into a program and get clean you will still suffer residual damage from the booze. I know a couple of former alcoholics, one of them a relative who hasn't touched liquor for 6 years and still has health problems like nerve tremors and random outbursts/memory problems. not a good time fam
Well, I am an alcoholic, although a starting one.

---------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP, as an alcoholic. Yeah, it has benefits, but when you get addicted like I did, sobering up is a pain and the more you drink, the greater the damage. I mean I am 5 days sober and guess what? I get the shakes sometimes, I have moments where every single emotion occurs in my head at the same time. I am easy to piss off, I become a dick to say the least. That's the effect of 6 months of almost non-stop drinking had just on my body and mind, not to mention my grades, social life etc. My friend is helping me sober up. We talk regularly about this mess I made. Do you really want to risk this? I mean alcohol is quite probably one of the greatest gifts to humanity, but one of it's greatest curses. I fucked up so bad I had to throw away medicinal alcohol and a few booze bottles. Just by their presence they are taunting me.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
"Democracy is a dictatorship of the fools"
-Friedrich von Schiller (1759 1805)
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Old November 23rd, 2016, 12:49 AM   #16
dean96

Name: David

Having 1 shot once in a while is not harmful to your health. But the increase consumption of alcohol leads to many health problems. Alcohol addiction is very dangerous as it can turn your life into a total disaster. One my uncles had been addicted to alcohol and he beats up his children and wife very badly. We forced to take him to an addiction rehab centre in Toronto and he is under treatment. One of his children is suffering from Rhabdophobia. I'm not against alcohol consumption but I'm against the way everyone consumes it.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 08:10 AM   #17
bentheplayer
Member++

bentheplayer's Forum Picture

Name: Ben

Good lord. I think I should try clear this misconception. Alcohol is not good for you period. It is the other substances mainly anti-oxidants that happen to be found in wine/whiskey etc that might have some health benefits. Consumption of alcohol has long been statistically proven to be a risk factor for many kinds of diseases both chronic and terminal. Its mind blowing how people will go to such lengths to justify the consumption of alcohol. If you want those anti-oxidants there are loads of better sources such as berries. That said as alcohol is a risk factor, there are some who can drink loads and still not get any health issue. But do you think it is worth to take that risk?
Old November 23rd, 2016, 12:44 PM   #18
Dames
Banned

in moderation it can be good
Old December 1st, 2016, 03:41 AM   #19
Svetlana2000

Svetlana2000's Forum Picture

Name: Svetlana

i cant help it but i love it!
Old December 1st, 2016, 07:59 PM   #20
Hermes
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael75 View Post
...According to stats, alcohol (misuse) costs the NHS 3 billion a year on average - thats fucking wild. I honestly do not see how drugs like LSD, DMT and Psilocybin Mushrooms are illegal and alcohol is legal. No one has died from LSD, DMT or shrooms (by died i mean overdoses, only one person has died due to LSD since 1994, there's been no cases of death from DMT or shrooms.)
I think it is only because alcohol and tobacco have been used for such a long time by such a large number of people that they are not illegal. I think if either was discovered today it would be illegal.

That said, there is a strong argument that if a significant number of people can use it responsibly, then why should they be deprived of that freedom because some people do not moderate their consumption?

Also, prohibition has been tried. It resulted in the supply of alcohol, and the provision of places to consume it, being taken over by organised crime and the quality of product being reduced. The resulting crime and gang wars resulted forced the abandonment of prohibition. Today some people claim that it is time to admit having lost the war on all recreational drugs and allow them to be sold legally. This would, the proponents claim, improve the quality and reduce the price and therefore avoid much of the secondary crime associated with use: disputes over supply and payment and stealing to fund a habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeplin View Post
Alcohol will cause liver cirrhosis,where the alcohol will stimulate acid secretion in the stomach, first resulting in more gastric ulcers and also lead to the destruction of liver cells. The destroyed liver cells will then be replaced with fibrous tissue, which makes the liver less able to function. Over time, it will lead to liver failure and then death. So, stay away from alcohol
Cirrhosis is a chronic (long term) effect of high consumption. I don't have a typical figure for how much the consumption would have to be but it is certainly much higher than, for example having a glass of wine with each meal.

Getting rolling drunk every night of the week for twenty years would be much more likely to cause it. Also, by the time it becomes apparent that so much of the liver has been damaged it has too little working capacity to do its job it is too late.
Closed Thread