Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2014, 07:04 AM   #1
raempu
Junior Member+
 
raempu's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: February 9, 2014
Location: Netherlands
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 3
Exclamation Checked in today

Today I checked in to a mental institution for a minimum of 2 weeks..
I am very suicidal, that's why I'm here.
The doctors also say I am in a psychosis..
I don't know what to think of it. Do people have experiences with this?
Being in a mental institution ?
raempu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 11:45 AM   #2
Obsidian
Member+
 
Obsidian's Forum Picture
 
Name: Amanda
Join Date: July 31, 2013
Location: Michigan
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Default Re: Checked in today

I've been in a mental institution various times. I think that your experience will depend on your age, for one thing. The first time I was in the hospital I was around 14 and there were a lot of rules and guidelines that you had to follow. You couldn't have clothes with zippers, or strings. Anything that could potentially be used to harm yourself was not allowed. We all spent the majority of the day in one room... every once in awhile we'd have group therapy sessions. Some we would talk or fill out work sheets and others we would do crafts or there would be pet therapy. I honestly thought it was a pretty depressing place to be because the majority of the time I would have absolutely nothing to do and because I was in the same room all day for at least a week.

My second experience was much different because I was 18 and was admitted to an adult psychiatric hospital. I thought it would be a terrifying experience but it was much better than the first. You had the freedom to stay in your room whenever you wanted, though you were encouraged to go to therapy sessions, which were scheduled at different times throughout the day, in order to be released. There was a lot more freedom and I actually made a couple friends. It was actually a decent experience, very much unlike the other.

A big part of being in a mental hospital is medication. More often than not they prescribe you new medications to take and then keep you there to see how those medications affect you and if they seem to be working. The sooner they find something that works then the sooner you'll more than likely be able to leave.

I think your experience will greatly depend on what hospital you've been admitted to. Each hospital is different and has it's own policies, rules, and guidelines. My advice to you is just to try to take something away from your time there. Pay attention in therapy and really try to get the help that you need. A lot of people that I was in the hospital with were totally uncooperative and that's not the way to get help. You can be helped, you just have to be open to it.

I also think you'll find that mental hospitals aren't scary like they're often made out to be. For me they were actually a place where I felt safe. I met people who struggled with the same issues that I do and that I can relate to, which is such a relief when you have a mental illness. Knowing that there are people out there who understand what you're going through and who are going through it as well can be really helpful. For me being in the hospital meant I didn't have to be afraid to talk about my illness. I felt safe and comfortable to be completely who I am because I knew that people would understand.

I hope that this is a decent experience for you and that you end up getting the help you need. Good luck, and I hope things improve for you soon



Amanda. 19. I like music and huskies.

♪ The shadow proves the sunshine ♪

Last edited by Obsidian; February 19th, 2014 at 11:51 AM.
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #3
raempu
Junior Member+
 
raempu's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: February 9, 2014
Location: Netherlands
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Checked in today

Quote:
Originally Posted by star-gazer View Post
I've been in a mental institution various times. I think that your experience will depend on your age, for one thing. The first time I was in the hospital I was around 14 and there were a lot of rules and guidelines that you had to follow. You couldn't have clothes with zippers, or strings. Anything that could potentially be used to harm yourself was not allowed. We all spent the majority of the day in one room... every once in awhile we'd have group therapy sessions. Some we would talk or fill out work sheets and others we would do crafts or there would be pet therapy. I honestly thought it was a pretty depressing place to be because the majority of the time I would have absolutely nothing to do and because I was in the same room all day for at least a week.

My second experience was much different because I was 18 and was admitted to an adult psychiatric hospital. I thought it would be a terrifying experience but it was much better than the first. You had the freedom to stay in your room whenever you wanted, though you were encouraged to go to therapy sessions, which were scheduled at different times throughout the day, in order to be released. There was a lot more freedom and I actually made a couple friends. It was actually a decent experience, very much unlike the other.

A big part of being in a mental hospital is medication. More often than not they prescribe you new medications to take and then keep you there to see how those medications affect you and if they seem to be working. The sooner they find something that works then the sooner you'll more than likely be able to leave.

I think your experience will greatly depend on what hospital you've been admitted to. Each hospital is different and has it's own policies, rules, and guidelines. My advice to you is just to try to take something away from your time there. Pay attention in therapy and really try to get the help that you need. A lot of people that I was in the hospital with were totally uncooperative and that's not the way to get help. You can be helped, you just have to be open to it.

I also think you'll find that mental hospitals aren't scary like they're often made out to be. For me they were actually a place where I felt safe. I met people who struggled with the same issues that I do and that I can relate to, which is such a relief when you have a mental illness. Knowing that there are people out there who understand what you're going through and who are going through it as well can be really helpful. For me being in the hospital meant I didn't have to be afraid to talk about my illness. I felt safe and comfortable to be completely who I am because I knew that people would understand.

I hope that this is a decent experience for you and that you end up getting the help you need. Good luck, and I hope things improve for you soon
Thank you very much for telling about your experiences, I find them pretty usefull. I am in a sort of similar hospital as you were when you were 18.
I have quite a lot of freedom, and I have to go to my room to sleep at 22.00 (10 PM) and then I can do things on my room that I'd like to, like read or draw or be on my laptop or something.
You have quite a lot of freedom I think.
And I will do my best to get the best out of therapy and being here, because I really want to and want to get better.
raempu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #4
Obsidian
Member+
 
Obsidian's Forum Picture
 
Name: Amanda
Join Date: July 31, 2013
Location: Michigan
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Default Re: Checked in today

Quote:
Originally Posted by raempu View Post
Thank you very much for telling about your experiences, I find them pretty usefull. I am in a sort of similar hospital as you were when you were 18.
I have quite a lot of freedom, and I have to go to my room to sleep at 22.00 (10 PM) and then I can do things on my room that I'd like to, like read or draw or be on my laptop or something.
You have quite a lot of freedom I think.
And I will do my best to get the best out of therapy and being here, because I really want to and want to get better.
It sounds like the mental hospitals in your country are a lot better than the ones in the US. I've known a couple people from other countries who have been in mental hospitals and their experiences are a lot better than mine have been. Like I don't think there's a single mental hospital here that allows you internet access or anything like that. So you should consider yourself lucky lol. But anyway, I'm glad that I could help a little and I hope that it continues to be a good experience for you and that you get the help you need



Amanda. 19. I like music and huskies.

♪ The shadow proves the sunshine ♪
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #5
Bmble_B
Nice Poster
 
Bmble_B's Forum Picture
 
Name: Changed my mind
Join Date: February 16, 2014
Location: Lavender Town
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Default Re: Checked in today

Ive never been in a mental institution before. But I hope u get better dude!


I wonder what the world would be like without cellphones.

Let's Dance In The Rain.



I'm Different :3
Bmble_B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 03:25 AM   #6
raempu
Junior Member+
 
raempu's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: February 9, 2014
Location: Netherlands
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by star-gazer View Post
It sounds like the mental hospitals in your country are a lot better than the ones in the US. I've known a couple people from other countries who have been in mental hospitals and their experiences are a lot better than mine have been. Like I don't think there's a single mental hospital here that allows you internet access or anything like that. So you should consider yourself lucky lol. But anyway, I'm glad that I could help a little and I hope that it continues to be a good experience for you and that you get the help you need
Thank you! Yes you have pretty much freedom here, because they check all your stuff but they don't take everything you can hurt yourself with, although they take razors and stuff but that's logical..
I think that they are better here as you say, and thank you I hope I'll get better from this whole experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy78907 View Post
Ive never been in a mental institution before. But I hope u get better dude!
Thank you!

Last edited by Tarannosaurus; February 26th, 2014 at 05:20 PM. Reason: merged posts ~ Tara.
raempu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 05:30 AM   #7
AlanPeanuts
Junior Member+
 
Name: Alan
Join Date: February 22, 2014
Location: Missouri
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Default Re: Checked in today

Quote:
Originally Posted by star-gazer View Post
I've been in a mental institution various times. I think that your experience will depend on your age, for one thing. The first time I was in the hospital I was around 14 and there were a lot of rules and guidelines that you had to follow. You couldn't have clothes with zippers, or strings. Anything that could potentially be used to harm yourself was not allowed. We all spent the majority of the day in one room... every once in awhile we'd have group therapy sessions. Some we would talk or fill out work sheets and others we would do crafts or there would be pet therapy. I honestly thought it was a pretty depressing place to be because the majority of the time I would have absolutely nothing to do and because I was in the same room all day for at least a week.
That pretty much sums up my first experience, except we had a bit more freedoms I guess, and some things to do.
AlanPeanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 12:48 PM   #8
raempu
Junior Member+
 
raempu's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: February 9, 2014
Location: Netherlands
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Checked in today

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanPeanuts View Post
That pretty much sums up my first experience, except we had a bit more freedoms I guess, and some things to do.
Yeah I guess so, I have pretty much freedom and things to do I just can't leave my department, because it's a closed department so I can't go outside.
raempu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #9
ksdnfkfr
Banned
 
Join Date: August 28, 2013
Gender: Undisclosed
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Checked in today

Hey I'm really glad to hear that you are settled in and everything seems to be going well.
Wishing you a speedy and good recovery <3
ksdnfkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:40 AM   #10
raempu
Junior Member+
 
raempu's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: February 9, 2014
Location: Netherlands
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Checked in today

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir View Post
Hey I'm really glad to hear that you are settled in and everything seems to be going well.
Wishing you a speedy and good recovery <3
Thank you very much, I hope you feel good today
raempu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 01:12 PM   #11
Deiform
Nice Poster
 
Deiform's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: February 14, 2014
Location: In my room
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 11
Default Re: Checked in today

I have been in one inpatient and 2 outpatient day programs. You are not alone

15, Bi-Curious
Modded Minecraft, WoW and Euro Truck Simulator 2
90 Undead Survival Hunter
"Words hurt, I have scars to prove it"- Unknown
FOR THE HORDE!!!

Deiform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #12
raempu
Junior Member+
 
raempu's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: February 9, 2014
Location: Netherlands
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Checked in today

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateGamer View Post
I have been in one inpatient and 2 outpatient day programs. You are not alone
Thank you you are not alone either.
raempu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #13
Lovecraft
Junior Member+
 
Lovecraft's Forum Picture
 
Name: Catharine
Join Date: February 25, 2014
Location: R'lyeh, summer home in Apocrypha
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Default Re: Checked in today

Quote:
Originally Posted by raempu View Post
Today I checked in to a mental institution for a minimum of 2 weeks..
I am very suicidal, that's why I'm here.
The doctors also say I am in a psychosis..
I don't know what to think of it. Do people have experiences with this?
Being in a mental institution ?
I was an inpatient in a mental hospital for a few days.

It was gross. The food is literally the worst thing. The chicken tasted like rubber and the peas were all warm and disgusting. You don't get anything substantial and you don't have a choice regarding what you put in your body. The rooms are hypersterile and there are cameras that will watch you sleep. The other people mostly keep to themselves or watch TV if they're allowed free roam of the place. You get pulled into side rooms for questioning pretty frequently and you'll have to repeat your story a lot.

It didn't help me at all, honestly, and it only re-enforced my disdain for psychiatrists and doctors. So much ignorance and jumping to conclusions over those three days. Ugh.

That was just for me, though. I know some people for whom being admitted has turned around their lives and I hope that you can be one of those people. Good luck.
Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 12:28 AM   #14
Pulp501
Nice Poster
 
Name: Brennon
Join Date: December 26, 2013
Location: Missouri
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: Checked in today

I was in one against my will for a week. I didn't have internet like it seems you do if you are on here, or have you not actually gone there yet? I didn't want to be there, but I know I needed to be. It isn't a fun place, but it's a safe place and you can get the help you need. I hope you do well there, and it's probably going to be a long journey to get back to where you should be mentally. Good luck!
About the place I was in, it can be different in different places, but where I was we did a lot of group therapy, and we had some activities and stuff. They keep you busy throughout the day. My family was able to bring me lunch everyday. On weekends we watched movies all day. It wasn't bad, it's just hard because you are isolated from the outside world, well you watch the news, but can't contact friends.
To add to what someone said to my experiences, the food was fine, and the people were fine, but the doctors were annoying, you constantly had to tell your story over and over and they do jump to conclusions about you, but they still help some.

PM sometime, I love to talk



RIP Mama <3
Pulp501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #15
raempu
Junior Member+
 
raempu's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: February 9, 2014
Location: Netherlands
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovecraft View Post
I was an inpatient in a mental hospital for a few days.

It was gross. The food is literally the worst thing. The chicken tasted like rubber and the peas were all warm and disgusting. You don't get anything substantial and you don't have a choice regarding what you put in your body. The rooms are hypersterile and there are cameras that will watch you sleep. The other people mostly keep to themselves or watch TV if they're allowed free roam of the place. You get pulled into side rooms for questioning pretty frequently and you'll have to repeat your story a lot.

It didn't help me at all, honestly, and it only re-enforced my disdain for psychiatrists and doctors. So much ignorance and jumping to conclusions over those three days. Ugh.

That was just for me, though. I know some people for whom being admitted has turned around their lives and I hope that you can be one of those people. Good luck.
Thank you for your story, I think it's a little bit similar to my hospital.
The food is really disgusting too, and there camera's in my room to, except for my bathroom but that's logical I think. It's privacy.

And other than that, we can go to our 'living room' where we can watch tv if we like to, but we have like strict times you have to be in your room for a certain period of time.
I think my hospital has a little bit more freedom than yours..
I have to be in like conversations a lot with psychiatrists like you said, and it didn't help me till today but maybe that will come, at least I hope so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp501 View Post
I was in one against my will for a week. I didn't have internet like it seems you do if you are on here, or have you not actually gone there yet? I didn't want to be there, but I know I needed to be. It isn't a fun place, but it's a safe place and you can get the help you need. I hope you do well there, and it's probably going to be a long journey to get back to where you should be mentally. Good luck!
About the place I was in, it can be different in different places, but where I was we did a lot of group therapy, and we had some activities and stuff. They keep you busy throughout the day. My family was able to bring me lunch everyday. On weekends we watched movies all day. It wasn't bad, it's just hard because you are isolated from the outside world, well you watch the news, but can't contact friends.
To add to what someone said to my experiences, the food was fine, and the people were fine, but the doctors were annoying, you constantly had to tell your story over and over and they do jump to conclusions about you, but they still help some.
Thank you very much for sharing with me, I think it is a little bit similar and yes I have internet connection here, and I can use my laptop that's really nice.
I can also keep my phone and talk to whoever I want to, except in times we are doing things with the group and stuff like eat dinner or lunch or breakfast.
I have talks with psychiatrists here and they are trying to give me a diagnoses again maybe I have more things going on than they already have diagnosed.

So yeah and we watch movies to but you don't have to watch if you don't want to. You can be in your room or in the living room or kitchen whenever you like, but I am more of a loner person so I spend more time in my room.
I have to be here for 2 weeks or longer, I can leave at 7 march.

Thanks for sharing your story again, and maybe if you want to talk about something you can send me a message.

Last edited by Tarannosaurus; February 26th, 2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: merged posts ~ Tara.
raempu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #16
John566
Junior Member+
 
Join Date: February 4, 2014
Location: Brisbane
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Default Re: Checked in today

Sorry to hear that man. It sounds like you're getting better though so that's good. It's good that you can have the net as well....I didn't know they allowed that lol. Be well
John566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:22 AM   #17
raempu
Junior Member+
 
raempu's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: February 9, 2014
Location: Netherlands
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Checked in today

Quote:
Originally Posted by John566 View Post
Sorry to hear that man. It sounds like you're getting better though so that's good. It's good that you can have the net as well....I didn't know they allowed that lol. Be well
I am getting worse since yesterday but I feel more safe here so that's good. Thank you for your support, and yes they allow that in my hospital. I live in Holland and it's not very very strict here.
I can go to sites I want but some are not allowed and blocked.
raempu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #18
ksdnfkfr
Banned
 
Join Date: August 28, 2013
Gender: Undisclosed
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Checked in today

Quote:
Originally Posted by raempu View Post
I am getting worse since yesterday but I feel more safe here so that's good. Thank you for your support, and yes they allow that in my hospital. I live in Holland and it's not very very strict here.
I can go to sites I want but some are not allowed and blocked.
Sorry to hear you are having a setback but glad you are feeling safer.
Keep us updated because we do care how you are doing
ksdnfkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2014, 03:54 PM   #19
raempu
Junior Member+
 
raempu's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: February 9, 2014
Location: Netherlands
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Checked in today

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir View Post
Sorry to hear you are having a setback but glad you are feeling safer.
Keep us updated because we do care how you are doing
I will update you guys, I am at home right now because I could for the weekend, it's going very bad but tomorrow I am going back to the mental hospital for a week maybe longer..
raempu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2014, 08:37 PM   #20
UnLoving
New Member
 
Name: Eva
Join Date: March 1, 2014
Location: Planet Earth
Gender: Female
Default Re: Checked in today

I have personally never been in one, but my cousin frequently checks in and is currently in the hospital, due to a schizophrenic relapse. I've experienced a lot of his behavior, but he never really talks about what it's like in the hospital, so I'm not really sure on that part. Anyway, good luck!
UnLoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2017
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2017, VirtualTeen.org