Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old December 18th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #1
Dalton_Holt
Junior Member+

Dalton_Holt's Forum Picture

Name: Dalton
Location: In a galaxy, far far away...(with access to Earth wifi)
Post So I think I might have ADD

Or ADHD. Whichever one. Thing is, I haven't gone to a psychologist or anything. I can tell that something is "wrong" and I think it's most likely ADD, based on what I know about it. I'm not giving myself a self diagnosis or anything because I know those usually are not accurate, I'm just saying it's my best guess. So anyway, I'm gonna be seeing a psychologist eventually, maybe sooner than later, but honestly I'm a little paranoid as to what the psychological and drug therapy might do to me if I actually am diagnosed with something. Honestly I kind of like the symptoms, even though they potentially compromise much of my personal life. So anyway, what I wanna know from you guys is how the meds you've received have effected you. I know it's different for everyone and there are dozens of different meds but I can still get a general idea. So have the meds helped you? Have they actually harmed you? Would you say they made a significant change to the way you think?
Old January 5th, 2016, 05:26 PM   #2
kailynr

kailynr's Forum Picture

Name: Kailyn
Default Re: So I think I might have ADD

First, thanks for posting. So many of us are afraid of being labeled as being "different" or "weird" that we stay in the shadows. *points to self*

Second, I can tell you that my Concerta 18 mg ER has done *wonders* for me. I've been on it about a year now, and I can finally focus on things when it's necessary for me to do so, not just whenever I will, say, pick up a good book. There's that part of my ADD as well -- the ability to "hyperfocus" to the point that I get very grumpy about being interrupted. I can now sit and bang out a paper in what I feel is a proper way, instead of constantly putting things off and getting distracted over and over and over again.

Your doctor should, if it is decided to try a medication for the symptoms, go for the lowest dose that works for you. That may take some time. I was lucky in that I hit the "jackpot" dose immediately. However, the first few weeks were some adjustment -- I felt warm all over, got the shakes more easily (though not ever *badly*), but oddly, my restless legs calmed down. Weird. I also wanted to mention that mine makes me feel as if it's there when I need it, but I don't really notice it when I don't need to draw off of it, if that makes any sense. It's like having a well from which one can pull water.

My appetite also came back into line. In the last two years before I was on the medication, I consumed calories like there was no tomorrow. Yeah, some of that is normal teenage raid-the-refrigerator stuff, but mine just wasn't right and I knew it. Since I began the Concerta, I've gone back to what I consider normal eating routine. I still have to watch out for the coffee, though. Blonde roasts. Medium or Dark and I leave fingerprints in the ceiling.

The psychological counseling I've gotten has been marvelous. Mainly it's been about putting order back into my life, structuring my days better, using a planner effectively, and so on. Yes, I've had some frustrations that I've had to get out -- mainly about a little bit of an increase in impulsive behaviors early on (though much less so now).

I hope that is helpful. I don't know what others have experienced, but that's been mine.

Good luck, and hang in there. There are a LOT of us out here.

Redhead Extraordinaire
Old January 14th, 2016, 02:48 AM   #3
eagle18
Nice Poster

there good and bad to meds depending on if you have side effects. I am terrible in school and cant focus or pass classes unless im on meds. now outside of school, im fine without meds if im doing something I love. so many kids today are diagnosed with adhd its not even considered weird. I never really had bad side effects, but I do know I acted differently on and off of it. ive learned to control myself and my actions, knowing whats being stupid or annoying to people and try and keep myself behaved so I don't need to be on meds. but everyone is different.
Old April 13th, 2016, 03:51 AM   #4
jdhud024
Member+

jdhud024's Forum Picture

Name: JD

I'm ADHD, and I take 40 milligrams of Adderall a day. I was a little worried about how the drug would work, but after the first day of being on it i will never go back. For me it is a night and day difference. Within 30 minutes I go from being extremely energetic where my mind goes 100mph in 20 different directions to being calm, being able to actually have more control over what I need and don't need to focus on, and just being able to sit still.

My advice is to get the help you need. Adderall works fine for me, I know people that the only thing that works for them is Vyvanse. My only problem with Vyvanse I had was that it would make me stay up for hours, when I need to be asleep. I rarely have that happen with Adderall, though there are a few nights, maybe once or twice every two weeks, that I'll be up all night, but it doesn't matter because when I take my daily dosage in the morning I'll be fine and not drowsy at all.
Old November 19th, 2016, 09:17 AM   #5
Dames
Banned

i think I may have it too :O
Old November 19th, 2016, 09:26 AM   #6
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Endeavour's Forum Picture

This thread was bumped.

Global Moderator