Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old July 7th, 2016, 08:06 AM   #1
qwertyjack987

Default How To Get Fit and In Shape?

Hi. I am not fat, in fact I am actually quite thin, but I am extremely unfit and have not a lot of muscle mass. How can I gain a bit of muscle mass and get really fit. At this point I can't run any further then 100 meters before getting out of breath. Also, what if it is raining? That always seems to stop me working out. I am 16.
qwertyjack987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 09:49 AM   #2
Flapjack
Good Egg

Flapjack's Forum Picture

Default Re: How To Get Fit and In Shape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyjack987 View Post
Hi. I am not fat, in fact I am actually quite thin, but I am extremely unfit and have not a lot of muscle mass. How can I gain a bit of muscle mass and get really fit. At this point I can't run any further then 100 meters before getting out of breath. Also, what if it is raining? That always seems to stop me working out. I am 16.
What do you want? The big biceps and the 6 pack or do you want to run really far or lift loads?

I'm a prettyyy awkward weeb that likes alcohol and punk rock :')
Flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 09:59 AM   #3
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

As Flapjack mentioned, what your goals are will determine what type of work you can do. As far as the rain excuse, try to get a membership at a gym if at all possible. may of them have some good deals and if you go regularly, it really can be worth the amount of money you pay.

to run more, you need to do more cardio (running/jogging, biking, more cardio machines). for more muscles, you want to left weights/use the weight machines. for more absolute power, you want higher weights with less reps, for more toning and stuff you want it to weigh a little less but more reps.

the nice thing about a gym is even if a instructor is not included (they will at least show you how to use the machines and stuff if asked), many times there will be other people there who can not only give you good advice, but help encourage you as well.

also, diet. I eat bad stuff still, but you got to eat the right stuff and make sure you are not eating more then you are burning off/using. eat more fruits, vegetables, stuff like that (when it comes to diet though I am not the best teacher, which is why I have to work out so often haha)

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 04:40 PM   #4
Harrier
Awesome Poster

What they all said. Make goals. Imo you should try to both get cardio fit and in shape to look good (muscles). It just makes sense. I mean your doctor would be worried if you get winded after running 100 meters. That's not good for your heart! Make goals that are not easy but not impossible, maybe ones that you can reach in a month or 2. Like run 30 minutes or 3 miles. Maybe do 100 pushups and 100 crunches in a 24-hour day. So day one would be just to run 5 minutes or around the block and do 10 push ups and crunches. And just build off that. Good luck!
Harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 08:01 PM   #5
Iri_dium
Banned

Iri_dium's Forum Picture

Name: Amanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyjack987 View Post
I don't see the problem if you really want to get fit But I think that you need to start from smth simple and not to demand from your body too much at the start Try to make some basic exercise comples every day, also such practises as yoga, pilates etc. are good because they help to make your body stronger and healthier, preparing it to more difficult sport activities A good idea is also going to the gym, prectising with such stuff is really effective and useful Besides in th gym you can consult with your fitness trainer and create your individual training programm with his help
Iri_dium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #6
Voice_Of_Unreason
Awesome Poster

Voice_Of_Unreason's Forum Picture

Hi there! I have never joined any gym, which I know is expensive for a 16 year old like yourself. If you want to gain muscle mass, here are a few tips.

Goals: No, not soccer goals. Set exercise goals. Without well defined goals, you are not going to get anywhere in life. Set a goal for where you want to be after all this exercise. Do you want to be ripped, or do you simply want some more muscle. Do you want greater arm, strength or greater leg strength.

Take your time: Too many people start off too hard with exercises and promptly quit. Slowly take your time with exercises, gradually increasing in difficulty. Perhaps for the first week you do a mile walk and 10 pushups and situps everyday. The next week go up to a 2 mile walk and 20 push ups and situps everyday. Once that gets easy, do a week of a mile run and 25 push ups and situps everyday. Little by little you will gain muscle.

Variation: I recommend doing a variety of exercises. Just running or just weight lifting is fine, but overall it is better to have muscle in both your legs and arms. Also, variation of exercises keep your routine from going bland. Perhaps one week you could do pull ups, and the next week do sit ups. Or switch back and forth between running and walking.

Purpose: For exercising, you need some sort of purpose. Perhaps you could volunteer to cut up wood for a local elder, or to do landscaping. Part of my exercises involves me moving rocks and logs from the forest to a big pile I use for fire and art projects. Give your exercise a purpose, and you won't even realize you are doing exercise.
Voice_Of_Unreason is offline   Reply With Quote