Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 29th, 2016, 06:39 AM   #1
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

Name: Stephen
Default Mentors

I've had a thought. Perhaps a system could be set up where members who are possibly older or are experienced from things in their own life, such as having had depression for example, could mentor members who are currently experiencing the same thing. Another variation of this idea is that people could have accountability partners. So two people going through similar things could have regular communication to encourage each other and be accountable. So by setting this up in a somewhat formal way might help people not feel alone or isolated with their stuff in their life. People often post and get replies, but more often than not, that's where things stop. You'd obviously have to have some sort of framework and boundaries for it, but it could work.

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~
~Jessi should have been here~
Gumleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 07:11 AM   #2
Flapjack
Good Egg

Flapjack's Forum Picture

Default Re: Mentors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumleaf View Post
I've had a thought. Perhaps a system could be set up where members who are possibly older or are experienced from things in their own life, such as having had depression for example, could mentor members who are currently experiencing the same thing. Another variation of this idea is that people could have accountability partners. So two people going through similar things could have regular communication to encourage each other and be accountable. So by setting this up in a somewhat formal way might help people not feel alone or isolated with their stuff in their life. People often post and get replies, but more often than not, that's where things stop. You'd obviously have to have some sort of framework and boundaries for it, but it could work.
Oh my gosh this sounds like an awesome idea!!! My only issue with it is I'm not sure how it would be implemented??

I'm a prettyyy awkward weeb that likes alcohol and punk rock :')
Flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Feraligatr
Water Type

Feraligatr's Forum Picture

I love this idea, but what if one member takes advantage of it? I know it wouldn't be common, but what if someone tells a person to kill themselves? Can it be implemented so the moderators can see the conversations?
Feraligatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #4
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feraligatr View Post
I love this idea, but what if one member takes advantage of it? I know it wouldn't be common, but what if someone tells a person to kill themselves? Can it be implemented so the moderators can see the conversations?
That's a fair point and why there would need to be a framework and boundaries to make this work. I think in your example, that for a suicidal person we should be encouraging professional help rather than an accountability partner or mentor. I think this would be more suited for a person with a milder form of depression or who has anxiety etc. My idea would be that mentoring/accountability would occur onsite using the pm system which can be moderated by admins when appropriate. The possibility that convo's would continue offsite is something that can't be helped and is hard to control, so that is a risk. Members who would like an accountability partner/mentor would request one in an appropriate thread and the staff would choose a mentor/account partner for them based on similar character and competency checks that take place when staff elect new moderators.

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~
Old May 29th, 2016, 11:06 PM   #5
StoppingTom
Great Poster

StoppingTom's Forum Picture

Name: Tom

If the nuts and bolts of the idea can be worked out and there are people willing, I'd be down for that. I wasn't around back when it was a thing, so maybe a staff member whose been around longer can tell me if this is close to the Counselor thing that existed however long ago?

General Discussions Mod~ If you need me for whatever reason: [email protected]
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ makin my way downtown ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Want to join a simple and fun RPG? Join here!
StoppingTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 07:03 AM   #6
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giygas View Post
If the nuts and bolts of the idea can be worked out and there are people willing, I'd be down for that. I wasn't around back when it was a thing, so maybe a staff member whose been around longer can tell me if this is close to the Counselor thing that existed however long ago?
Yes, many years ago there was a counsellor role. It was disbanded with due to lack of activity. The main differences between the old counsellor role and this suggestion are that the role of the counsellor was very general, meaning that they usually didn't have a great knowledge of most things unless they had experienced it themselves. So members would talk to these counsellor staff members, but they really could do no more than listen and be empathetic. In this suggestion a person seeking help would be paired up with someone who has at least had similar experiences themselves.

Another thing I thought of too, if this was implemented, that a mentor/accountability partner wouldn't be committed long term and that approximately every three months it would be re-evaluated meaning if both people want to keep going with it, then so be it. But if it's not working for someone or they have moved on, then that's okay too.

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~
Old May 30th, 2016, 07:37 AM   #7
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

I pile the idea a lot and I'd be willing to help and volunteer in this if it gets set up and under way. Think there are many manners who join expecting to get a Serbian response or level of support only to find it's not there. This could help augment that
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 08:11 AM   #8
Body odah Man
VT Lover

Body odah Man's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumleaf View Post
Sounds good.

Just a chilling teen that hates baths, collects Yugioh cards and loves Runescape
Body odah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 12:14 PM   #9
Judean Zealot
Awesome Poster

Judean Zealot's Forum Picture

Name: Cato

I'm just concerned about members using that trust to prey on kids. Otherwise it sounds like a good idea to me.

"Absolute tolerance is altogether impossible; the allegedly absolute tolerance turns into ferocious hatred of those who have stated clearly and most forcefully that there are unchangeable standards founded in the nature of man and the nature of things."
-Leo Strauss, Liberalism: Ancient and Modern
Judean Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #10
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judean Zealot View Post
I'm just concerned about members using that trust to prey on kids. Otherwise it sounds like a good idea to me.
That's a huge concern tbh. The convos would need to be moderated somehow.
Not sure who mentioned that, but seems to me that's already in place, and might just need to be activated

But there may also need to be a policy that ALL communications between the member and the mentor stay inside the forum. Going outside won't allow for any moderation
Old May 30th, 2016, 02:15 PM   #11
Dalcourt
VT Lover

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

Sounds way too complicated to to me make this work and prevent abuse.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 11:07 AM   #12
Flapjack
Good Egg

Flapjack's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feraligatr View Post
mods can already see PMs and maybe the mentors would be more senior members of the community. Not necessarily a mod but someone with a 2500+ post counted that is like and trusted by the community.

Old June 1st, 2016, 02:42 PM   #13
Periphery
Professional Spivak

Periphery's Forum Picture

My concern here is that if the convo's are moderated people might not like to talk about personal stuff knowing that someone is reading it all.

That and the creep danger.

@TheFlapjack you still need to find people who are willing to do that though. Not every 2500+ post member wants it.

When you're taught to love everyone, to love your enemies, then what value does that place on love?
-Marilyn Manson

Android? We can't be friends sorry!!!!!
-Proof Bob is a peasant

~Richelle was here~
Periphery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2016, 02:50 PM   #14
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
My concern here is that if the convo's are moderated people might not like to talk about personal stuff knowing that someone is reading it all.

That and the creep danger.

@TheFlapjack you still need to find people who are willing to do that though. Not every 2500+ post member wants it.
There's 2 sides to that. 1) they are already able to read, if they choose or feels it's needed. 2) if someone is serious about helping/wanting help, it really won't matter. In a nut shell, if you have nothing to hide, then there is no problem is there?
Old June 1st, 2016, 03:06 PM   #15
Flapjack
Good Egg

Flapjack's Forum Picture

Quote:
Yeahhh but I think we are a really awesome community and maybe 2500+ posts was a little highXD

Just someone trusted by the staff on the site.

As for reading the messges, leave it as it currently is where the mods can read any pms they feel the need to. Maybe a little systematically because of the creep risk.

there could also be a rule such as no contact outside of VT.

Old June 1st, 2016, 03:06 PM   #16
Periphery
Professional Spivak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJreversed View Post
There's 2 sides to that. 1) they are already able to read, if they choose or feels it's needed. 2) if someone is serious about helping/wanting help, it really won't matter. In a nut shell, if you have nothing to hide, then there is no problem is there?
True but some people tend to be extremely anxious about these things.

When you're taught to love everyone, to love your enemies, then what value does that place on love?
-Marilyn Manson

-Proof Bob is a peasant

~Richelle was here~
Old June 1st, 2016, 08:46 PM   #17
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Quote:
True but some people tend to be extremely anxious about these things.
I know, I really do. But, there's a certian sense of security and anonymity here as well.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 12:24 AM   #18
Periphery
Professional Spivak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJreversed View Post
I know, I really do. But, there's a certian sense of security and anonymity here as well.
I know there is, but will they know?

-Marilyn Manson

-Proof Bob is a peasant

~Richelle was here~