Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: Should the chatroom come back?
Yes 27 93.10%
No 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21st, 2016, 06:30 AM   #1
Periphery
Professional Spivak

Periphery's Forum Picture

Default Chatroom

Well, I, as allot of people on here, would love to see the chatroom back. It's been months, if not a year since it dissapeared. It was a way of finding new friends on here, a way for new people to feel more welcome, a place to talk about whatever you want to talk about. It was fun, it really was. People got to know eachother way better.

Now, I have a few questions, first of all, why was it removed? I know there were problems with moderating it, but is that the only reason? If a staff member can't be on 24/7 to check it then select other people to keep an eye on the chatroom.

Second of all, why isn't it back yet? Come on guys, that's the problem here? You can tell me I'm ready to listen to the reasons.

We're a democracy right? The vote of the people wins!

(Don't let me down VT, you guys want it back)

When you're taught to love everyone, to love your enemies, then what value does that place on love?
-Marilyn Manson

Android? We can't be friends sorry!!!!!
-Proof Bob is a peasant

~Richelle was here~

Last edited by Periphery; May 21st, 2016 at 07:52 AM.
Periphery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 08:44 AM   #2
Sonicomsk

Sonicomsk's Forum Picture

Name: Oleg

Quote:
I'd just like to put this out there. I don't want you to think that we just gave up. We've been burned three times now in trying to integrate a new chatroom. We've spent a lot of money that got put to no use, spent many hours on things that didn't work out, and put a lot of effort into trying to make them work. The reason why we haven't gone back to addonchat is because Apple stopped supporting Java and the chat does not work properly (at all) with apple computers, which is something we can't have. We have tried alternatives, which seemed to be reputable options, which also did not work out for one reason or another, main reason being proper integration with the database. We haven't forgotten about the chat, and we're not giving up on it entirely, but it's a lot to swallow when you've thrown that kind of money in the garbage and need to start over again. I'm sorry it's taken this long, it wasn't the plan.
March 15th, 2016, 09:14 PM
http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/sh....php?t=2026328

But for me chat would be great place to hang out. I'd like to make new friends and imo in chat rooms it's a bit easier.

cyka blyat

Last edited by azure moonstone; May 21st, 2016 at 10:47 AM. Reason: double
Sonicomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 09:06 AM   #3
Periphery
Professional Spivak

Default Re: Chatroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicomsk View Post
I've seen that post, doesn't hurt trying though.

When you're taught to love everyone, to love your enemies, then what value does that place on love?
-Marilyn Manson

-Proof Bob is a peasant

~Richelle was here~
Old May 21st, 2016, 12:04 PM   #4
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

I'm not an admin so I wasn't one of the people involved with trying to get it working, but know that it hasn't been forgotten about and there are active efforts to get something up and running. We're not opposed to a chatroom, but being able to moderate effectively is absolutely crucial on a site like VT. I don't think I need to point out why.

It's not back yet because our admins are all adults with busy lives outside of VT who have been trying tirelessly (and fruitlessly) to get a better chat system up that actually works but it's difficult to get the best of both worlds and the right compromise isn't so easy to make either. It's not a matter of convincing us to get a chatroom - we want one too, trust me. It's not a matter of money, either.

I don't know why you expect any of these answers to have changed at any point.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 05:47 PM   #5
Typhlosion
Fire-type Metalhead

Typhlosion's Forum Picture

Name: Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
Now, I have a few questions, first of all, why was it removed? I know there were problems with moderating it, but is that the only reason? If a staff member can't be on 24/7 to check it then select other people to keep an eye on the chatroom.

Second of all, why isn't it back yet? Come on guys, that's the problem here? You can tell me I'm ready to listen to the reasons.
It wasn't closed because of lack of moderation, but because Java is no longer supported on chrome and a lot of people use chrome. It's a shame it's not here anymore, but really, we should be grateful that VT is here and the knowledge that the Admins are aware of it. This site isn't a democracy, you know (imagine the votes from the P101 crowd) and the admins are busy with many other things too... Your message kinda came off rude, at least in my perspective :l

Formerly at your service! ^^
Ex-GD Mod

Straight / Atheist / Metalhead / Right-wing / Aspie
Typhlosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 08:52 PM   #6
StoppingTom
Great Poster

StoppingTom's Forum Picture

Name: Tom

??????

It's like..

Completely ignoring the fact that Mike and the rest of the admins haven't been working their tails off trying to get this to work? Apple doesn't support the old chatbox, and other reputable services have a hard time integrating with the site. These things cost money to run, and wasting money on a non-reputable (read: insecure) chat feature is a disaster and a half waiting to happen.

General Discussions Mod~ If you need me for whatever reason: [email protected]
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ makin my way downtown ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Want to join a simple and fun RPG? Join here!
StoppingTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 03:42 AM   #7
Periphery
Professional Spivak

I know the staff have been working their asses of, of course I do. But if it costs so much to find another alternative, mayb e put op a Teamspeak server? Then it's not too expensive, and it works.

I know the staff have been working hard to find a new chatroom, but how many times was it going to be back very soon? I know I might come of rude, of course I do. I hope they're not instantly paying for every alternative they see though, maybe do some indept research on them before wasting money on stuff that doesn't work.

-Marilyn Manson

-Proof Bob is a peasant

~Richelle was here~
Old May 22nd, 2016, 10:46 AM   #8
StoppingTom
Great Poster

...That's exactly what they're doing. In-depth research. Which is why we don't have anything, because nothing has come up that is worth using.

And Teamspeak is like Skype, there are members who don't feel comfortable giving out contact information, where a chatbox directly integrated into the forum makes it so they don't have to do that.

Old May 22nd, 2016, 10:52 AM   #9
Periphery
Professional Spivak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giygas View Post
...That's exactly what they're doing. In-depth research. Which is why we don't have anything, because nothing has come up that is worth using.

And Teamspeak is like Skype, there are members who don't feel comfortable giving out contact information, where a chatbox directly integrated into the forum makes it so they don't have to do that.
If they are doing indept research well then.

There is a thread literally in the forum above us where people are coming with solutions, just saying.

-Marilyn Manson

-Proof Bob is a peasant

~Richelle was here~
Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:04 AM   #10
StoppingTom
Great Poster

Quote:
If they are doing indept research well then.

There is a thread literally in the forum above us where people are coming with solutions, just saying.
I get that, but it isn't as simple as coming up with a solution and then using it. We need something that, with a site like VT, needs to be highly secure, and give moderators the freedom to their job, WHILE not forcing members to give out contact info. For all the people going "Oh, I could just code one for u guys!!" in the words of a wise person: They won't let some random Jack SlapsALot dig around in the forum code. Us mods can't do that. That's something only an admin can do. Consider for a moment, if we DID let someone do that, or we just said "fuck it" and used a system we knew wasn't secure. Suddenly, people's IP addresses or being logged and you and hundreds of people are being doxxed. Do you know the legal repercussions of that? Do you know who's gonna be responsible? It would be the administrators fault.

The point of this thread was asking if the chat should come back, as if there were people on the staff who were against the idea. Make no mistake, we ALL want it. We think it would be great, a more streamlined way to talk to you guys? Absolutely! I can also appreciate that people want to help and give suggestions, but this is way, way more nuanced and complicated than it appears.

Old May 22nd, 2016, 02:34 PM   #11
Periphery
Professional Spivak

Quote:
I get that, but it isn't as simple as coming up with a solution and then using it. We need something that, with a site like VT, needs to be highly secure, and give moderators the freedom to their job, WHILE not forcing members to give out contact info. For all the people going "Oh, I could just code one for u guys!!" in the words of a wise person: They won't let some random Jack SlapsALot dig around in the forum code. Us mods can't do that. That's something only an admin can do. Consider for a moment, if we DID let someone do that, or we just said "fuck it" and used a system we knew wasn't secure. Suddenly, people's IP addresses or being logged and you and hundreds of people are being doxxed. Do you know the legal repercussions of that? Do you know who's gonna be responsible? It would be the administrators fault.

The point of this thread was asking if the chat should come back, as if there were people on the staff who were against the idea. Make no mistake, we ALL want it. We think it would be great, a more streamlined way to talk to you guys? Absolutely! I can also appreciate that people want to help and give suggestions, but this is way, way more nuanced and complicated than it appears.
The thing is, is VT highly secure? With frequent accounts being banned because it's some guy pretending to be a girl. Creeps in the puberty sections etc. Yes I understand you want to control the chat room, and that is neccesary, of course it is!

Of course you won't let random people write code for the forum itself, but they can easily make a small test site and try to get it working on there. I never said you didn't have to carefull, I never did. The problem I have here is just that we have been told it would come back, mods said it would be back soon, then suddenly the subject is dropped for months. That is what's bothering me.

-Marilyn Manson

-Proof Bob is a peasant

~Richelle was here~
Old May 22nd, 2016, 03:05 PM   #12
StoppingTom
Great Poster

Quote:
The thing is, is VT highly secure? With frequent accounts being banned because it's some guy pretending to be a girl. Creeps in the puberty sections etc. Yes I understand you want to control the chat room, and that is neccesary, of course it is!

Of course you won't let random people write code for the forum itself, but they can easily make a small test site and try to get it working on there. I never said you didn't have to carefull, I never did. The problem I have here is just that we have been told it would come back, mods said it would be back soon, then suddenly the subject is dropped for months. That is what's bothering me.
You can't stop someone from simply registering which is why we pay attention to patterns in IP addresses, emails, referrals, etc. We get rid of double accounters, overage people, etc. frighteningly quickly. And the subject hasn't been dropped, you're completely missing the point. The admins HAVE been looking at this non-stop, and Mike had even stated that they were still working on it, and nothing has been able to come out of it.

Old May 23rd, 2016, 12:18 AM   #13
Uranus
Mah Home

Uranus's Forum Picture

Name: Thomas (Yung Merk)

Quote:
Well, I, as allot of people on here, would love to see the chatroom back. It's been months, if not a year since it dissapeared. It was a way of finding new friends on here, a way for new people to feel more welcome, a place to talk about whatever you want to talk about. It was fun, it really was. People got to know eachother way better.

We're a democracy right? The vote of the people wins!

(Don't let me down VT, you guys want it back)

Ill probably sound like a dick but at least I'll get to the point.

"If a staff member can't be on 24/7 to check it then select other people to keep an eye on the chatroom."

First we had chat logs, meaning we don't need someone on 24/7, its nearly impossible to have multiple people there on an hourly basis. Second, you got an idea of who to "keep an eye"? I would suggest mods, But isn't that already a thing?

"Why isn't it back"

Oh, I don't know, its not like Mike, Val, Steven, and any of the other staff are busy with work, classes, family, paying bills and shit.

Also, it costs money to get a chat room, a decent one at that. Mike is being very genourous by paying to have Virtualteen.org stay up alone, when already having to pay bills, which can be very stressfu'll.

Also, chat rooms aren't the only way to communicate with others. And with no disrespect it was honestly probably the most difficult way when you can make group chats via Skype or other various messagiby apps or e-mailing when you don't have to have a tab open continously when trying to communicate.

And I have to disagree, just because a few teens vote "yes" more than "no" on bringing a chat room back, on a forum site, doesn't mean it's coming back, unless you want to pay for it all, in that case get Mike's PayPal and I'll check for A chat room next week.

On a side note, VT was and still is a place to help teens dealing with issues, not to be a new omegle. Not saying you can't talk whatsoever, but it's not that big a deal, afterall you still can easily talk with anyone you want, plus it's not going to be free, unless it's complete shit, the mods are doing their best, why ask for more?

#ThugLife
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2016, 12:30 AM   #14
Periphery
Professional Spivak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental View Post
Ill probably sound like a dick but at least I'll get to the point.

"If a staff member can't be on 24/7 to check it then select other people to keep an eye on the chatroom."

First we had chat logs, meaning we don't need someone on 24/7, its nearly impossible to have multiple people there on an hourly basis. Second, you got an idea of who to "keep an eye"? I would suggest mods, But isn't that already a thing?

"Why isn't it back"

Oh, I don't know, its not like Mike, Val, Steven, and any of the other staff are busy with work, classes, family, paying bills and shit.

Also, it costs money to get a chat room, a decent one at that. Mike is being very genourous by paying to have Virtualteen.org stay up alone, when already having to pay bills, which can be very stressfu'll.

Also, chat rooms aren't the only way to communicate with others. And with no disrespect it was honestly probably the most difficult way when you can make group chats via Skype or other various messagiby apps or e-mailing when you don't have to have a tab open continously when trying to communicate.

And I have to disagree, just because a few teens vote "yes" more than "no" on bringing a chat room back, on a forum site, doesn't mean it's coming back, unless you want to pay for it all, in that case get Mike's PayPal and I'll check for A chat room next week.

On a side note, VT was and still is a place to help teens dealing with issues, not to be a new omegle. Not saying you can't talk whatsoever, but it's not that big a deal, afterall you still can easily talk with anyone you want, plus it's not going to be free, unless it's complete shit, the mods are doing their best, why ask for more?
I didn't ask for more, I asked why, not more. I was once told that an issue with a new chatroom would be the fact that nobody would be able to check on it all the time, if there are chat logs that makes no sense to me.

Someone even offered to pay for on a thread that you made, which was ignored completely.

@Giygas As I said before, there are people who offered solutions on a forum above us and it went completely ignored, that is what's bothering me here.

-Marilyn Manson

-Proof Bob is a peasant

~Richelle was here~
Old May 23rd, 2016, 06:24 AM   #15
StoppingTom
Great Poster

Quote:
I didn't ask for more, I asked why, not more. I was once told that an issue with a new chatroom would be the fact that nobody would be able to check on it all the time, if there are chat logs that makes no sense to me.

Someone even offered to pay for on a thread that you made, which was ignored completely.

@Giygas As I said before, there are people who offered solutions on a forum above us and it went completely ignored, that is what's bothering me here.
Are you just ignoring what I post or..? I explained, in what I feel, was excruciating detail WHY people's suggestions aren't as simple as "ya let's just do this". Before, "what was bothering" you was that the admins didn't say anything about the chat, and when I told you that wasn't case, "what was bothering" you now is that people suggestions aren't being used, even though I explained, in what was probably my longest post ever on this forum, why it's not that easy.

Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:11 AM   #16
Periphery
Professional Spivak

Quote:
Are you just ignoring what I post or..? I explained, in what I feel, was excruciating detail WHY people's suggestions aren't as simple as "ya let's just do this". Before, "what was bothering" you was that the admins didn't say anything about the chat, and when I told you that wasn't case, "what was bothering" you now is that people suggestions aren't being used, even though I explained, in what was probably my longest post ever on this forum, why it's not that easy.
Well thanks to me you got to make that post.

Of course I know you can't trust strangers on shit like this, but that doesn't mean you can't look into it right?

-Marilyn Manson

-Proof Bob is a peasant

~Richelle was here~
Old May 24th, 2016, 09:58 PM   #17
xXl0sth0peXx
Administrator

xXl0sth0peXx's Forum Picture

Name: Val

I'm not entire sure how to reply to this, so I'm going to try and do my best to get this out in a productive way. I'm sure I'm going to miss some things, and I'm sorry in advance for doing so.

First off, we want a chatroom. I do, Mike does, senior staff does, mods do, everyone does. Not having a chatroom is nothing about what we don't want, and we're not just saying that we do. We genuinely do.

I'm going to go into a bit of backstory here. Last June, the chat that Mike and I paid for, addonchat expired. We decided at that time, for a number of reasons, including that mac doesn't really support Java anymore that we were going to search around for a new chat. And we expected this to take a few weeks to a month, which was about what it took. We shopped around, tried out a few things, and to get a chat to run with vbulletin the way we need it to, it's not easy. And finally decided to make a purchase of one. And with it, things went wrong, and we were unable to comfortably put it on VT. And that put us in the hole a lot of money, and a lot of time honestly.. time we wasted fighting with the chat site and fussing with it, trying to get it to work. We revisited things, and nothing was really going right for us at this point. Finally, after a handful of months, we decided to just purchase addonchat again, and hope for the best. What we didn't know was that addon was going to fuck us over big time. Despite the fact that it's the same chat, same feature, same account, and same site as before, it's just not working. We're having a lot of moderation issues with it, which until we get them fixed, we can't make the site live. Mike and I have been working so many hours to get this to work, to no avail. We've done more than I ever could have imagined possible, and there's still issues that have to be worked out. We're frustrated. We're losing money on this the more that we don't have it up. We want it up, possibly more than you guys do.

I did learn that on apple's website, there's a link to download a previous java version on a mac that /will/ work on a mac, and that will let you use addonchat/other java things. I have a macbook air, and I have done most (if not all) of my chat fussing on it, and it works really well. We would be providing that link along with the chat, when it would go up. We also purchased for extra money the mobile edition of chat, to give users an additional way to chat, and we continue to purchase that, so there are many options.

We checked out more chats than just addon.. but for what we need/want moderation wise, there just aren't many viable options. We need logs, because we can't be there 24/7. We need to be able to easily kick, and ban, and other things.. and it's not easy. We're really trying here.

Mike and I also both have lives. I just moved myself down 150 miles for the summer to start a new job, while finishing up school, and Mike's been working really hard to make this semester what it needs to be for himself, while keeping up with his job, and it's not easy. We both spend a miraculous amount of time doing things for VT, but sometimes, we just can't win. We're have to prioratize things, and chat can't always sit number one. I wish it could, and I wish it didn't have to, but it is what it is. We aren't giving up yet. We want to, because fuck, it's so frustrating, and there's no reason that it shouldn't be working.. but there is, and we have to find it. And that takes time.

Now, to go back and answer some questions from this thread:

Quote:
There were not problems moderating it. In fact, the reason that we had a chat was because we COULD moderate it.

Quote:
I'm hoping my stuff above answers this question for you, however, if it does not, I'll happily explain more to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion View Post
It wasn't closed because of lack of moderation, but because Java is no longer supported on chrome and a lot of people use chrome.
This is correct, sort of. It wasn't closed because of java either, although that's a part of why we didn't renew addon right away, and pursued other chats.

Quote:
I know the staff have been working their asses of, of course I do. But if it costs so much to find another alternative, mayb e put op a Teamspeak server? Then it's not too expensive, and it works.
We really are best with something integrated to VT, and one that is chat only. We need something that we can moderate, that we can control, and that we can pick every setting for. That's hard to come by. It's like the reasons we got rid of tapatalk - we can't moderate outside things as well as we can.. and for safety reasons, we have to have heavy moderation. It's interesting, we get shit for trying to mod too much, and we get shit that we aren't modding enough.. how can we win?

Quote:
I know the staff have been working hard to find a new chatroom, but how many times was it going to be back very soon? I know I might come of rude, of course I do. I hope they're not instantly paying for every alternative they see though, maybe do some indept research on them before wasting money on stuff that doesn't work.
How many times have you worked on a project, and think that you're almost done, and then a curveball comes? That's exactly what's going on here.. and I regret any time that I said that it'd be soon.. because genuinely, I thought it would be. I didn't expect one thing after another, with 2 or 3 different chats. I've (I can't speak for anyone else here) honestly been optimistic.. and it's just not worked out. I'm sorry for lying about when chat would be out, it wasn't intentional, and I guess I should have aired more on the side of error, that it wasn't going to come out.

We aren't just shoving money at new chats just to test them out, a lot of them have trials and/or demos and whatnot.. but we have shelled out money at more than one chat to try to get this going. The amounts are private, but I can honestly say that Mike and I both took a bit of a hit financially trying to get this to happen, but we were both more than willing to do so, because we wanted this, and you guys wanted this, and we wanted this for you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One
As I said before, there are people who offered solutions on a forum above us and it went completely ignored, that is what's bothering me here.
We did not ignore them, and I'm sorry that you think we did ignore them. As part of our research, we looked on our own, we took some of the advice, we looked around a lot. But just because something was an option in a thread doesn't mean that it's an option for us. I don't know how to assure you that we looked at them, but we did, and they just aren't right for VT, for one reason or another. Ultimately, what was right for VT 4 years ago might not be right for VT now. And that's no ones decision to make except for the admins. And it's a shitty decision to have to make, but we're making it.

I'm sorry that Mike and I can't live up to what you guys want. We're trying, but I guess it's not enough. We're not giving up. We're still working, and working a lot at that. And we will have something. But I don't know when. If I had a say in it, it would have been months ago. But as soon as we can get something up, we will. And hopefully, that's sooner rather than later. I'm sorry for letting you guys down.

Feel free to contact me: [email protected]|PM me
Feel free to visit: Ask Me|Diary|My Tumblr

"Perfect. Nice and bright outside. Wow, I'm so rococo x.X" - Bethany
~Steven
- Ali
xXl0sth0peXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 09:36 AM   #18
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Can I also add that I've seen in previous threads that VT has previously NOT accepted donations for the sole reason that most of you are minors (including you, OP). There is some grey area where accepting money from minors is concerned. It's completely separate from accepting money from more-or-less financially independent adults. There's a lot of potential problems with minors offering to donate then having parents not knowing where their child's money is going (since a great many of you keep VT a secret for purposes of anonymity). So offering to pay is not as simple as it may seem. That said, please keep in mind that Val and Mike and whomever else are paying for this site out of pocket. And I've known Val and Mike awhile, we're all more or less the same age, and I can barely pay for my living expenses let alone keep a site running for all of you guys. They are brilliant people leading amazing lives both on and off of VT. You guys are very generous in offering, I don't think anyone is denying that, but when you're dealing with a site predominately made up of minors, it's the responsibility of the adults to keep this in mind to avoid possible issues down the road. @xXl0sth0peXx or @ImCoolBeans can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure I've seen this question been raised already.

I know you all want additional features and it's not entirely about the money, but keep in mind that it is a big factor. I know it's been a long time but eventually people are going to have to accept the site as it is and how much the admins and mods are doing for you already. You guys can vote yes or no all you like but Val's doing her very best to explain to you guys what's going on.

This site is here to support teens who are in need of it. I agree, the chatroom was nice and I enjoyed it as someone who stopped frequenting the site for more personal needs. But it's not necessary and I think repeatedly asking "When are we getting the chat back??" just causes undue stress about it.

You have the forums, VMs, PMs, etc. I'm sure you're making use of those just fine right now. And I think asking "Come on guys, what's the problem here?" is pretty rude. This site isn't a democracy, despite what you may believe, it's a privilege to have access to with all the hard work put into maintaining it. Treat it as such rather than assuming you have a right to it. There are real people behind this place, they deserve respect, not being told they're letting you down. VT is also a place of learning so let me put this out there: patience is a virtue.

Last edited by Deleted User; May 25th, 2016 at 09:40 AM.
Deleted User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #19
Body odah Man
VT Lover

Body odah Man's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXl0sth0peXx View Post
I'm not entire sure how to reply to this, so I'm going to try and do my best to get this out in a productive way. I'm sure I'm going to miss some things, and I'm sorry in advance for doing so.

First off, we want a chatroom. I do, Mike does, senior staff does, mods do, everyone does. Not having a chatroom is nothing about what we don't want, and we're not just saying that we do. We genuinely do.

I'm going to go into a bit of backstory here. Last June, the chat that Mike and I paid for, addonchat expired. We decided at that time, for a number of reasons, including that mac doesn't really support Java anymore that we were going to search around for a new chat. And we expected this to take a few weeks to a month, which was about what it took. We shopped around, tried out a few things, and to get a chat to run with vbulletin the way we need it to, it's not easy. And finally decided to make a purchase of one. And with it, things went wrong, and we were unable to comfortably put it on VT. And that put us in the hole a lot of money, and a lot of time honestly.. time we wasted fighting with the chat site and fussing with it, trying to get it to work. We revisited things, and nothing was really going right for us at this point. Finally, after a handful of months, we decided to just purchase addonchat again, and hope for the best. What we didn't know was that addon was going to fuck us over big time. Despite the fact that it's the same chat, same feature, same account, and same site as before, it's just not working. We're having a lot of moderation issues with it, which until we get them fixed, we can't make the site live. Mike and I have been working so many hours to get this to work, to no avail. We've done more than I ever could have imagined possible, and there's still issues that have to be worked out. We're frustrated. We're losing money on this the more that we don't have it up. We want it up, possibly more than you guys do.

I did learn that on apple's website, there's a link to download a previous java version on a mac that /will/ work on a mac, and that will let you use addonchat/other java things. I have a macbook air, and I have done most (if not all) of my chat fussing on it, and it works really well. We would be providing that link along with the chat, when it would go up. We also purchased for extra money the mobile edition of chat, to give users an additional way to chat, and we continue to purchase that, so there are many options.

We checked out more chats than just addon.. but for what we need/want moderation wise, there just aren't many viable options. We need logs, because we can't be there 24/7. We need to be able to easily kick, and ban, and other things.. and it's not easy. We're really trying here.

Mike and I also both have lives. I just moved myself down 150 miles for the summer to start a new job, while finishing up school, and Mike's been working really hard to make this semester what it needs to be for himself, while keeping up with his job, and it's not easy. We both spend a miraculous amount of time doing things for VT, but sometimes, we just can't win. We're have to prioratize things, and chat can't always sit number one. I wish it could, and I wish it didn't have to, but it is what it is. We aren't giving up yet. We want to, because fuck, it's so frustrating, and there's no reason that it shouldn't be working.. but there is, and we have to find it. And that takes time.

Now, to go back and answer some questions from this thread:

There were not problems moderating it. In fact, the reason that we had a chat was because we COULD moderate it.

I'm hoping my stuff above answers this question for you, however, if it does not, I'll happily explain more to you.

This is correct, sort of. It wasn't closed because of java either, although that's a part of why we didn't renew addon right away, and pursued other chats.

We really are best with something integrated to VT, and one that is chat only. We need something that we can moderate, that we can control, and that we can pick every setting for. That's hard to come by. It's like the reasons we got rid of tapatalk - we can't moderate outside things as well as we can.. and for safety reasons, we have to have heavy moderation. It's interesting, we get shit for trying to mod too much, and we get shit that we aren't modding enough.. how can we win?

How many times have you worked on a project, and think that you're almost done, and then a curveball comes? That's exactly what's going on here.. and I regret any time that I said that it'd be soon.. because genuinely, I thought it would be. I didn't expect one thing after another, with 2 or 3 different chats. I've (I can't speak for anyone else here) honestly been optimistic.. and it's just not worked out. I'm sorry for lying about when chat would be out, it wasn't intentional, and I guess I should have aired more on the side of error, that it wasn't going to come out.

We aren't just shoving money at new chats just to test them out, a lot of them have trials and/or demos and whatnot.. but we have shelled out money at more than one chat to try to get this going. The amounts are private, but I can honestly say that Mike and I both took a bit of a hit financially trying to get this to happen, but we were both more than willing to do so, because we wanted this, and you guys wanted this, and we wanted this for you guys.

We did not ignore them, and I'm sorry that you think we did ignore them. As part of our research, we looked on our own, we took some of the advice, we looked around a lot. But just because something was an option in a thread doesn't mean that it's an option for us. I don't know how to assure you that we looked at them, but we did, and they just aren't right for VT, for one reason or another. Ultimately, what was right for VT 4 years ago might not be right for VT now. And that's no ones decision to make except for the admins. And it's a shitty decision to have to make, but we're making it.

I'm sorry that Mike and I can't live up to what you guys want. We're trying, but I guess it's not enough. We're not giving up. We're still working, and working a lot at that. And we will have something. But I don't know when. If I had a say in it, it would have been months ago. But as soon as we can get something up, we will. And hopefully, that's sooner rather than later. I'm sorry for letting you guys down.
Wow I had no idea. That really sucks and I'm sorry things aren't working out, financially. I hope it improves and thank you for trying.

Just a chilling teen that hates baths, collects Yugioh cards and loves Runescape
Body odah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 02:46 PM   #20
Periphery
Professional Spivak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body odah Man View Post
Wow I had no idea. That really sucks and I'm sorry things aren't working out, financially. I hope it improves and thank you for trying.
Let's see if this get's removed aswell for no reason.

Also, @xXl0sth0peXx @Giygas @Typhlosion @Elysium I have one final question for you all, just one.

Why are extremely explicit puberty threads just thrown in the archives and locked but not removed, why do some people who are massive assholes on all their posts don't have their posts removed if they offend people? Why do some obvious troll acounts last so long?

Now think about this, and now tell me why @Body odah Man had 2 posts in both chatroom threads where he just said "Yeah I would love the chatroom back" removed without warning? Without reason? He wasn't off topic, he said nothing wrong and just said he would like the chatroom back. Like, I just don't see what he did wrong.

-Marilyn Manson

-Proof Bob is a peasant

~Richelle was here~

Last edited by Periphery; May 28th, 2016 at 05:24 AM.