Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Old April 23rd, 2016, 12:15 PM   #1
Salad_Baby
Member+

Salad_Baby's Forum Picture

Default Competitions?

I'm not a 'veteran' on this site or anything, so I'm sure if this has been the case in the past, but why don't we have more competitions on VT? We could have a 100 word story writing contest, or a design competition, for example. Prizes could be tags (I'm not sure what they're called) underneath the winner's name on the forums to show that they were the winner in x month or year for a competition, and it could be judged either by moderators/admins or voted on by all members.

Just a thought. Might boost membership and attraction to the site.

A Salad made out of babies, or a baby made out of salad? Whichever floats your boat.

17/M/PM me - open to talk about anything
Salad_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 12:22 PM   #2
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Endeavour's Forum Picture

Default Re: Competitions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad_Baby View Post
I'm not a 'veteran' on this site or anything, so I'm sure if this has been the case in the past, but why don't we have more competitions on VT? We could have a 100 word story writing contest, or a design competition, for example. Prizes could be tags (I'm not sure what they're called) underneath the winner's name on the forums to show that they were the winner in x month or year for a competition, and it could be judged either by moderators/admins or voted on by all members.

Just a thought. Might boost membership and attraction to the site.
Well we do have the VT Awards at the end of every year where members vote for people in certain categories (ie. most likely to be come president, best username etc.) but they don't really mean much. The results from last year (2015) are here (link).

Also see here (link) for past discussion on this from Mike @ImCoolBeans

Global Moderator
live a life you will remember

Feel free to contact me: PMendeavour@virtualteen.org
Visit: Path to the HorizonAsk Me Anything

Last edited by Endeavour; April 23rd, 2016 at 12:26 PM.
Endeavour is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 12:32 PM   #3
Salad_Baby
Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventitious View Post
Well we do have the VT Awards at the end of every year where members vote for people in certain categories (ie. most likely to be come president, best username etc.) but they don't really mean much. The results from last year (2015) are here (link).

Also see here (link) for past discussion on this from Mike @ImCoolBeans
I'm aware of the VT Awards, but they're different from what I was suggesting. I don't fully understand how being the winner of short story contest constitutes as a 'popularity boost', as ImCoolBeans suggests, but please do give me insight as to why - I'm open for discussion

A Salad made out of babies, or a baby made out of salad? Whichever floats your boat.

Old April 23rd, 2016, 01:58 PM   #4
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

It's a nice idea, but I just don't think it aligns with the site's purpose. When we make any changes to VT, we try to consider the best ways to allow teens to really help, educate, and advise one another. I don't think contests like that would be harmful in any fashion, but it seems like an activity for a different kind of site, you know?

However, I don't see any reason why members can't host their own little contests or games in their diaries just for the fun of it.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
elysium@virtualteen.org
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 02:02 PM   #5
Salad_Baby
Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
It's a nice idea, but I just don't think it aligns with the site's purpose. When we make any changes to VT, we try to consider the best ways to allow teens to really help, educate, and advise one another. I don't think contests like that would be harmful in any fashion, but it seems like an activity for a different kind of site, you know?

However, I don't see any reason why members can't host their own little contests or games in their diaries just for the fun of it.
Fair point. I just thought that site-hosted competitions would gain more attention compared with community-hosted ones, and that competitions would 'add' to the community - let everyone see how talented we all are

Old April 23rd, 2016, 08:27 PM   #6
Let Me Be a Pony
Banned

Name: Pebbles

I remember seeing a photography competition inside the "Art Room".
Click me for retro lolz.

Quote:
It's a nice idea, but I just don't think it aligns with the site's purpose. When we make any changes to VT, we try to consider the best ways to allow teens to really help, educate, and advise one another.
It depends on how you view it. Competitions are a good way to learn new things from others, to better yourself in a way. Many things can be improved with the help of other competitors.
Let Me Be a Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 09:35 PM   #7
Level

Level's Forum Picture

Name: Michael

I would like the idea of completing it would help us compete in video games. It would help you grow closer with people. Nice idea
Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #8
Abhorrence
Death

Abhorrence's Forum Picture

I think some of the issue would be picking winners and other users feeling disheartened. Yes, show-casing talent is a wonderful thing but considering this site contains a lot of mentally ill people it could actually be quite harmful if someone's contribution is not chosen. It may sound silly but sometimes losing something can be a real downer and considering we are a help site, I don't think we should really include the possibility of causing issues.

Nothing will be waiting for you at the end of this life.

Ask // Private Message
~Mike was here~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium
Spooky scary labia
Abhorrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2016, 05:08 PM   #9
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri

Quote:

While I completely agree with the sentiment about hosting a small contest in diaries etc. I do have to disagree with the idea that something like this would be out of character for VT. I think VT while obviously a help site does forget that there is a significant and substantial proportion of the audience who aren't necessarily here because they've got issues, they might just like the idea of a teen environment or came to VT to ask a specific question and then have moved onto more 'general purposes' as opposed to something like mental health issues.

So I think should cater to both and something like this kind of competition would be something else for those who are here who don't have any negative issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhorrence View Post
I think some of the issue would be picking winners and other users feeling disheartened. Yes, show-casing talent is a wonderful thing but considering this site contains a lot of mentally ill people it could actually be quite harmful if someone's contribution is not chosen. It may sound silly but sometimes losing something can be a real downer and considering we are a help site, I don't think we should really include the possibility of causing issues.
Disappointment is something we've got to deal with on an almost daily basis. I understand VT tries to avoid people feeling let down but I think those who would be say mentally ill would probably not enter a competition because they know that they might lose and feel bad about that.

Technically speaking if we wanted to avoid anyone being let down or feel bad then we shouldn't have the VT Awards because hey....if you come 3rd place or don't even get a mention then you might feel let down.

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.

Last edited by DerBear; April 30th, 2016 at 10:25 AM.
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2016, 02:13 AM   #10
Melodic
VT's Rising Vocalist

Melodic's Forum Picture

Name: Madie

I actually don't think this is a bad idea.

Here's an idea. How about instead of doing something so specific like a creative writing competition, there could be an annual VT talent competition? There would be a variety of different talents in it that I doubt it would really upset anyone. You could even make it fun and create a different theme each competition.

"May the space of where I am, and where I want to be inspire me"
Melodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 11:51 AM   #11
Salad_Baby
Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
While I completely agree with the sentiment about hosting a small contest in diaries etc. I do have to disagree with the idea that something like this would be out of character for VT. I think VT while obviously a help site does forget that there is a significant and substantial proportion of the audience who aren't necessarily here because they've got issues, they might just like the idea of a teen environment or came to VT to ask a specific question and then have moved onto more 'general purposes' as opposed to something like mental health issues.

So I think should cater to both and something like this kind of competition would be something else for those who are here who don't have any negative issues.

Disappointment is something we've got to deal with on an almost daily basis. I understand VT tries to avoid people feeling let down but I think those who would be say mentally ill would probably not enter a competition because they know that they might lose and feel bad about that.

Technically speaking if we wanted to avoid anyone being let down or feel bad then we shouldn't have the VT Awards because hey....if you come 3rd place or don't even get a mention then you might feel let down.
Agreed. If the same principle of not wanting to disappoint or upset people exists on this site, then surely the annual VT awards would conflict with this aim?