Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [2]

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #1
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator
 
ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture
 
Name: Mike
Join Date: April 26, 2010
Location: US
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Default Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Tics

Does your anxiety cause you to have nervous ticks? Whenever I'm feeling extraordinarily anxious I can't help but do them. It's embarrassing and doesn't even really help my anxiety. I can tell that people notice it too sometimes, which makes my anxiety worse and makes me feel like everybody is judging me. I don't really know how to stop them because it's kind of like an impulse -- I just can't help it. Whenever I get really nervous I'll either bite my nails, no matter how bitten and short they already are, I'll play with my hands, crack my knuckles, or lightly tap on things, or if I'm sitting I'll shake my legs, other things like that too. I feel anxious now just saying it. Is there anything that you do that helps you with this? I've been putting in a conscious effort to stop for years, but I haven't succeeded.

It's rare that somebody ever says anything about it, but if somebody does it can sometimes trigger an attack, which is horrible to have in public. Even if nobody says anything, I still feel like they're noticing and I'm tired of worrying so much if they can tell that I'm feeling so anxious or noticing the ticks.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.


Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline  
Old February 13th, 2014, 02:00 PM   #2
Miserabilia
Our Bipolar Friends
 
Miserabilia's Forum Picture
 
Name: dan/johnny foreigner/cheesee
Join Date: June 1, 2013
Location: my house basicly
Age: 18
Gender: Cisgender Male
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

ooh I have so many of them.
Whenever I get social anxiety I get alot of tics/weird things.

The least worst is the simple stuff like general nervous movements,
but I also bite my tongue and cheak and in a really serious way, I don't realize I'm doing it, and then I'm bleeding.

shout at the world because the world doesn't love you

lower yourself because you know that you have to.
Miserabilia is offline  
Old February 13th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #3
Hollywood
Still Here
 
Hollywood's Forum Picture
 
Name: Tyler
Join Date: January 18, 2009
Location: South Carolina, USA
Age: 22
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 22
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

I just wind up playing with my hands, and my legs sort of start jittering too. I usually notice it but it's very hard to stop.

val
I am Elysium, Lord and Master's special snowflake bitch
Hollywood is offline  
Old February 13th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Its Pretty
Member+
 
Its Pretty's Forum Picture
 
Name: Nathan
Join Date: July 17, 2013
Location: The small island on the left of canada
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

Whenever I get anxious I get completely still, like absolutely motionless, and stare at people. I guess you could say its an anti-tic

Its pretty
Its Pretty is offline  
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #5
ksdnfkfr
Banned
 
Join Date: August 28, 2013
Gender: Undisclosed
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

Like a lot of autistic people i do what is called stimming, especially when having anxiety. Rocking back and forth is number one. Wringing or flapping my hands. Drumming on myself with my fists; legs, torso and head.
ksdnfkfr is offline  
Old February 14th, 2014, 06:03 AM   #6
DeadEyes
Banned
 
Join Date: February 7, 2014
Location: Canada
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir View Post
Like a lot of autistic people i do what is called stimming, especially when having anxiety. Rocking back and forth is number one. Wringing or flapping my hands. Drumming on myself with my fists; legs, torso and head.
Ouch? Drumming on your head, that almost qualify for the self harm section of the forums, but it's like I was saying in another post, if there's no will to hurt yourself then it is nervous ticks.

I think we all have some to a certain point, some more apparent than others, some people will just chew a pen and others will bash their head in the walls.

When it becomes too obvious then there's no doubt it will draw attention but concerning that, people always judge no matter, whether it's the way you dress, the way you walk or whatnot. So, being tired of worrying so much is just about right because it become tiresome.

When you get tired of something or even fed up then what do you do? You just stop. You might say it's easier said than done but you should just stop caring. Trust me, when I stopped worrying about what people might think of me,
I became a lot less anxious.
DeadEyes is offline  
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #7
ksdnfkfr
Banned
 
Join Date: August 28, 2013
Gender: Undisclosed
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyes View Post
Ouch? Drumming on your head, that almost qualify for the self harm section of the forums, but it's like I was saying in another post, if there's no will to hurt yourself then it is nervous ticks.
One of the Wrong Planet posters has it so bad she has to wear a bicycle helmet for protection.
But she is more severely autistic then me.

I actually do it gently for self calming during bad anxiety.
But it would still look 'crazy' to anyone watching.
ksdnfkfr is offline  
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:15 AM   #8
Tarannosaurus
Awesome Poster
 
Tarannosaurus's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 10, 2013
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

I have this thing where everything has to be 'balanced'. If I open a door with my right hand, I have to go back and touch the handle with my left hand, if I hold something in my left hand I have to transfer it to my right hand for a while. If I don't to this at some point durig the day I panic and can't function unless I make up for it.


H&A mod
If you have a question don't hesitate to PM me or email me at [email protected]
Tarannosaurus is offline  
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:24 AM   #9
DeadEyes
Banned
 
Join Date: February 7, 2014
Location: Canada
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir View Post
One of the Wrong Planet posters has it so bad she has to wear a bicycle helmet for protection.
But she is more severely autistic then me.

I actually do it gently for self calming during bad anxiety.
But it would still look 'crazy' to anyone watching.
I've heard about that before, it comes to the point where you need to protect people against themsleve because like any good nervous ticks, it's involuntary.

I mentioned that people always judge but the worst is that they often misjudge, so most people seeing you do this would think you are probably crazy, while I would doubt you probably have a certain condition even if I didn't know what autism is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarannosaurus View Post
I have this thing where everything has to be 'balanced'. If I open a door with my right hand, I have to go back and touch the handle with my left hand, if I hold something in my left hand I have to transfer it to my right hand for a while. If I don't to this at some point durig the day I panic and can't function unless I make up for it.
Ah right, the good old obsessive compulsive issues, I had many of those before, this "balance" compulsion I don't think I've heard of before.
DeadEyes is offline  
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:38 AM   #10
Miserabilia
Our Bipolar Friends
 
Miserabilia's Forum Picture
 
Name: dan/johnny foreigner/cheesee
Join Date: June 1, 2013
Location: my house basicly
Age: 18
Gender: Cisgender Male
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarannosaurus View Post
I have this thing where everything has to be 'balanced'. If I open a door with my right hand, I have to go back and touch the handle with my left hand, if I hold something in my left hand I have to transfer it to my right hand for a while. If I don't to this at some point durig the day I panic and can't function unless I make up for it.
This is exactly what I do!
I honestly thought I was alone in this

shout at the world because the world doesn't love you

lower yourself because you know that you have to.
Miserabilia is offline  
Old February 14th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #11
DeadEyes
Banned
 
Join Date: February 7, 2014
Location: Canada
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfawolfxl View Post
I bite my lips, tap things, click pens, twirl pencils, touch my face, cover my face with my hand. I also tap my feet and twist my ankle and stuff. I can't stay still. I had to a presentation today and afterwards my teacher commented on how I always touched my face or had it covered with my hand. He somewhat mocked me and I felt bad about it. I started catching myself do it and it only made it worse. He has no idea what he did.
When you think that not only other students can be mocking and bullying it's bad enough but that teachers does it as well, it's despairing.
DeadEyes is offline  
Old February 18th, 2014, 01:52 PM   #12
xXl0sth0peXx
Administrator
 
xXl0sth0peXx's Forum Picture
 
Name: Val
Join Date: July 17, 2011
Location: in the middle of hell..
Gender: Cisgender Female
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarannosaurus View Post
I have this thing where everything has to be 'balanced'. If I open a door with my right hand, I have to go back and touch the handle with my left hand, if I hold something in my left hand I have to transfer it to my right hand for a while. If I don't to this at some point durig the day I panic and can't function unless I make up for it.
I don't consider this a tick persay, but this so much me.



Lip biting is my absolute worst tick though. And I know that people notice too, which like said makes it worse. Nail biting and just playing with anything - fingers, gum, coins, anything are other ones that I notice. It freaks me out to know that people notice, which makes me do it more.

Feel free to contact me: [email protected]|PM me
Feel free to visit: Ask Me|Diary|My Tumblr

"Perfect. Nice and bright outside. Wow, I'm so rococo x.X" - Bethany
~Steven
- Ali
xXl0sth0peXx is offline  
Old February 18th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #13
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator
 
ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture
 
Name: Mike
Join Date: April 26, 2010
Location: US
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXl0sth0peXx View Post
I don't consider this a tick persay, but this so much me.



Lip biting is my absolute worst tick though. And I know that people notice too, which like said makes it worse. Nail biting and just playing with anything - fingers, gum, coins, anything are other ones that I notice. It freaks me out to know that people notice, which makes me do it more.
I always play with things too. Like pens, coins, rubber bands, other things at work/school/wherever. Pulling leaves off of things as i walk by. People always notice it and that drives me crazy, but it's like an impulse to do it.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.


Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline  
Old February 19th, 2014, 12:38 AM   #14
Deschain
Peach Plum Pear
 
Deschain's Forum Picture
 
Name: Sweet Pea
Join Date: February 6, 2009
Location: Behind the Crimson Door, chillin' with Marcie.
Gender: Male
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

For me, I get super antsy. My heart starts racing, and I bob my legs. And I if it gets bad enough I cry. That hasn't happened too often though. But it happened at IHOP though one morning with my friend. All the silverware clanking, and people talking, and the smells of all the different foods. Everything just became so intense. I was watching people eat, and feeling repulsed. I had to get out of there.

Also I feel things on me. Like bugs. Flying bugs around my ears, so I end up ducking and grabbing the back of my neck and picking at my scalp.

~Lawrence~


~Laura was here~
For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home.
Deschain is offline  
Old February 20th, 2014, 10:14 AM   #15
Tarannosaurus
Awesome Poster
 
Tarannosaurus's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 10, 2013
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel View Post
For me, I get super antsy. My heart starts racing, and I bob my legs. And I if it gets bad enough I cry. That hasn't happened too often though. But it happened at IHOP though one morning with my friend. All the silverware clanking, and people talking, and the smells of all the different foods. Everything just became so intense. I was watching people eat, and feeling repulsed. I had to get out of there.

Also I feel things on me. Like bugs. Flying bugs around my ears, so I end up ducking and grabbing the back of my neck and picking at my scalp.
I get something like that too, I hate loud public spaces, it's like a sensory overload. I get a bug thing as well, I feel like there's a fly flying around inside my ear or a spider crawling all over me.


H&A mod
If you have a question don't hesitate to PM me or email me at [email protected]
Tarannosaurus is offline  
Old February 20th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #16
Miserabilia
Our Bipolar Friends
 
Miserabilia's Forum Picture
 
Name: dan/johnny foreigner/cheesee
Join Date: June 1, 2013
Location: my house basicly
Age: 18
Gender: Cisgender Male
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel View Post
For me, I get super antsy. My heart starts racing, and I bob my legs. And I if it gets bad enough I cry. That hasn't happened too often though. But it happened at IHOP though one morning with my friend. All the silverware clanking, and people talking, and the smells of all the different foods. Everything just became so intense. I was watching people eat, and feeling repulsed. I had to get out of there.

Also I feel things on me. Like bugs. Flying bugs around my ears, so I end up ducking and grabbing the back of my neck and picking at my scalp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarannosaurus View Post
I get something like that too, I hate loud public spaces, it's like a sensory overload. I get a bug thing as well, I feel like there's a fly flying around inside my ear or a spider crawling all over me.
I know what you mean.
And then all of that builds up, and it's just terror.

shout at the world because the world doesn't love you

lower yourself because you know that you have to.
Miserabilia is offline  
Old February 20th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #17
backjruton
Awesome Poster
 
backjruton's Forum Picture
 
Name: JACK
Join Date: February 13, 2014
Location: Swinging from the chandelier (Hereford: UK)
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

This applies to me too. I have to count my money every day at the start of college because I find it extremely hard to count it off the spot when I'm buying something at the shop, I need to tell myself how much I'm going to spend and put that money somewhere else or I will struggle when I'm actually buying things, and when I'm done counting I have to seperate it and just keep playing with the coins for a few minutes after before I can put them away

And whenever I'm sat down bored I have to find something to play with so I keep taking the lids off pens and putting them back on, bashing things at the table, kicking the chairs opposite me and lifting them up... I find it really hard to keep still and I have to keep moving which also makes it really hard for me to listen in class

I don't think this is down to anxiety it's just something I'm used to doing so I have to keep doing it and it's hard for me to stop
backjruton is offline  
Old February 20th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #18
azure moonstone
glowing
 
azure moonstone's Forum Picture
 
Name: Allison
Join Date: November 8, 2012
Location: The Crystal Castle
Gender: Cisgender Female
Blog Entries: 21
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolBeans View Post
I always play with things too. Like pens, coins, rubber bands, other things at work/school/wherever. Pulling leaves off of things as i walk by. People always notice it and that drives me crazy, but it's like an impulse to do it.
I can identify with this. Often times I am not even thinking about it but I find myself being so fidgety that I am holding/playing with a pen, a hair pin, a coin, or any number of small object. I'm sure it's really distracting to other people (when I am around them). I am also touching walls (or lockers) constantly while walking at school or in the house. It's almost like I have to keep my hands busy or my mind won't know what to do.
azure moonstone is offline  
Old February 20th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #19
CcRoder
Member
 
CcRoder's Forum Picture
 
Name: Tom
Join Date: August 1, 2012
Location: Where Great Britain and Ireland meet.
Gender: Male
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

This used to happen to me a lot during school. What I'd do was put my two hands up, like behind my head sort of? Like a reflex action. When I would realise what I did, I'd pretend to scratch my head or back or neck or whatever.

I've grown out of it sort of, and now I tap my feet, pens, pencils, or bight my nails. Sometimes I really just leave the situation I'm in, go into the bathroom, and figure something out.

I love everyone. PM me.
CcRoder is offline  
Old February 20th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #20
Karkat
Knight of Blood
 
Karkat's Forum Picture
 
Name: Ren Hek
Join Date: February 20, 2014
Location: Land of Pulse and Haze
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: Ritualistic Behavior/Nervous Ticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolBeans View Post
Does your anxiety cause you to have nervous ticks? Whenever I'm feeling extraordinarily anxious I can't help but do them. It's embarrassing and doesn't even really help my anxiety. I can tell that people notice it too sometimes, which makes my anxiety worse and makes me feel like everybody is judging me. I don't really know how to stop them because it's kind of like an impulse -- I just can't help it. Whenever I get really nervous I'll either bite my nails, no matter how bitten and short they already are, I'll play with my hands, crack my knuckles, or lightly tap on things, or if I'm sitting I'll shake my legs, other things like that too. I feel anxious now just saying it. Is there anything that you do that helps you with this? I've been putting in a conscious effort to stop for years, but I haven't succeeded.

It's rare that somebody ever says anything about it, but if somebody does it can sometimes trigger an attack, which is horrible to have in public. Even if nobody says anything, I still feel like they're noticing and I'm tired of worrying so much if they can tell that I'm feeling so anxious or noticing the ticks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesee View Post
ooh I have so many of them.
Whenever I get social anxiety I get alot of tics/weird things.

The least worst is the simple stuff like general nervous movements,
but I also bite my tongue and cheak and in a really serious way, I don't realize I'm doing it, and then I'm bleeding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir View Post
Like a lot of autistic people i do what is called stimming, especially when having anxiety. Rocking back and forth is number one. Wringing or flapping my hands. Drumming on myself with my fists; legs, torso and head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarannosaurus View Post
I have this thing where everything has to be 'balanced'. If I open a door with my right hand, I have to go back and touch the handle with my left hand, if I hold something in my left hand I have to transfer it to my right hand for a while. If I don't to this at some point durig the day I panic and can't function unless I make up for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfawolfxl View Post
I bite my lips, tap things, click pens, twirl pencils, touch my face, cover my face with my hand. I also tap my feet and twist my ankle and stuff. I can't stay still. I had to a presentation today and afterwards my teacher commented on how I always touched my face or had it covered with my hand. He somewhat mocked me and I felt bad about it. I started catching myself do it and it only made it worse. He has no idea what he did.
All of this. The worst being stomping/toe-tapping, bobbing, finger tapping/picking, touching my face, biting the inside of my mouth, and stimming.

But I also stim when I'm excited. If I get some huge idea about something, all of a sudden I'll look down, and the hands'll be flapping around. I can't control it, I can't really demonstrate it, it just happens.

I'll also wring my hands or rub my arms aggressively when I'm angry, as well as bite the inside of my mouth.

(Edit: Woah, this is my 100th post!)


Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2017
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2017, VirtualTeen.org