Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old March 28th, 2016, 11:44 AM   #1
Irishperson15
Nice Poster

Default Bad Language

Hi, I was just wondering why bad language is permitted freely on the forums if it isn't directed against any individuals. The rules state: "Language: Swearing and cursing may help some people “vent” or express their emotion, and what they are going through. Therefore, we do permit the use of these words when appropriate. However, it is not tolerated to direct this kind of language to any member at any time."

Considering most things on the site are so secure and restrictive (which I understand they have to be), why is bad language permitted? What if someone doesn't like reading something filled with curses? (Even if they aren't directed at anyone)

If i agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

Sweet dreams are made of cheese, who am I to dis a brie?

Message if you want a chat
Irishperson15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 11:50 AM   #2
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Endeavour's Forum Picture

Default Re: Bad Language

I don't like seeing bad language on here, but I think it should up to them (the poster) to decide what they post.

Global Moderator
live a life you will remember

Feel free to contact me: PM[email protected]
Visit: Path to the HorizonAsk Me Anything
Endeavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 11:54 AM   #3
Irishperson15
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventitious View Post
I don't like seeing bad language on here, but I think it should up to them (the poster) to decide what they post.
I do agree with freedom of speech also, George, but should there be a limit on excessive uses of bad language or something? It just puzzles me that a site which is so strict in other ways allows people to swear.

Old March 28th, 2016, 12:00 PM   #4
Mars
Global Moderator

Mars's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishperson15 View Post
I do agree with freedom of speech also, George, but should there be a limit on excessive uses of bad language or something? It just puzzles me that a site which is so strict in other ways allows people to swear.
Strict with things such as what?

We allow users to curse and swear because like the rules say, it may help them vent frusturations. We don't want to silence users with a simple thing such as bad language.

"The head may err, but never the blood.”
Nice salt pouch, asshole
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoppingTom View Post
so if he pulls these shenanigans again, I'm whipping out the long dick of the law on him

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 12:04 PM   #5
Irishperson15
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The F.M Mars View Post
Strict with things such as what?

We allow users to curse and swear because like the rules say, it may help them vent frusturations. We don't want to silence users with a simple thing such as bad language.
Well perhaps 'strict' may be the wrong word, but just that there are a lot of rules about things, which there has to be. It just seems strange though that there isn't one against foul language. Should there not be a limit of one or two swear words per post or something? I've been on other forums before which haven't had as many rules as this but swear words were either edited out of your post or showed as ***** or whatever.

Old March 28th, 2016, 12:11 PM   #6
Mars
Global Moderator

Mars's Forum Picture

Quote:
Well perhaps 'strict' may be the wrong word, but just that there are a lot of rules about things, which there has to be. It just seems strange though that there isn't one against foul language. Should there not be a limit of one or two swear words per post or something? I've been on other forums before which haven't had as many rules as this but swear words were either edited out of your post or showed as ***** or whatever.
Again, we're all teens and young adults here. We don't want to silence users because of simple things like cursing. We have a lot of rules because many things require regulation.

"The head may err, but never the blood.”
Nice salt pouch, asshole
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoppingTom View Post
so if he pulls these shenanigans again, I'm whipping out the long dick of the law on him

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 12:15 PM   #7
Irishperson15
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The F.M Mars View Post
Again, we're all teens and young adults here. We don't want to silence users because of simple things like cursing. We have a lot of rules because many things require regulation.
Thanks, but I've acknowledged that rules are necessary. I just was curious as it seemed there should be something in place.

Old March 28th, 2016, 02:04 PM   #8
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

This isn't really a formal, professional environment. I don't see any reason to have a rule against foul language. If it bothers you, I'm pretty sure there are browser extensions that'll filter stuff for you.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 02:24 PM   #9
Irishperson15
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
This isn't really a formal, professional environment. I don't see any reason to have a rule against foul language. If it bothers you, I'm pretty sure there are browser extensions that'll filter stuff for you.
It only bothers me if someone uses it excessively, which doesn't add much meaning to a post. Using it once or twice is different.

Old March 28th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #10
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Quote:
It only bothers me if someone uses it excessively, which doesn't add much meaning to a post. Using it once or twice is different.
And how many times do you see this 'excessiveness'? Can you give us a link to a post? I've never seen anyone use multiple swear words, maybe maximum two in a post?

Global Moderator

Old March 28th, 2016, 04:04 PM   #11
Irishperson15
Nice Poster

Well excessive as in more than is necessary to convey the selected point. I have none in mind I'm just stating how I would feel.

Old March 28th, 2016, 05:20 PM   #12
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well excessive as in more than is necessary to convey the selected point. I have none in mind I'm just stating how I would feel.
Exactly. If you can't find a post that proves your point there's no need to complain and it proves that no one on here is overusing bad language.

Global Moderator

Old March 28th, 2016, 05:40 PM   #13
Vlerchan
Globalist Shill

Vlerchan's Forum Picture

Quote:
[....] there's no need to complain and it proves that no one on here is overusing bad language.
That no-one can be seen to be overusing bad language - at the moment - is no reason to close down discussion. It means the issue isn't pressing - but doesn't negate it's statues as an issue.

---

I also don't think we should ban 'excessive' bad language on the simple basis that it runs into all sorts of problems when we attempt to define it within a rule. Banning language that is 'more than required' to make a point isn't workable because the true extent and intentions of the point are unknown to all but the writer. To me it seems quite a stable presumption that the writer wouldn't go to the effort of dropping an extra 'fuck' or 'shit' or 'cunt' or 'twat' - was that excessive? - unless she felt that the effort was worthwhile and required to express the point - or the emotion behind it.

Perhaps she's wrong. But it's dificult to see the reader being in a better position to judge. Including that rule - I can imagine - would eliminate a certain amount of it: but the ambiguities would open up the moderation to a significant number of complaints.

What's more that we have introduced an allowance as far as bad language is concerned negates all attempts to argue that there's some badness it in. Th essence of the rule becomes an issue with the prose rather than the language. Lots of people write in awful prose - is there a reason we're just banning this subset though.

".... the result of a consistent and total substitution of lies for factual truth is not that the lie will now be accepted as truth, and truth be defamed as lie, but that the sense by which we take our bearings in the real world - and the category of truth versus falsehood is among the mental means to this end - is being destroyed ... [H.A.]"
Vlerchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #14
xXl0sth0peXx
Administrator

xXl0sth0peXx's Forum Picture

Name: Val

If you come across a post that you feel is excessive, even if it isn't directed at someone in particular, you can report it, or you can send it to one of us and we can properly deal with it. With that being said, for the most part, most users are pretty good about not being excessive, and it's never really been an issue. We might be "strict and restrictive" in some ways, but that doesn't necessarily mean we must be in every way.. If this were a site for younger people, then it'd be different.. but at 13 minimum, I think we can manage to handle a few curse words. If it really does offend someone, I think there are browser addons that will block out certain words. If swearing does become an issue, we can visit the idea to make the rule stricter, but I don't think it's necessary.

Feel free to contact me: [email protected]|PM me
Feel free to visit: Ask Me|Diary|My Tumblr

"Perfect. Nice and bright outside. Wow, I'm so rococo x.X" - Bethany
~Steven
- Ali
xXl0sth0peXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 05:55 PM   #15
SkyClad33605
Member++

Name: Willow

TBH I always thought swearing was banned here. Because I don't see a lot of it. And because I've never been clear on the rules for banning. When I signed up there was a bit long list of ban-able offences and I tried to read it, I really did, but it was all over the place.

Sorry, I got off topic, back to swearing.

I think that as long as a user isn't swearing/harassing another user with language then I see no problem with swear words. Also, since there are a number of people here from not-America I assume swear words are different all over. While I don't think people should be harassed I do think that occasionally a user will see/read something that they, and they alone, object to and that's just life I guess. I'm occasionally offended or upset by something I read here and I usually try to let it go. Because we're all different and we all have different tolerances.
SkyClad33605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 06:14 PM   #16
Irishperson15
Nice Poster

Quote:
Exactly. If you can't find a post that proves your point there's no need to complain and it proves that no one on here is overusing bad language.
I'm not really complaining, just curious as to why there isn't a rule when there seems to be for other things. But thanks for your perspective.

Also, why should something bad have to happen for there to be a rule made against it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan View Post
I also don't think we should ban 'excessive' bad language on the simple basis that it runs into all sorts of problems when we attempt to define it within a rule. Banning language that is 'more than required' to make a point isn't workable because the true extent and intentions of the point are unknown to all but the writer.
I agree with what you said, but as regards "define it within a rule" that's what the entire law is, including even on VT so yea. But your clarity is always appreciated

Posts merged. Next time, please use the "Edit" or "Multi" button. ~Elysium

Last edited by Elysium; March 28th, 2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old March 29th, 2016, 03:18 AM   #17
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm not really complaining, just curious as to why there isn't a rule when there seems to be for other things. But thanks for your perspective.

Also, why should something bad have to happen for there to be a rule made against it?
This website has now been running for 12 years, obviously they (the admin) haven't seen a need for this rule, as Val has said above. Hopefully the people on here understand that it isn't acceptable to over-use bad language, which they have for this not to have been a problem over 12 years.

Global Moderator

Old March 29th, 2016, 10:46 AM   #18
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

There isn't a rule against it because it hasn't been a problem, ever. Why should we censor users? Can I ask why it seems like a rule should be in place?

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator

Last edited by ImCoolBeans; March 29th, 2016 at 10:49 AM.
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #19
Irishperson15
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolBeans View Post
There isn't a rule against it because it hasn't been a problem, ever. Why should we censor users? Can I ask why it seems like a rule should be in place?
Haha well they are censored on some things no I was just curious because I've been on forums on the past where it was done. That is all.

Old March 29th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #20
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

Quote:
Haha well they are censored on some things no I was just curious because I've been on forums on the past where it was done. That is all.
There's a huge difference between not allowing sexually explicit material on the site and censoring of bad language.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote