Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old March 14th, 2016, 08:12 PM   #1
Uranus
Mah Home

Uranus's Forum Picture

Name: Thomas (Yung Merk)
Default Chat Room

I know I've already had a thread regarding the chat room but I decided to make another.

Is there any updates on whether or not the chat room is coming back or is it a thing the past?

I understand that it does cost a lot of hard earned money, and that it's a big decision to make, along with how busy your lives can be as you're working and enrolled in school.

I'm not complaining or trying to make you hurry, I'm just curious about how it's coming along.

#ThugLife
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #2
Bmble_B
Nice Poster

Bmble_B's Forum Picture

Name: Changed my mind
Default Re: Chat Room

I'm actually wondering the same. It was a huge surprise when I dropped back in and realized it was gone. I am too curious on it's lifespan.

I wonder what the world would be like without cellphones.

Let's Dance In The Rain.

I'm Different :3
Bmble_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #3
adamchiller

Name: adam

I can make a WhatsApp group. Just to chill. Not sure if that's what your looking for but...

Last edited by azure moonstone; March 14th, 2016 at 10:38 PM. Reason: not really a good idea, sorry
adamchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #4
Uranus
Mah Home

Uranus's Forum Picture

Name: Thomas (Yung Merk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamchiller View Post
I can make a WhatsApp group. Just to chill. Not sure if that's what your looking for but...
-Not speaking on behalf of the staff, but given my experience on VT, I believe I have the right to answer his question, along with why WhatsApp simply won't work-

No, that's not what I'm looking for.
The chat room is/was located here on VT, where it can have chat logs and be moderated by the staff in order to prevent inappropriate things from happening.

On WhatsApp, it can't be moderated.
Plus you can message anyone you want directly privately, and the staff have no way of knowing whatsoever like the would here on VT(If they feel the need to moderate PM's). There's a reason why we have ways of communication Only through VT. And why you have to have 100+ posts in order to privately message anyone, (with the exception of the staff, and even they can moderate the PM's).

There are creeps out there and that would give them access to message anyone they want by either texting or calling them at any time they want. It would be an invasion of privacy and very risky. If you wanna have a WhatsApp group between you and some friends you meet online that's ok, (And forms of contact are only allowed to be shared privately, not publicly)
but publicly having it out there (such as a public group chat on WhatsApp) , is just not safe at all. And is asking for trouble.

And if it were to happen and things did go bad, that wouldn't look good for VT, or it's staff, and would not give a good impression for new members.

#ThugLife

Last edited by azure moonstone; March 14th, 2016 at 10:39 PM. Reason: obvious reason
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #5
TonyJoe

Name: Tony

How long has it actually been gone? I hardly imagine that it'd be coming back if it's been gone for a long time
TonyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 09:15 AM   #6
Typhlosion
Fire-type Metalhead

Typhlosion's Forum Picture

Name: Alex

There's a Tapatalk-generated chatroom, not nearly as good, or safe. I really wish the chatroom would return in some form :/

Formerly at your service! ^^
Ex-GD Mod

Straight / Atheist / Metalhead / Right-wing / Aspie
Typhlosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 10:14 AM   #7
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

I'd just like to put this out there. I don't want you to think that we just gave up. We've been burned three times now in trying to integrate a new chatroom. We've spent a lot of money that got put to no use, spent many hours on things that didn't work out, and put a lot of effort into trying to make them work. The reason why we haven't gone back to addonchat is because Apple stopped supporting Java and the chat does not work properly (at all) with apple computers, which is something we can't have. We have tried alternatives, which seemed to be reputable options, which also did not work out for one reason or another, main reason being proper integration with the database. We haven't forgotten about the chat, and we're not giving up on it entirely, but it's a lot to swallow when you've thrown that kind of money in the garbage and need to start over again. I'm sorry it's taken this long, it wasn't the plan.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2016, 09:28 AM   #8
Flapjack
Good Egg

Flapjack's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolBeans View Post
I'd just like to put this out there. I don't want you to think that we just gave up. We've been burned three times now in trying to integrate a new chatroom. We've spent a lot of money that got put to no use, spent many hours on things that didn't work out, and put a lot of effort into trying to make them work. The reason why we haven't gone back to addonchat is because Apple stopped supporting Java and the chat does not work properly (at all) with apple computers, which is something we can't have. We have tried alternatives, which seemed to be reputable options, which also did not work out for one reason or another, main reason being proper integration with the database. We haven't forgotten about the chat, and we're not giving up on it entirely, but it's a lot to swallow when you've thrown that kind of money in the garbage and need to start over again. I'm sorry it's taken this long, it wasn't the plan.
Heyyyy well I am happy to pay for whatever needs to be paid and I am pretty sure I could make one in HTML code in a day or so?
Flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 02:48 AM   #9
Murk.T.M

Murk.T.M's Forum Picture

How about html css js based chats? Complete browser support, and there are plenty of free templates out there, why not use that? Lol even if it wasn't 1v1 chat, but everyone, it would still be better the none, imho.
Murk.T.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2016, 07:28 AM   #10
Flapjack
Good Egg

Flapjack's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murkle.the.master View Post
How about html css js based chats? Complete browser support, and there are plenty of free templates out there, why not use that? Lol even if it wasn't 1v1 chat, but everyone, it would still be better the none, imho.
Yeah I have a feeling the templates won't work though, or they will force adds or something.

I'm not too sure how this website works, they use vBulletin but I assume the admins use vBulletin to create the site and then they have a server host the site. But yeah this site is HTML so I see no reason why if I create a chatroom or a third party html one is used that it wouldn't work!!

Also they mentioned money?? Don't know much about vBulletin but they might forbid you editing the site in such a way so you have to pay to use their chatroom feature?? I dunno but for the record, I will pay for that if that is what is needed.
Flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote