Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 12th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Amsey
Member+

Unhappy Agoraphobia...

so... I was diagnosed with Agoraphobia at 13... I find it difficult to talk to or meet new people in real life, I don't go out side expect for school (which is really difficult some days, and when im outside I feel like everyone is starring at me... I put my I-pod as loud as it can go and walk every where looking down at my feet... I always feel the panic building up in my head, I just wanna run home and cry when im on say a busy high street or in a shopping centre (mall), when I'm with my friends it gets easier to cope and walk around out side, my best friend walks me from and to school to help me, but if shes off school its so hard , I don't wanna leave the house unless some one is with me and would happily just stay inn my room forever, my counsellor says this spirals in to depression and anxiety symptoms, I also think I may have xenophobia as strangers petrify me...

I wrote all this so everyone here knows why I hate myself, this is way I have no self confidence I hope you all can give me some tips so I can just improve my life... I don't want this to get worse, I don't wanna become "shut in", thank you in advance for replys
Amsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Miserabilia
Our Bipolar Friends

Miserabilia's Forum Picture

Name: dan/johnny foreigner/cheesee
Default Re: Agoraphobia...

Sadly, I don't have any real advice for you...
I just know what it is like to be so scared of something that it gets you in a cycle...
Hope you get better ;0

shout at the world because the world doesn't love you

lower yourself because you know that you have to.
Miserabilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #3
ksdnfkfr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsey View Post
so... I was diagnosed with Agoraphobia at 13... I find it difficult to talk to or meet new people in real life, I don't go out side expect for school (which is really difficult some days, and when im outside I feel like everyone is starring at me... I put my I-pod as loud as it can go and walk every where looking down at my feet... I always feel the panic building up in my head, I just wanna run home and cry when im on say a busy high street or in a shopping centre (mall), when I'm with my friends it gets easier to cope and walk around out side, my best friend walks me from and to school to help me, but if shes off school its so hard , I don't wanna leave the house unless some one is with me and would happily just stay inn my room forever, my counsellor says this spirals in to depression and anxiety symptoms, I also think I may have xenophobia as strangers petrify me...

I wrote all this so everyone here knows why I hate myself, this is way I have no self confidence I hope you all can give me some tips so I can just improve my life... I don't want this to get worse, I don't wanna become "shut in", thank you in advance for replys
You and i are much alike in this. For me its autism, but similar traits to agoraphobia and xenophobia.
I literally cant be anywhere away from home by myself.
A - i would end up having a meltdown and B - would end up getting lost.
My best friend is my helper and takes me to the bus stop and around the school.
Really kinda has to babysit me tbh.

Hating yourself over this is easy to do, but it is a disability and Not a weakness.
Some people with agoraphobia couldn't go outside to school, so you have already shown a lot of strength right there. The only thing i have known to do is keep plugging away and trying to push past barriers. But its so hard. Sometimes even when im successful, it takes so much out of me i just want to sit in the dark and cry. But the pain has been worth it, I have made progress. Its that no pain, no gain thing unfortunately. Hugz

Last edited by ksdnfkfr; February 12th, 2014 at 08:58 AM.
ksdnfkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 05:56 PM   #4
LunaLiuna

Quote:

Hello Amsey,

I've had Agoraphobia for three years now, it caused me to have to leave school and get home tutored which lead to me loosing all of my friends.

I have the same trigger, I feel like everyone's staring/looking at me, I feel like people are laughing at me and it makes me feel super self conscious which causes me to act weird and forms a cycle.

My psychiatrist does Exposure Therapy with me, maybe you could give it a go? as yours seems to not be the most debilitating maybe it would help stop the problem before it gets worse.

I'm fairly new on this forum but feel free to message me if you need too
LunaLiuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #5
Amsey
Member+

thank you for your reply's guys , im so sorry that you guys seem to have worse symptoms than me but ive noticed in the last week ive been sick and just stayed in my house asnd I was happy... I didn't wanna leave I think im giving up

I will take all your advice and will try more looking for an excuse to leave my home, ive never had exposure therapy what is that??
Old February 24th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #6
backjruton
Awesome Poster

backjruton's Forum Picture

Name: JACK

I'm starting to think I'm agoraphobic but I think this is just a slight fear of wide open spaces and a very big fear of crowds. I can walk home from college on my own but the problem I always have is as soon as I get into town I just have a bad feeling in my chest because town is usually quite a busy place. I can go into the shop and buy food which is a very big thing for me as I couldn't do any of this 5 months ago when college started as all the time I was in school I finished at the exact same time which was late enough for my dad to have finished work but now I leave at 4pm on Mondays and Tuesdays then 12.45 on the Wednesday and 11.15 on the Thursday which means I have to go through town and buy food because I don't really fancy having soup every single time I get home early and that's all I really know how to make.

I'm often told that people with my conditions aren't allowed to be on their own because things could go wrong and we're often less safe than other people but I've done perfectly fine. You're never going to learn if you don't go out on your own and this is the best kind of training you can have. It was bad at first, obviously, but I'm slowly getting used to it. I'm just glad that's only half an hour walking back home... but I have another problem where I can only meet college people inside college. I wouldn't have the confidence to meet them outside of college because college and home are the only 2 places I feel properly safe. It bugs me a lot and I find it very confusing, I'm still trying to find out more about my condition which is quite annoying to be honest as it's causing me to be even more stressed than I was before

Maybe the best thing you can do is walk home more often, go into the shops and buy your own food and stuff like that. This is how I'm training myself to get better outside
backjruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #7
JamesSuperBoy
Awesome Poster

JamesSuperBoy's Forum Picture

Name: ^*~James~*^

Quote:
thank you for your reply's guys , im so sorry that you guys seem to have worse symptoms than me but ive noticed in the last week ive been sick and just stayed in my house asnd I was happy... I didn't wanna leave I think im giving up

I will take all your advice and will try more looking for an excuse to leave my home, ive never had exposure therapy what is that??
I know this must be hard - its good you have friends to help out and have a counsellor as well. Can you explore what works for you -
JamesSuperBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #8
Amsey
Member+

hi guys update for ya'll...

I gave up... im sorry I know you guys are all got things so much more worse than me (it makes me feel really pathetic because of that) and still keep pushing through but I just can bring myself to come out my room never mind the house... mum thinks im depressed but my dad says its social anxiety so im confused... im sorry guys