Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 20th, 2016, 09:49 PM   #1
Dune
Junior Member+

Dune's Forum Picture

Unhappy How do I Deal With a Manic Mom?

Hello

tldr; Just found out my mom is semi crazy and has 'mania's' as I believe they are called.

I confirmed it with my dad when he and a visiting friend came over to have a casual chat with her. She would talk on and on about her obsession with the local Indy music scene which she has been apart of for a loooooooong time. She went on about how she was healed and injected with energy by a yogi/yoga teacher that she visits for treatment sometimes. She also mentioned about cosmic powers or some nonsense. She's talk forever and I understood she had manic depression, but I've never actually seen it in action. Normally is very rational and in check, but this is not one of those times.

I am neither afraid of her or feel unsafe. I do however feel uncomfortable, and this is a really big reality shock for me. It makes me almost tear up that my mother is really this off...so much for a normality. My dad offered me to stay over at his home to let my mom have some time to herself, which is great. However, in the mean time...I am in shock and don't know how to respond to the situation. I could really use some advice...anything is appreciated.

Thanks

American, fifteen and male.
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 09:59 PM   #2
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Default Re: How do I Deal With a Manic Mom?

what about contacting social services for help?

btw: I moved to my dad.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:47 PM   #3
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy

Sounds like you could definitely do with some support dealing with this, the above poster is right, perhaps you should talk to social services?

Or is their a counselling service at school that can help you deal with it?

Also is your mother seeing anyone for her condition? They may be able to treat her although lots of people with Bipolar disorder don't want to be treated as they actually enjoy their manic episodes.

Manic episodes don't last forever, so just remember that she will be back to normal, and you will have your mother back.

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
Its your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 10:27 AM   #4
cleancut
Junior Member+

Name: Cooper Strait

For me it seems better to live with the craziness than to live somewhere else. My mom has been in and out of the metal hospital since I can remember. Sometimes she thinks my Dad is trying to kill her and other times she's ok. I can tell when an episode is starting to gear up and I know that it's going to be bad. She has been in bed or on the couch for almost a year now. Sometimes I sing to her or tell her stories, or about what's going on at school, and ask her to get out of bed.

I was in the hospital because of a hernia operation for two nights. I like being away from home and I thought about how nice it would be to not go home. I thought hard about it and I decided that I love my Mom and would never want to go live somewhere else.

I guess I counted the good things and they outweighed the bad.
cleancut is offline   Reply With Quote