Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 9th, 2014, 04:22 PM   #1
Yugen
Member++

Yugen's Forum Picture

Name: Yugen
Default maybe?

I found out last night that bipolar runs in my family. My grandmother has it, my uncle has it, and there could be more.
I was thinking I might have Bipolar II.
For the longest time I've just assumed I had depression because that's what the professionals were telling me. I do have really bad depressive episodes. I can't stop crying, can't eat or sleep properly, etc etc. That part I got down pat. But then there are times when after sinking as low as I've ever felt, I suddenly rise back up. I get things done with enthusiasm. For example, when I'm down I can't write at all, but then suddenly I'll write a full speech in less than an hour. And it'll be the best work I've ever written. I'll feel good about it. I talk a lot, crack jokes. I constantly multitask, unlike when I'm depressed I do absolutely nothing. I don't love my body, but I'm okay with it. (When I'm depressed I can't even look in the mirror without hating every little thing.) It's not like I feel crazy amazing or anything. I just feel okay. I can do what I need to do. I also get in the mindset that I don't need help anymore. This always ruins my counselling efforts. But this mindset doesn't last too long. For a few days, maybe four or five, I'll work hard and I'll dress well and spend time and effort on everything. Then I'm back to being lazy and wanting to die.
It didn't click until now, but do you think it could be bipolar II?

Last edited by Yugen; February 10th, 2014 at 06:10 AM.
Yugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

Syvelocin's Forum Picture

Name: Rith
Default Re: maybe?

As always, only a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist can diagnose you. I can tell you what you describe sounds extremely familiar and I'm diagnosed with bipolar II, in the same way too. I was diagnosed with clinical depression first, and then my psychiatrist when I was first hospitalized diagnosed me with bipolar disorder.

Bipolar disorder is extremely genetic. Family history of bipolar disorder increases the child's chance of developing the disorder to 10-25%. In comparison, about 3% of the US population is affected by bipolar disorder in a given year. I was diagnosed at age thirteen which isn't very common because of hormones and what not. The reason I was diagnosed so early was the fact that my mum is bipolar, which makes the likelihood my symptoms were due to bipolar disorder and not typical teenage angst much higher. And they were right, too. I'm most likely third generation bipolar, but my grandmother wasn't diagnosed.

And I'm sorry I didn't build your walls. And I'm sorry I had to go and fall.
And I'm sorry I had the whole thing wrong. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
And I'm sorry that you are feeling small. And I'm sorry that I'm not used to crawling.
And I'm sorry the writing's on the wall. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
Syvelocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #3
Tarannosaurus
Awesome Poster

Tarannosaurus's Forum Picture

Default Re: maybe?

As Rith said, only a professional can diagnose you. Seriously, guesswork is a really bad thing it will only worry you. Last month I had myself convinced that I had schizophrenia. I had almost all of the 'symptoms' and it runs in my family. But after going to a psychiatrist I was told I couldn't possibly have it. Yes I had all the ' a schizophrenic is x ' type symptoms. But what I didn't have was the 'isn't' symptoms. A person with schizophrenia isn't as logical as they should have been, and isn't an accurate reporter. In all my internet searchings I hadn't come across this. So you see, a professional psychologist/psychiatrist will know things like this that you may have overlooked, or might not have come across. Self-diagnosing can give you a general idea, but for an accurate answer, go to a professional

H&A mod
If you have a question don't hesitate to PM me or email me at [email protected]
Tarannosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote