Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 7th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #1
Babs
draft dodger

Babs's Forum Picture

Default An overwhelming urge to badly hurt myself

I don't really like to talk about this a whole lot, but I decided I really fucking should.

I have an overwhelming urge to badly hurt myself. I spent today contemplating the possibility of stabbing myself in the leg. I get these thoughts, "You should just stab yourself. Just do it." I feel like someone, somewhere wants me to do it and they're trying to tell me because if I get stabbed, someone else won't.

And I don't know how to deal with it. Tell me it's absolutely crazy and that I shouldn't do it.

Last edited by Babs; December 7th, 2015 at 07:12 PM.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy
Default Re: An overwhelming urge to badly hurt myself

Okay first of all those types of beliefs sound as though you may be suffering from psychosis, which is really quite worrying. Do you know those beliefs aren't true, or do you honestly believe that someone else will get stabbed if you don't stab yourself?

Other than those beliefs they do sound like urges that i've had previously and unfortunately there is no easy answer to getting rid of them. The best suggestion I have, still to this day, is to distract yourself in any way you can. I used to find that getting out the house and just running until it really hurt used to help. Nowadays I tend to call someone on the phone. Someone you enjoy talking too and seeing if it distracts you.

If you're suffering from psychosis though, you really should ask for help. Although I do appreciate how hard that is.

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
Its your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #3
Babs
draft dodger

Babs's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction View Post
Okay first of all those types of beliefs sound as though you may be suffering from psychosis, which is really quite worrying. Do you know those beliefs aren't true, or do you honestly believe that someone else will get stabbed if you don't stab yourself?
Yes and no, but mostly yes. When I think about it as I normally would, I don't have much doubt. But I understand that it's not a conventional belief, and there aren't many people out there who would call it anything more than superstition.
Old December 12th, 2015, 08:44 PM   #4
Vanilla Cupcake
Nice Poster

Vanilla Cupcake's Forum Picture

Name: Ella

Well weather it's psychosis or the truth. Why should you have to take the stabbing for someone else? Don't listen to those thoughts.
Or do you mean that it's you that might stab someone else?
If it's that. Then you should see a therapist if you have the money. You don't want to end up in prison or something yikes,
Vanilla Cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 11:47 PM   #5
Babs
draft dodger

Babs's Forum Picture

I figured it's worth mentioning that I've been stabbing myself with small scissors since I've posted this. I haven't been seriously injured, and I'm trying to stop.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with me, but this isn't the only time someone has suggested that I might be experiencing psychosis.

I've been considering asking for help, and perhaps I'll update if there's any progress on that.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 09:15 PM   #6
Aziz

Name: Aziz

Find something you like to do to take your mind of it. Talk to someone you really trust. And no, you don't have to stab yourself.
Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 10:00 AM   #7
Cadanance00
Awesome Poster

Cadanance00's Forum Picture

Name: Kayden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan View Post
Tell me it's absolutely crazy and that I shouldn't do it.
It's absolutely crazy and you shouldn't do it. As above have said, find some other way to feel.

~Caen

"You are wise, van Helsing, for one who has not yet lived one life."
-Count Dracula
Cadanance00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #8
The Cat Man

The Cat Man's Forum Picture

Quote:
I don't really like to talk about this a whole lot, but I decided I really fucking should.

I have an overwhelming urge to badly hurt myself. I spent today contemplating the possibility of stabbing myself in the leg. I get these thoughts, "You should just stab yourself. Just do it." I feel like someone, somewhere wants me to do it and they're trying to tell me because if I get stabbed, someone else won't.

And I don't know how to deal with it. Tell me it's absolutely crazy and that I shouldn't do it.
No, I'm pretty sure you aren't the only one to think about that. I mean, I never thought about harming myself, but I know you're not the only one. And yes, you absolutely shouldn't do it.

And, it's a really good thing that you decided to mention this. You might get some helpful advice and it will make you feel a little better about the situation hopefully.
The Cat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 07:53 AM   #9
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy

Quote:
I figured it's worth mentioning that I've been stabbing myself with small scissors since I've posted this. I haven't been seriously injured, and I'm trying to stop.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with me, but this isn't the only time someone has suggested that I might be experiencing psychosis.

I've been considering asking for help, and perhaps I'll update if there's any progress on that.
Just read your response to another thread about being epileptic. Is there any chance the psychosis has anything to do with that? I know epilepsy can cause hallucinations etc. So it may be worth bringing it up with the doctor you see for your epilepsy.

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
Its your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #10
rianvice
Junior Member+

Name: Kashina

I have similar thoughts to you. I often get the urge to stab myself or burn myself. I often think that if I don't do it to myself then I have to do it to someone else, (whoever is around). Whenever I am around knives and fire I always either want to hurt myself or someone else. It's like a little voice egging me on. I'm not exactly sure what to do about these thoughts so I try to control them as best as possible.

I don't even know anymore.
rianvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:27 PM   #11
Body odah Man
VT Lover

Body odah Man's Forum Picture

Like others have said I also feel the urge for self punishment a lot. Like a tiny voice in my head, or my own mind, wants me to. I've never done cutting myself tho. It's not normal and you should try to avoid it. Sadly that's very hard to do, and I can't rlly give u any advice. Just know that you're not alone

Just a chilling teen that hates baths, collects Yugioh cards and loves Runescape
Body odah Man is offline   Reply With Quote