Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 7th, 2015, 01:17 AM   #1
Equinox1

Name: ???
Unhappy Who do I tell?

I'm very sure that I either have or am at risk of an eating disorder. I see a therapist already but I'm not seeing her again until next month. I'm scared to tell someone about the things I do. When I'm hungry I try to keep myself from eating for as long as possible because being hungry feels good to me and I don't know why. I've tried to make myself vomit but it didn't work. I check my weight with the scales a lot now and I never used to worry before. I want to take laxatives but I'm afraid that I'll hurt myself so I just eat a bunch of fruit instead because that's supposed to be a natural laxative. Even if I have lost weight, I still don't feel happy and I still feel fat. If I'm hungry, I'll just drink something so I feel full because that's what my aunt does too so that's how I got the idea. I've started trying to lose more weight through sweating more during exercise so I put on this jumper while I did it and losing weight is the only reason I even do exercise. I feel guilty after I eat too, like I feel like I'm the worst person in the world and that everyone's judging me. I don't want an eating disorder. I feel like if I become anorexic or bulimic or am diagnosed with EDNOS that it's like a death sentence. I've heard so many stories about people dying from eating disorders but I don't know what to do. I have to eat to survive but that will make me put on weight. I'm afraid that if I tell someone then they'll get mad at me or they'll tell my parents. My parents don't know about this. I don't know what to do
Equinox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #2
Vermilion
Awesome Poster

Vermilion's Forum Picture

Name: ....
Default Re: Who do I tell?

You need help and a this is a good step. Why can't your parents know ? They would only try to help right ?
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 01:27 AM   #3
Equinox1

Name: ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin View Post
You need help and a this is a good step. Why can't your parents know ? They would only try to help right ?

They think that I'm happy and cheerful all the time and I don't want to upset them. That's probably a stupid reason but my mom says that I look fine alright and she might think that it's silly for me to try and lose weight. She doesn't like it when I talk about being fat.
Equinox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 01:34 AM   #4
Vermilion
Awesome Poster

Vermilion's Forum Picture

Name: ....

My parents and friends thought I was happy for months when I was very depressed. I do think you should tell them
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 11:17 PM   #5
Bebdina

Bebdina's Forum Picture

Name: Dale

Hey, I agree with the comments here. If you are unhappy about the situation, you can bet your parents will eventually understand. It is ok for people to feel upset about an issue or a problem; the trick is to address the problem so that it does not become a bigger and more difficult problem. I think you should tell your mom exactly how much all this is bothering you, and that you expect and want her love and support to help you get through it. If the problem continues, you will continue to feel unhappy, and will probably get more intense, so my advice is to tackle it now before it gets worse. Maybe your mom can get another appointment with your therapist sooner.
Bebdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #6
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox1 View Post
They think that I'm happy and cheerful all the time and I don't want to upset them. That's probably a stupid reason but my mom says that I look fine alright and she might think that it's silly for me to try and lose weight. She doesn't like it when I talk about being fat.
Your mum is just being a mum. No parent likes to see their child unhappy, especially with themselves. But I second/third/fourth/whatever everyone else here. If you know there is a problem and you're not happy in your situation now, there's only one person who can step up and change things and that's you. It's hard but I think your parents are your best bet, especially your mum. Tell her that you're tired of feeling this way about yourself and judging by the things she says to you, she wants you to feel better about yourself. Of course you don't want to upset your parents but I honestly think they'll be less upset at you admitted you need help than potentially getting very sick because you didn't want to tell anyone.

As I told someone else, if it seems like you're in a safe enough situation to confide in your parents, do so. They're supposed to be there to love you and look after you. Admittedly, not everyone has that but if you do, you should really, really take advantage of that. I think your mum wants to help you and maybe just doesn't know how, hence "not liking" when you talk about feeling fat.
Deleted User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #7
hazelteen

hazelteen's Forum Picture

Name: Axel

I hate that people have to go through this and I really wish you all the best

The fact that your seeking help is a sign that you are so, so, strong and that you can beat this.
Remember, you don't have to be diagnosed to have an ed and when you are, it may be too late for you to have the mental strength for recovery.
What I'm trying to say is don't worry about diagnosis because if it turns out that you do have an eating disorder, the sooner you make other aware, the sooner you can seek treatment.

local GP (ask parent to take you and for you to have a private conversation by yourselves)
Adult you trust such as family relative
School nurse ~ someone similar
I would be carful with friends. They obviously will mean well, yet as they are not trained in eating disorders, they might say the wrong thing and end up not helping you at all.

Good luck and please please please keep trying to get help. It's the right thing and I want to help as many people as I can but there is only so much advice I can give as a stranger on line. If you think it's sensible, take it.

Best of luck

Stars can't shine without darkness.
hazelteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 09:48 AM   #8
xXoblivionXx
Awkward Taco :3

xXoblivionXx's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox1 View Post
if you feel like that is the case try your school counsolor or a trusted teacher
xXoblivionXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 09:59 PM   #9
Aziz

Name: Aziz

You should talk to someone about it. And this is the first step posting here. talk to your mom about it. I believe it would be best to tell her that in a calm manner as to receive advice and not to get help. When it comes to parents they get overprotective and might make things worse by making this into a big problem.

Hope the best for you.
Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote