Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: Can I say I have an eating disorder if it's self diagnosed?
Yes 10 90.91%
No 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 28th, 2015, 10:01 PM   #1
AnxietyAndIL
Banned

Name: andrew
Default Saying I have an eating disorder

This is going to be short. Can I say that I have an eating disorder even if it's self diagnosed?
Old November 29th, 2015, 02:02 PM   #2
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Default Re: Saying I have an eating disorder

Let's put it this way: an eating disorder is an eating disorder. Disordered eating is more common than you would think, it's just often not diagnosed until it hits a point of being critical to one's health. Because people with disordered eating often go to great lengths to hide it. So yes, you can have an eating disorder without a formal diagnosis. If you wanted help and went to someone and said "I have an eating disorder, I need help" they're not gonna ask you for like some medical certificate. Because disordered eating, regardless of the kind, can be dangerous.

I have an eating disorder. It was not diagnosed because I did not fit the criteria for anorexia entirely but let's face it: I was about 10lbs from being classed as anorexic and had all the psychological symptoms. Whether or not it's written on paper that "Jo has been diagnosed with anorexia nervosa as of _______" I still have an eating disorder.

Do I widely broadcast this? No. But I can still say it because it's accurate.

I don't usually advocate self-diagnosis for any form of mental illness because the brain is a complicated thing and usually you need a professional who has been trained and studied for matters like these to properly assess you. Self-diagnosis is not healthy. But eating disorders are a little bit different, in my mind, where the physical symptoms and compulsions are a lot more obvious.

That said, disordered eating is not always severe. A bad habit for some people perhaps, but not necessarily within the clinical definition of a "real" eating disorder. But if that's what you're experiencing, I don't see why you can't say that if you're self-aware enough to realize that's what is happening. I'd also urge you to seek help. Eating disorders are not fun and they're a lot harder to recover from than people believe.
Old January 20th, 2016, 02:51 PM   #3
danny87786

Name: Danny

Well I used to be bulimic but I have never received a diagnosed formally. I was seeing my school's counsellor because that was the think do to from what |I was reading and she was telling me about bulimia but I knew what I had and I wasn't throwing up because of the gastro of course but I was throwing up because I found myself fat and ugly. There was the eating 4 bag of chips a box of may west 3 slices of chicken 2 grilled cheses and other foods on my list than shoving my finger up my throat I don't think you need someone who spend their whole life in school to know that is an eating disorder,
Old January 24th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #4
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy

I battled with this question for years. I'd say if your eating is causing your distress and problems you have an eating disorder.

I was never formally diagnosed as far as I knew, yet I got a glimpse of my doctor's notes a few years ago and "anorexia nervosa" was in the list of "major diagnoses".

Diagnosis is subjective anyway.

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
Its your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes
Old January 25th, 2016, 05:29 PM   #5
hazelteen

hazelteen's Forum Picture

Name: Axel

Yes, if you are telling very close family, tell them that you "think" so and that it's important that you go to a doctor to get help. (Which it absolutely is, trust me).
For a friend, that's up to you. My personal opinion is that it should be fine.
Good luck with your recovery x

Stars can't shine without darkness.
Old January 25th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #6
Sheriff McGregor
VT's Poet

Sheriff McGregor's Forum Picture

Only you know if you have an eating disorder or not

THESHERIFF
Visit the links below if you'd like

Old March 2nd, 2016, 10:28 PM   #7
azure moonstone