Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 17th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #1
The Trendy Wolf
Nice Poster

The Trendy Wolf's Forum Picture

Name: Grant
Default Depression Forum

I'm not entirely sure why depression has a forum that is conjoined with loss and grief, when depression in itself should certainly have a separate sub-forum in Mental Illnesses.

The fact that the description currently says "We all get depressed but some of us have it worse than others" is vague in that it doesn't refer directly to the illness itself, but rather the more general feeling of depression is what is mentioned.

I still see plenty of people posting about the mental illness here, and I just believe there should be a sub-forum, and if not to replace the current one, then as an addition.

Wolves

I try really hard not to be too full of myself
The Trendy Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 01:29 PM   #2
Jaffe
Great Poster

Jaffe's Forum Picture

Name: Jaffe
Default Re: Depression Forum

Agreed!
Jaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #3
Desuetude
---

Desuetude's Forum Picture

Name: Isaac

Whats the point? Sub forums get lost on this site tbh, I bare even click on them because I forget they're there so new users are even less likely to realise. Depression, loss and grief all somewhat link in to one another and yes, I understand that depression is a mental illness rather than a 'feeling' so in that sense its very different but the fact that all the topics are in one place means that there will be more traffic and people posting about grieving may see a thread about someone with depression and may feel as though they can provide some advice and vice versa. This is more unlikely to happen if they were in separate places. Also, having them all in the same place means that people wont have to pick and choose where theyre posting, its just a lot easier. A sub forum seems like a completely pointless idea to me.
Desuetude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #4
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Depression as well as loss and grief are not necessarily unrelated. Yes, clinical depression or Major Depressive Disorder is often a genetic illness. But there are other forms of depression, that are also medically recognized, that are triggered by traumatic events, loss and grief being a major trigger. Grief and depression often do go hand in hand. So there's no reason to separate them.

I would suggest though, could we please change the "tag line"? It's always rubbed me the wrong way (gee, could I have brought this up when I was on staff? probably and then I never did oops) as if we're trivializing some of the traffic that goes through that section. I think it was meant to mean that some people are sad while others are depressed but it just comes across as a bit... insensitive when depression, loss, grief, any mental illness in general is not a comparison game.

Figured this thread was an appropriate place to mention this since it's along the same line.
Deleted User is offline   Reply With Quote