Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 24th, 2015, 01:59 PM   #1
KidWithTheHeadband
Junior Member+

KidWithTheHeadband's Forum Picture

Name: Andrew
Default Driving

It's kind of awkward to admit this, but I'm 17 and still dont have my license to drive. I took the class my sophomore year, did the behind the wheel part where I actually drive a car for six months. But I still just cannot shake this huge anxiety I have whenever I get behind the wheel.

I get made fun of by my family because of it and I just cannot get over it. I sweat, shake, my heart is pounding, so on and so forth. But I just cannot get over it. My dad shoves me into situations where I'm completely uncomfortable with what im doing. Forcing me to park inbetween a whole bunch of cars when I clearly have issues with it. (It took 10 minutes for me.) Then we never follow up because I'm completely drained from it.

Even if I keep going at it I just can't get over it at all. It's preventing me from getting a job (Which I need because I live in a house where everyone cannot work.) But I just get so stressed over it I literally cannot function. Even talking about this right now I feel sick to my stomach.

Are there any tips that anyone can give me to get around this? I'm stressing out over the fact I can't get over it. And I'm getting a boatload of stress dropped on me because I can't get over it.

Quote:
While you're alive, you need a reason for your existence. Being unable to find one is the same as being dead.
Just your friendly neighborhood ninja (or nerd), trying to find himself.
KidWithTheHeadband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #2
Vermilion
Awesome Poster

Vermilion's Forum Picture

Name: ....
Default Re: Driving

What keeps you calm ? Any music ?
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #3
KidWithTheHeadband
Junior Member+

I'm not much of a fan of listening to music in the car as It diverts my attention away from the road too much in my opinion, I could just try talk radio or something mundane like that.

I'm considering doing a spin around the neighborhood this evening if my dad doesn't have a hissy fit over his phone like he's been having this afternoon.

Quote:
While you're alive, you need a reason for your existence. Being unable to find one is the same as being dead.
Old October 24th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Hi, I don't have a lot of driving experience cause I'm not old enough yet, but wondering, what do you get so worked up for?
I mean, is it some thought that you think will happen or something?

Just trying to think what can help ya no?
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 02:50 PM   #5
Vermilion
Awesome Poster

Vermilion's Forum Picture

Name: ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidWithTheHeadband View Post
I'm not much of a fan of listening to music in the car as It diverts my attention away from the road too much in my opinion, I could just try talk radio or something mundane like that.

I'm considering doing a spin around the neighborhood this evening if my dad doesn't have a hissy fit over his phone like he's been having this afternoon.
I think you need something something just to distract you a bit and need some calm helpful people not your family
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 07:09 PM   #6
KidWithTheHeadband
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJreversed View Post
Hi, I don't have a lot of driving experience cause I'm not old enough yet, but wondering, what do you get so worked up for?
I mean, is it some thought that you think will happen or something?

Just trying to think what can help ya no?
In all honesty, I don't even know. It's stupid to be honest. But I just get behind the wheel and just feel like im panicing despite me not looking it. It could be any number of things from accidents to just screwing up in general because any mistake I end up doing will cost me money I don't exactly have.

It's probably the most stupid thing I've ever experienced in my life.

Even my friends don't have this issue at all. It's ridiculous.

I'm sort of chopping this up to just a plain bad experience with driving in general. My BTW teacher was ridiculously sarcastic and dry about everything. Nothing was explained at all while we were on the road. Just, "turn here, do X maneuver" barely any instruction at all. It did not help me get any more relaxed at all, even with time.

I just wish I had somebody else to practice driving with. But there's just my Dad. Which really kind of sucks.

Quote:
Old October 24th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #7
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Well maybe like you said, a little driving time by yourself around the block where nobody breathing down your neck and you can decide where you turn and what maneuvers you do

Can you do that?
Old October 24th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #8
KidWithTheHeadband
Junior Member+

Nope, driving laws are pretty strict about that since I dont have my license. I need to have an adult passenger in the vehicle otherwise I'll get into hella trouble.

Quote:
Old October 24th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #9
Jaffe
Great Poster

Jaffe's Forum Picture

Name: Jaffe

Quote:
It's kind of awkward to admit this, but I'm 17 and still dont have my license to drive. I took the class my sophomore year, did the behind the wheel part where I actually drive a car for six months. But I still just cannot shake this huge anxiety I have whenever I get behind the wheel.

I get made fun of by my family because of it and I just cannot get over it. I sweat, shake, my heart is pounding, so on and so forth. But I just cannot get over it. My dad shoves me into situations where I'm completely uncomfortable with what im doing. Forcing me to park inbetween a whole bunch of cars when I clearly have issues with it. (It took 10 minutes for me.) Then we never follow up because I'm completely drained from it.

Even if I keep going at it I just can't get over it at all. It's preventing me from getting a job (Which I need because I live in a house where everyone cannot work.) But I just get so stressed over it I literally cannot function. Even talking about this right now I feel sick to my stomach.

Are there any tips that anyone can give me to get around this? I'm stressing out over the fact I can't get over it. And I'm getting a boatload of stress dropped on me because I can't get over it.
Do you generally get anxiety, over other issues too? Or is the first time you have ever experienced this?

If you have had it other times, list them out, perhaps here in a response. Then you might see things that are common, and work on just that part of it.
Jaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #10
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Well then giess you got some searching to do
You could also ask dad to take you to an empty lot and let you drive there on your own, or with him allowing you to do your own thing
Old October 25th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #11
KidWithTheHeadband
Junior Member+

I'm not a generally anxious person. Tests, Speeches, etc., I've all gotten over fears like that where I can get through them fine. But certain things just seem to set me off.

Real life situations (ala driving) I get really jittery as if im amped up on loads of caffeine. But I'm not anxious about applying for work or interviews.

Speeches I might get some sweats and stumble on a few words but I get through them fine.

This is a bit of a weird one, but I get a really sick feeling whenever certain things happen to certain characters in a variety of things, ranging from books to video games. More often than not, it's not like horrifically bad things, just things that seem...off. It's bizzare and random.

I'm not that anxious socially. If somebody strikes up conversation I dont shove him or her away from me. More often than not, I instigate conversations.

It's just this stupid anxiety about driving that is preventing me from just going for it. I literally feel my fight or flight instincts just kicking into overdrive whenever I get behind the wheel. When I'm just a passenger I'm typically fine, I have these odd moments where I just feel really dizzy and have these bouts of motion sickness where my head feels like it's just pulsing.

I haven't been able to get out at all recently because my Dad is really stressed out lately. And I think that might just be the main issue. I literally have no alternatives for a driving teacher, and every time I do go out I have bad experiences in general which really impact my relaxation.

It just really sucks.

Quote:
Old October 26th, 2015, 05:04 AM   #12
Noody

Noody's Forum Picture

Name: Elliot

Quote:

It might be worth trying to find a driving instructor to help you through it - I've got an instructor and it's so helpful, they can adapt your lessons to what they think you are capable of and only when you are confident will they push you a bit more. It's like "baby steps" but in a much less belittling way.

Good luck, bear in mind that some people don't drive until they are like 25 or 30 - Driving is not a necessity, take your time and enjoy it

Hi, I'm Noody. Please message me if you want help or a chat, I love talking to people!

"We can make the world stop"
"Your life is a product of your choices."
"There is nothing wrong with being gay anymore, wake up."

17 ~ Gay ~ Male
Noody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 11:52 PM   #13
bruhh15

bruhh15's Forum Picture

Listen to music, whatever keeps u calm. Don't worry to much, everything will be alright. I sure there is other people out there with the same issue

Hey what's up? Pm me about anything very open and like to help people! Like to make music and do covers with my launchpad!
bruhh15 is offline   Reply With Quote