Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 24th, 2015, 09:01 AM   #1
Doc. Maestro
Nice Poster

Doc. Maestro's Forum Picture

Name: Aaron
Default Self-diagnosis?

Well, I wasn't sure exactly where to put this because I have a few conditions. To begin with, I obviously enough have an anxiety disorder of some sort, and it may be mild but it's there. I can't stop thinking about incredibly unrealistic situations; my date later today (it's past midnight :3) could be pranking me, the people walking down the street near me might have a concealed weapon, and other weird things like that. It's sort of paranoia, but it also expands into stuff like my schoolwork, like "I'm never going to do this or that, and unless I stop it I won't get into med school", and then I keep doing it and I keep stressing about the possibility of not getting into med school.

On top of this over the last year and a half or so, I've had extreme mood swings every couple of months. Currently I'm in a more happy phase, but about two weeks ago I was in a mental shithole, and I couldn't even see the light in the dark. It's been happening like this for ages so I sort of diagnosed myself with some sort of bipolar disorder, though not extreme.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you guys what you think; I know many people have it worse, I don't need to be reminded (again). I just want to know if you guys think that you have to see a psychiatrist to "be allowed" to say you have particular disorders, or if you can probably say it if you're absolutely certain (because you exhibit many signs).

Thanks for reading guys, good luck in your ventures, and may you be guided for Eternity

Hey guys, this is partially for me but also for anybody else who may want it; my diary: http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/fo...play.php?f=514

For those who care: I've changed my username, I used to be Yan Hearn
Doc. Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 09:56 AM   #2
Desuetude
---

Desuetude's Forum Picture

Name: Isaac
Default Re: Self-diagnosis?

Psychologists spend years at univesity studying to be able to properly diagnose people, if it was that easy then why would they need to spend so many years getting a degree? So no, I don't think that realistically you can self-diagnose any mental disorder. Sure, you may exhibit many of the symptoms but symptoms can relate to so many other things that it's hard to say "I show this, this, this and this and therefore I have 'this' disorder", it doesn't really work like that.

Yes it sounds like you suffer from anxiety but just because you're often extremely anxious/paranoid, that doesn't mean you necessarily have an anxiety disorder. I can safely say that I have experienced everything you stated in the first paragraph, mostly in 2012/13, and I ended up looking up anxiety disorder symptoms too, but I never diagnosed myself with anything that I screamed to the world. I just considered myself to be an extremely anxious, stressed person at the time. Pile that on top of a shit state of mind and all you want is to be able to 'label' yourself with a disorder to attempt to make some sense of how you're feeling and thinking, I understand that.

I'm not saying you don't have a disorder but I'd honestly go and see a doctor/psychologist or someone who can properly diagnose those types of things before making assumptions.
Desuetude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 10:03 AM   #3
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desuetude View Post
Psychologists spend years at univesity studying to be able to properly diagnose people, if it was that easy then why would they need to spend so many years getting a degree? So no, I don't think that realistically you can self-diagnose any mental disorder. Sure, you may exhibit many of the symptoms but symptoms can relate to so many other things that it's hard to say "I show this, this, this and this and therefore I have 'this' disorder", it doesn't really work like that.

Yes it sounds like you suffer from anxiety but just because you're often extremely anxious/paranoid, that doesn't mean you necessarily have an anxiety disorder. I can safely say that I have experienced everything you stated in the first paragraph, mostly in 2012/13, and I ended up looking up anxiety disorder symptoms too, but I never diagnosed myself with anything that I screamed to the world. I just considered myself to be an extremely anxious, stressed person at the time. Pile that on top of a shit state of mind and all you want is to be able to 'label' yourself with a disorder to attempt to make some sense of how you're feeling and thinking, I understand that.

I'm not saying you don't have a disorder but I'd honestly go and see a doctor/psychologist or someone who can properly diagnose those types of things before making assumptions.
yep I don't recommend a self-diagnosis either. people started reading books or stuff online (which may or may not be accurate) and they always begin to assume the worse and think they have problems they don't. professionals can be wrong sometimes too, but there is a reason why they have the education they do

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 09:13 AM   #4
PhandomMember

PhandomMember's Forum Picture

Self diagnosis isn't a good idea. You could be wrong, and that would make the situation worse. You would get the wrong treatment and help, which can worsen the condition. Be sure to talk to a professional and see what they have to say. It's important to get help if something is bothering you, so I recommend seeing someone about this.

Please subscribe to danisnotonfire and AmazingPhil on YouTube!
PhandomMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 03:40 AM   #5
ObliviousCat

ObliviousCat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desuetude View Post
Psychologists spend years at univesity studying to be able to properly diagnose people, if it was that easy then why would they need to spend so many years getting a degree? So no, I don't think that realistically you can self-diagnose any mental disorder.
Even though I wouldn't recommend self-diagnosis, people can get their hands on the DSM-5, which can make self-diagnosis a lot more accurate. The DSM-5 is the standard manual used by experts for the diagnosis of recognized mental illness in the U.S.
Therapists and psychologists spend years of studying because there's a lot more to being a psychologist than diagnosing your patients. You have to know how to handle certain situations, what therapy methods can be used, etc. There's a lot to studying psychology and there are several branches of it. Additionally, there's biology and medicine involved. Even when you have your license, you are still required to go through training every couple of months or so. It's medical school. They have to cover everything.
Mental health professionals base their diagnosis on the person's report of symptoms -- including any social or functional problems caused by the symptoms -- and his or her observation of the person's attitudes and behavior. The doctor then determines if the person's symptoms and degree of disability point to a diagnosis of a specific disorder. Honestly, this could easily be done at home. The self-diagnoses I made on myself has never been wrong except for one time because I didn't have the right resources, which is accessible to anyone.
ObliviousCat is offline   Reply With Quote