Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old March 20th, 2004, 11:59 AM   #1
TheWizard
Retired Administrator

TheWizard's Forum Picture

Default Read This ---> It Explains What Depression Is.

Not only adults become depressed. Children and teenagers also may have depression, which is a treatable illness. Depression is defined as an illness when the feelings of depression persist and interfere with a child or adolescent=s ability to function.

About 5 percent of children and adolescents in the general population suffer from depression at any given point in time. Children under stress, who experience loss, or who have attentional, learning, conduct or anxiety disorders are at a higher risk for depression. Depression also tends to run in families.

The behavior of depressed children and teenagers may differ from the behavior of depressed adults. Child and adolescent psychiatrists advise parents to be aware of signs of depression in their youngsters.

If one or more of these signs of depression persist, parents should seek help:

Frequent sadness, tearfulness, crying
Hopelessness
Decreased interest in activities; or inability to enjoy previously favorite activities
Persistent boredom; low engergy
Social isolation, poor communication
Low self esteem and guilt
Extreme sensitivity to rejection or failure
Increased irritability, anger, or hostility
Difficulty with relationships
Frequent complaints of physical illnesses such as headaches and stomachaches
Frequent absences from school or poor performance in school
Poor concentration
A major change in eating and/or sleeping patterns
Talk of or efforts to run away from home
Thoughts or expressions of suicide or self destrubtive behavior

The Depressed Child, "Facts for Families," No. 4 (9/98)

A child who used to play often with friends may now spend most of the time alone and without interests. Things that were once fun now bring little joy to the depressed child. Children and adolescents who are depressed may say they want to be dead or may talk about suicide. Depressed children and adolescents are at increased risk for committing suicide. Depressed adolescents may abuse alcohol or other drugs as a way to feel better.

Children and adolescents who cause trouble at home or at school may actually be depressed but not know it. Because the youngster may not always seem sad, parents and teachers may not realize that troublesome behavior is a sign of depression. When asked directly, these children can sometimes state they are unhappy or sad.

Early diagnosis and medical treatment are essential for depressed children. This is a real illness that requires professional help. Comprehensive treatment often includes both individual and family therapy. It may also include the use of antidepressant medication. For help, parents should ask their physician to refer them to a child and adolescent psychiatrist, who can diagnose and treat depression in children and teenagers.

Last edited by Maverick; June 28th, 2007 at 11:46 AM.
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #2
-Silence
...La De Dah!

-Silence's Forum Picture

Name: Heather, Duh.

Sounds like me..

Thank you.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.
-Calvin & Hobbes.
-Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #3
Inuyasha4

I just feel like I'm empty and when I'm around friends I feel like I pretend to be happy.

If depression runs in my family ( grandma, mom, both brothers) what are the chances that I have it?
Inuyasha4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #4
Doug
Awesome Poster

This sound exactly like me.

Formerly known as CARNAGE and Paint it Black.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 04:35 PM   #5
dying lullaby
Awesome Poster

dying lullaby's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyasha4
I just feel like I'm empty and when I'm around friends I feel like I pretend to be happy.

If depression runs in my family ( grandma, mom, both brothers) what are the chances that I have it?
wow word for word, thats just like me just add a few more relatives to the list

http://usera.imagecave.com/aoxfordca/dyinglull4.jpg
^ made by AtlantaWonder ^

She can\'t remember a time when she felt needed
If love was red then she was color blind
leave me be, while i rot and die, in the corner, under the blanket that you gave me when you lied and told me i ment something
~Bri
dying lullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 10:43 PM   #6
GuidedByTheWind

Quote:

Yep sounds like me! Except I dunno if people have been depressed in my fam.... I hate the fact that I act as if everything's normal because then my friends and I can't talk about it...
GuidedByTheWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #7
Track 14
Member+

omg this has rely shocked me, i am a rely positive person but i kinda told myself i am now depressed today, i know it sounds wierd but i always refused to admit it. most of the listed signs i have, my punctuality at school is about%70 witch is very bad my mum may get find. my empathy is unbeleavable, a knocked over a glass of pop and i have never actually got over it, i felt like i had killed the thing. my boredom is critical, i mean it got to the extent that the other day i got mum to buy me a game and the man said it was huge and i completed it in two days. the doctor says i am depressed, but we have recently moved so i now have stopped travelling to him so far away. i havnt got one anymore. i have 3 mates and i hardly now them at all (i have friends were i used to live). i just dont make them easy. i know girls are rely interested in me, i get asked out all the time but i always reject them bcus i feel they wont to use me or there too good for me. even if i like them in return, im becomin agrophobic. i only leave my bedroom to go shop, kitchen, bathroom or school. i feel like such a retard saying all this,bcus i know others are far much worst then me, and it feels freshie like. but i had to give in. i have rely bad troubles telling people how i feel. i first had councelling when i was 5 with a VICOR but i wouldnt talk to him.

if anyone can help please do so.

joy
Track 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #8
dying lullaby
Awesome Poster

i'm sorry you feel like that, i know how you feel tho, maybe not exactly but enough to know its not fun...i think you might want to go to a doctor and see if you can get some meds b/c you do sound depressed if not something else. no1 has to live like you do, maybe you could get another shrink...i had one when i was younger but i didnt know y at the time, i was just forced into it. she thought my mom was crazy for thinking i had to go to one but look at me now...sorry. after a while you might get comfortable enough with him to talk to him...or you might keep things bottled up so long that you just explode. i did that to my friend once and it totally helped...i know its hard to even tell your mom that you're not doing so good, but you just have to make that first step in telling someone and then hopefully they'll help you the rest of the way.

i hope i helped some...good luck if you do ask for help

leave me be, while i rot and die, in the corner, under the blanket that you gave me when you lied and told me i ment something
~Bri
Old April 19th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #9
Chance

Quote:

Chances are with a family history of it you may get deperssion. If your feeling this way in side. I would talk to a doctor our consler or someone like that. Chances are you may be that way. There are many many forms of depression. I was diganosed with depression and take meds for it everyday. I feel so much better now that I take my meds everyday.

If you think you are and are having the feeling you are having I would sure go to the doctor and tell him what is going on and see what he or she would say.

Have a great day

Chance
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 02:17 PM   #10
Track 14
Member+

yeah thnx btw, depression runs in the familyt with me too, my auntie has just came out a mental instituation, my sister self harms and my nan has to see a councellor bcus she looks after a mentally ill person (my auntie)

joy
Track 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:28 AM   #11
pistol_krig

deleted

I\'m tired of lying, I\'m tired of trying, on the outside I\'m smiling, but inside I\'m dying....

Last edited by pistol_krig; June 14th, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
pistol_krig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 05:40 PM   #12
TheWizard
Retired Administrator

Wow I'm so sorry you are that depressed. Sounds like you might benefit from getting on anti-depressants. No need to feel depressed when the cure is only a pill away. It can help you become happy again. Hope this helps.

Josh

Old May 4th, 2004, 12:12 PM   #13
pistol_krig

deleted

I\'m tired of lying, I\'m tired of trying, on the outside I\'m smiling, but inside I\'m dying....

Last edited by pistol_krig; June 14th, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
pistol_krig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:39 PM   #14
Dfsg
Awesome Poster

I was diagnosed with depression late last year. It really got in the way of my life, and my grades dropped, and friendships got worse, my social life died, I thought about death, and all those other fun things that come along with Depression.

I'm out of it now (thanks to a bit of Seretonin). It feels so good to laugh again. I do know how terrible it must be for everyone with depression. I hope everyone suffering from it can find a way to get out of it soon! I'm open to talking about it, if anyone has a rough day.
Dfsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #15
samfoshort

hi i am sam hi sam i am i am very depressed and i need help because i am sam. please help me i have a serious problem and i need serious help.

hi i am sam hi sam i am
samfoshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:07 AM   #16
I_smile_because_I_have_to
Junior Member+

Quote:
Everybody thinks that I i'm this happy girl with many friends, work hard at school, and loves life...Well, surprise, I don't!
I kinda feel like I'm not such a freak anymore.....theres other people who feel and act like me. I'm not alone anymore! BTW I was just wondering is self-harm a mental illness or w/e? That question is probably soooooooooo stupid but hey!

B.E.C.K.Y
XXX

****I\'ll never forget such a perfect night under the stars****

Perfection is a way of life. Perfection is my way of life.
I_smile_because_I_have_to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2004, 05:07 PM   #17
dying lullaby
Awesome Poster

self harm can be a system of a mental illness or personality disorder, or it could just be an other way to cope. It depends on a lot of other things.

~Bri
Old June 29th, 2004, 07:32 PM   #18
Inuyasha4

Default Thanks.

I don't know where the right place to put this, so you moderators can move it if you like, but i just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied with suggestions. I went to the doctor, I do have depression, and I am doing pretty well in treatment, I am taking Zoloft, which is an anti-depressant, I don't feel great, but I do feel better. Just for all you people who are unsure, go to your doctor and find out. I still have a long road ahead of me, but at least I am on the right path for getting better. Once again thank you, you most likely saved my life.
Inuyasha4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 04:51 PM   #19
TheWizard
Retired Administrator

Wow thats so cool.

Thanks everyone

Josh

Old February 16th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #20
///James///
VT Lover

///James///'s Forum Picture

Me in a nut shell!

James Has Left this place for a while...or for good. Time will tell.
Please visit StapleClock a new site for teens, run by teens.

leep, Little Three Eyes
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21.../icon276fu.gifhttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21...mikeyav3xq.gifhttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21...s/icon87if.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21...eypokey7ad.gif

The Crush is kinda over, but still the diary lives on, and is really interesing! GO TO IT!
The Gay Bar Diary only on VT!!

I LOVE RUDI SOOO MUCH

Feelin Gay??
||||||||||||||||||
///James/// is offline   Reply With Quote