ADD is just kids being kids, nothing more 6 13.95%
ADD is made up by doctors and the FDA for money 2 4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 13th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #1
Hauptmann Kauffman
Sex Guru

Hauptmann Kauffman's Forum Picture

Default ADD Question

Isnt ADD WAY too overdiagnosed nowadays? I mean for gods sake, is every kid who cant focus sick? Isnt it a little fast to make quick diagnoses? It seems like alot of people are being quickly diagnosed and pumped full of drugs. When my mom was a kid, she had similar problems(AS DO ALL KIDS!!!), and she got through it just fine with some family motivation. Thoughts? Opinions?
Hauptmann Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #2
Atonement
Daily Adventurer

Atonement's Forum Picture

Name: Addison
Default Re: ADD Question

I think it can be over diagnosed, but I also believe it is a serious problem people must deal with. but ye, I do believe it can be blamed for some basic problems.

All you need is love.
Atonement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Maverick
Retired Administrator

Maverick's Forum Picture

I agree it is over diagnosed. Too many doctors go with the quick fix (and profitable) solution to 'ADD' with just prescribing medication without really taking a full evaluation of what the root of the problem is.

Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Falk 'Ace' Flyer
Nice Poster

Falk 'Ace' Flyer's Forum Picture

It seems like normal behaviour to me. I have no clue what it started out as, but I had like 7 out of 10 symptoms on one site. Honestly, is it abnormal to get bored with something that bores you easily? Is it abnormal to stay intently focused on something that's a lot of fun for you? Is it abnormal to not pay attention to someone when your busy doing something else?

Why does a chicken coop only have two doors?

Looking for a good time? Of course you are! Wanna make $10 the easy way? Me too! So take a gander at my awesome blog and enjoy yourself, champ; you deserve it!
Falk 'Ace' Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #5
Hauptmann Kauffman
Sex Guru

Hauptmann Kauffman's Forum Picture

lol, of course not, thats why i see it as stupid, almost a fake disease
Hauptmann Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #6
Junky
Member+

Name: John

My brother has Adhd its not a joke. If he doesn't get his medicine he will be so hyperactive communication with him is impossible. Im a very tolerant person, but he does have a problem, when he doesn't take his medication and we make him stay still he will almost start shaking and stuff.
Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #7
MoveAlong
Legendary Member

Yeah, I think ADHD has been wayy over-diagnosed. Although it is a real problem, and many people face it, I don't think as many have it as doctors think.
MoveAlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #8
iJack
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
I agree it is over diagnosed. Too many doctors go with the quick fix (and profitable) solution to 'ADD' with just prescribing medication without really taking a full evaluation of what the root of the problem is.
Exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by falkflyer View Post
It seems like normal behaviour to me. I have no clue what it started out as, but I had like 7 out of 10 symptoms on one site. Honestly, is it abnormal to get bored with something that bores you easily? Is it abnormal to stay intently focused on something that's a lot of fun for you? Is it abnormal to not pay attention to someone when your busy doing something else?
Lol, true
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junky View Post
My brother has Adhd its not a joke. If he doesn't get his medicine he will be so hyperactive communication with him is impossible. Im a very tolerant person, but he does have a problem, when he doesn't take his medication and we make him stay still he will almost start shaking and stuff.
he is an exapmle of one of the poeple who need it.
iJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 04:47 AM   #9
phillip.meow

eh i have add but im only have one f idk y people think that people arnt smart like i have all b and a and one f and i may have the lost grades in the class but that has not stoped me i sloved the worlds hardest pizule and got 1,000 of it
phillip.meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #10
Simonsays

ADD now-a-days is in 1 out of every 2 children. It's nothing huge, I refused to believe I had it for years, but have now come to the conclusion that I have ADD.

My parents also didn't believe me when I said, I think I have ADD, they said no you don't. I think they were ashamed (not sure).
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:56 AM   #11
Project Delta
Banned

Project Delta's Forum Picture

Name: Aaron

Just to give my two cents
Recently i heard , from the mouth of a professor, that all of the behaviour such as supposed mental disabilities are just normal human behaviour. But because the minority has this different type of behaviour it is considered as a problem or a syndrone. Adhd is mainly hyperactivity, which i supposedly have, and i agree i am hyper and the medication helps. But just think of this, when there is a problem with a brain, they have created names and symptons that are similar but there is not a problem. This is just humans acting in a different way to others. Every so called problem has been thought up a name, like OCD is just people acting differently. In my view they are not problems just differences in behaviour. These problems havent been around for all of humankind because we are the ones that created the problems. And therefore they try to fix something that isnt broken.
Silkonia OUT.
Project Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:43 AM   #12
PrincessSarey
Banned

ADHD is real. ADHD really does make my life really hard and it effects me in many areas.
It is over diagnosed, but over here in the UK, it's actually quite hard to get diagnosed apparently.
But in the U.S, I've heard it is really over diagnosed.
PrincessSarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM   #13
Project Delta
Banned

Lol i'm in the UK too ANd i got diagnosed at the ripe old age of 6 been taking ritalin since until about 3 mon ths ago changed to concerta... concerta's side effects suck. BUt they do help.
But like i said IT IS REAL but its just a different way of acting and is therefore not a problem
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #14
bluesky190
Banned

how much it cost?
bluesky190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #15
Project Delta
Banned

How much does what cost?
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #16
MuseDae

Name: Elizabeth

Last year, I actually wrote a paper for my english class about how ADHD is overdiagnosed, but it is a REAL disorder.
MuseDae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #17
dantheman5000
Nice Poster

dantheman5000's Forum Picture

Name: Daniel

do you think add/adhd is hereditary?

DanthemMan is always there to help so just beckon my name and ill be there! or you can just pm me lmbo.

"Couldn't we just be quiet and eat chocolate together?" --Lindy Metz
dantheman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #18
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

I do believe it is over-diagnosed but at the same time, there's another issue at hand: the field of psychiatry typically is focused around pumping the patient up with enough medication, in other words, there's a pretty big focus on drug therapy. There's also the issue that most parents don't want to think that their child is ill, especially not mentally ill since that tends to be more stigmatized, so they want a quick, easy and effective treatment. We've become a society where we generally expect that if we're ill, then the doctor can pull out their scribe and give us some pills to pop.

Part of it being over-diagnosed also has to do with the greater attention ADHD has gotten and it's at a point where if someone is acting hyper, not focusing, etc... then many people would point and say "look, he's got ADHD, quick, go to the psychiatrist to get the proper pills!". With that said, I do think it is a real, legit disorder, just it's one that's over-diagnosed.

The common example for how society, specifically the media can take some blame is when you look at Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). When the movies The Three Faces of Eve (1957) and Sybil (1976) came out, the amount of DID cases sky-rocketed and in about 10 years or less, there were more cases than there were in the last 30-40+ years (before those movies came out, DID was unheard of). I don't remember off-hand the actual numbers but I think it was about 30,000 to 40,000 cases in those 10 years alone.

So point is, yes I do think it's over-diagnosed, yes I think that people diagnosed with it are slapped with medications and yes I do think that much of society has to do with it being so over-diagnosed.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:18 AM   #19
Project Delta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman5000 View Post
Yes it is hereditary
Old October 1st, 2009, 11:42 PM   #20
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman5000 View Post
To an extent. I believe it may have a genetic component but like all animal and human behavior, there's an enormous influence on the environment. I don't think it's completely void of any environmental influence simply because from what I've read and studied, all behavior is a combination of both and I don't see why ADHD would be any different.

For example, there's some environmental stimulus, pick whatever one you want within reason. The body is going to in some way respond to it whether it be by producing certain molecules, activating certain neurochemical pathways or whatever else. The point is though, that the environment has just influenced one's behavior so it is both biological and environmental. In terms of genetics, the environment certainly can influence one's development, both when one is still a fetus and when one is a child.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote