Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #1
chargersfan
Member
 
Name: Lukas
Join Date: November 21, 2010
Location: California
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Was I misdiagnosed with Aspergers?

At the age of 6, I was diagnosed with Aspergers, but part of me thinks that I was misdiagnosed, and I'll explain my thinking behind it. And I want to hear any opinions on my thinking and whether you agree with it or not.

I'm not your typical teen I'm not even your typical Aspie, I don't really care about having a routine, I have routines, but nothing weird that any other person doesn't have (Example being I get up, shower, put on deodorant, get dressed, eat breakfast, brush my teeth, go to school) I tend to do this every morning in that order, but If I were to have to change it I wouldn't really care, I just find it the most conventional way of getting myself ready, but If I found a better way, I would have no problem changing it to that. I'm not really anal about doing things at exact times, I just do stuff whenever I feel like it.

As far as dealing with people socially, I have my friends, I don't really like people, I find most people in high school to be generally immature and stupid. I can hold a conversation with 95% of people, and I know what people like and don't like me, I know when to talk and not talk, and while I'm not a very emotional person, I don't consider myself empathetic, I've talked 2 people out of suicide before. I also feel like I relate to older kids better, and even adults to some degree. I also can pick up on social cues, like if people care about what I'm talking about, and how to fit in with the dynamic of a group. And I very rarely talk about my interests, because I'm not even sure what my interests are right now. I will also note that I am very well spoken, We had to do a mock trial for English last year, and my teacher that year, who has been teaching for 15 years, said that I was the best spoken student she had ever had in her teaching career for the mock trail. I won the case for my side.

I have had "obsessions" but nothing has been my obsession for my whole life, and I feel like I am knowledgeable in many different fields, I enjoy reading Science Articles, I love History, I like Anime, I like to exercise (Although that got screwed up because of my recent shoulder surgery) I like to watch professional sports, and I like to talk on the internet to some degree. My life right now is generally consumed with homework however. But point being is I have gone through phases were I was obsessed with something, but I don't think I have ever had an obsession last more than a year. I have gone back to obsessions before, but I end up moving on after a month or so.

From what I've read, Aspergers teens are supposed to be innocent and naive, but I'm the exact opposite, I knew stuff about sex when I was 10, I knew what masturbation was before I had even masturbated, I was never innocent, in fact I'm probably the opposite, I was considered the "Class Clown" or "Bad Influence" in elementary School. But I have a personality that very few people will get, I'm also told that I'm witty, which is not a trait of an Aspie.

Finally, I do have clumsiness to some extent, but more of a quirky kind of clumsiness, most people find it endearing. I have gotten a lot less clumsy since I was a little kid as well, but I'm pretty quirky, I'm also unassuming, but very much a critical thinker, Sometimes I'll just lay alone and go into deep thought, it can be about anything for the most part.


I also have complete control over my emotions, I never have melt downs, my friends and parents have even told me that I compose myself in tough situations even better than they do. I have only had like 1 melt down when I was like five.

The main reason they diagnosed me to begin with is because I was interested in numerical statistics, still find stats to be interesting, but also I'm not exactly that great at math, although I'm a Sophomore in Pre-Calculus, I have a C- and have to work really hard at math, when I can barely try and get an A in every other class, including AP Classes. Also because I was not fitting in well with other kids, and because I always acted serious, which is the complete opposite of my personality today.

Anyways I would like to hear thoughts on this, so please share your opinion if I was diagnosed properly or not! Thanks.

16/Gay

Feel free to hit me up.
chargersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Mojofilter
New Member
 
Mojofilter's Forum Picture
 
Name: Joe
Join Date: November 19, 2013
Gender: Male
Default Re: Was I misdiagnosed with Aspergers?

Well, I honestly think I have aspergers, and I share similar features with you, I have 2 good friends, and I totally get you with the obsessions. I've been obsessed with researching medications and how they work, brain chemicals, brain structure, etc. for a few years now...

But actually most people with aspergers are very intelligent, and have above average IQs.. reading your post I noticed that we both share similar personality traits and it might be that we both have aspergers...

Mojofilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 02:29 AM   #3
ksdnfkfr
Banned
 
Join Date: August 28, 2013
Gender: Undisclosed
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Was I misdiagnosed with Aspergers?

Autism comes in degrees.
Often a scale is used to show how much someone on the
autism side and how much on the neurotypical side.
So if you were to fill out some 200 question personality
trait quizzes, it might come out with something like
35% AS and 65% NT. But when you were 6 the AS percentage
might have been a lot higher.

The problem with symptomatology is people feel they have to fit
a certain bill of behavior. Some aspies go overboard with this and try
to attribute every quirk and tic they have to autism. Others can find themselves
saying well I do not have this that and the other stereotypical trait, so I
must not have it.

To me what you have is not as much of an issue as to how
it impacts your life. Since you feel that AS isn't having much
of an impact on your life, then having it or not should not
matter much and you can put it behind you. It is not like you
must carry some kind of label your whole life. Maybe you outgrew
it or you adapted very well or you never had it. Are you maybe looking
to have it removed from your medical records?

(I have somewhat severe autism and have put a lot of
study into it, in case you are wondering why I sound like
such a fugging professor)

Last edited by ksdnfkfr; December 3rd, 2013 at 02:38 AM.
ksdnfkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Tarannosaurus
Awesome Poster
 
Tarannosaurus's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 10, 2013
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: Was I misdiagnosed with Aspergers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargersfan View Post
The main reason they diagnosed me to begin with is because I was interested in numerical statistics
That's far too little to base a diagnosis on.
I think 6 years is way too young to be diagnosed with something anyway. You hear about loads of young children and toddlers being diagnosed with all sorts of things, but how can they possibly tell at that age? It's best to wait until the child is a little older. As the others said, there are varying degrees of autism, some of my friends have it really mildly and you hardly notice the difference while it's more severe in one of my relatives. If I were you I'd disregard that diagnosis and try and get another one done. You're much older now, and probably completely different to the person you were then. Another thing, from your post I didn't see any of the quirks or problems that I've read are common, or that people I know with Aspergers share.


H&A mod
If you have a question don't hesitate to PM me or email me at [email protected]
Tarannosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #5
Katiya
Nice Poster
 
Katiya's Forum Picture
 
Name: Anonymous ...no really...
Join Date: September 27, 2013
Location: The Neverlands
Gender: Female
Default Re: Was I misdiagnosed with Aspergers?

Lol you are so not an aspie! Seriously I've seen them, they are way weird. O.o This "just on the high end" is bulshit. People just can't stand that some one is smarter than them so they have to traump all over the people by labeling them with a mental illness. That follows them for life and ruins their social life in school. I find it just plain wrong.

People are different! If everyone was the same damn cookie the world be boring as hell! It's basicly if they can't bullshit you into the 'normal obidient no mind of their own' box then they lable you with an MI to screw stuff up for you. People can't stand smart people who have a mind of their own. They want the ole american brainwash that follows msm for life advice.

And its not just aspie diagnosis. I'm not kidding, a normal person could set own for a MI evaluation and be diagnosed with something. Every last one of use would be considered MI if we took the tests. But I think asburgers is way too over used!

Im abnormally smart and have a mind of my own and im pasionate about things but I'm not an aspie. I'm just a person who does not like to associate them selves with the average american, because I find most Americans uh well stupid. No offense :/

That's what I gots ta say bout that.

~I do not try to give advice as much as I do just point out facts as I have found people like to make their own decisions in life, not be told what one is best to make~


Please excuse my typos. I'm usually on my phone and it has issues.
Katiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #6
Katiya
Nice Poster
 
Katiya's Forum Picture
 
Name: Anonymous ...no really...
Join Date: September 27, 2013
Location: The Neverlands
Gender: Female
Default Re: Was I misdiagnosed with Aspergers?

I personally would have those records expunged unless you get some good out of them for say school aid or what ever. But that's just me. I would not want a lable following me for life. Because I know people who got shoved into that box and its ruined their social life in school BC teachers treat them like their stupid when they aren't.

And for those peeps out there that say "You only want them expunged because your scared of being labeled or having it used against you." Well yeah dumb ass, why else would you want records expunged? If its false, you don't want to be labeled or have it used against you. If you really had it you wouldn't care. So if you do want it removed don't let anyone BS you about that or being "in denial". They just want you in a box somewhere where they can control you. You know you better than anyone else ever will!

~I do not try to give advice as much as I do just point out facts as I have found people like to make their own decisions in life, not be told what one is best to make~


Please excuse my typos. I'm usually on my phone and it has issues.
Katiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 03:36 AM   #7
ksdnfkfr
Banned
 
Join Date: August 28, 2013
Gender: Undisclosed
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Was I misdiagnosed with Aspergers?

Autism does not usually come out in text the way it does irl.
Also it is not fair to stereotype all aspies as "weird".
And I seriously doubt that psychologists label children as aspies
because they feel threatened by that child's intelligence.
Early diagnosis is important - but it needs to be followed up.
One dx at the age of six with no follow up is useless.
If that was all I had I would want it expunged.
But this idea that asperger's dx is some kind of control conspiracy
sounds way too far fetched to me. Considering there are so many aspies
with high level jobs at places like NASA and Microsoft.
And Asperger's is not limited to higher intelligence and not all aspies
have higher intelligence. There are many misconceptions when it comes
to autism along with lots of assuming and stereotyping.
ksdnfkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Paraxiom
neophyte ietsist
 
Paraxiom's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 25, 2013
Location: Ireland
Age: 21
Gender: Neutral
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Was I misdiagnosed with Aspergers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargersfan View Post
At the age of 6, I was diagnosed with Aspergers, but part of me thinks that I was misdiagnosed, and I'll explain my thinking behind it. And I want to hear any opinions on my thinking and whether you agree with it or not.

I'm not your typical teen I'm not even your typical Aspie, I don't really care about having a routine, I have routines, but nothing weird that any other person doesn't have (Example being I get up, shower, put on deodorant, get dressed, eat breakfast, brush my teeth, go to school) I tend to do this every morning in that order, but If I were to have to change it I wouldn't really care, I just find it the most conventional way of getting myself ready, but If I found a better way, I would have no problem changing it to that. I'm not really anal about doing things at exact times, I just do stuff whenever I feel like it.

As far as dealing with people socially, I have my friends, I don't really like people, I find most people in high school to be generally immature and stupid. I can hold a conversation with 95% of people, and I know what people like and don't like me, I know when to talk and not talk, and while I'm not a very emotional person, I don't consider myself empathetic, I've talked 2 people out of suicide before. I also feel like I relate to older kids better, and even adults to some degree. I also can pick up on social cues, like if people care about what I'm talking about, and how to fit in with the dynamic of a group. And I very rarely talk about my interests, because I'm not even sure what my interests are right now. I will also note that I am very well spoken, We had to do a mock trial for English last year, and my teacher that year, who has been teaching for 15 years, said that I was the best spoken student she had ever had in her teaching career for the mock trail. I won the case for my side.

I have had "obsessions" but nothing has been my obsession for my whole life, and I feel like I am knowledgeable in many different fields, I enjoy reading Science Articles, I love History, I like Anime, I like to exercise (Although that got screwed up because of my recent shoulder surgery) I like to watch professional sports, and I like to talk on the internet to some degree. My life right now is generally consumed with homework however. But point being is I have gone through phases were I was obsessed with something, but I don't think I have ever had an obsession last more than a year. I have gone back to obsessions before, but I end up moving on after a month or so.

From what I've read, Aspergers teens are supposed to be innocent and naive, but I'm the exact opposite, I knew stuff about sex when I was 10, I knew what masturbation was before I had even masturbated, I was never innocent, in fact I'm probably the opposite, I was considered the "Class Clown" or "Bad Influence" in elementary School. But I have a personality that very few people will get, I'm also told that I'm witty, which is not a trait of an Aspie.

Finally, I do have clumsiness to some extent, but more of a quirky kind of clumsiness, most people find it endearing. I have gotten a lot less clumsy since I was a little kid as well, but I'm pretty quirky, I'm also unassuming, but very much a critical thinker, Sometimes I'll just lay alone and go into deep thought, it can be about anything for the most part.


I also have complete control over my emotions, I never have melt downs, my friends and parents have even told me that I compose myself in tough situations even better than they do. I have only had like 1 melt down when I was like five.

The main reason they diagnosed me to begin with is because I was interested in numerical statistics, still find stats to be interesting, but also I'm not exactly that great at math, although I'm a Sophomore in Pre-Calculus, I have a C- and have to work really hard at math, when I can barely try and get an A in every other class, including AP Classes. Also because I was not fitting in well with other kids, and because I always acted serious, which is the complete opposite of my personality today.

Anyways I would like to hear thoughts on this, so please share your opinion if I was diagnosed properly or not! Thanks.

I don't know if you were not diagnosed properly, but there's a lot there that I can relate to actually. And I think I could have a mild version of Asperger's , but I'm not sure.
Wether you were diagnosed correctly or not, and if I am right about myself, that does not matter in the end. It makes us different than most other people, and I think difference should be celebrated.
*hugs*
Paraxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #9
Katiya
Nice Poster
 
Katiya's Forum Picture
 
Name: Anonymous ...no really...
Join Date: September 27, 2013
Location: The Neverlands
Gender: Female
Default Re: Was I misdiagnosed with Aspergers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
Autism does not usually come out in text the way it does irl.
Also it is not fair to stereotype all aspies as "weird".
And I seriously doubt that psychologists label children as aspies
because they feeleatened by that child's intelligence.
Early diagnis is important - but it needs to be followed up.
One dx at the age of six with no follow up is useless.
If that was all I had I would want it expunged.
But this idea that asperger's dx is some kind of control conspiracy
sounds way too far fetched to me. Considering there are so many aspies
with high level jobs at places like NASA and Microsoft.
And Asperger's is not limited to higher intelligence and not all aspies
have higher intelligence. There are many misconceptions when it comes
to autism along with lots of assuming and stereotyping.
I should have clarified that i wasnt speaking on a national level about this. We have a very corrupt mental health system where I live. And I didn't mean the child's intelegance was threatening, here they have labeled many very smart young adults in my school system as aspies and are then not allowed normal classes or activities. Same goes for other DX like bipolar. And you MUST be medicated to continue attending.

Also its not just aspies either. They give any diagnosis they can. However the smarter kids generaly get aspie despite lack of other criteria.
The school works with the mental health office and screens anyone they can rope in. They are mainly in the market for selling drugs. The school mandates that if the child has a diagnosis he/she MUST be medicated to attend school.

And sorry if my weird comment came out stereotypical. I personally believe that anyone diagnosed with aspie that is not "weird" ir other ways apears very normal, should not be diagnosed with it. It seams these days if you arent exactly like the "normal" idiot off the block you must have something wrong with you. Society doesn't seam to like diversity. I can not speak for others but where I live this and other DX are much over used in quite a reckless manor.

And I will agree it is very much stereotyped and wrongfully perceived, that is why I hate it so, the diagnosis that is. I think if the person identifies with the DX then they certainly may have it. But I do believe people are smart enough to know if they actually have it or another DX or not. Sense when do we need a psychiatrist to tell us who we are and what we should do? If you aren't hurting anyone who cares if you like something different if you are happy?

My main point is I don't believe in labels for 'almost perfect' people that just don't fit the msm cookie everyone looks up to. And it is all too often used for control sadly, local organizations mostly but I'm sure the government is in on it if drug companies are as there'smoney to be made. However iI'm sure we don't have a national conspiracy here, but it is taken advantage of.

And I know if my area is like this, others are too. And my suspicions were confirmed while watching news from GB and a Russian channel, which also broadcasts in English if you want a look. I can't write down all the details but other country's get news we don't get, and many schools and MHOs are payed by drug companies for all the people they put on drugs for things like ADHD. The most common one nationally.

I have no issues with anyone who has any DX. The DX doesn't change them for me, but I find it sad so many take advantage of the DX as a means of profit or control over the person, even if its just peers.

~I do not try to give advice as much as I do just point out facts as I have found people like to make their own decisions in life, not be told what one is best to make~


Please excuse my typos. I'm usually on my phone and it has issues.
Katiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #10
ksdnfkfr
Banned
 
Join Date: August 28, 2013
Gender: Undisclosed
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Was I misdiagnosed with Aspergers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiya View Post
I should have clarified that i wasnt speaking on a national level about this. We have a very corrupt mental health system where I live. And I didn't mean the child's intelegance was threatening, here they have labeled many very smart young adults in my school system as aspies and are then not allowed normal classes or activities. Same goes for other DX like bipolar. And you MUST be medicated to continue attending.

Also its not just aspies either. They give any diagnosis they can. However the smarter kids generaly get aspie despite lack of other criteria.
The school works with the mental health office and screens anyone they can rope in. They are mainly in the market for selling drugs. The school mandates that if the child has a diagnosis he/she MUST be medicated to attend school.

And sorry if my weird comment came out stereotypical. I personally believe that anyone diagnosed with aspie that is not "weird" ir other ways apears very normal, should not be diagnosed with it. It seams these days if you arent exactly like the "normal" idiot off the block you must have something wrong with you. Society doesn't seam to like diversity. I can not speak for others but where I live this and other DX are much over used in quite a reckless manor.

And I will agree it is very much stereotyped and wrongfully perceived, that is why I hate it so, the diagnosis that is. I think if the person identifies with the DX then they certainly may have it. But I do believe people are smart enough to know if they actually have it or another DX or not. Sense when do we need a psychiatrist to tell us who we are and what we should do? If you aren't hurting anyone who cares if you like something different if you are happy?

My main point is I don't believe in labels for 'almost perfect' people that just don't fit the msm cookie everyone looks up to. And it is all too often used for control sadly, local organizations mostly but I'm sure the government is in on it if drug companies are as there'smoney to be made. However iI'm sure we don't have a national conspiracy here, but it is taken advantage of.

And I know if my area is like this, others are too. And my suspicions were confirmed while watching news from GB and a Russian channel, which also broadcasts in English if you want a look. I can't write down all the details but other country's get news we don't get, and many schools and MHOs are payed by drug companies for all the people they put on drugs for things like ADHD. The most common one nationally.

I have no issues with anyone who has any DX. The DX doesn't change them for me, but I find it sad so many take advantage of the DX as a means of profit or control over the person, even if its just peers.
Thank you for explaining that to me so well.
In America it seems from what I read on an autism forum
that it is difficult to get an AS diagnosis, so things sound a
lot different where you are from. And I agree that a lot of DX
has to do with money and doctors here love to write out prescriptions too.
And I understand what you meant by "weird" now.
The person is supposed to have autism but does not act autistic in any way.
And we are weird, strange, different, quirky - however you want to describe it.
I just took it the wrong way. Thank you for the info.
ksdnfkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #11
Katiya
Nice Poster
 
Katiya's Forum Picture
 
Name: Anonymous ...no really...
Join Date: September 27, 2013
Location: The Neverlands
Gender: Female
Default Re: Was I misdiagnosed with Aspergers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
Thank you for explaining that to me so well.
In America it seems from what I read on an autism forum
that it is difficult to get an AS diagnosis, so things sound a
lot different where you are from. And I agree that a lot of DX
has to do with money and doctors here love to write out prescriptions too.
And I understand what you meant by "weird" now.
The person is supposed to have autism but does not act autistic in any way.
And we are weird, strange, different, quirky - however you want to describe it.
I just took it the wrong way. Thank you for the info.
No problem! I should have been more clear about what I meant. I just assumed everyone got it. Which was a dumb assumption but I was lazy

Yeah, I didn't mean weird as a stereotype just a quick way to describe the symptoms. CCouldn'tthink of another word at the time. It always baffles me people wwith aspie DX that seam totally normal. And then I look at "normal" people and think wow he/she looks way more autistic and they aren't on the spectrum.
I often wonder if these who were diagnosed as kids might not have had something else like ADHD or ODD ext... That can be basicly grown out of rather than aspie that 'stays for life'. I've seen plenty of 35 yr old aspies and it shows. They have jobs and lives but you can still tell.

To me it seams were so focused on outing everyone in some sort of box, if you do this you go here, if you dont do that you go over there. I believe in just accepting people for who they are unless its affecting them or others in a negative way. I swear if my local organization had its way the whole country would be neatly divided into all types of 'crazy' With a tiny segment of normal cconsisting of them selves Lol.

These differences are looked at too much like a defect. Rather than the fact they have been present in humans sense we evolved. Only recently have we tryed to lable the different personality's or ttendancys. They have always been there and we've evolved quite sucessfuly, almost too much so.
So I don't think its all the hype they play its up to be. And we know aspies have played a huge part in successful innovation and I believe aspies have always existed as well even the more severe forms.

I find it sad that people with a DX are so often looked at as defective when most of them are in fact normal by evolutionary standards. This is the problem I have with labels. The idea that people are somehow defective. Its not being called black that offends black people, its the association of "stupid or less worthy" that goes with the liable that is hated. White people don't mind if they are called white, because here no one has asociated that with some kind of problem.
Its the same inequalituy issue with DX. Its kinda like say in BC u have blond hair you must work as a maid BC you are less intelligent than others. Because your BP you can't work here BCur crazy. BC your aspie you can not attend normal classes because your a spaz.


Any how I'm sure this is long again. I can't see more than a few lines so I might be saying the same things twice lol. So hard to type on a phone...

~I do not try to give advice as much as I do just point out facts as I have found people like to make their own decisions in life, not be told what one is best to make~


Please excuse my typos. I'm usually on my phone and it has issues.
Katiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2017
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2017, VirtualTeen.org