Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Jman437
Member
 
Jman437's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 22, 2013
Gender: Male
Default bringing me down...

I talked before about majoring in Computer Science. I like that course very much, but I don't think I can do it, I mean, there are too many people putting me down saying "I can't do it", "It's really hard", "Very few make it through", and that brings me down so much(the first one, the last two scare the hell out of me). I'm sick of feeling insecure, fearful and depressed because of these stupid comments! Why can't people be nicer and not this stupid?!

And because of that, I have serious doubts about my future: I don't even know if I can finish college, I don't know what will my future be...
Jman437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #2
Heagert
New Member
 
Heagert's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 23, 2013
Location: France
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Default Re: bringing me down...

I'll say one simple thing : always follow your dreams. They are not you, they have no idea what you're capable of. You're the only person who know what do to, and what is good for you. Don't let them ruin your future. If you want to do that, if you feel that it makes you happy, so do that. And if it's too difficult after, you could say that you tried, and that's what matters. And we don't care what people can say. It's YOUR life.

***

If you only read books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.
Heagert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #3
Mynick
Awesome Poster
 
Mynick's Forum Picture
 
Name: Eduardo
Join Date: July 9, 2012
Location: When i'm not in Gallifrey i'm in Portugal
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: bringing me down...

You can finish college. Computer Science is difficult, they are trying to scare you.
Do not pay any attention to what they say, they are not worth it.

We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?
Mynick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Jman437
Member
 
Jman437's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 22, 2013
Gender: Male
Default Re: bringing me down...

I try not to give a damn, but I can't do it, but dammit, I profoundly hate when people say stuff like "It's not for everyone", "It ain't gonna be easy", it successfully scares the hell outta me. I know I'm a pussy and need to change, but hell, why do people say these things?!
Jman437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #5
Mynick
Awesome Poster
 
Mynick's Forum Picture
 
Name: Eduardo
Join Date: July 9, 2012
Location: When i'm not in Gallifrey i'm in Portugal
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: bringing me down...

They say those thing because they most be bored with their own life. Society is stupid.

We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?
Mynick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Living For Love
Moderator
 
Living For Love's Forum Picture
 
Name: Tiago
Join Date: August 22, 2013
Location: Portugal
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: bringing me down...

I also have that problem. I want to study Medicine when I go to university, but some people encourage me and say that I'll do it, others just say that it is very hard and that not everyone can go through it. I don't really know if I can follow that course. I think about it every single day and that leaves me so, so depressed. I guess that if you really focus and ignore the people around you, you'll do it. They know nothing about your abilities, and probably they are teasing you just because you're in that course and you might be able to finish it. My advice is that you concentrate and show them that you are capable of doing it! Show all those ignorant guys you're the man! And when you finish college, make sure you drown them on their own jealousity. Wish you luck.


Tiago | ♂ | 20 | PM | VM | Ask Me | Lonely Hearts Club

Help and Advice Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Jman437
Member
 
Jman437's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 22, 2013
Gender: Male
Default Re: bringing me down...

Thanks to society, now I can't even play a video game without being insecure about my choices... And to add insult to injury, now I can't relax and think of other stuff, can't concentrate properly and I'm one step away from a freaking neurosis! Godammit, why am I like this?!
Jman437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #8
Versae
Junior Member+
 
Versae's Forum Picture
 
Name: Angel Stalker
Join Date: August 15, 2013
Location: Philippines
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: bringing me down...

Believe in what you can do, not what others think you should do. They're not you.

The Girl with the Darkest Secrets
http://ynahayawan.tumblr.com/ This is my Tumblrblog.
Please visit and even follow. It holds the real me.

A heartless person once cared too much
Versae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Poisonberry
Member
 
Poisonberry's Forum Picture
 
Name: Madison
Join Date: August 31, 2013
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Default Re: bringing me down...

Weather you think you can or think you can't you're right.

And society doesn't have any control over you that you don't give it it. Be who you want to be, do what you want to do. If anyone tells you otherwise tell them to live their own life.
Poisonberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:20 AM   #10
Jman437
Member
 
Jman437's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 22, 2013
Gender: Male
Default Re: bringing me down...

I don't know if I can make it, I mean, I tried learning programming at codecademy(a website), but I feel like I may have a learning disability because I can't solve a Javascript problem about a "rock, paper, scissors", and, for what I heard, it is the easiest thing in programming...

I may as well kill myself, I mean, I won't have a future if I don't make it through college... I'll be a cashier, earning 500 euros a month, still living at my parents house...

Last edited by Jman437; September 1st, 2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: some stuff I forgot...
Jman437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Poisonberry
Member
 
Poisonberry's Forum Picture
 
Name: Madison
Join Date: August 31, 2013
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Default Re: bringing me down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman437 View Post
I don't know if I can make it, I mean, I tried learning programming at codecademy(a website), but I feel like I may have a learning disability because I can't solve a Javascript problem about a "rock, paper, scissors", and, for what I heard, it is the easiest thing in programming...

I may as well kill myself, I mean, I won't have a future if I don't make it through college... I'll be a cashier, earning 500 euros a month, still living at my parents house...
Not everything is the same amount of easy for everyone. I don't even know what javascript is so see you're way ahead of me. I'm sure if you try you can do it, but if you give up then it will never happen.

I'm really new here and don't know how the rules work but personally I think it's very irresponsible to say that you're going to kill yourself. Why would you tell us that? All we can do is feel helpless or bad that we can't help you. If you really feel that way you should look at getting professional help.
Poisonberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Jman437
Member
 
Jman437's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 22, 2013
Gender: Male
Default Re: bringing me down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisonberry View Post
Not everything is the same amount of easy for everyone. I don't even know what javascript is so see you're way ahead of me. I'm sure if you try you can do it, but if you give up then it will never happen.

I'm really new here and don't know how the rules work but personally I think it's very irresponsible to say that you're going to kill yourself. Why would you tell us that? All we can do is feel helpless or bad that we can't help you. If you really feel that way you should look at getting professional help.
I know it's irresponsible, it's just that my dad always forced me to go to college because it's "the way to go", and with the economic crisis we are facing, it's the most viable way... I want to be financially independent, not some slob living in his parents' house...
Jman437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:40 PM   #13
Living For Love
Moderator
 
Living For Love's Forum Picture
 
Name: Tiago
Join Date: August 22, 2013
Location: Portugal
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: bringing me down...

Imagine the amount of people that would give everything to be in university like you, to be taking a degree that would give them the chance to have a stable career in the future. My brother is studying Computer Engeneering in the university and it's been pretty hard for him too, but he never gives up. My parents put a lot of pressure on him so that he as good grades, and although sometimes his exams don't go well, he just keeps going and tries to do better next time. He can be quite annoying sometimes, and he's been through a lot of problems during his life, but he's the most persistent person I've ever met, and I really do like him because of that. If you think in a positive way, I'm sure you will finish university and achieve the financal independence we all teenagers want so much.


Tiago | ♂ | 20 | PM | VM | Ask Me | Lonely Hearts Club

Help and Advice Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:48 PM   #14
Poisonberry
Member
 
Poisonberry's Forum Picture
 
Name: Madison
Join Date: August 31, 2013
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Default Re: bringing me down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman437 View Post
I know it's irresponsible, it's just that my dad always forced me to go to college because it's "the way to go", and with the economic crisis we are facing, it's the most viable way... I want to be financially independent, not some slob living in his parents' house...
Did you not understand what I wrote? Or are you truly that self-centered?

It's messed up to tell people you're going to kill yourself. Period. Your reason why just makes it worse. Many people have really serious problems and feel like suicide is the only way out. I tried and I just can't make "I want to be financially independent" into a problem bad enough to kill yourself over. Maybe it's time to get into therapy.
Poisonberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:17 AM   #15
Jman437
Member
 
Jman437's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 22, 2013
Gender: Male
Default Re: bringing me down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisonberry View Post
Did you not understand what I wrote? Or are you truly that self-centered?

It's messed up to tell people you're going to kill yourself. Period. Your reason why just makes it worse. Many people have really serious problems and feel like suicide is the only way out. I tried and I just can't make "I want to be financially independent" into a problem bad enough to kill yourself over. Maybe it's time to get into therapy.
And there's another problem... My parents won't take me to therapy because "it's normal to feel anxious"... I tried to convince them but no, they just sent me to psychologists, but I need a psychiatrist, not a freaking psychologist! I have GAD, not that anxiety someone has before a date or a very important event! I'm always anxious, for fuck's sake! I get anxious for every little thing! I can't get my mind off of problems because of it!!! I've been feeling like this since I was a child!!! So you see, I'm not the problem, my parents are, thanks to them, I'm the the anxious, fearful and neurotic person on the planet! And the worst part is they don't realize it will send me on a downward spiral if I don't get a grip on them! They won't even let me take anxiolytics!

it's bad not to be financially independent, it's really bad(there are worse things, like having cancer) it's an expectation for a normal citizen for christ's sake! Getting a college degree, a house, a car, a wife and kids. THESE are things a normal citizen has! I don't want to be a slob living at my parent's house!!! Birds are supposed to leave the nest, not live there until they die!
Jman437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:01 PM   #16
Living For Love
Moderator
 
Living For Love's Forum Picture
 
Name: Tiago
Join Date: August 22, 2013
Location: Portugal
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: bringing me down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman437 View Post
And there's another problem... My parents won't take me to therapy because "it's normal to feel anxious"... I tried to convince them but no, they just sent me to psychologists, but I need a psychiatrist, not a freaking psychologist! I have GAD, not that anxiety someone has before a date or a very important event! I'm always anxious, for fuck's sake! I get anxious for every little thing! I can't get my mind off of problems because of it!!! I've been feeling like this since I was a child!!! So you see, I'm not the problem, my parents are, thanks to them, I'm the the anxious, fearful and neurotic person on the planet! And the worst part is they don't realize it will send me on a downward spiral if I don't get a grip on them! They won't even let me take anxiolytics!

it's bad not to be financially independent, it's really bad(there are worse things, like having cancer) it's an expectation for a normal citizen for christ's sake! Getting a college degree, a house, a car, a wife and kids. THESE are things a normal citizen has! I don't want to be a slob living at my parent's house!!! Birds are supposed to leave the nest, not live there until they die!

Well, but killing yourself won't solve the problem, right? If your parents are the problem, stop having those negative thoughts about not finishing university and talk to them, explain the situation. If they understand it, good. If they don't, maybe the only way you have to get some medicines is behind their back. I don't know your age, but judging for your avatar I guess you're old enough to make your own decisions and assume the responsabilities of your actions. I don't want to be rude, but I suggest you deal with your problems like a grown up guy you are and stop thinking you're not gonna make it, that only worsens the situation.


Tiago | ♂ | 20 | PM | VM | Ask Me | Lonely Hearts Club

Help and Advice Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:43 PM   #17
Fraser
Junior Member
 
Fraser's Forum Picture
 
Name: Fraser
Join Date: August 31, 2013
Location: London
Gender: Male
Default Re: bringing me down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman437 View Post
I talked before about majoring in Computer Science. I like that course very much, but I don't think I can do it, I mean, there are too many people putting me down saying "I can't do it", "It's really hard", "Very few make it through", and that brings me down so much(the first one, the last two scare the hell out of me). I'm sick of feeling insecure, fearful and depressed because of these stupid comments! Why can't people be nicer and not this stupid?!

And because of that, I have serious doubts about my future: I don't even know if I can finish college, I don't know what will my future be...
I encounter a lot of things at school that a lot of other people say "that's really hard" "that's really complicated" and when I try it, I find it super easy. The best thing to remember: those people are not you. Not everyone finds the same things hard and the same things easy.

would you like to know me better?

17, Bi, and stuff.

Christian (Catholic) who believes in God
I support gay rights and equality.
Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 06:47 PM   #18
Jman437
Member
 
Jman437's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 22, 2013
Gender: Male
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
I encounter a lot of things at school that a lot of other people say "that's really hard" "that's really complicated" and when I try it, I find it super easy. The best thing to remember: those people are not you. Not everyone finds the same things hard and the same things easy.
Me too, you know. It happens a lot, actually, but I'm constantly thinking that one day this will stop happening... The problem is not being hard, the problem is if I can't make it. And I can't even get my mind off of stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanair View Post
Well, but killing yourself won't solve the problem, right? If your parents are the problem, stop having those negative thoughts about not finishing university and talk to them, explain the situation. If they understand it, good. If they don't, maybe the only way you have to get some medicines is behind their back. I don't know your age, but judging for your avatar I guess you're old enough to make your own decisions and assume the responsabilities of your actions. I don't want to be rude, but I suggest you deal with your problems like a grown up guy you are and stop thinking you're not gonna make it, that only worsens the situation.
I know that killing myself won't solve the problem, but what will I do if I don't make it?
I'm not the guy in the image, that's Jesse Pinkman, from Breaking Bad, I'm a fan of this series. I recently turned 18, I have no idea how to deal with life. I was given a plethora of advice by my parents, my godfather and lots of other people, but I don't know how to follow them without feeling awkward, ashamed and fearful of everything falling apart... And I know I'm old enough not to be a pussy, but I have absolutely no idea how I'm going to deal with this...

Last edited by Harley Quinn; September 5th, 2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: merging
Jman437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #19
Poisonberry
Member
 
Poisonberry's Forum Picture
 
Name: Madison
Join Date: August 31, 2013
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Default Re: bringing me down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman437 View Post
And there's another problem... My parents won't take me to therapy because "it's normal to feel anxious"... I tried to convince them but no, they just sent me to psychologists, but I need a psychiatrist, not a freaking psychologist! I have GAD, not that anxiety someone has before a date or a very important event! I'm always anxious, for fuck's sake! I get anxious for every little thing! I can't get my mind off of problems because of it!!! I've been feeling like this since I was a child!!! So you see, I'm not the problem, my parents are, thanks to them, I'm the the anxious, fearful and neurotic person on the planet! And the worst part is they don't realize it will send me on a downward spiral if I don't get a grip on them! They won't even let me take anxiolytics!

it's bad not to be financially independent, it's really bad(there are worse things, like having cancer) it's an expectation for a normal citizen for christ's sake! Getting a college degree, a house, a car, a wife and kids. THESE are things a normal citizen has! I don't want to be a slob living at my parent's house!!! Birds are supposed to leave the nest, not live there until they die!
Well, as you said you're 18, so you don't even need them to get help. Don't know how to get help? Well, you say you're going to kill yourself, so call a suicide hotline, they should be able to get you sorted out with the proper help.

There comes a time, and 18 is as good as any, to take charge of your life and take responsibility for who you are. I'm sure your environment has had an effect on you, who hasn't been affected by their life up until now? But how long are you going to lean on that and blame someone else for what only YOU can change?

Lots of people that never even go to university are financially independent, there are a million ways to do it that don't have anything to do with computer science. I know how to use the internet and that's about it, and yet I'm not the least bit worried about being financially independent. We all have different options available to us, I'm sure yours include more than computer science. So I say, get some help getting a handle on your life and stop being a victim, it's obviously not making you happy, it's only giving you an excuse not to succeed.
Poisonberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #20
Jman437
Member
 
Jman437's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 22, 2013
Gender: Male
Default Re: bringing me down...

I understand, but a college degree is the best thing to be financially independent, because in this economy, only the smartest get to be financially independent(and with a good salary). When I said I wanted to be financially independent, I also implied that I wanted to make good cash, because the higher the education, the higher and better the job opportunities...
Jman437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2017
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2017, VirtualTeen.org