Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old July 31st, 2013, 05:55 PM   #1
These.scars.are.me.

Question what exactly?

My friend said she has been diagnosed with bipolar and i totally believe her. she has been depressed for a long time but very occasionally she has good days. she keeps mentioning the bipolar and i just wanted to get a grasp of exactly what it is. I am in a bad way at the moment and i dont like to tell her anything bad because she seems so...fragile right now. is that the right way to go about it, just not telling her? or should i tell her more? i'm just worried i'll make her worse because she has hospitalised herself once this year and i think once before that
These.scars.are.me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #2
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!
Default Re: what exactly?

Bi Polar Disorder is a mood disorder caused by a change in the excitability in certain brain cells that control "Mood energy". It is entirely biologically based.

Depending on her age, BPD can look different. In children and teens, those affected are easily agitated and emotionally over reactive, usually with little provocation, and the result is far disproportional to whatever the event was. There's an unreasonableness to them, as if they're misunderstanding and misjudging the events outside themselves, and it is very difficult for them to regain their equilibrium. In young kids and teens, it is not the classic "mood swings" so many mischaracterize BPD as.

In adulthood (biologically speaking 21+), the illness evolves into longer periods of either hyper manic activity with psychotic thoughts, progressing into a period of relative calm and "Normalcy" and then moving into deep, dark depression characterized by immobility and an inability to function. It is called 'Bi Polar' (2 poles) b/c the illness is characterized by the hyper manic on the one hand, and the deep depression on the other.

The good news (for both kids/teens and adults) is that BPD is well controlled on medication, it's one of the mental illnesses really understood and effectively treated.

With regards to your friend, I think it's good you recognize that right now, the priority should be on her recovery and that means it might not be the best time to burden her with your own troubles...at least until she's stabilized on her meds., and you can ask her what she can tolerate from you. If you find that you're really in a bad way, consider finding a therapist yourself, it might be helpful.
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote