Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old July 20th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #1
Disasterology

Disasterology's Forum Picture

Name: Denise
Default Hair Pulling

Well I've been pulling out my hair out for a while. At first I thought it was no big deal, but now I can see that I am missing hair, it isn't visible to other people besides myself because I'm looking straight into the mirror. I just suddenly start pulling out strands of hair for quite some time, then immediately regret doing so, but I can't help it. I also pick at my skin a lot and also cannot stop doing that. I put this here because it's very similar to the disorder Trichotillomania which is described as a type of OCD. I was wondering if anyone else is in this same situation, and if so have you recovered from it?

"The hardest part of living is just taking breaths to stay"
Disasterology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #2
AyVannah

AyVannah's Forum Picture

Name: Ash
Default Re: Hair Pulling

I have the same situation, actually. What you have, I believe, is that disorder. You can use things like stress balls and things like that to help. I understand that this is very hard to stop and I still have issues sometimes. But it can be stopped!

~Ashy-chan~
Just keep smiling...It will be okay...
Bisexual and proud

Trip forward, fall into a big fluffy pillow, and whatever you do, DO NOT SUFFOCATE!
AyVannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Disasterology

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyVannah View Post
I have the same situation, actually. What you have, I believe, is that disorder. You can use things like stress balls and things like that to help. I understand that this is very hard to stop and I still have issues sometimes. But it can be stopped!
I used to selfharm a lot too, but for some reason I find this a lot scarier. I mean I wear bracelets and longsleeves to hide the scars, but I can't always be wearing a hat or something else to cover bald spots if it does get worse. I'll look into those stress balls though thanks! ^-^

Old July 20th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #4
AyVannah

AyVannah's Forum Picture

Urf, I know x.x good thing is, the hair grows back! ....slowly, but it will grow back! Keep strong.
Also, if you continue having issues with the hair pulling/skin picking for an extended period of time, seek help from a counselor. That's what I did and it helped a great deal. She told me about the stress balls and talked about trying to remove unnecessary stressors from your life. Take about 30minutes to an hour every day to yourself and relax with calming music. Just clear your mind. If you don't have that long, a couple minutes helps too just now remembering this!

~Ashy-chan~
Bisexual and proud

Trip forward, fall into a big fluffy pillow, and whatever you do, DO NOT SUFFOCATE!
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #5
Disasterology

That's a big relieve! I'll try talking about it with my school counselor. Thanks a lot for the advice! Like a lot!!

Old July 20th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #6
AyVannah

AyVannah's Forum Picture

Great! I am so glad I can help. Good luck!!

~Ashy-chan~
Bisexual and proud

Old July 21st, 2013, 08:43 AM   #7
Gazmo
Junior Member+

Name: Grace

i was in the same position, i self harmed and pulled out my hair, but don't worry, its not the end of the world, stress balls are good, and you will recover , like i have
Gazmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:21 PM   #8
Spook
Awesome Poster

Spook's Forum Picture

Name: Caitlin

This is Trichotillomania, it's a disease where you unconsciously pull your hair out and yes, it is a form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I know a handful of people who do this, and, being severe OCD myself, I can understand where you're coming from. I found that what helps my friend a lot of the time is wearing your hair up. Also, you can try wearing hats to reduce the urge/give a barrier. A big thing is to try to distract yourself- I pick at my cuticles until the bleed (gross I know) and that is a habit very similar to this, so I find it happens more often when I'm sitting down relaxing. Do active things! Stress ball is a great idea too. If it's still bothering you and you can't get anything to stop it, try talking to a therapist about it. This is not a very uncommon thing, they should be able to help and trust me; they help a lot. Hope I helped you.

Also, if you begin to develop bald spots; a great option is a wig. Not for cosmetic purposes per se; but because the synthetic fibers in the wig aren't attached to your scalp and don't have that same satisfying "pop" of the hair (in my friend's words) and there's no urge to keep pulling it.

Last edited by Spook; August 22nd, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote