Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 18th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #1
Malcolm Tucker
VT Lover

Malcolm Tucker's Forum Picture

Name: Mal
Post Home cures for some common illnesses.

Home cures for some common illnesses.

• Warts

The intractable wart or verruca was eliminated by soaking in a rich purple solution of a few crystals of potassium permanganate until stained brown and covering with a plaster for a fortnight. When the plaster was removed, the dead wart or verruca lifted away, leaving a small crater of pink, healthy flesh.

• Swollen joints

Painful inflammations and arthritic swellings were relieved by Epsom salts, magnesium sulphate, a tablespoon in a bath, or a teaspoon in a pint of hot water used as a hot poultice and even drunk in acute cases.

• Small cuts and burns

Comfrey leaves, known with good reason as knitbone ,were boiled and used as a poultice or eaten in brown bread to promote rapid healing of cuts, burns, sprains and even broken bones.
  • Eliminating the signs of aging
Vinegar was another cure-all, particularly cider vinegar, used a hair conditioner, a bleach for age-spots, a cure for insect stings and bites or mixed with olive oil for sunburn.
  • Other home cures included ingredients cobbled together from the larder

Vitamin E and olive oil on its own, massaged into the skin, prevented stretch marks in pregnancy.
Shaken in equal quantities with raspberry vinegar (made by soaking raspberries in vinegar) and trickled down the throat, it cured persistent coughs, and was especially useful for small children, allowing them to sleep and get well.
Sage leaves were boiled in water with sugar to make a syrup for sore throats, an astingent lotion or hair tonic and the popular saying was, “Why grow old when there is sage in the garden?” Modern research has shown more than a grain of truth in this as it has a stimulating effect on the hormone system.
Celery, too, was eaten to help menopausal problems with garlic to detoxify the blood.
Boiled onions were eaten for chest complaints and parsley or barley water for cystitis (cranberry juice also works for this).
Thyme was boiled to make a mouthwash that cured bleeding gums. The active ingredient, thymol, is reproduced by pharmaceutical companies for the same purpose.
Alum was used in an astringent wash for mouth ulcers and “toothbrushes” were made from well-chewed ends of oak twigs, the tannin from them firming gums, whilst cloves and bay leaves were chewed to ease toothache.
A few sandwiches of Feverfew leaves, eaten over a month on brown bread to avoid blistering the delicate membranes of the mouth, soon cured migraines: permanently.
Bicarbonate of soda, mixed to a paste with water was applied to burns and rashes, or drunk in milk, one teaspoon to pint to stop allergic reactions.
Fennel seeds were chewed for indigestion or boiled to make “gripewater” to soothe babies’ colic.
Simple salt, Sodium chloride, was used in a weak solution to bathe and cleanse wounds, soak burns and cure heat-stroke.
Plums and pears were used for slimming and strawberries to whiten the teeth.
But the most useful fruit of all was the English apple, proving the old adage, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”, as it is now recommended without restraint for its powerful antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and flavanoids that act against infection and cancers and help to balance blood salt and sugar and keep down blood pressure.
Note: All of the above material is mine, i.e. please do not copy without my permission thanks, dotcrazy 2007. Updated Michael E 2008

"[...] I mean the guy is an epic fuck-up. Hes so dense that light bends around him."

Last edited by Malcolm Tucker; March 30th, 2008 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Additions. :)
Malcolm Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #2
RaisingSand
Awesome Poster

Name: Lauren.
Default Re: Home cures for some common illnesses.

Again, awesome! Kinda ashamed of myself for not taking the time to write something like this.

~~ LAUREN ~~

A word is just a word, until you mean what you say. And love isn't love until you give it away ... shine a light, send it on.
RaisingSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #3
Malcolm Tucker
VT Lover

Malcolm Tucker's Forum Picture

Name: Mal

Thanks, I adapted it from an old article I had on the computer from months ago

"[...] I mean the guy is an epic fuck-up. Hes so dense that light bends around him."

Last edited by Malcolm Tucker; December 18th, 2007 at 02:54 PM.
Malcolm Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #4
jakieboi

cool you can do the same thing for warts and verruca is stick banna skin to the place where it is and the same thingshould happen (it should just lift off)
hope u like walking around with banna in ur sox lol

sick of trying...
------tired of crying,
yeah im smiling,
------but inside im...
dying
jakieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Mzor203
VT Lover

Name: Rex

Duct tape apparently also works if you put it on a wart. It is supposed to make the immune system try to get the tape and the wart off. Bit less messy than banana.
Mzor203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #6
ShatteredWings
Under the Stars

ShatteredWings's Forum Picture

Name: Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmex View Post
Home cures for some common illnesses.

• Eliminating the signs of aging
Vinegar was another cure-all, particularly cider vinegar, used a hair conditioner, a bleach for age-spots, a cure for insect stings and bites or mixed with olive oil for sunburn.
who here is afraid of ageing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire_Flames View Post
VT turned me lesbo acid wankers wtf.
~Laura Was Here~
Retired Gmod
ShatteredWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 08:08 PM   #7
bagel
Junior Member+

bagel's Forum Picture

Name: Katie

Lol I was thinking the same thing. "Why would you put a remedy for aging on a teen forum?"

In all reality, home remedies pretty much never work. My grandmother has loads of books on supposed home "cures" for pretty much everything, but it's all a load of crap. Maybe one in a hundred will actually be based in fact and work, but the rest of it is made-up crap used to put in books so they can scam old people out of their money. If you have something wrong you're better off not to waste your time and just go to a doctor.
bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:49 AM   #8
drpepper21
Unregistered

Name: nik

well, back when they didnt have doctors, they really thought this stuff was true.

and who the fuck just has a few crystals of potassium pomegranate lying around?
drpepper21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #9
Capote

Capote's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpepper21 View Post
well, back when they didnt have doctors, they really thought this stuff was true.

and who the fuck just has a few crystals of potassium pomegranate lying around?
I was about to ask! Good tips though! Thanks

University of California
Capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #10
diamond jetstream
Member++

diamond jetstream's Forum Picture

Name: jesse

i heard u can freeze warts off or you can pee on pretty much anything because the acid reacts and kills watever u have eg bites or coldsores

why wont jesus answer my text messages...because it is geting late and he borrowed my ipod.

im sixteen and i have blue eyes and blonde hair
my name is jesse and im bi my friends consider me to be funny so if you want to be friends pm me and ill add you on facebook
diamond jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #11
Project Delta
Banned

Project Delta's Forum Picture

Name: Aaron

A bit of bacon fat on a boil is supposed to make it come to a head in a few days - a week
Project Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #12
joeyboy
Banned

Name: joeyboy

Hello!
This is Joeyboy!
Im new in this site!
I hope I can have more friends here!
In all reality, home remedies pretty much never work. My grandmother has loads of books on supposed home "cures" for pretty much everything, but it's all a load of crap. Maybe one in a hundred will actually be based in fact and work, but the rest of it is made-up crap used to put in books so they can scam old people out of their money.
Just keep on posting Guys!
Its nice to have you all Guys!
Thanks!
Good Luck!...
joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #13
Dorsum Oppel
Great Poster

Dorsum Oppel's Forum Picture

Name: Frog-queen Neknekti

Home remedies work when based in science, not goat milk and pixie magic.

You have to be careful with comfrey, because if you put it on a wound thats too deep, it'll heal the top layer but leave the tissue underneath still messed up, and lead to all kinds of trouble. So only on teeny scratches.

Lets leave the sound of the heat for the sound of the rain
Its easy to sleep when it wets my brain
But restless is causeless and I cannot hide
So much of my mind that it spills outside

THE PARABLES
Dorsum Oppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #14
Spook
Awesome Poster

Spook's Forum Picture

Name: Caitlin

Very interesting and useful facts! Great job!

Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #15
Hunter Lily
Junior Member+

Name: hunter

Haha this is good because I eat an apple every day I especially like the adding to the saying :
"An apple a day keeps the doctor away, if the doctor is cute, screw the fruit!"
Sadly, my doctor is an old man. but whatever

Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.
Hunter Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 04:26 AM   #16
Jmihas
Member++

Jmihas's Forum Picture

Name: Jay

There is more cures.
Jmihas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #17
EAT ME
Banned

Time to eat more plums and peaches ^^
And Strawberrys
EAT ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:34 AM   #18
eggy101
Member+

eggy101's Forum Picture

Name: Jake

cool interesting stick
eggy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2015, 01:35 AM   #19
mcloete

mcloete's Forum Picture

Name: mcloete

Ive heard that one can use 2000mg Vitamin C when you have a common cold
mcloete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 08:04 AM   #20
Tifany

Name: Tifany

Here are some tips and home remedies I have found really effective for hiccups, hope yo'll find them useful
1. Sweeten the hiccups. Overloading the nerve endings in the mouth with a sweet sensation may do the trick. Have a teaspoonful of sugar, and if you can, place the sugar on the back of the tongue, where "sour" is tasted. This way, the sugar overload will pack the most punch.

2. Play "hear no evil." Some doctors recommend that you put your fingers in your ears to stop hiccups. The branches of the vagus nerve also reach into the auditory system, and by stimulating the nerve endings there, the vagus nerve goes into action. But be gentle, and don't stick your fingers too far into your ears.

3. Get scared silly. Having someone surprise you can overwhelm the vagus nerve and put an end to hiccups.

4. Drink water. Swallowing water interrupts the hiccupping cycle, which can quiet the nerves. Gargling with water may also have the same effect.

5. Pull on your tongue. Sticking out your tongue and yanking on it may stop hiccups.

6. Tickle it away. Tickling the soft palate of the roof of your mouth with a cotton swab may do the trick. Or, if you're the type who enjoys getting tickled, have someone find your ticklish spots.

7. Hold your breath. Hold your nose and close your mouth--the way you would when you're ready to jump into a pool--for as long as you can or until you sense that the hiccups are gone. if you're wondering how to get rid of hiccups, must try this one ( always works for me btw)

8. Bag those hiccups. The old standby, breathing into a paper bag, is believed to work on the same principle as the breath-holding method. Both increase the amount of carbon dioxide in the bloodstream, and the body becomes preoccupied with getting rid of it and forgets about the hiccups.

9. Take an antacid. This method may be more effective if you choose one that contains magnesium, since the mineral tends to decrease irritation and quiet the nerves. One or two tablets should take care of hiccups.

10. Eat slower. If you eat fast, you are probably not chewing food thoroughly, which seems to cause hiccups. And rapid-fire feeding causes air to get trapped between pieces of food, which may set off the vagus nerve. Chew deliberately and take smaller sips of drinks to keep your air intake to a minimum.

11. Don't pig out. Overloading the stomach with food is another cause of hiccups. Some experts theorize that hiccups are your body's way of telling you to quit eating so your digestive system has time to process all the food you've forced down your gullet.

12. Avoid spicy foods. Some spices can irritate the lining of the esophagus and stomach. At the same time, they can also cause acid from the stomach to leak into the esophagus. The extra acid can bring on hiccups.

13. Drink only in moderation. Like spices, alcoholic beverages can cause a simultaneous irritation of the esophagus and the stomach. And over time, excessive drinking can damage the lining of the food pipe. Parties, like the kind some college students attend, where people are sometimes dared to consume a lot of alcohol as quickly as possible, can lead to acute ingestion. The digestive system not only becomes irritated by the alcohol, but big gulps of it cause the esophagus to expand rapidly, resulting in hiccups.
Tifany is offline   Reply With Quote