Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > The Psychiatric Ward > Cutting and Self Harm
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Old February 17th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #1
struggling

Name: jess
Default once a cutter always a cutter

i read somewhere that " once a cutter always a cutter. you may stop cutting but you will never stop missing it"

that really hit me
is this how i'm going to be at 25 or 30
struggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Atonement
Daily Adventurer

Atonement's Forum Picture

Name: Addison
Default Re: once a cutter always a cutter

I think this statement is true for some. Not all.

Let me be clear, I don't "miss" self-harm. Are there times where I want to do it? Yes. But I'm not wanting to welcome it back like and old friend. I want to resist it because it's a bitch of a "friend".

You will some day get to a point in your life when you won't think about self-harm for a long period of time and be proud that it's left your mind. I'm going on 3 years and 9 months with self-harm, but it still crosses my mind when times get rough. However, I am no longer a cutter because I have made a concrete commitment to myself that I'm done with it.

All you need is love.
Atonement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #3
xarvon1412

xarvon1412's Forum Picture

Name: Aaron

I really hope not...I don't want to live with this all my life. I think that means that you'll always understand what it means to be a cutter, not that you'll always cut. I can't see myself being fifty (if I get that far) and still cutting and bruising myself. However I guess I don't know myself very well because when I was eight I said I would never cut...

"When we cut, we're in control - we make our own pain and we can stop it whenever we want. Physical pain relieves mental anguish. For a brief moment, the pain of cutting is the only thing in the cutter's mind, and when that stops and the other comes back, it is weaker."
- Shelley Stoehr.

"It can't be terrible forever."
- Meekakitty
xarvon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Perfect_Insanity
Junior Member+

Perfect_Insanity's Forum Picture

Name: Katrina

I guess it means you always remember. I don't think it means you always want to relapse. It will probably get less painful as time goes by (I can't vouch for this, though). I hope it will get better, at least.

My happiest memories have no place in the past; they are those I have yet to create.
- Ellen Hopkins

Feel free to message me on skype if you need any help or anything.
Perfect_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #5
georgiamay
Awesome Poster

georgiamay's Forum Picture

Name: Georgia

I really hate the word "cutter." It makes me cringe. It makes it sound like a fad, as though you're defining yourself by that. If someone says "I'm a cutter," it sounds like they're saying "This is who I am," when it's not who you are, it's what you do. You do it to cope with things etc, it doesn't define you, you are not a "cutter." I know this is a bit of a stretch, but I think that this word makes self harm sound less serious, as though it's just a fad and it doesn't really matter. I just don't like it.

Anyway, back on topic.
I think there will be times when you want to do it, even if you haven't self harmed in years, but that doesn't mean it'll still be a problem for you. I still get urges now, but I'm better at dealing with the urges and I know how to get through them. Hopefully, the urges will become less and less intense until they're just a small thought at the back of my mind in stressful situations. Personally, I don't think it'll always be a problem for me, but I think that at least for the next few years I'll have urges every now and then and will have to resist, but that doesn't bother me because I know that as long as I'm still okay I'll be able to.
georgiamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #6
xXl0sth0peXx
Administrator

xXl0sth0peXx's Forum Picture

Name: Val

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiamay View Post
I really hate the word "cutter." It makes me cringe. It makes it sound like a fad, as though you're defining yourself by that. If someone says "I'm a cutter," it sounds like they're saying "This is who I am," when it's not who you are, it's what you do. You do it to cope with things etc, it doesn't define you, you are not a "cutter." I know this is a bit of a stretch, but I think that this word makes self harm sound less serious, as though it's just a fad and it doesn't really matter. I just don't like it.

Anyway, back on topic.
I think there will be times when you want to do it, even if you haven't self harmed in years, but that doesn't mean it'll still be a problem for you. I still get urges now, but I'm better at dealing with the urges and I know how to get through them. Hopefully, the urges will become less and less intense until they're just a small thought at the back of my mind in stressful situations. Personally, I don't think it'll always be a problem for me, but I think that at least for the next few years I'll have urges every now and then and will have to resist, but that doesn't bother me because I know that as long as I'm still okay I'll be able to.
This whole post x49440342. Couldn't agree more.

Just like with anything, you will likely want to do it for a while. Whether it's self harm or alcohol or drugs or purging or anything, honestly. As Georgia perfectly said, it's about controlling the urges and dealing with them in the right ways. I agree also that it won't always be a problem. I might remember about it forever, but remembering it and doing it are different.

So. No. It's not 'once a self harmer always a self harmer'. Maybe think of it more as: "Once a self harmer, always a warrior'.

Feel free to contact me: xXl0sth0peXx@virtualteen.org|PM me
Feel free to visit: Ask Me|Diary|My Tumblr

"Perfect. Nice and bright outside. Wow, I'm so rococo x.X" - Bethany
~Steven
- Ali
xXl0sth0peXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:38 PM   #7
VictoriaGotaSecret
Great Poster

VictoriaGotaSecret's Forum Picture

Name: Victoria/Tori

I saw this as a picture on Tumblr, its true in the sense that once you start that you will never be the same again even after you stop and the want to cut may haunt you forever

16/tg-mtf/bi. came out Saturday May 27, 2011

If you think of where people stand, in the light on earth...think of my world as a black hole, no light, just a vacuum that sucks me deeper and deeper every second from the point of conception until death. That is my life and just like a black hole, its not possible to escape.

pm or vm me
VictoriaGotaSecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #8
Mrladner

Name: Riley

I first cut myself when I was around 12 or 13. I had been cutting for a few months when my mom found out. The fact that I didn't like my life and that I cut my self had hurt my mom so much. I went to counseling and all that stuff but it never really helped. I still wanted to cut myself, but I resisted. I didn't want to hurt my mom anymore than I already had. Today, 2 and a half years later, I still feel the urge to harm myself. I dont really miss it, but I will never forget doing.
Mrladner is offline   Reply With Quote