Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 27th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #61
Dutchstranger18
Banned

Name: Stefan
Default Re: The All-Purpose Football (Soccer) Thread

Do you American guys follow the european competitons close? And is it live to see on television like here or do you have to see it on the internet?
Dutchstranger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 07:40 AM   #62
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Emerald Dream's Forum Picture

Name: Allison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstranger18 View Post
Do you American guys follow the european competitons close? And is it live to see on television like here or do you have to see it on the internet?
The Premier League has a contract with NBC here in the US - we can see all games either on TV or streaming live online. We can see some (but not all) Champions League games as well. The rest of the leagues in Europe - maybe one or two games apiece each week on a separate channel dedicated to just that.
Emerald Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 07:43 AM   #63
Dutchstranger18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Dream View Post
The Premier League has a contract with NBC here in the US - we can see all games either on TV or streaming live online. We can see some (but not all) Champions League games as well. The rest of the leagues in Europe - maybe one or two games apiece each week on a separate channel dedicated to just that.
Ah more then I expected. what About the Dutch League?
Old January 27th, 2015, 07:45 AM   #64
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstranger18 View Post
Ah more then I expected. what About the Dutch League?
It's unusual to see many games from the Dutch league here. Maybe one random matchup each week - on a channel that only shows soccer/football.
Old January 27th, 2015, 07:49 AM   #65
Dutchstranger18
Banned

Quote:
It's unusual to see many games from the Dutch league here. Maybe one random matchup each week - on a channel that only shows soccer/football.
The most famous match was played last weekend: Ajax-Feyenoord. Its like Barca-Real or Glasgow-Celtic. You probably heard of those teams
Old January 27th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #66
lonely_gay_boy
Junior Member+

lonely_gay_boy's Forum Picture

Name: junior

I played on sunday for my new team. And well they were oretty much selfish the first 3 games, but now they learned to trust me and give me the ball more often and i already have 7 goals in 4 games (:
lonely_gay_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 07:18 PM   #67
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

Name: Stephen

I am seriously pissed off about the Newcastle Jets situation. This season they have won only one game out of 15 with a record breaking 7-0 loss in the last game. The coach has no control and has no respect with the players. The supporters have taken the players side, along with myself, and have been calling for the sacking of the incompetent coach for months. However, the owner Nathan Tinkler has taken the coach's side and has sacked 3 staff members including assistant coach's and 5 senior players including team legend Joel Griffiths. This has caused great outrage, and to add fuel to the already deplorable situation, Tinkler is in massive debt and Football Federation Australia (FFA) are planning to strip the licence of the team from Tinkler if he debts aren't paid by Jan 31. A lot of people want the FFA to take ownership back and hopefully we'll get our team back from the arrogant prick Tinkler. Here is the latest from today.....

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1227202632364

A-League: Dundee United could make Newcastle Jets move if Nathan Tinkler bows out
Barry Toohey
The Daily Telegraph
January 30, 2015 6:43PM

Right now, Tinkler is the owner of the crisis-torn A-League club. The question is: For how long?

An FFA-imposed deadline on Tinkler to meet significant financial and operational obligations to players and creditors, rumoured to run into millions of dollars if you include tax debts, expires on Saturday.

If he fails to comply with the FFA demands, the game’s governing body will have little choice than to begin the process of stripping the former billionaire mining magnate of his A-League licence.

Enter Dundee United.

Late last year, the Scottish club’s chairman Stephen Thompson held talks with the Jets about a possible sale and inspected facilities in Newcastle before Tinkler backflipped early last month and took the club off the market.

Tinkler has suggested since then their interest was a myth.

But it’s understood that while Dundee baulked at the $5 million asking price Tinkler put on the club at the time, they remain on the periphery, watching current developments closely.

The feeling is if he doesn’t meet the deadline as is expected, Tinkler will have been preparing himself for a battle in court.

At the same time, the FFA has been busy compiling a dossier of alleged breaches of his licence agreement.

If it’s not messy enough already, it may get worse before it gets better.

In a week where the football focus should have been squarely on the Socceroos and their bid for Asian Cup glory, the Jets have proven to be an embarrassing sideshow for the FFA.

The sensational sacking on Wednesday night of five senior players – captain Kew Jaliens, ex-Socceroos David Carney and Joel Giffiths, midfielder Billy Celeski and defender Adrian Madashi – following the same day dismissal of three coaching staff members including assistant Clayton Zane, came after last weekend’s 7-0 drubbing in Adelaide.

It is understood coach Phil Stubbins and Celeski had a heated exchange at half-time in the dressingroom and later after the game.

Less than 48 hours later, the playing group held an early morning meeting in Newcastle and moved to overthrow the coach, declaring they could no longer play under him.

But rather than fire his coach, Tinkler went after his senior players, wielding the axe in a day of bloodletting that has left the entire football fraternity stunned.

Former player and coaching staff member, Michael Bridges, who escaped Tinkler’s wrath, became another casualty when he resigned over the club’s handling of the whole affair.

“The recent communication between playing staff, coaches and management has been unfortunate,” the respected Bridges said.

“In my opinion, the resulting sackings were not handled in the correct manner.

“My family and I continue to be enormously grateful to the Jets for the opportunities in the community that my role has provided me.

“In my heart I hope that this is not my last role with the club and the football community of Newcastle but for now, I think this decision is what is best for myself, my family and the club.”

Meanwhile, Stubbins is attempting to pick up the pieces with a savagely depleted squad and a furious supporter base who is sick of the turmoil and baying for some blood of its own.

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~
~Jessi should have been here~
Gumleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #68
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

@Gumleaf -- Didn't the same thing happen to another A-League team? So many troubles that they were kicked out of the league and pretty much forced to disband? I am pretty sure I've read almost the same story before, a few years ago.

(I would have quoted, but I didn't want to address the whole post)
Old January 30th, 2015, 07:36 PM   #69
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

Quote:
@Gumleaf -- Didn't the same thing happen to another A-League team? So many troubles that they were kicked out of the league and pretty much forced to disband? I am pretty sure I've read almost the same story before, a few years ago.

(I would have quoted, but I didn't want to address the whole post)
It happened with Gold Coast United under similar circumstances. They ended up being disbanded as you said. The final straw in that case was when owner Clive Palmer plastered his demands to the FFA on the front of the player shirts. That won't happen with Newcastle, but something has to give. The revolt from the core supporters against the management is in full swing, and the next home game against Brisbane next weekend could be very interesting if nothing has changed in the interim. The last sentence in the article says it all, the supporters are after blood too, Tinkler's and Stubbins'!

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~
Old January 30th, 2015, 07:42 PM   #70
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumleaf View Post
It happened with Gold Coast United under similar circumstances.
Thank you. I recognized that name as soon as I read it again. Funny enough, I noticed it was missing in FM a few years ago and wondered why. That's how I knew they no longer existed.

Quote:
They ended up being disbanded as you said. The final straw in that case was when owner Clive Palmer plastered his demands to the FFA on the front of the player shirts.
BALLS, right there.

Quote:
That won't happen with Newcastle, but something has to give. The revolt from the core supporters against the management is in full swing, and the next home game against Brisbane next weekend could be very interesting if nothing has changed in the interim. The last sentence in the article says it all, the supporters are after blood too, Tinkler's and Stubbins'!
Is there any precedent there for forcing an owner out? If not, I can see him packing up and leaving town, maybe?
Old January 30th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #71
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

Quote:
Thank you. I recognized that name as soon as I read it again. Funny enough, I noticed it was missing in FM a few years ago and wondered why. That's how I knew they no longer existed.

BALLS, right there.

Is there any precedent there for forcing an owner out? If not, I can see him packing up and leaving town, maybe?
Well the FFA give out licence's for club owners. They purchase the licence from the FFA and then they have to adhere to regulations from the FFA as club owners including things such as their financial obligations amongst other things etc. The precedent was set a few years ago with Con Constantine, the original Newcastle Jets owner, who couldn't fulfil his financial obligations and therefore the FFA took control of the Jets and then Tinkler bought them out. So it can happen and hopefully will happen because things can't continue how they are.

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~
Old January 31st, 2015, 07:26 AM   #72
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

The AFC Asian Federation Cup final was played tonight in Sydney between Australia and South Korea. Australia won 2-1 after extra time with scores locked at 1-1 at full time.

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~
Old February 6th, 2015, 05:46 AM   #73
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

So 9 days after what the Newcastle media were referring to as bloodshed day after the mass sackings of assistant coaches, players and staff, the Newcastle Jets returned to the field tonight for their first game since that disaster last week. Apparently owner Nathan Tinkler has now fulfilled all the obligations of the FFA and it appears that he is going to remain owner of the club. But I think what happened in the last 60 seconds of the match summed up the last few weeks simply. At 1-1 in the last minute of injury time the Jets conceded an own goal to lose 2-1 to Brisbane Roar.

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~
Old May 18th, 2015, 04:15 AM   #74
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

So the Australian season has finished with the A-League grand final between Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC being played yesterday in Melbourne. For the record, the Victory won 3-0, but like usual in Australian football, something that happened off the pitch was again the talking point. This time, what happened with Football Federation Australian (FFA) Chairman, Frank Lowy, at the presentation made all the headlines. This video clip basically sums it up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V12MTfUjbFk

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~
Old May 20th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #75
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

So I posted in this thread in January about the Newcastle Jets situation. Well finally the months of issue upon issue has come to a head and something has happened explained in this article from the "Newcastle Herald" in the last few minutes.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/30...icence/?cs=303

FFA terminates licence after Tinkler moves to put Newcastle Jets in voluntary administration

By MATT CARR and AAP
May 20, 2015, 2:44 p.m.

NATHAN Tinkler has lost the Newcastle Jets after Football Federation Australia terminated the magnate's licence on Wednesday, hours after the former coal baron moved to put the club into voluntary administration.

The FFA issued a statement about 4.30pm on Wednesday announcing the termination of the licence held by Hunter Sports Group subsidiary Newcastle Jets Football Operations Pty Ltd - effective immediately.

"A new licence will be issued to a new entity owned and controlled by FFA," the statement said.

" A club from Newcastle will remain a member of the Hyundai A-League and current players of the Newcastle Jets will be offered contracts with the new entity."

The FFA cited "material breaches of the A-League licence ... in relation to non-payment of players and staff and an ongoing failure to meet standard operational requirements.

"FFA notes that HSG placed the Newcastle Jets into voluntary administration today, which in itself is an act of insolvency and a breach of the A-League licence conditions."

Chief executive David Gallop said the FFA had given the Hunter Sports Group subsidiary every opportunity to retain its ownership of the Jets.

“Newcastle needs a club operating in a stable environment with certainty of resources in order to be successful and competitive in the A-League and to properly represent the community," he said.

"HSG has proved to be incapable of meeting these requirements.

“FFA has taken this action to protect the interests of the football community in Newcastle and the Hunter Valley, and to safeguard the image and reputation of the A-League and its member clubs.

“HSG has behaved in a deplorable way towards the players and staff of the club in failing to meet basic obligations to pay wages.

"Anyone who takes control of a sporting club has an obligation to respect the people and the traditions of that club.

“HSG has failed miserably to in this regard. Today’s action to terminate the licence is the first step to restoring the proud traditions of football in Northern NSW.”

Gallop said talks would continue with "several parties" keen to buy the Hunter club.

“First of all, we will listen to all the key stakeholders in Newcastle and the Hunter Valley,” he said.

“This region has incredibly strong community values and any future ownership needs to have people at the heart of things.

“That’s a core value for football in Australia and something we are very committed to in relation to the A-League club in Newcastle

Earlier, Tinkler had moved to put the club in voluntary administration with debts of $2.7 million, saying a sale to Scottish club Dundee United for $5 million was imminent if the FFA allowed it.

‘‘I have been in negotiations with the FFA over the last few days and wasn’t able to get them to guarantee the licence,’’ Tinkler told News Corp on Wednesday.

‘‘And I haven’t been willing to pay wages unless they guaranteed that so I have put the club into administration just now.’’

Shaw Gidley issued a statement late on Wednesday afternoon confirming the company was appointed about 1pm and James Shaw would handle the matter.

"The administrator has had discussions with the FFA in relation to the license held by the company and is waiting to see what position the FFA takes," the company said in a statement.

"The administrator will be undertaking an urgent assessment of the financial position of the company and at this point in time only has limited information."

"The position will become clearer over the next 24 hours."

Tinkler said the sale to Dundee hinges on whether FFA, angered at Tinkler’s financial woes, revoke his ownership licence.

‘‘We have had an offer in for a couple of weeks from Dundee United,’’ Tinkler said.

‘‘That offer is well in excess of the debts of the club and I have asked the administrator to get that sale done and that will see everyone get paid.

"Then I can move on.

"The only risk to that is if the FFA decide to act in a morally bankrupt manner and take the licence and that presents a whole bunch of other issues.’’

Comment was being sought from the FFA.

The Jets’ off-field woes were compounded by a horror season on-field, winning just three games and with several players departing acrimoniously mid-season in a pay row with Tinkler.

with AAP

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~
Old June 1st, 2015, 04:16 PM   #76
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

The Women's World Cup is starting very soon. I plan on watching as much of it as I can.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 05:58 PM   #77
Gwen
Awesome Poster

Gwen's Forum Picture

Name: Gwen

I hope Germany goes well in groups, Norway is a pretty scary opponent to vs right away so they need to bring their A-game

"As the saying goes: Where there are mountains, there are Canadians." - Tyson
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2015, 06:02 PM   #78
Cygnus
Instant Crush

Cygnus's Forum Picture

Name: David

@Typhlosion revenge tastes fucking sweet.
Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 04:40 PM   #79
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Australia 1 - Brasil 0 was pretty unexpected, and amusing - at the women's World Cup today.
Old June 21st, 2015, 07:41 PM   #80
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

Quote:
Australia 1 - Brasil 0 was pretty unexpected, and amusing - at the women's World Cup today.
Yes, and as a bias Australian still an unexpected result. It's a great result and the furthest any Australian team (female or male) has progressed in a World Cup. Also great having a Newcastle girl in the team, Emily Van Egmond, captain of the Newcastle Jets W/League side.

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~