Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Old February 8th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Perfect_Insanity
Junior Member+

Perfect_Insanity's Forum Picture

Name: Katrina
Default Showing scars???

So.... I've been cutting for a while now. I usually wear a jacket or long sleeves, and everything's ok. (Well, except for the cutting thing) People usually don't notice, or if they do, don't push it.
I kinda want to show my scars for some reason, though. Mostly because I hate lying all the time and hiding. A sick part of me also wants to see how many people would be horrified.
So, I'm wondering, do any of you people ever show your scars openly? (People who used to or still cut) What kind of reactions do you get?
Another thing, do any of you live in religious neighborhoods? (sorry if I spelled that wrong) Because where I live almost everyone is Mormon, and I don't really know what'd they do... (Although probably act all sad and concerned, ugh) and my best friend is one.
Sorry for the long post.
Perfect_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Harley Quinn
Puddin'

Harley Quinn's Forum Picture

Name: Siobhan
Default Re: Showing scars???

I show my arms freely because I haven't cut there in years, and the scars are nearly faded - expect when it's cold and then they're purple as fuck. No one really cares, they either already knew or just don't really notice. When I did cut there, I never showed my arms. I hated it if someone saw. I don't live in a religious neighborhood, but I go to a Catholic school so. It's pretty 'common' in my school I guess. By common I don't mean everyone cuts, but there is a high percentage that do.

Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

[Emerald Dream] if I had a 30 minute orgasm, I would probably need to sleep for a week

~Stevennn

*Ali*
Harley Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #3
xarvon1412

xarvon1412's Forum Picture

Name: Aaron

I don't show people my cuts, but I do understand the feeling of wanting to show them to people. I never have, so I couldn't tell you what reactions to expect. Although, I get what you mean when you say you live in a Mormon type place. I live in Utah as well, and it sucks. I told one of my Mormon friends and their immediate response was that I had some kind of demon inside of me (no joke). So yeah, I mean if you know your friends well enough then tell them and show them. If you know for a fact how they'd react then there's no reason why you shouldn't I guess. Just my opinion :/

"When we cut, we're in control - we make our own pain and we can stop it whenever we want. Physical pain relieves mental anguish. For a brief moment, the pain of cutting is the only thing in the cutter's mind, and when that stops and the other comes back, it is weaker."
- Shelley Stoehr.

"It can't be terrible forever."
- Meekakitty
xarvon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Perfect_Insanity
Junior Member+

Perfect_Insanity's Forum Picture

Name: Katrina

Thanks for the replies You guys are awesome.

I actually laughed at loud when I read the demon thing (It does sound like something my young woman's leaders would say)

I think i'm going to first tell my bf and see what she says. Wish me luck, I guess.
Perfect_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #5
candabear17
Member+

candabear17's Forum Picture

Name: Candis

I don't really show them off but I don't try to hide them. I think wanting people to see is just wanting some attention. I don't think there is any thing wrong with that. It's a way of revealing your true self and your emotions to someone. Wanted people to see and be horrified is actually another way of self harm. It's trying to outcast yourself. More often than not though, it back fires. You usually just find someone else who's going through the same thing. Hope that helps to explain a little bit of the psychology behind it.

Straight
Heterochromic
PTSD

Gone but not forgotten.
~Jesse~ ~Corry~ ~Richard~ ~Cori~ ~Amy~
~Brian~ ~David~ ~William~ ~Teahl~ ~Janet~
candabear17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Mynick
Awesome Poster

Mynick's Forum Picture

Name: Eduardo

I really try to hide them as much as possible. I only show them to my best friend, but she used to cut too and she's helping me. She freak out a bit, beacause i had more 20 on my right arm.
I don't live in a religious neighborhood, therefore can't help you with that sorry.

We're all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?
Mynick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #7
evie_rose

Name: Evie

I'm different in this way. I don't really care most of the time. I don't show new cuts but cuts that are healing and scarred I show. It's really hot here so there's no chance I'm going to wear long sleeves!! People need to learn to understand and they might not even react that badly to it. And a lot of the time, people will notice, but won't ask questions because they'll think it's awkward.
evie_rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #8
Desuetude
---

Desuetude's Forum Picture

Name: Isaac

I don't if I can help it. I only have a couple of scars from a year or so ago on my arms and they've mostly faded now so I don't really get anything said about them. With most of my scars being on my thighs it's easier to keep them hidden (the reason I cut there) and I do everything I can to keep people from noticing (very paranoid about my scars): wear leggings under PE shorts, shorts when swimming, you get the picture. My friend saw ones that were lower down on my thighs and stated "I wish I had lines like that on my body" cause I told her I was born with perfectly parallel lines on my legs, oh how I nearly laughed.

But yeah, the only time I deliberately showed someone was one of my friends and that was only my arm ones which don't look that bad and she was pushing me. When my parents found out they tried to push my trousers up to see them and I screamed at them until they left me alone. Yeah that was probably the worst thing I've had happen. It's all up to you though, you can't always be sure how they're going to react but sometimes it's okay to take that chance. If you do show her/him then I suggest you bring them into it slowly, talk about it with them and then show your scars, don't end up freaking them out. Maybe tell them how you're feeling and why you self harm. I hope everything goes well whatever you decide to do.
Desuetude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #9
screamtobeheard
Great Poster

screamtobeheard's Forum Picture

Name: Amanda

I show my scars. I don't see the point in hiding them anymore. They're a part of who I am and if people don't want that part of me, then they don't deserve any part of me.

I live in a dorm that's mostly Roman Catholic and I worked in a Christian dominated restaurant. To be honest, most people just ignore scars completely rather than say anything about them. People have a fear of social awkwardness and just imagine how awkward they'd feel asking about your scars.
screamtobeheard is offline   Reply With Quote