Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:14 PM   #1
nonlineargoblin

Name: seth
Default How did you stop cutting

I stopped cutting myself about a week ago. It was a really stupid habit I picked up about 3 months or so ago, for me cutting myself was a way for me to let my anger out. I stopped it was simple for me all I had to do was take the knife out of my room and find a better way to cope with my anger. I know for some people its not that easy, sometimes it takes a lot of courage to stop cutting yourself and find a better way, but there comes a day when you finally find that courage and stop. If you found a way to stop cutting yourself post a comment on here and you might be able to help someone else quit.
nonlineargoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Whiskey-Lullaby

Default Re: How did you stop cutting

Snapping a Rubber band on my wrist helped me.
I remeber I saw Elie do it on Degrassi (the tv show) and it thought I'd give it a try.
It works, but it still self harm, sometinge I have to snapp it very hard in order to stop the urge to cut.
But still, it's less dangerous and there is no scars.
And i feel the urge to self harm is less frequent than when I cutted, even though I'm not feeling better.

So yeah, I guess it could be a way to deal with it, it worked for me anyway.

Last edited by Whiskey-Lullaby; February 3rd, 2013 at 04:01 PM.
Whiskey-Lullaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:53 PM   #3
BlueJaysGirl
Banned

Name: kristen

i use the rubber band method...
i also try and write down what i am feeling
or i do things to distract myself
BlueJaysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:33 PM   #4
nonlineargoblin

That's good guys, the rubber band thing is pretty common alternative to cutting, however its not a solution but its better than cutting.

Put a stop to cutting, help yourself and someone else

STOP THE CUTTING, START THE HEALING

JOIN THE ANTI CUTTING MOVEMENT TODAY
Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

Syvelocin's Forum Picture

Name: Rith

I released all negative thoughts about cutting. I don't know how well it would work for others, but I basically told myself it was completely 100% okay and morally fine to cut myself. I said to myself that any time I wanted to cut, I could do so. There's something about removing that taboo nature that did it for me. Maybe it was the fact that I no longer thought about it so much, because I truly believed whether or not I self-harmed that night, that it would all be okay. But I couldn't stop until I didn't need and didn't want it any more. Not until I finally figured out my future self, the person I want to become, doesn't in fact self-harm. I had been very confused whether or not she self-harmed for a long time.

I still have an issue with the sight of my blood, but the most I'm cutting is once every 6 months. No clue on how long it's been since I routinely SIed, something between one and two years maybe? Honestly, I don't pay attention to it, it just faded from my life and doesn't even exist except for a couple really bad nights when it pops into my head again. But a few slip-ups here and there is expected. That's the thing about giving yourself irrevocable permission to SI.

Oh, and the other thing to point out is I stopped after I left school, which I think has everything to do with it. I've left my teenage-self behind, far behind, and none of that matters any more. Never been happier.

And I'm sorry I didn't build your walls. And I'm sorry I had to go and fall.
And I'm sorry I had the whole thing wrong. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
And I'm sorry that you are feeling small. And I'm sorry that I'm not used to crawling.
And I'm sorry the writing's on the wall. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.

Last edited by Syvelocin; February 3rd, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Syvelocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #6
Sudds3
Nice Poster

Sudds3's Forum Picture

Name: Adam

I did a really bad job at it, i stopped about a week and a half ago. And now whenever i feel like cutting i bite the inside of my lip. Lets just say its like someone went in there with a switchblade. Buti have to stop so i go to PE without a huge bandage on my arm covering everything up. Now its just scars that i can cover with makeup
Sudds3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Megson
Member++

Megson's Forum Picture

Name: Megan

I have a few really long clean-streaks, but I don't know if I can say that I have fully quit SH yet.

But the way I've done it is I set goals for myself. I tell myself that I won't cut at all until I reach a certain special day (like a holiday, birthday, special event, concert, anything at all). If I make it, I set a new goal for myself. After a while of this, I don't have to keep making goals because I stop getting really bad urges. It has worked for me several times doing this.
Megson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #8
nonlineargoblin

thanks for posting everyone everything you guys are posting are helping people or at least giving people hope to quit.

Put a stop to cutting, help yourself and someone else

STOP THE CUTTING, START THE HEALING

JOIN THE ANTI CUTTING MOVEMENT TODAY
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #9
Transient

Transient's Forum Picture

I haven't cut in three years. It was a habitual, nightly affair. I did it just to do it. I knew I needed to stop. One day, my dad and I were having a small fight (meaning he was trying to talk me down from an anxiety attack and I wasn't having it) and I pulled my sleeves up and showed him what I was doing to myself.

After that, my dad took care of everything. I started going to talk to someone about it and eventually fell out of the habit. I learned proper coping techniques, and those techniques have made it so I never feel the need to cut and burn myself anymore.

Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Transient is offline   Reply With Quote