Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old September 20th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #1
SmexiLexie510's Forum Picture
Name: Lexie
Exclamation Dreams or real??

Because I have various other mental illnesses, I tend to read more into things than usual so I never really know whether to take things seriously or not.. but I keep waking up and seeing/hearing things and then going back into a light sleep and dreaming about other things happening to do with what I've actually just seen whilst awake. So that when I wake up again from the dream, I don't know whether it was a dream or real, and it's so confusing..

Example is this morning- my cat woke me up early and I kind of just looked at her a bit and watched her walk across my room. I went back to sleep and had a dream where my cat climbed onto my desk and then on my bed and started fussing with me and then she bit me. I then got woken up at normal time and I asked where my cat was, then asked if they'd seen my bite... but it wasn't real. I feel confused about whether it is real or not and feel like I'm only half sleeping/dreaming and half in reality. My head is usually very fuzzy when I wake up.

Another example is yesterday where I was woken up by the post lady and then I went almost straight back to sleep. I dreamed that the post lady had put through a green letter saying something about my brother's music lessons, that he had to swap his current instrument for a trumpet or something like that. I woke up again at normal time and started asking why my brother had to swap his instrument and then I got all confused and asked whether he post had actually come and if my brother had seen it, etc.

It's like I don't know what's real or not. Maybe everyone has this I don't know, but the mental illness I have, Bipolar Disorder II, could progress to Bipolar Disorder I which includes hallucinations and things. With all my mental health problems.. maybe it's nothing... I don't know.. Anyone?

You gotta stand for something or you'll fall for anything <3

Leyland, Jace, Laina, Dustin, Tristan, Maicyn, Camryn, Jamie, Isaac, Zack, Landon, Gracie, Tanner and Flynn <3
SmexiLexie510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Pictob_x's Forum Picture
Name: Shauna
Default Re: Dreams or real??

It's perfectly normal to experience this sort of thing when you're tired.
It's called hypnagogia/hymnopompia, which is the state between awareness and dreaming, and hallucinations are common.
I experience it fairly frequently, and I also get the realistic dreams about real life thing. I think it generally means you're very tired when you wake up, so your brain is still half-dreaming.
If you really are worried though, discuss it with a professional of course!

This is a different kind of war so follow me, follow me.
Pictob_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Junior Member+

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Like Pictob X said, you probably just need more sleep. That kind of thing happens to me too. If it doesn't go away and it's still bothering you, you can always talk about it with your doctor.
aprilshowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #4
SchizLife's Forum Picture

Hypnogogic hallucinations are something everybody experiences and are definitely not anything to be alarmed by. I find them quite adventurous and amusing! You were talking about whether or not to take these things seriously... I say, always approach them with a sense of playfulness. No need to do otherwise! - Living With Schizophrenia
SchizLife is offline   Reply With Quote