Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 6th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #1
CyanideGoodnight
Nice Poster

CyanideGoodnight's Forum Picture

Name: Ashley
Default "Survival story" Forum

So, I've seen a few "survival stories" around the site, you know, the ones where people say how they got through any particular addiction. Prehaps we could have an area dedicated to them? I know when I was first struggling to cope with my cutting, reading other's stories about how they got through it would've helped lots. I think it'd inspire people and give them some sort of guide, maybe?

Just a thought.

All the drugs in this world won't save her from herself

my tumblr
CyanideGoodnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #2
Jupiter
Banned

Name: Matty
Default Re: "Survival story" Forum

This is most likely going to get shot down, because lots of things do, but I actually like this. It'd be nice to go to a forum for the specific reason to find a story like that. It'd be another way for people to either vent or get to know one another.

Nice idea
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #3
Noirtier
Awesome Poster

Name: Clint

I believe that's kind of what the "Your Advice: Submissions Forum" is for, no?

~Max

i am faquarl, here me roar
Noirtier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #4
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noirtier View Post
I believe that's kind of what the "Your Advice: Submissions Forum" is for, no?
That section is usually if you want to submit a new sticky or have something posted up in the "Teen Topics" or for the parent topics. (I might be wrong)

To be honest while I do like the idea, I don't see if it would be popular enough. Plus people post stories like this in their diary and other stories get posted in other sections.

I just am not sure how this would work out.

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Ambrosia
Awesome Poster

Ambrosia's Forum Picture

Name: Lexi

Or, orrr (now pay close attention here!), you can post your story in the section that actually has something to do with that particular thing you got through! *gasp*

If you got through a huge problem with self harm and want to share your story, post it there.

If you got through an abusive relationship with your father, post it in the Abuse section.

If you got through a tough time with your significant other *drum roll*........POST IT....In the RELATIONSHIPS SECTION!

*faints*

Don't mind my sarcasm please

-Retired Global Moderator-
Ambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Foamy
The Squirrel King

Foamy's Forum Picture

Name: Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchsia View Post
Or, orrr (now pay close attention here!), you can post your story in the section that actually has something to do with that particular thing you got through! *gasp*

If you got through a huge problem with self harm and want to share your story, post it there.

If you got through an abusive relationship with your father, post it in the Abuse section.

If you got through a tough time with your significant other *drum roll*........POST IT....In the RELATIONSHIPS SECTION!

*faints*

Disregard the sarcasm, and this is the best answer.

I just had a nice bowl of mac n cheese.
Foamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #7
CyanideGoodnight
Nice Poster

Quote:

*faints*

I thought about that too, however ANYTHING in it's respective section gets buried in... what... a week or so?

My reasoning was if there was a section to put the stories would prevent it from getting buried in it's respective section.

my tumblr
Old September 8th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Mikedamaniak

Name: Michael

This is a good idea. Every time someone posts their story, the thread just ends up getting locked because it wasn't related to the forum and it wasn't a place to be telling stories or something like that.
Mikedamaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #9
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedamaniak View Post
This is a good idea. Every time someone posts their story, the thread just ends up getting locked because it wasn't related to the forum and it wasn't a place to be telling stories or something like that.
That is actually totally untrue. A thread is only locked if it has broken a rule. I believe you're thinking of the "no story telling" rule in P101. Story telling in that context means no stories of sexual or erotic nature...

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Noxail
Member++

Noxail's Forum Picture

Name: Holly

I actually like this idea. I doubt it will go far, but I'd love to see VT with a Survival Story section. Really good thinking. And most posts in the "suggestions" are pretty stupid, but this is good. ~holli

I'm Holly, or Holli, which ever spelling you like.

I am Bisexual
Noxail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #11
xXJust Jump ItXx
Awesome Poster

I like it!
xXJust Jump ItXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #12
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy

Quote:

*faints*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideGoodnight View Post
I thought about that too, however ANYTHING in it's respective section gets buried in... what... a week or so?

My reasoning was if there was a section to put the stories would prevent it from getting buried in it's respective section.
Agreed with the second point.

I've made "survival story" posts in the past. They're helpful to both the person writing them and hopefully to other users. A survival story is a bit different to someone asking for advice in a certain section. A collective of all of these stories I think would be an amazing and inspiring place. Coming on VT can sometimes be depressing, going through the psych ward posts seeing so many people in pain. At my worst that alone could lead me to become suicidal. The fact that it seemed like everyone was in pain and that no one could be helped. I think the survival story area would balance it out, and be somewhere people could go to counteract that. To give them hope. VT is amazing but we have to accept it's not the happiest of places. I just don't see the issue with starting this up other than staff pulling rank 'cause they can.

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
It’s your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #13
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

I actually agree and think that this could be beneficial for other users to hear how other people have beaten their problems and come out on top and stronger. It could be a valuable resource for a lot of people and I'm fairly sure that it would get a good amount of traffic. I don't see any harm in this, only good.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #14
Dimitri
----ΣΑΕ----

Dimitri's Forum Picture

Name: Robert

I was reading through this and what came to mind was the Your Advice [Submissions Forum]. I personally posted something in there about dealing with suicide and overcoming it and such but I was wondering if we could convert the already made forum into something more like what was suggested.

I do not know for sure how this individual part of the forum works but maybe (I know since it is under the Help and Advice part of the forum that the H&A moderators would be majorly involved with it) we could make the posts public to members...I mean, when I click on it I only see my submission but I am sure other people have posted to it other than myself.

So in the end, my suggestion would be to convert the already made Your Advice area of the Help and Advice part of the forum into a place where members can post their Survival Stories and make it only viewable to members.

I think it would be easier than creating something new because the moderators are already there in that forum anyways and it would require less time to configure than creating a new part to the forum.

What do you think?

The information provided by myself is not a substitute for that of a LICENSED PHYSICIAN.
----
Quote:
“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
Quote:
“Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.”
Dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #15
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy

I think the thing with the submissions forum is that it's there for sticky submissions, rather than "survival stories".

If we get rid of the submissions forum where do any ideas for stickies for other forums go? It's there for a reason.

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
It’s your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #16
Jupiter
Banned

Name: Matty

is that where you post things that you want to be stickies?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #17
Stronger
Justice

Stronger's Forum Picture

Name: Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Assassin View Post
That section is usually if you want to submit a new sticky or have something posted up in the "Teen Topics" or for the parent topics. (I might be wrong)

To be honest while I do like the idea, I don't see if it would be popular enough. Plus people post stories like this in their diary and other stories get posted in other sections.
I just am not sure how this would work out.
Maybe that's because there is no section for it, so they post it in an alternative place, so if this was added, then maybe they will post them there instead of diaries, etc; and I also like the idea for this sectional as well.

Kaya is my VT Sister

Last edited by Stronger; September 24th, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Stronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #18
CyanideGoodnight
Nice Poster

I'm pretty sure stickies just... happen, for lack of better terminology.

While some of the stories in the teen topics section, things written by members (Or whatever it's called, it's something along those lines) COULD constitute as what I'm talking about, it's not really known about, and it's not really what I'm talking about. It's more of an advice area based on experiences. What I'm suggesting is based more on the experience and less on the advice (however the advice part could be included).

In other words instead of a "Here's advice derived from what I've been through" it's a "Here's what I've been through and some advice you could derive from it" if that makes any sense.

Also, having the section in the actual forum, accessible to comments and more people to submit would be beneficial to the site. As Kathy said, VT, although a really nice place for support, can get pretty depressing at times. It'd balance it out and be a place for hope for the future rather than help for now.

my tumblr
Old September 24th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #19
StoppingTime
Retired Administrator

StoppingTime's Forum Picture

Name: Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanideGoodnight View Post
I'm pretty sure stickies just... happen, for lack of better terminology.
Stickies either go through that forum, or are submitted to the staff, and we decide whether or not it will be stickied to one of the borads.

I like this idea, but I don't really know if it should be an open forum. If it is something that someone needs to comment on, it should be posted as a thread.
If this were to happen, I think it should be submitted through the Submissions Forum (yes, the mods do actually read those ) and, from there, it can either be posted on the main site or in this hypothetical, "Survival Story" Forum.

Mikey was here

Elysium was here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan
WILL HOUSING CRISIS CAUSED BY COMMIE HOMOSEXUALIST-ABORTIONIST MARXIST IMMIGRANTS AND WELFARE CHEATS FROM RACIST ANTI-BRITISH EU CAUSE TB RATE FROM VACCINES TO RISE?!
StoppingTime is offline   Reply With Quote