Default Re: The All-in-One Virus Guide

Thanks man
ajith1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 03:33 PM   #22
rianvice
Junior Member+

Name: Kashina

This...list equals perfection! Thanks so much...bookmarked the page. Now I am armed and ready for when a virus attacks.

I don't even know anymore.
rianvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2013, 07:46 PM   #23
Luminous
Legendary Member

Luminous's Forum Picture

Oh My Goodness. Now I'm terrified of getting a virus. Awesome guide, thank you!

val
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #24
Azalez070
Banned

Azalez070's Forum Picture

Name: Anthony

Wow, it looks like programing.. i need to take my time to do this :S
Azalez070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #25
othees
Junior Member+

Name: Eddy

Wow thanks, very useful
othees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 02:55 AM   #26
tyrfr

thanks
tyrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 11:56 PM   #27
Lovelife090994
VT Lover

Lovelife090994's Forum Picture

Name: Valentine

This works I know but now my laptop is not wanting to turn on properly! I fear my only computer is now ruined and I've no money to fix or replace it.

My Wiccan blog: Blessed be http://lapislazulisights.tumblr.com/I am but a wayward soul traversing the physical plane with Earth as my mistress and I her humble witch.
Art http://artboy-2.deviantart.com/

Lovelife090994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #28
Osama Gulryz

Osama Gulryz's Forum Picture

Name: Osama

Thanks for sharing but i already know all these types
Osama Gulryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:21 PM   #29
Gamma Male
Awesome Poster

Gamma Male's Forum Picture

Name: Donald

HAH! You windows users and your viruses crack me up!

It seemed like a good guide though.

~No really, I love capitalistic markets, I just think we should consider letting the workers seize the means of production.~
Gamma Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #30
Synyster Shadows
Banned

Name: Andrew

What if I can't download stuff?
Synyster Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #31
ninja789
Banned

Name: Katey

thanks so much that is really helpful
ninja789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 12:34 PM   #32
parzzival

parzzival's Forum Picture

Name: Kevin

Yup. This is a good sours for viruses.

I'm proud to be an American and i'm proud to be a NERD.
parzzival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #33
Body odah Man
VT Lover

Body odah Man's Forum Picture

Niiiice. Looks good. I'm a Windows user and viri are the bane of my existence. Glad I can now kill em off

Just a chilling teen that hates baths, collects Yugioh cards and loves Runescape
Body odah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 03:11 AM   #34
WeathermanSam1

Name: Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
welcome to mirage's all-in-one virus guide!

~do you think you have a virus on your computer? Do you need to know how to remove it? Well, worry no more my teenage comrades!~

types of malware

the types of malware include (but are not limited to):
  • spyware
  • adware
  • ransomware
  • rogues
  • rootkits
  • trojans
  • backdoors

i will now explain exactly what the different types of virus do.

spyware

spyware runs in the background of your computer, and the worst part is you may never even know it is there until it is too late. Most spyware comes in the form of a "keylogger" which (as the name suggests) logs your keystrokes. There are two different kinds of keyloggers, hardware and software. Hardware keyloggers are far less common then software keyloggers, as they have to actually be physically attached to the victim's computer by means of a usb drive or serial port. Software keyloggers record what you type and email the log back to the creator. Then the creator can use your sensitive account information for malicious activities.

adware

adware is one of the more obvious types of viruses. It can insert advertisements in many unwanted places, such as on the sides of your websites or on your facebook timeline. These ads are only visible to you, and most of the time users infected with adware shrug it off as a new feature on the site they are viewing. This can also be one of the most profitable types of virus for the creator, because they are being paid every time you view one of the ads. Sometimes adware will be so bold it will insert advertisements directly on your desktop. Other forms of adware include "shopping alerts" or "good deal notifications".

ransomware

ransomware is the most profitable type of virus to create due to the reason that the only easy way to remove it is to complete a payment to the virus creator. These viruses are created solely as ways to earn money.

There are two types of ransomware; one of which i like to call "posers".
Posers lock up a system and display a notification like "illegal downloads detected". The reason these types of ransomware are so successful is that they try to scare the user into paying to avoid prosecution. Some scare tactics they use are claiming to be the fbi or other body of government, stating a warrant for the user's arrest has been issued, or (for more advanced ransomware) providing faked court/police documents.

The other type of ransomware is what i like to call "brash" ransomware. Brash ransomware blatantly states that the user has been infected by ransomware and must pay to unlock their files.

Methods for payment (for both types of ransomware) often include:
  • texting or calling a premium phone number
  • sending a paypal payment to a certain email
  • straight up entering your credit card information into the form

rogues

rogue antivirus software, or for short "rogues", pose to be legitimate antivirus software. Often the process of infection is started when a user visits a hijacked webpage which claims the user has many viruses (when in reality they don't) and then says that the user should download their antivirus software to remove the threats. The user downloads the fake software and is then (once again) told that they have viruses on their computers. The program will sometimes claim to remove one or two of the infections, but all rogues eventually pressure a user into purchasing the "full version" of the product to remove the remaining threats. When the "full version" of the software is purchased, an easy method of uninstallation is usually presented to the user. If the user had stayed with the free version an apparent means of uninstallation would not have existed. Rogues are yet another profitable virus to create.

rootkits

rootkits usually do not fly solo, they simply make a clear path for another piece of malware to run undetected. The word "rootkit" is contracted from "root" (the user with the highest permissions on a *nix system) and "kit" which simply means a collection of software. They use the root account (which is similar to the administrator account on windows based systems) and allow certain programs to run undetected by antivirus software or the firewall.

trojans

trojan horse attacks, commonly known as just "trojans", pose as legitimate, helpful programs and can sometimes actually act as such. For example, let's say a user downloads a trojan called calculatorplatinum. Calculatorplatinum actually functions as a working calculator, but at the same time it allows hackers to access your computer over the internet by opening ports and disabling the operating system's protective measures. This type of virus can also be classed as a social engineering attack, which is described in depth below under the main category "online threats".

backdoors

backdoor viruses focus mainly on one aspect of computing: Remote access. They (similar to some rootkits) open up ports and falsely authenticate themselves which allows hackers to access the user's files and computer over the internet, local network, or intranet (only applicable for computers on business networks).

online threats

sometimes there are viruses that you don't even need to download in order to be affected by them. Just visiting an infected or fake page can open your computer up to a network of cyber criminals!

phishing

phishing is one of the more widely known types of online threat. They involve making a fake copy of a legitimate site with modified code. This modified code can send the login details to the creator which can in turn lead to unauthorized account access. The fake page often circulates through fake emails claiming to originate from the legitimate service. For example, you could get an email from what seems to be paypal asking you to confirm your account details. You click the link in the email and without thinking you enter your login information. Nothing happens! You have just been "phished".

To keep yourself safe from this type of attack, take note of the following:

When you receive an email from a service asking you to confirm your login information, type out the url to the service yourself and never click the links within emails. Some phish sites take advantage of human error, by hosting their fake copies at a website with only a one letter difference than the real one. For example, a spoof of paypal would have the website papal.com or paypl.com.

If you are skeptical about whether an email actually originated from a legitimate service, check the real website and email the company asking if the email was sent out. If it wasn't, the company may ask you to forward it to them. When this happens, you are saving countless others who will now not fall prey to the phishing attack.

social engineering

social engineering attacks can be the most deadly. The attacker creates an online persona, maybe posing to be a 15 year old girl or something along the lines of that. Ultimately, they trick you into revealing your password. A common method of account hijacking is trying to reset a users password. At this point it usually asks the user the security question. The attacker can pop the security question and the unsuspecting user will answer it without thinking anything. Then the attacker is free to reset the password. Sneaky, huh?

google viruses/redirect viruses

sometimes when you click a result on google you will be redirected to an "unsavory" page completely unrelated to the result you clicked on. This is called a redirect virus. The most common issue that causes this is a modified "hosts" file. To edit your file back to normal, follow these steps.

1.) run notepad as administrator (right click -> run as administrator)
2.) navigate to file -> open
3.) navigate to the following directory: C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\
4.) make sure "all files" is selected in the drop down menu, otherwise you won't see it.
5.) double-click the "hosts" file
6.) delete anything after these lines:

7.) save the file, and you're finished!

removal steps

think you're infected? Run these steps to cure your computer!

disclaimer: Mirage or virtual teen is not responsible for any damage these programs or steps cause to your computer or other property. (basically, if you mess up, don't blame us!)

to minimize damage in case something bad happens, create a system restore point before performing any removal steps. If the removal is successful, then create a new restore point after removal.

If the virus prevents execution of any or all programs mentioned below then reboot your computer in safe mode and then try again.

step one - rkill

step one is to download rkill from bleepingcomputer.net. Please make sure you download rkill from bleepingcomputer only as there are some trojans out there posing as rkill! Once you download it, run it. It will terminate all malware processes it can find. After this is complete, a logfile will pop up in notepad. Do not continue to the next step until this logfile has popped up (to ensure rkill is completely finished).

step two - combofix

step two is to run combofix. Combofix is a very powerful program (!) so only run it if you are 100% sure your computer is infected with a virus. So far, i have performed this step countless times and combofix hasn't messed anything up but that doesn't mean it couldn't for you!

step three - malwarebytes

now for the last step. Download malwarebytes anti-malware free edition (say that 10 times fast!) and run it. Often a quick scan is all you need to find everything, but feel free to run a full scan if you want. This step will clean up any remaining viruses or residual files from the previous steps.

~and like magic, the viruses are gone!~

thank you very much for reading my all-in-one virus guide! I will make periodical updates on this guide.

~the last update was made to this page on: april 3rd, 2013~
thanks
WeathermanSam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2015, 04:32 AM   #35
BlueFoot

BlueFoot's Forum Picture

Name: Robert

You can also download malware bytes, and nuke the little bastard

18 | Baptist Christian | Facist | Straight | computer I.T supreme
Anime is love anime is life.

Www.friends-meet.com <---- My website.

Sips is love, sips is life
BlueFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 12:57 AM   #36
Let Me Be a Pony
Banned

Name: Pebbles

Malwarebytes does wonders.
Let Me Be a Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2016, 08:13 AM   #37
Murk
Member++

Murk's Forum Picture

I use ghostery,avast,and wot in chrome.. I still need to replace Norton with avast free. I can't pay for one..
Murk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 01:09 PM   #38
boy05
Junior Member+

This is really good, thanks for posting.
boy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2018, 11:30 PM   #39
Jonhyboy01

Jonhyboy01's Forum Picture

Name: Jonathan

I am in Cyber Patriot which totally doesn't make me qualified to talk about viruses
This guide was very helpful, thank you for posting this!
Jonhyboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 02:05 PM   #40
IntoTheShadows
Member+

This a good virus/malware removal guide for those with such a bad infection that they can't run Windows to begin with.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/remov...es-with-linux/
IntoTheShadows is offline   Reply With Quote