Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > General Discussions > Ramblings of the Wise
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:34 AM   #1
triggerperson
Junior Member+
 
triggerperson's Forum Picture
 
Name: Tom
Join Date: July 23, 2012
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Default "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

-Kip Kinkel

May not be the best person to quote here but hopefully you don't ban people right and left. Though I do think he has a point. I'll try to explain in the least offensive way possible.

Religious people don't really stop and think about their beliefs. They were told growing up "God is real", "If you sin you're going to Hell", "blah blah blah God is awesome blah blah all loving, blah blah blah" etc. Almost as if they have been programmed to believe in God. Which is why I agree that most of them are sheep (in that department). They'll just follow the herd without really thinking "Is it really logical to believe that there is an invisible man in the sky?".

Do you think that religious people are sheep? Why/Why not?
I hope I haven't crossed the line over to too offensive...
triggerperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:06 AM   #2
Mortal Coil
Queen of Spam
 
Mortal Coil's Forum Picture
 
Name: Ellen
Join Date: January 23, 2012
Location: DC
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 174
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

I agree that there are some like that, who take what they've learned at face value and never bother to use their own initiative, but it is NOT fair to say that about all religious people. Think about those who converted after adulthood, and keep in mind that there are atheists and agnostics who are sheep as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcharkteeth View Post
Omg I love bread
So dam tasty
Do you know what happens to people who go to the seventh circle of hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Cobain
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonite View Post
when two old people have sex, they become dust, which is naturally dry.
Mortal Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:19 AM   #3
GaryKTM250
Banned
 
Name: Gary
Join Date: July 29, 2012
Location: norfolk
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 10
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerperson View Post
-Kip Kinkel

May not be the best person to quote here but hopefully you don't ban people right and left. Though I do think he has a point. I'll try to explain in the least offensive way possible.

Religious people don't really stop and think about their beliefs. They were told growing up "God is real", "If you sin you're going to Hell", "blah blah blah God is awesome blah blah all loving, blah blah blah" etc. Almost as if they have been programmed to believe in God. Which is why I agree that most of them are sheep (in that department). They'll just follow the herd without really thinking "Is it really logical to believe that there is an invisible man in the sky?".

Do you think that religious people are sheep? Why/Why not?
I hope I haven't crossed the line over to too offensive...


Hey just let people believe in what they want you can be as free as you want, but your beliefs and opinions about others shackles you.
GaryKTM250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:34 AM   #4
triggerperson
Junior Member+
 
triggerperson's Forum Picture
 
Name: Tom
Join Date: July 23, 2012
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKTM250 View Post
Hey just let people believe in what they want you can be as free as you want, but your beliefs and opinions about others shackles you.
Oh really, my beliefs shackle me?
I let people believe whatever they want (I've never said people aren't allowed to believe in God). Maybe you should follow my example and let me believe whatever I want. And do you believe that in all circumstances? As in, should Nazis be allowed to believe in National Socialism?
triggerperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Conn0r
totally buggin'
 
Conn0r's Forum Picture
 
Name: Connor
Join Date: April 23, 2010
Gender: Cisgender Male
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

My gran does loads for her church and is there about 4 times a week for various groups etc.
My three great-aunts, her sisters, don't believe in God.

Yet they all went to church as children with my Great-Grandad and Great-Gran.

You're statement is completely un-valid.

p.s. quoting psychopathic murderers isnt a great start to a debate.


i dont need friend's, i need fans. how do you think people become famous anymore. you don't need to achieve anything, you just need to have fucked up shit happen to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice
I'd say yolo to having fun at a party and dancing wildly (but not slutty dancing) or having like one jello shot
Conn0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Cicero
Banned
 
Cicero's Forum Picture
 
Name: Marcus Tullius Cicero
Join Date: December 10, 2011
Location: Arpinum, Roman Republic
Gender: Male
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerperson View Post
-Kip Kinkel

May not be the best person to quote here but hopefully you don't ban people right and left. Though I do think he has a point. I'll try to explain in the least offensive way possible.

Religious people don't really stop and think about their beliefs. They were told growing up "God is real", "If you sin you're going to Hell", "blah blah blah God is awesome blah blah all loving, blah blah blah" etc. Almost as if they have been programmed to believe in God. Which is why I agree that most of them are sheep (in that department). They'll just follow the herd without really thinking "Is it really logical to believe that there is an invisible man in the sky?".

Do you think that religious people are sheep? Why/Why not?
I hope I haven't crossed the line over to too offensive...
Growing up, my pastors told me its good to question why I believe in him. They said God wants Christians to question different things. Also, religious people are supposed to be sheep, the bible says that we're the sheep and Christ is the Shepard. If a sheep strays, he goes back and retrieves the sheep. Back in the day, if a sheep strayed, the Shepard would break they're legs so they cannot flee again. So that could be hypothetical that God allows things to happen in our lives, so that we may return to him. In the bible, your either a Christian for life, or not a christian at all. The bible says that people can't just say "I used to be Christian", because if they say that, they were never Christian in the first place. People should say "I tried out the Christian way of life, but didn't like it". Once your written in the book of life, your in their, no matter what. So God wouldn't right you in, if he knew that you'd say "I used to be Christian, not anymore".
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:58 AM   #7
Gaybaby94
Member+
 
Join Date: January 15, 2012
Gender: Male
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

I'm sorry, but when I let the religious believe what they want, they get all in my face about how I'm evil and how the idea of us getting married is sick. Blah blah blah. IMO people should grow up, but whatever. If people want to be ignorant to scientific fact and believe in some big imaginary friend, let them. As long as they don't bother me ( which is rare) then I'm fine with their ignorant lifestyle.

Gay, Atheist, Vegan, Pro-Choice, Anti-Gun, Liberal and Proud

For equal rights to be possible, the rights of oppressors must be taken and rights of the oppressed must be given.

Religion is a choice. Homosexuality is not.
Gaybaby94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Stryker125
Awesome Poster
 
Stryker125's Forum Picture
 
Name: Justin
Join Date: February 22, 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

While I agree that there are some religious people like this, it's not true about all. I don't believe in God because I was told to or grew up that way, I have my own, personal reasons.

My names Justin. I do stuff sometimes. I'm pretty terrible at describing myself, so just say hi or something

Tumblr

Instagram
Stryker125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 04:17 PM   #9
FreeFall
Awesome Poster
 
FreeFall's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: July 12, 2012
Location: In the fish bowl
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 6
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

To an extent.

I'm atheist, came and raised from hardcore religious parents (read: 'I didn't go to church this week father forgive me I'll never do it again please don't slaughter me' people).
My parents know when enough is enough though and truly love their faith but they're not blind.

The people in Jonestown, that Peoples Temple Agricultural Project cult, those were sheeps.
Solar temple and Heaven's Gate too. Basically any cult.

Quote:
"Don't argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience."
Quote:
"Whatever will be, will be."
Ain't no party like a Gatsby party.

Sagittarius. Rooster. Water. Jupiter.
FreeFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:21 PM   #10
StoppingTime
Global Moderator
 
StoppingTime's Forum Picture
 
Name: Steven
Join Date: July 12, 2011
Location: In Time
Age: 16
Gender: Cisgender Male
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaybaby94 View Post
I'm sorry, but when I let the religious believe what they want, they get all in my face about how I'm evil and how the idea of us getting married is sick.
You just need to stop. You think that all religious people are anti-LGBT. You are so very, very wrong. Sure, if you go into a church saying, "I'm going to be married and screw you all" (I doubt you do this, but it is just your attitude) you are just asking for problems. If you don't bother those people who believe it's wrong, they aren't going to do anything to you.


Quote:
Blah blah blah. IMO people should grow up, but whatever.
Then keep that opinion. People don't need to "grow up." Religion is right for some people, so just let them be.

Quote:
If people want to be ignorant to scientific fact and believe in some big imaginary friend, let them. As long as they don't bother me ( which is rare) then I'm fine with their ignorant lifestyle.
Clearly, you aren't "fine" with it, or you wouldn't be calling them "ignorant" and "believing in a big imaginary friend." You would just have no opinion on them. You are being stereotypical, not "fine."


OT: No, of course not all religious people are like this. But why debate about it? From the OP, you clearly seem to have your ideas set in stone. It sounds like you are the Holier Than Thou preacher who, as I can tell, can't even respect religion. Do I care? No. But then don't go asking these questions if you can't at least show respect.

Sig by Sio!

||| Diary||| Another Diary
||| Flickr - Updated 8/1! |||


StoppingTime@VirtualTeen.org

Mikey was here

~Click~
Viv is my crazy hoe <3

StoppingTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:24 PM   #11
Gigablue
Awesome Poster
 
Gigablue's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: June 9, 2012
Location: Canada
Gender: Agender
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

I think that the sheep analogy might be a bit extreme, but I agree with your point. It shows a lack of critical thinking to not question your beliefs and go with what the best evidence shows. If anyone has a logical argument or good evidence for the existence of a god, then they aren't a "sheep". But believing something just because your parents told you it was true or on blind faith is simply illogical.

I also think atheists could be sheep as well. If they believe there is no god for a similarly illogical reason then they would qualify. I do think that there are far fewer atheist sheep though.

Basically anyone who believes something based on blind faith without questioning it and looking at the evidence is a sheep.
Gigablue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:07 PM   #12
Cicero
Banned
 
Cicero's Forum Picture
 
Name: Marcus Tullius Cicero
Join Date: December 10, 2011
Location: Arpinum, Roman Republic
Gender: Male
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaybaby94 View Post
I'm sorry, but when I let the religious believe what they want, they get all in my face about how I'm evil and how the idea of us getting married is sick. Blah blah blah. IMO people should grow up, but whatever. If people want to be ignorant to scientific fact and believe in some big imaginary friend, let them. As long as they don't bother me ( which is rare) then I'm fine with their ignorant lifestyle.
When YOU let them believe what they want? Damn, your such a communist. Thank you Gaybaby94 for letting me believe in God. Thank you master. *sarcasm*

It's like fuck, your just anti religious against everyone who's religious aren't you. You talk about religious people being ignorant, your the most ignorant person on here. Sure, you have your reasons, but no need to rant on every post about how Christians are evil and mean and ignorant. Not all religious people are anti LGBT. Have in mind, there are also other VTers on here that believe in this "imaginary friend". Your just as bad as the anti LGBT religiou people, because your anti religion. There have been several posts I've seen you make over the months, that just slander and bash religion. I'm getting a little tired of all this anti religious stuff. I don't mean to be an ass, it just gets tiring hearing you bash everything that has to do with God.

Last edited by Cicero; August 1st, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:18 PM   #13
Neverender
Newfoundlander
 
Neverender's Forum Picture
 
Name: Ryan
Join Date: July 28, 2007
Location: Newfoundland and Labrador
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKTM250 View Post
Hey just let people believe in what they want you can be as free as you want, but your beliefs and opinions about others shackles you.
That arguement would be valid, if religious people didn't insist on having their own moral codes be adopted for everybody. (IE Anti-Abortion laws, anti-contraceptive laws, 10 commandments in courtrooms and schools, death to people who work on the Sabbath, etc.)


Been here on VT so long,
my clothes are starting to rot.
7 Years and counting
Neverender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 10:32 PM   #14
Jess
....
 
Name: Jessica
Join Date: March 7, 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 39
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

I definitely agree with you. of course not all religious people are like that, but a lot are.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:05 AM   #15
Rage of the Menace
Member+
 
Rage of the Menace's Forum Picture
 
Name: Sa'id
Join Date: February 12, 2012
Location: Sydney
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerperson View Post
Oh really, my beliefs shackle me?
I let people believe whatever they want (I've never said people aren't allowed to believe in God). Maybe you should follow my example and let me believe whatever I want. And do you believe that in all circumstances? As in, should Nazis be allowed to believe in National Socialism?
Yes. They should be. It's their right.

Lick the cover of my CD and see what acid does.
Rage of the Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:12 AM   #16
Iris
Awesome Poster
 
Iris's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: June 9, 2011
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

People also believe in God because they're insecure and in need of some stability. Some need something to fill up a part of their lives that feels empty. Sometimes they believe in God because their parents and grandparents believed in God. Every person is different. I think both the concept of god and religion is ridiculous, but everyone has his/her own unique story for why they are the way they are. You can't make such blanket statements; you need to know more about people before calling them ignorant fools.
Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:17 PM   #17
heeysamantha
New Member
 
heeysamantha's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 2, 2012
Gender: Female
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

I think religion is a very sensitive issue... and i think many arguments and wars are fought over it...and for what. To MAKE someone believe in something that they don't. they're both trying to make the opposite side believe in what THEY think is right. Why can't there be a happy medium. I personally don't believe in religion, however, I also don't believe in people trashing other peoples religion. and saying that their way of belief is wrong. Yes I lean on the side of scientific fact. and what can be proven because I don't believe in blind faith. But, I'm not sitting behind my computer screen condemning people who believe in religion, and saying that they are ignorant and shackled by their beliefs. I respect people to believe in what they want. Everyone else should show a little maturity and understanding as well, and be able to respect others.
heeysamantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:27 PM   #18
LouBerry
Awesome Poster
 
LouBerry's Forum Picture
 
Name: Elizabeth.
Join Date: July 29, 2012
Location: Gallifrey.
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 79
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

The way I look at it:My Mom died when I was a little kid, but according to my religion, I'll see her again someday. And I really do believe in God. When things in my life get hard, and I get depressed, I pray. And something tells me, You are loved, you are beautiful. Jesus is my best friend. I talk to him like I can't talk to anyone else. I don't believe that I'm better than anyone else because of my religion, and the whole point of what I believe is love. I think that it's my job to show love to the world.
LouBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:26 PM   #19
Chronos
New Member
 
Name: Miguel
Join Date: August 2, 2012
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

I just have a problem with religion as it's portrayed today. I agree that having a spiritual shoulder to lean on is a fine and dandy idea, but I do not think it should be someone else's spiritual shoulder you lean on. I think religion should be a much more private thing. There shouldn't be this whole thing about "Christianity" and "Judaism" and "Wiccans", whateverthefuck, and beliefs shouldn't be limited by what other people say.

Your beliefs should be based on what you believe-how you perceive the world as it is and how you think it would be best-not what other people stuff down your throat.

The thing is, the world changes, and religion pretends not to. That's another one of it's biggest issues.

But in most relevancy to the topic at hand-the thing is, these sheep, they don't stop to think about what THEY think is right. They follow blindly, like you said. The whole point of what I'm saying religion should be is that people should be able to believe in something they really feel-and that should be based around happiness and love. Whatever makes people happy. That's what I think.

The way I see it, I don't understand these sheep people. They follow these "God"s blindly, not seeing that their beliefs are hurting other people and hurting the world, causing drama and bringing down pain. Now the way I see it, any God whose words hurt his own creations, man, isn't a great God. And seeing as Gods get their power from their followers, don't follow and he won't have any power to punish you. Don't follow if you don't want people to be caused pain and suffering by everything you throw into the ever-evolving mix that is the world.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:06 AM   #20
Haufen
Member
 
Haufen's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: June 1, 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Default Re: "Anyone that believes in God is a fucking sheep."

Believing in God doesn't make you a sheep. Blindlessly following what your friends, family and/or society says makes you a sheep.
If your parents and friends are atheists and your society for the most part too, and you just take over that belief without thinking, you are a sheep as well as the believers who do the same.
Haufen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2014, VirtualTeen.org