Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old July 14th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #1
bigfoot
Member++

bigfoot's Forum Picture

Exclamation I know you aren't a doctor but...

I think im bipolar.I have mood swings that last weeks.some days im really happy,yell out in class,sleep like 3 hours and feel great,and do things that are really spontaneuos and not like me.other days, i want to avoid my friends,stay alone,sleep,not care about anything at all.there are days when i feel normal but have weeks of these mood swings.

point me in the right direction people.am i just imAGINING this or AM i maybe bipolar.

i know u cant tell me if i am or not but, is it a possibility.are there any more signs/symptoms??
im worried
bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #2
johngotti

johngotti's Forum Picture

Default Re: I know you aren't a doctor but...

how old are you? it may just be hormones, but if your legitamately concerned just see a doctor bruh.

if i said it i meant it
johngotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #3
bigfoot
Member++

bigfoot's Forum Picture

im 14 but swear i always remember being like this.it would be so awkward asking my mom to take me to the doctor for that.she thinks im happy all the time.i cant just say "i think im bipolar"when all she sees is happy.she'll think im crazy for thinking im crazy.
Old July 14th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #4
Darknova8

Darknova8's Forum Picture

Name: Adi

Your probably not bi-polar.
It's probably just hormones as john said.
Its natural to feel diffrent on diffrent days.
I have the same thing one day im super hyper the next i wanna just sit down and read.
But if you honestly think your bi-polar you can go to the doctor to see what he/she thinks.

~Be the change you want to see in the world~Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Hey if i helped ya in anyway. A +rep would be amazing thx.
Darknova8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #5
bigfoot
Member++

bigfoot's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknova8 View Post
Your probably not bi-polar.
It's probably just hormones as john said.
Its natural to feel diffrent on diffrent days.
I have the same thing one day im super hyper the next i wanna just sit down and read.
But if you honestly think your bi-polar you can go to the doctor to see what he/she thinks.
its not a day on day off thing its more like im super deppressed for a few weeks and then i turn into a happy hyper insomniac that screams for no reason and gets into trouble in class for throwing something or something like that.
Old July 14th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #6
Darknova8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman20 View Post
its not a day on day off thing its more like im super deppressed for a few weeks and then i turn into a happy hyper insomniac that screams for no reason and gets into trouble in class for throwing something or something like that.
Yes but these are weeks apart as you said isn't that a pretty long while your mood probably just shifts and if your going through puberty this is pretty natural.

Old July 14th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #7
bigfoot
Member++

bigfoot's Forum Picture

i hope your right but none of my friends seem like this.maybe im just different when it comes to puberty
Old July 14th, 2012, 02:43 AM   #8
Darknova8

It's always diffrent when you compare yourself to others .

Old July 14th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #9
bigfoot
Member++

bigfoot's Forum Picture

Question Re: I know you aren't a doctor but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknova8 View Post
It's always diffrent when you compare yourself to others .
true but im just not sure...
Old July 14th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Gigablue
Awesome Poster

Gigablue's Forum Picture

Bipolar disorder usually manifests itself with depressive episodes lasting weeks or months, followed by manic episodes lasting a few weeks. The depressive episodes have all the symptoms of normal depression, i.e. sadness, irritability, insomnia or hypersomnia, decreased interest in normal activities, suicidal thoughts, etc.

Manic episodes usually have euphoria or irritability, racing thoughts and speech, hyperactivity, decreased need for sleep, grandiosity, and, in severe cases, some symptoms of psychosis.

Your symptoms are not part of normal puberty. It can have some of these symptoms, but not as severe and not all to them. It seems like it also causes some dysfunction in everyday life.

You should see your family doctor or a psychiatrist ASAP. I can't diagnose you, but you seem to have many of the symptoms of bipolar disorder.
Gigablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #11
bigfoot
Member++

bigfoot's Forum Picture

i play the guitar and i like to write songs... those weeks that im happy and not my self i have the greatest rushes of creativity ever.those weeks i fee bad i lose intrest rarely even play. i cant write music or anything...
Old July 14th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Breakeven
Awesome Poster

Breakeven's Forum Picture

Name: viv

Bipolar Symptoms : symptoms of bipolar disorder are dramatic and unpredictable mood swings and they are mania and depression:

1- Mania symptoms : may include excessive happiness, excitement, restlessness, increased energy, less need for sleep, racing thoughts, high sex drive, and a tendency to make grand and unattainable plans.

2 Depression symptoms : include sadness, anxiety, irritability, loss of energy, uncontrollable crying, change in appetite causing weight loss or gain, increased need for sleep, difficulty making decisions, and thoughts of death or suicide
a person with bipolar disorder experiences four or more episodes of mania or depression in one year

thats all i can tell u coz its hard to know unless ur a doctor but u should see a doctor if it start effecting ur life and ur school work..

I am not fucked up,Life is!
Breakeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #13
Gigablue
Awesome Poster

Gigablue's Forum Picture

Quote:
i play the guitar and i like to write songs... those weeks that im happy and not my self i have the greatest rushes of creativity ever.those weeks i fee bad i lose intrest rarely even play. i cant write music or anything...
Anhedonia, loosing interest in previously enjoyed activities, is a common symptom of depressive episodes. It is also not surprising that you can't write music, depressive episodes can impair thinking.

Some studies suggest a link between mania and creativity, though others found no correlation. The increased creativity, combined with extreme happiness and the other symptoms you described earlier, suggest a potential manic episode.

The fact that you have both of these states, and cycle between them could indicate bipolar disorder. I'm not a doctor, so I can't make a diagnosis. You should definitely see a doctor as soon as possible. Even if you don't have bipolar disorder, you seem to have something that interferes with your life. A doctor will be able to diagnose and treat you if necessary.
Old July 14th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #14
bigfoot
Member++

bigfoot's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigablue View Post
Anhedonia, loosing interest in previously enjoyed activities, is a common symptom of depressive episodes. It is also not surprising that you can't write music, depressive episodes can impair thinking.

Some studies suggest a link between mania and creativity, though others found no correlation. The increased creativity, combined with extreme happiness and the other symptoms you described earlier, suggest a potential manic episode.

The fact that you have both of these states, and cycle between them could indicate bipolar disorder. I'm not a doctor, so I can't make a diagnosis. You should definitely see a doctor as soon as possible. Even if you don't have bipolar disorder, you seem to have something that interferes with your life. A doctor will be able to diagnose and treat you if necessary.
i dont know how to ask to see a doctor for something like this.my mom would dismiss it as me being paranoid about this
Old July 14th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #15
StoppingTime
Retired Administrator

StoppingTime's Forum Picture

Name: Steven

As you said, we can only give you tips, and if you'd like any solid information, I'd recommend speaking with your GP. I read that you are a bit embarrassed to ask, and that's normal. If you wanted medical advice without having to go, most insurance companies (if you've got one, there are other ways to do this) have "nurse lines" or "help lines" with medical professionals who are there to help you, and if they feel it is serious enough, could set an appointment up for you to go in person.
---
If you have not already, I recommend reading through this, as it contains very useful information just for a question like this. Bi-Polar is the most misdiagnosed mental illness, so it is quite possible this could just be part of the pubertal hormones. Even if your friends were having this as well, they wouldn't, as you don't, show it in public, so don't worry about that.
I, nor anyone here, can give you a solid answer. Read through the link, and see where your symptoms match up. This will not tell you 100% whether you are Bi-Polar or not, but it can give you a better guess. Also, here is an informational account of a similar circumstance; and also, have a look around that site. It contains very useful information as well.
Good luck, and if you have any questions, we are always here.

Mikey was here

Elysium was here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan
WILL HOUSING CRISIS CAUSED BY COMMIE HOMOSEXUALIST-ABORTIONIST MARXIST IMMIGRANTS AND WELFARE CHEATS FROM RACIST ANTI-BRITISH EU CAUSE TB RATE FROM VACCINES TO RISE?!
StoppingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #16
Maverick
Retired Administrator

Maverick's Forum Picture

Of course nobody can diagnose you on the internet and likely a doctor isn't going to diagnose you as bipolar this young. You're 14 and your body is changing. Your hormones are going through the roof. Puberty will give you mood swings and make you feel all over the place. Give it time and things will begin to settle down and you'll start to feel yourself again.

Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #17
bigfoot
Member++

bigfoot's Forum Picture

i think it might be i milder form.like cyclothymia or whatever its called.would i need to see a doctor for that??
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #18
StoppingTime
Retired Administrator

StoppingTime's Forum Picture

Name: Steven

Honestly it's up to you. But, if you haven't already, read this:

No medicines are specifically approved for the treatment of cyclothymia, although mood stabilizers such as lithium or lamotrigine are sometimes recommended as a possible strategy to reduce mood fluctuations. Antidepressants such Prozac, Paxil, or Zoloft are generally not recommended unless someone develops a full major depression, which, by definition, does not occur in cyclothymic disorder. There is also a small risk that antidepressants could trigger or worsen mania symptoms in a subgroup of vulnerable people. Antidepressants alone also are not known to improve fluctuations in mood, which are hallmark characteristics of cyclothymic disorder.

Technically speaking, when elevated or depressed moods become severe, a person no longer has cyclothymia, but rather has bipolar disorder. This progression to more severe symptoms can happen, and this is when many people first receive treatment.
Source.

Personally, unless you are noticing that these mood swings are severely interacting with your life, I wouldn't go through the trouble of seeing someone, (or possibly, multiple doctors) and receiving medication(s), which in this case, could do more harm than good seeing as, if it is even anything, a very mild case.

Mikey was here

Elysium was here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan
WILL HOUSING CRISIS CAUSED BY COMMIE HOMOSEXUALIST-ABORTIONIST MARXIST IMMIGRANTS AND WELFARE CHEATS FROM RACIST ANTI-BRITISH EU CAUSE TB RATE FROM VACCINES TO RISE?!
StoppingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #19
Gigablue
Awesome Poster

Gigablue's Forum Picture

Quote:
i think it might be i milder form.like cyclothymia or whatever its called.would i need to see a doctor for that??
If it is causing you any impairment in your everyday functioning, you should see a doctor. If not, it's up to you.