Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 5th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #1
shurikenMarch

Default Tips?

Okay, here we go...

My OCD got worse when I reached sixth form (I think because - more free time, so your not concentrating as much so your mind wonders. Also, the classes are smaller (from 25-30 down to 8-10) so it's harder to mask the compulsions wich leads to stress which in turn leads back to more obsessions).
As I mentioned in a previous thread, the people who I respect the most are the ones that appear most often in my obsessions. In my case, these people are my teachers (yes, it might sound 'sad' to some but seeing as my year was the first year in the school we became closer than usual with the teachers and in sixth form everything is more relaxed and there are more lessons so you bond more with them).
To help deal with the obsessions I'd perform rituals in school (e.g. 1. whenever I walked outside past one's classroom I'd look at a certain window, nod, look away and click; 2. whenever I walked down the corridor and past their door I'd click; 3. Before entering the classroom, click and tap either side of the door frame). These did help untill half terms, and summer holidays were tough going.

Last year (at the start of year 13) I developed stronger feelings for one of the teachers. The thoughts started off sexual which were sometimes quite disturbing. Then they turned really violent. On bad days it was 50 minutes of every hour. I couldn't make them go away even with the above repetitions, they didn't help. Whenever I tried to sit down and do work in the school library I couldn't concentrate, to the point where I had to walk down the corridor past his classroom to convince myself that he was safe. I don't know why I thought anything could have happened to him but I had to make sure anyway. That did help.

But now it's the summer holidays again and the worst of the thoughts are back. I just keep wanting to know that he's safe. I always think of 'what if...?' questions and it drives me crazy.

So I guess the point of this thread was to ask if anyone has any 'tips' on how to deal with this apart from drugs and doctors.

Thanks for reading.

sM
shurikenMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #2
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!
Default I think the best tip here is to talk with your doc

my understanding (from my Dad the shrink) is that there are certain things that really can only be addressed with docs and meds, and i think OCD is one of them. MAybe you should call your doc pronto and see him and get some meds to take these bad things away?
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #3
shurikenMarch

Default Re: Tips?

The reason I don't want to go to the doctor is that I find it hard to open up to people, especially one's I don't know. And I know, yes, I just did to you guys, but that's not face to face and you don't know anything else about me.
Also, I don't want anything to go on record. I know it's confidential, but if I get medication there will still be paper work you know?
And say if I apply for a job and one of the questions on the form is 'Are you on any medication?', then I'd have to put it down and everyone would know about it.
And I really don't want that to happen.
shurikenMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #4
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!
Default Re: Tips?

Well, although I understand your concerns about privacy and all, you sound like you're in a lot of pain, too. The only way to treat a medical condition is with doctors and (maybe) medicine. The feeling of discomfort at getting to 'open up' to a stranger is temporary until you get to know him and get comfortable with the process. And the medicine might make you feel dramatically better, which is way more important than your fears of privacy. Besides, i'm not sure that it's legal to ask you on a job application about medicines you might be taking, unless it's a manual job where the side effects of the medicine might interfere with job performance. But since you're not there yet, why not take it a step at a time, and see the doctor and get better?
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote