Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:49 AM   #1
christianteen
Banned

Default So sick of the stupid rep system

I'm just here to vent some anger about the very idiotic reputation system.

You may notice that I have disabled my rep. This is because I've received a bombardment of negative rep ever since I've been on this site.

I get nit-picked on every single thing I do and honestly it's pretty degrading, especially when some twerp leaves an offensive of snide comment along with their negative rep. It just makes my blood boil! I'm trying to just give out advice from personal experiences and give opinions based on my life views and every second person just seems to want to give negative rep out to me and to others.

In fact, I think some people enjoy giving out negative rep just so people like me can watch my rep rating go down and down.

Take this as an example, just a few days ago I was browsing the different forums and I saw a post in the introductions forum that I knew belonged in the puberty 101 forum. I saw it was the users first post and reported it and left a friendly comment about making sure to post in the right forums.

Next thing I know I have some arse leaving me negative rep for telling him that he was posting in the wrong forum! He told me not to try to be a mod and to report it. Little did this fool know that I had reported it and I was just trying to be a good citizen of the forum!

People just seem to be able to give out negative rep for the littlest things and I'm just sick of it. Especially in the debating forum negative repping, as I like to call it, is rampant. Honestly I don't go in that forum any more because I know I'm going to get negative rep for anything I say.

All in all, I think that the power to give out negative reps should belong to mods only. I agree with giving out positive reps as it is a positive thing but negative repping is often abused and just makes people like me feeling down.

Even removing the negative rep system and just leaving positive reps for positive responses and actions would be the best thing I reckon.

If you have read this far, thank you very much for listening to me.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 03:55 AM   #2
Jupiter
Banned

Name: Matty
Default Re: So sick of the stupid rep system

you currently have (from 0) to 8 rep now because of me. don't complain about the rep system, because it won't get you very far. the people here are very passionate. well some people really like it and most people just think it is irrelevant. the point is, jamie, the rep system is pointless, so don't worry about it.

Although when people give an unfair rep, it is annoying. You can tell the admins and they will take it off with their discretion.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:05 AM   #3
OrKing
Nice Poster

OrKing's Forum Picture

Name: Shane

I wouldn't say it's idiotic mate, it's a logical thing to implement, to be honest. People in general love being able to express themselves, the rep system is a half decent way to give us a small, more discreet way to do that. It let's us put our point of view across in a way that we know builds up to something, and in your case, and quite a few others I guess, effects somebody. On the other hand I agree that rep can be a bad thing, like you explained in the above people 'abuse' that small power and hate on people who only had good intentions, thus, like everything when it comes to human choice, causes unnecessary conflict, which is always a bad thing. I'm both not active or old enough here to say whether I think it should be taken down, but I think only having positive rep might be a good thing.

I'm not sure exactly how it works but it could be pretty cool if you could only give rep if you had one yourself to give, unless that's how it works already? I'm not sure.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:09 AM   #4
Donkey
Retired Administrator

Donkey's Forum Picture

If the reputation system is idiotic, you shouldn't mind if you lose a few of those idiotic points. They're meaningless after all. I think you only posted this thread to get rep, which you have succeeded in doing.

Last edited by Donkey; July 2nd, 2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:49 AM   #5
Rayquaza
Sky High Pokmon

Well you've disabled your reputation system, and made a thread like this here, so it shouldn't really matter that much. If you have a problem, click both the minus signs in your User CP to hide the rep system altogether so that it's easier to ignore. If it's really unfair, as in the rep was clearly for no reason, or just for payback, or just something stupid, you can report it too and it could possibly be taken off. But just take reputation as a pinch of salt. Hey, at least it's not completely red reputation, and your rep is in the green.

Edit: You did disable your rep system.

Last edited by Rayquaza; July 2nd, 2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:38 AM   #6
StoneColdNicky
Member++

StoneColdNicky's Forum Picture

Name: Nick

I've noticed the reputation point things, but to be honest never really gave it much thought.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:18 AM   #7
TheMatrix
Retired G(M)od

TheMatrix's Forum Picture

Name: Thomas

Those who devote their entire forum lives to the rep system are wasting their time and getting stressed over nothing. Just relax, man.
And judging by the rep you've been receiving, I see most of it is actually deserved. You might actually want to follow the advice given in the comments to receive less in the future, just saying.

Signature by Jon 'n Mike
Formerly at your service as GD Moderator(2011-2012) and Global Moderator(2012-2014).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The chat, sometime in November 2011
4:22 PM [idkgay] what does infract men i mesan realy ppl use english
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsethfitz View Post
You are so foolish and "OFF TOPIC" as you mods always like to jump at stuff about.
~Ron was here~
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:32 AM   #8
Mirage
Retired GMod

Mirage's Forum Picture

Name: Macks

Don't complain about rep. It literally will get you nowhere, just post good content and rep will come by itself. If you feel a rep comment is degrading, or rude then just PM an admin and they will take a look at it.

Stop, that tickles!
Former Global Moderator
Bagels are actually fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus
8:12 PM [Magus] Latah is a great singer.
8:12 PM [Magus] The real singer.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:49 AM   #9
StoppingTime
Retired Administrator

StoppingTime's Forum Picture

Name: Steven

Congrats, you made a thread asking for rep by complaining about it. It is a popularity bar, just don't worry about it. However, like Thomas said, some of them may actually help.

Mikey was here

Elysium was here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan
WILL HOUSING CRISIS CAUSED BY COMMIE HOMOSEXUALIST-ABORTIONIST MARXIST IMMIGRANTS AND WELFARE CHEATS FROM RACIST ANTI-BRITISH EU CAUSE TB RATE FROM VACCINES TO RISE?!
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Thunduhbuhlt
Awesome Poster

Thunduhbuhlt's Forum Picture

Name: Aaron

While I agree, I don't see a need for ANOTHER thread complaining about the rep system. Yeah, it's fucked up, we all get that, but don't keep complaining about it because it's not gonna change. If you have a problem disable your rep and go on with your day. It's just rep, it means nothing. I don't care if you have 0 or 80 or 275, it doesn't matter.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:57 AM   #11
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

Everybody is saying the exact same thing, and I think you got what you wanted by making this thread - a nice rep boost.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
Closed Thread