Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Notices

Old August 16th, 2004, 03:09 AM   #1
billie
Junior Member+

Default Social Anxiety Disorder board

Perhaps having a forum for people afflicted by Social Anxiety Disorder would be a good idea. Supposedly over 7% (approx. 1 in 14 people) of the US population suffer from it, although I have no idea how many people have it worldwide, in the US (where I live), or on this board. Symptoms usually emerge during adolescence (if ever), so such a forum would be appropriate for the users of this board. It is a hugely under-diagnosed illness, so making people aware of it is probably a good idea. What do you mods all think?
billie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:11 AM   #2
TheWizard
Retired Administrator

TheWizard's Forum Picture

let me think about

Josh

TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:25 AM   #3
Whisper
Ancient Gmod

Whisper's Forum Picture

Name: Kodie

Whatever Josh says. For two reasons

Josh started this site so as far as I am concered what he says goes.

Look at how well this site is working out, I think he knows what he's doing.

♫♪Κodie♪♫
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:29 AM   #4
Jono
Awesome Poster

I think a shake up of forums that aren't working is needed. We should have a trial forum for everything, see how it works out and then decide.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:22 AM   #5
Doug
Awesome Poster

Maybe we should merge a couple forums, because the list is getting quite long, and many aren't being used as much as we have hoped.

Formerly known as CARNAGE and Paint it Black.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #6
TheWizard
Retired Administrator

I'm open to suggestions. What forums do you think we don't need?

Josh

Old August 16th, 2004, 03:58 PM   #7
Dfsg
Awesome Poster

Well, if we were to have a social anxiety forum, we should just make a Depression and Social Anxiety forum, since the disorders are often related and treated similarly.

As for nixing a few forums, you could put the eating dissorder forum in the "Other Mental Illness" forum. Then, you coudl change the forum description to say something like "For Epileptics, Narcoleptics, Bulemics, Anorexics, etc" And just keep adding on the list as people with those particular disorders join the site.

Maybe even the ADD and Bi-Polar forums could be catagorized like that within the other mental illnesses forum. I still think they should be given a chance, though.

As always- None of my statements are evaluated by the FDA.

My advice is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any diseases unless prescribed by a health practitioner. All information is provided for educational purposes only and should not replace the advice of your medical doctor.

(but your medical doctor will probably end up killing you )
Dfsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 04:52 AM   #8
billie
Junior Member+

As a mere suggestion, would it be possible to request the members of this board to complete a survey about which forums interest them most? The demographic characteristics of those that use this board seem to be teenagers who self-injure... I don't know whether this is because Josh's connections in GovTeen are predominantly 'cutters' or whether it is just chance, but perhaps it is a good idea to find out more about the users of this board in order to make more informed decisions about which forums to bin, which to keep and which to create.

Just an idea.
Old August 18th, 2004, 12:34 PM   #9
TheWizard
Retired Administrator

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Josh

Old August 19th, 2004, 12:02 PM   #10
billie
Junior Member+

Wow! I'm so pleased you like the sound of my idea! My only hesitation concerns how up-for-it the members of the board would be... the survey would probably be anonymous, but I belive most US-based teenagers are back at school...

I did try a couple of survey applications and PHPSurveyor http://phpsurveyor.sourceforge.net/ has a nice interface, has all the right features like branched surveys (set conditions on whether individual questions will display), exporting of results in various formats like Excel, and customising whether questions will display in groups, one-by-one or all on one page.

I have hosting space with a decent webhost and quite literally gigabytes of unused bandwidth, as well as an easy-install system called Fantastico that takes the hassle out of installing web-based software, so I would be happy to do it if you don't want to/don't have the capability to/[insert other reason].
Old August 19th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #11
TheWizard
Retired Administrator

I don't know how to do it so if you can will you do it?

Josh

Old August 19th, 2004, 04:03 PM   #12
billie
Junior Member+

Oh yes! Absolutely! Thankyou so very much Josh! This is really very nice of you.

I am just writing a list of questions to put on it. When it is done, I will PM it to you. Perhaps you could PM me an idea as to how many questions you want (max limit, etc.) and what sort of questions you want asked. Thanks!
Old August 19th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #13
TheWizard
Retired Administrator

I guess to me I'm only interested in helping people so the questions should be to find out if there are enough people with it to make a difference.

Its not about being popular to me. Its about should we do it because it helps people.

Josh

Old August 19th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #14
billie
Junior Member+

Do you only want to find out how many people are sufferers from Social Anxiety Disorder or do you want more of a complete demographic report of the viewers of the board, i.e. you could see if a large proportion of them have drug problems, or school problems, or whatever. Also, you would be able to see how much audience penetration the boards have - what sorts of people the board has reached.
Old August 19th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #15
TheWizard
Retired Administrator

That sounds cool. I didn't know it could tell all that stuff.

Josh

Old August 20th, 2004, 06:28 AM   #16
Shaolin
Awesome Poster

Yeah a large survey would be cool, but you can do that really easily with a poll.

If anyone wants immediate advice don\'t hestitate to contact to me on AIM (AOL instant messenger) - aim: vodkasmodka

Eccentric! Not egocentric!
Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 06:54 AM   #17
billie
Junior Member+

But surveys can have multiple questions, and also allow you to have more complex answers, like multiple choice, ratings (1-10), arrays of choices, number inputs (for age), etc. And you can also see cross-question links, e.g. 10% of people who are dyslexic suffer from depression. It just allows for more flexible data collection.
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #18
TheWizard
Retired Administrator

I think you are right. good survey could tell us alot about the people who come here and maybe we can make VT better.

Josh

Old September 30th, 2004, 09:31 PM   #19
RunAwayMolly
Great Poster

RunAwayMolly's Forum Picture

I think it would be a better idea if we made a forum for all anxieties similar to social anxiety because that is just a part of one big problem. I mean there are many different types of anxieties, social, agoraphobia and other phobias and fear of leaving ones house the fear of going to school (which i batteled) and more kinds.

To win the respect of intelegent people and the affection of children, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch... to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is too have SUCCEEDED! - Emerson

<3 Molly Olly Oxen Free!
RunAwayMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 05:40 AM   #20
TheWizard
Retired Administrator

I guess the next step is to come up with the questions and anwsers to make it multichoice.

Josh