Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 6th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #1
prayerbear

Question Mental illness combo?

[SIZE="4"]
This is my first time to post here, so I am hoping this is going in the right category! I have been diagnosed Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. I have been taking Zoloft (200 mg) and buspar (45mg)a day.
My grandmother, sister, and niece have bipolar I with a lot of depression in my background. I have been feeling really good after taking Zoloft, but haven't given this much thought. A psychiatrist said I was 'kind of' bubbly and pointed out that antidepressants can cause mainia if there is a benetic background of bipolar! I am quite happy and then mildly depressed(grumpy) and my mood goes slightly up and down and up and down and varies several times during the day. Does this sound like Bipolar III (cyclothmic disorder). I am going to my doctor tommorrow!
What type of drugs do they prescribe to Bipolar III and is it possible to be OCD and bipolar III at the same time?
Is there anyone out there like this?
thanks
prayerbear
prayerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #2
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

Default Re: Mental illness combo?

Considering the bipolar history of some of your relatives it is likely to be bipolar III - if it wasn't for that then I would be a little more inclined to put it down to hormones. Your doctor will be able to properly diagnose you whereas I can purely say that it is either just hormones or cyclothmic disorder.

I am not sure what they prescribe for cyclothmic disorder - I am a rapid cycler. But yes it is possible to experience bipolar and OCD at the same time.

Wish you luck tomorrow, and if you ever want to chat about bipolar or whatever just pm me or something x

~ The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step ~

* Nothing in the world has ever been accomplished without passion *
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #3
prayerbear

Unhappy Re: Mental illness combo?

Tortured Beauty,

I just returned from the doctor today and he did diagnose me as bipolar. Whether II or III doesn't really matter to him! When I get high, I like to challenge bosses and tell them "Go right ahead" when they threaten to fire me. I got fired very easily. Thank goodness I am receiving Social Security Disability!.
Anyway, I am starting Lamictil 25 mg. tomorrow (gradually increasing the dose) Has anyone ever tried this drug for bipolar and had any awful side effects?

Send me a line!

By the way, I am up to Zoloft(200 mg.-depression, anxiety, OCD,) Buspar(antianxiety) and Lamictil (25mg up to 100 after a month).

Has anyone also tried Vitamin B and fish oil? It is really supposed to help support seretonin and communication between nerve pathways!

Happy,
Grumpy,
Happy,
Grumpy, etc.
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:38 AM   #4
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

I tried Vitamin B at one point before I was diagnosed but it didn't help me. Infact I think I got worse (worst mania I have experienced) because I wasn't suffering from a Vitamin B deficency. It does seem to help some people though so it is worth a shot.
One of my friends is finding fish oil very helpful with his depression.

How do the drugs make you feel (the zoloft and buspar)?
Can't exchange any notes on drugs as I have refused them as a form of treatment - I have issues with applying the chemical imbalance explanation to myself as there are specific reasons for most of my depressive episodes.

Old June 8th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #5
Hyper
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tortured Beauty~ View Post
I tried Vitamin B at one point before I was diagnosed but it didn't help me. Infact I think I got worse (worst mania I have experienced) because I wasn't suffering from a Vitamin B deficency. It does seem to help some people though so it is worth a shot.
One of my friends is finding fish oil very helpful with his depression.

How do the drugs make you feel (the zoloft and buspar)?
Can't exchange any notes on drugs as I have refused them as a form of treatment - I have issues with applying the chemical imbalance explanation to myself as there are specific reasons for most of my depressive episodes.

Ohh! Gonna smack you :pow:

Now... I took Zoloft almost half a decade ago I stopped, back then it helped me.. Buspar the name is so familiar but I don't remember if I took it or not..

And you should try the drugs, true depression is a circle, can't just break out of it with good will anymore.. ;P

I'm tough, rough, ready and able
To pick myself up from under this table
Don't stick no sign on me, I got no label
I'm a little sick, unsure, unsound and unstable

But I'm fighting my way back
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #6
prayerbear

Red face Re: Mental illness combo?

I meant that anyone with mental illness should always take the prescribed meds that their doctor reccomends-I just thought that B complex may help!
Also, it is a very not good idea to quit taking meds just because someone tells you have to-I was attending this church that turned out to be a cult!
They acted superior than me because of my OCD/bipolar II diagnosis. They acted like I was "demonized" This is crazy and extremely inaccurate. Internet sites show different brains with different mental illnesses. I wish people weren't so ignorant and acting superior about this!
Always go with what your doctor tells you to do-not some ignorant snot who feels superior to you!
Oops, another mood swing again! I just started taking Lamictil and the brochure says that this drug would take several weeks to kick in! Everone is different! For years, I had no idea I was also bipolar!
I am receiving psychotherapy which is paid for by my insurance, which helps with self-esteem issues! Technically, I got tired of the "highs" because I would confess to perfect strangers which was a very unwise idea!

Bye for now, I am going to check out some sweepstakes!

prayerbear
Old June 10th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

Here in England you are deemed to have a right to choose the form of treatment you receive if a few are avaliable and that choice is yours to make from 16 onwards. My doctor understands my reasons and is perfectly happy with my decision. If I get drastically worse then I may have to take them, but luckily I am not at that point yet.

People like at that church thing deserve to be shot. The complete ignorance and arrogance of those views sickens me. The biological evidence for the development of bipolar is the highest of all mental illnesses and it makes me sick when people say things like "you are demonised/possessed"

Old June 12th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #8
prayerbear

Default Yes, they need a good swift kick in the "you know where"!

I have researched this biological component myself. I have also known that through google you can actually find brain scans that show various brain scans with different diagnosis. Also, seretonin(how you feel) affects migraines, Parkinsons, alchohol dependence, blah, so it proves that several neurotransmitters are involved in physical illnesses as well as mental.

Also, buspar and Zoloft most of the time makes me feel good, sometimes very up there excited, confident, HAPPY-too happy, talkative and the mild or moderate lows it seems to keep them from going lower than low.

Bipolar II and III doesn't usually requite hospitilization, but I do not reccoment anyone with any mental illness, especially bipolar to decide that they "feel fine" (when they're manic) because this is very dangerous.I may be religious, but I am not too proud to be taking three different meds!

Does anyone else like Lamictal?
I understand that age does affect side effects!
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:02 PM   #9
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

Maybe create a thread in the Drugs and Meds Forum if you want to discuss the drugs and side effects. Its more relevant and seems to be more active than this one.

Old July 7th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #10
SweetyPieGeri

SweetyPieGeri's Forum Picture

That is a little like me, my moods go up and down, sometimes i'm really happy but then the next day i'm not. I have OCD too.
SweetyPieGeri is offline   Reply With Quote