Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 5th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #1
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike
Default ** Coming Out Tips; Share Your Story! **

Coming Out Tips; Share Your Story!

Whether you are “out” or not, lets hear your status and your possible coming out story!

So you think you’re ready to come out. Whether you want to come out to your family, friends, school or your co-workers, it takes a lot of courage and self-acceptance. Congratulations on making it this far down the road and truly coming to terms with your sexuality.

Coming out can be an incredibly nerve-racking thought, but keep in mind that you are not alone at any time. Self-acceptance is the first step, and until you achieve that, you won’t be ready to come out to the general public. When are ready, however, you will know when to do it. There isn’t exactly a “right time” to come out, there isn’t a best way to do it either. A lot of people today come out over text, Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, etc… And that is perfectly fine if you choose to do so. It can be much easier to do than having a talk with your friends about it before them having any prior knowledge. However, when telling your family, it might be more appropriate to do it face to face rather than letting them find out by the means of the Internet.

Telling people your true feelings is never easy, and when it comes to your sexuality it can be even more difficult. You need to remember that you are who you are, and nobody can change that. Be proud of who you are and don’t let anybody stand in the way of that. Of course there will be people who will congratulate you, support you and people who will be happy for you – but there will also be people who will resent you and your sexuality. These people may try to hurt your self esteem with hateful comments, but don’t let this effect you or stop you from carrying out your life as you wish. These people are generally insecure and are filled with these negative emotions because they fear difference.

Pros of coming out:
- You won’t have to hide your true feelings anymore
- You can have public relationships
- You can be yourself around whoever, whenever
- You may feel as if “the weight has been lifted off of your shoulders”
- Coming out can give you a lot of self-confidence, knowing that you had the courage to follow through with it.
- It can inspire other people to live their lives how they wish; freely and openly.
- You may feel closer to your true friends, and form new bonds with them since you have confided this in them.

Cons:
- People will judge you
- You may hear anti-homosexual comments, which can hurt your feelings
- The fear of rejection can greatly effect you, and may stop you from following through with your decision
- Actually being rejected by friends, colleagues, acquaintances and possibly some family members

Remember that you are not alone, and that your true friends will support you every step of the way. All of us here at VT will do the same; we are here to help, support and be that friend whenever you are in need.

I wish well with your journey coming out and letting the world know how you feel, remember that I, and the rest of VT, are always here for you.

Lets hear those coming out stories!!

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #2
Scarface
Retired Administrator

Scarface's Forum Picture

Name: Ronnie
Default Re: ** Coming Out Tips; Share Your Story! **

Now this is some good tips man. Its comforting and its reality. Nothing long or drawn out, its something a lot of people need to hear, wonderful job.

Contact me if you need to talk. I'm always here to help all
you have to do is be honest.

Never Let Go
Act as if it were IMPOSSIBLE to fail.
<3 Mikey
The Need For Speed!

R&G Forever until it turns gray...then it will still thrive
I<3 TheVTStaff
Smart ass #1
Supportive Presence
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #3
Electra Heart
Awesome Poster

Electra Heart's Forum Picture

Name: Electra

Really sweet Mikey, awesome. I would share mine, but... I don't think I'm done the process yet...

Last edited by Electra Heart; May 4th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Electra Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Rayquaza
Sky High Pokémon

(Lol the post here has become outdated)

I told my friends I was bi and they didn't really care. I plan on telling on parents when the time is right.

Last edited by Rayquaza; June 21st, 2014 at 04:43 AM.
Rayquaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #5
Smeagol
Awesome Poster

Smeagol's Forum Picture

Name: Maeve

This year, I came out as being a homoromantic asexual. Phewh that's a long label... I went through a period of time when I thought I was biromantic and then panromantic. I didn't have to 're-come out' (that would have been embarassing ) because yes, I am homoromantic. I just told my mom and dad and my brother. Then, I told a friend at school, and I got overheard. Well, some people give me heck about it, they're like, you're lesbian, you wanna see my ass? But whatever. People are like that. Be out and proud
Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #6
knightmare

knightmare's Forum Picture

Name: Jared

Well just recently I started to get more comfortable with myself and my sexuality, I really used to hate myself because of it. I honestly would cry myself to sleep at nights and ask myself, "Why me? Why am I a fag?". The older I got the more I realized that there is nothing I can do about my sexuality and instead I should accept myself for who I am, and that's what I did.

This year I slowly started opening up to the girls in my neighborhood whom I've known my entire life. At first it was a little awkward but very quickly everything went back to normal, which was a huge relief, I was expecting huge changes in my friendship. I'm still slowly coming out, I haven't told my mom or any of my friends who are male, but I'm confident that I'll make progress.
knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #7
Dreaming Cannibal
Member+

Dreaming Cannibal's Forum Picture

Location: somewhere in this universe or am i not in this universe?

When I came out... Messy story.
I just had my first girlfriend ever, and my sister insisted I had to tell my parents. So I did, I came out as bisexual and my dad of course the usual ignored me and my mother declared it a phase.

When I came out in school… lol funny story. A not-so-close-friend asked me, after the last bell in high school, as I was walking away from her if I was a lesbian. I, because I have no sense of public and private space decided to shout my answer. In the middle of a hallway. A hallway filled with a bunch of students.

If I got hate I just ignored it. My best friend didn't care and I was happy.

Another close-related subject.
On the lis of pros: "You can have public relationships" should be in a different colour. This really is not about you only it would also be about your partner and if your partner isn't out the relationship wouldn't be strictly public. However it is a pro when both sides of the relationship are out.

II
II
II
II
II
II
Once again I dream of eating your flesh
i have other dicks in my mind now
Dreaming Cannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #8
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

Ironic how I posted this thread before I actually came out to anybody. I guess you could say that I came out to a few people from here, but that's one of the purposes for this site

Not too long ago I finally accepted the fact that I'm gay and that nobody, not even myself, can change my feelings and that what makes me happy will continue to do so. I had a lot of support from Jon (or Donkey as some of you know him by) and Ronnie (Scarface), which has really stuck with me and it helped me get to the point where I felt ready to start the process. Today, I decided, was the day to do it. I was talking with Jon and I wasn't really sure if I was actually going to go through with it, his support really got me going, and I promised myself that I was going to follow through. I told two of my friends, two of my best friends rather, and they took it very well. I told a girl and a guy, the guy I was a little unsure of telling, but it worked out well. Very nice feeling to know that I'm accepted by my best friends, and to know that I have that support.

Thank you all who have backed me up and helped me out with all of this, I love you all. Thank you Jon and Ronnie for being right there and getting me to this point, it means the world to me.

I'll post more when I continue on with this process

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
Jon was here
*Ali*-
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #9
StoppingTime
Retired Administrator

StoppingTime's Forum Picture

Name: Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolBeans View Post
Ironic how I posted this thread before I actually came out to anybody. I guess you could say that I came out to a few people from here, but that's one of the purposes for this site

Not too long ago I finally accepted the fact that I'm gay and that nobody, not even myself, can change my feelings and that what makes me happy will continue to do so. I had a lot of support from Jon (or Donkey as some of you know him by) and Ronnie (Scarface), which has really stuck with me and it helped me get to the point where I felt ready to start the process. Today, I decided, was the day to do it. I was talking with Jon and I wasn't really sure if I was actually going to go through with it, his support really got me going, and I promised myself that I was going to follow through. I told two of my friends, two of my best friends rather, and they took it very well. I told a girl and a guy, the guy I was a little unsure of telling, but it worked out well. Very nice feeling to know that I'm accepted by my best friends, and to know that I have that support.

Thank you all who have backed me up and helped me out with all of this, I love you all. Thank you Jon and Ronnie for being right there and getting me to this point, it means the world to me.

I'll post more when I continue on with this process
Congrats Mikey!!

Mikey was here

Elysium was here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan
WILL HOUSING CRISIS CAUSED BY COMMIE HOMOSEXUALIST-ABORTIONIST MARXIST IMMIGRANTS AND WELFARE CHEATS FROM RACIST ANTI-BRITISH EU CAUSE TB RATE FROM VACCINES TO RISE?!
StoppingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #10
Donkey
Retired Administrator

Donkey's Forum Picture

Name: Jon

Well I've pretty much known for the last five years I have feelings for the same sex - stronger feelings than for the opposite sex. It was only in the past year or two that I came to terms with the fact I'm actually gay and it wasn't something I could really shy away from much longer. I was rejecting those feelings and trying to wait it out and see how it came together, I tried everything. Trying to masturbate over girls, had girlfriends and just tried to block any homosexual thoughts. I can confirm that doing that simply doesn't work. So eventually I just said to myself I was gay, some time at the beginning of 2011 or the end of 2010. That wasn't going to change, and I was going to have to accept it.

I talk to people over the Internet a lot, while I have good friends at school and in "real life" too, I liked and continue to like the comfort of being able to tell people things without regret or fear of the repercussions. I became and continue to be a prominent member on one of the largest teen forums on the Internet, and that was where I first made it pretty clear I was gay. I guess it felt good to know that other people knew who I really was. It still does, and I still talk to those people daily. But I wanted to get acceptance in real life too, and I wanted to stop hiding things from the people I felt closest to in real life.

Firstly I made it clear my good friend David, who I've known for some years and who didn't really understand my sexuality before as I didn't make it clear at all. It wasn't hard to tell him since he kind of knew I wasn't straight and he is gay himself, so that wasn't a huge deal. He's been the biggest person in my life in terms of friends though, and I respect him almost universally. He had no problems with it of course and we were cool. It felt nice being a little more open about that, and I don't really know why I hid that from him in the first place. In the end, I don't think I was really hiding it but more just having not come out to myself I couldn't tell someone I thought I was gay if I didn't think I was.

It took some balls to tell my school friends, who I see every day. I knew who I was going to tell first. A pretty close friend who actually had two gay godfathers. I knew he wasn't homophobic, but I was still kind of nervous about how it'd affect our friendship since he is obviously straight and yeah... I just didn't know if he'd make some more subtle assumptions or whatever. Turns out he didn't. I decided to tell him over Facebook chat one night, there wasn't really a right time otherwise and I didn't want to do it with other people around or even close. My heart rate shot up when I did it, but eventually that was cool. He thought I was joking at first since I am pretty straight acting and unpredictable, but once I told him I wasn't he was cool about it. It didn't really seem to matter to him at all, but I brought the subject up later just to clarify it with myself. Nothing changed. Only I really cared, and after a few days of getting over the fact he knew I didn't anymore.

I left it a while before telling my other closest friend at my school. I actually told him on Christmas Day I think via Facebook Chat again since I was up North with my grandparents, didn't plan to do it then but it just happened. We had a long conversation about all kinds of things and me opening up to him actually made us closer. I guess that's the way things turn out. It was nice to do and made the friendship a little stronger. I knew he'd be accepting too and I felt good after telling him.

I told about 10 of my school friends in the space of a couple of months, and every single one was accepting and didn't break my trust and my faith in them that they wouldn't tell anyone else. That meant a lot and it became much easier to tell people; I was almost doing it casually by the end and that felt good. I decided it was time to start work on a few family members before I came out to everybody. I called my grandmother and we discussed a trip to Prague in the Summer, the job I had planned and a few other things. At the end of the call I decided to tell her and she was very supportive and nice about it. She's a real nice woman and I really love her, she was so supportive and I knew that I could tell her and she would only be good about it.

So I met someone called Max about a month and a half ago, and I had him over one night around then. I had thought my brother was out the house but turns out he was just in the garden. Max and I went downstairs into the study and kind of looked a little gay cuddling but I guess it could still look like friends.

A few days later, one of my school friends said she'd been out with my brother to get stoned one evening and that my brother had said he thought I might be gay and that he'd seen me in the garden. it immediately pissed me off that he told a group of people rather than confronting me first, so I got home that day and just told him almost without hesitation in the kitchen. He didn't mind at all and turns out he wasn't really being entirely serious when he said it. It was a good way of telling him, he didn't really care much. He said it was a bit of a shock but that it didn't really affect him much and then it wasn't really mentioned too much again except if we were just in a conversation about telling my dad. I'm glad he only saw it as a part of me and it didn't change the way he looked at me as a brother.

So then I was pretty confident with this whole thing. Soon enough after that, or around that time, Max and I were in a relationship. I was becoming completely comfortable with my sexuality and we were holding hands in my village and stuff so I guess it was time that I made it official as it were. I posted a Facebook status thanking the people I'd come out to and telling all of my Facebook friends I was gay. I don't have my dad on Facebook or other family so that was still to come later, but it was a big step. The response was really good and a lot of people expressed their support by messaging me and things like that. The only negative thing that came of it was a few silent calls from a blocked number that same evening but to be honest it didn't really bother me, I just thought someone was being a bit pathetic.

So as time went on, people were showing more support. It was all good. Everyone knew now. The Facebook status got something like over 40 likes, people seemed to be real supportive and I celebrated my first day of being openly gay with a hazelnut latte, away from my usual mint mocha, just to pertain to the stereotype. It felt good. People knew and I could be open with things now. This was Easter break so I wasn't at school, that was my only concern.

I changed my relationship status on Facebook and that weekend I called my dad up to talk to him while we were decorating. I said "I need to talk to you later, by the way" and he questioned me about it a lot, asking me what it was. Eventually it became most convenient not to talk to him later but just to wait until my siblings were out the room. It took a while for the words to come out of my mouth but they did and he immediately asked how I knew, that life would be difficult and a bunch of other things like that. A few minutes later he kind of accepted it and we had a little chat, then went downstairs for lunch.

It was a little odd because he was actually happier and more friendly after I had told him than usual. He seemed happy to know, which I didn't really expect. But it was pretty nice and I didn't feel that awkward. It was quite nice, and I really did appreciate that reaction a lot since I was pretty anxious about it. A few days later he wanted to make sure I knew about protection and the risks of anal sex, and a bunch of that kind of stuff. We went through it all much to I think both of our embarrassment and awkwardness.

And then just tonight we had a chat about a bunch of things. The future of our lives and how things were going, and we talked about my sexuality a bit. He said he didn't really find it natural but that he thought everyone was somewhere on the bisexuality spectrum and we really are all just chemicals. He basically said that while he didn't understand it "a woman's body is very nice," he said, he was accepting of it and I guess that was all that matters. I asked him what he'd think if I brought home a guy and he got a bit weirded out; he said he'd find it odd and we discussed that thought a bit. I mean, yeah, I understand where he's coming from. In his position I'd probably think the same so it's just something I think we both need to get used to.

Now I'm back at school and everyone knows, including some teachers and things like that. It'll spread more eventually but no one has made any homophobic comments and no one treats me any differently, we can all kind of have a joke about it and it's a much nicer feeling for me to be more open about things. It was all really worth it and I'm very appreciative of the support I got from the people around me and just how lucky I am to have those people.

Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #11
Lyra Heartstrings
Banned

Name: Blake

As of now, only 3 people know of my sexuality. Ironically, they are all girls.
This is how it went:
1. At around 3 AM, I mustered up guts, grabbed my phone, and sent the longest text of my life. It involved allot of "your my best friend, so you deserve to know this.." and "you can't tell anyone, okay?" at the end, I told her. Well, she didn't text me back.
For a day.
Monday, I went up to her, and just looked at her. She hugged me, and said:
"No matter what you are, I'll love you like my brother." It..it was amazing, quite honestly. I'd never felt happier.
2 and 3, done at the same time. I was hanging out with my other 2 best friends, and I closed my eyes, thinking. Obviously, I was thinking about whether or not to tell them. The decision was..hard. It's a touchy subject. What if they are homophobes? I decided it didn't matter. It was a simple "I'm bi." They just stared at me, shrugged..and one of them said-
"So? Your still awesome. Doesn't change my feelings of you." The other one nodded.
So yeah. It helps. Allot. If your ever scared of doing it-
Go for it.
Lyra Heartstrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #12
Jupiter
Banned

Name: Matty

Can't believe I did it.. but I came out to my friend.

It went a little like this (over text)

*le boring sobbing conversation finally over with my complaining and crying*
So, I wonder if the high school is ready for a flambuoyant faggoty kid like me next year.

Her- But you aren't gay.

Me- I've been meaning to talk to you about that.

Her- What are you saying?

Me- I'm bisexual...

Her- Oh. So, wait, are you kidding yourself with Maggie?

Me- no... I am not.

*conversation goes on*

So one person in real life knows.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #13
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Mine is pretty simple actually. I finally told my dad and all he said was "Excellent, what's her name?" and my mum was not surprised. Actually, my mum's response was:

"You know, this is the age where all the boys start flocking around the girls and you've just never shown any interest."

So that went pretty well. I sort of just said I came out to my parents on FB and those who knew said congrats, those who didn't know were just like "oh, okay, nice". Almost 75% of my school is LGBT so I don't have that problem, lol.
Deleted User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #14
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

Really well done, guys Proud of you.

I've come out to two more friends since I posted in here the first time, and it's all gone very well. It hasn't changed any of my friendships, I was pretty scared about that. But overall it's gone great and I'm very lucky to have such accepting friends.

I'll post the whole story when I'm fully done with all of this.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
Jon was here
*Ali*-
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #15
Electra Heart
Awesome Poster

Electra Heart's Forum Picture

Name: Electra

So far, I've told my ex over gmail chat... she was fine with it. I told my one friend in real life when he came over quite casually. It went really well, he told me how it wouldn't matter to him if I "liked to fuck chickens." So, overall it's gone quite well Except the huge rock on my shoulders... which is my mother...
Electra Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #16
jjsmitty
Member+

Name: Call me Smitty

Well, I came out as Bi at 15 and pretty much shocked everyone, im athletic, competitive, pretty dextrous and a trainee mechanic so could carry myself off as a pretty convincing straight. I knew I liked guys way before that age and I had feelings for a guy throughout secondary school, but thats a later story.
Unfortunately I basically had no choice but to come out to my parents due to my (amateur) attempt at deleting my history, I left a rather large amount of gay and Bi porn
which my Dad found and confronted me one night. I wasnt ready and basically poured out that I liked guys and girls nd had known for awhile. My Dad didnt speak to me for a good week and my Mum acted as though nothing had happened. About a fortnight later my Dad TOLD me we were going shopping, and drove me to the beach ( 5 minutes away ) turned the engine off and said he and my mum didnt give two s**ts about what I was as long as I was happy, which was a massive relief.
Now I had to tell my friends before word got to them through family. I invited a four of my closest friends around (including aforementioned really hot guy for a sleepover type thing) and when calming down for the night just announced, in the dark, "i'm Bi." Three of them turned around and for a couple of minutes asked me if I was sure etc and then were like OK, and went to sleep. Really hot guy didnt move so I thought he'd fallen asleep beofe i'd said it, so I thought I had to tell him in the morning.
Morning came and everyone got up as normal like nothing was different, and I tried to corner really hot guy, which I did when he was brushing his teeth in the bathroom, I basically just blurted out that I was bi and he said "I know, I heard last night" -awakward silence - "I'm Bi aswell" he said, I was like OMG, and we hit it off and have been together for the past 2 years, RESULT!
Word eventually got round school and everyone was quite shocked, a couple of good friends I havent spoken to since, but the majority didnt care after about a week.
Some people think "coming out" is going to ruin their world, what I experienced is the opposite, it made me feel better about myself and allowed me to stop living a lie. It also lead to the best thing in my life, aforementioned really hot guy, and probably allowed him to confess his true feelings aswell. I'd reccomend it to anyone, but my advice, tell your parents first before they find out for themselves, dont tell the school first as word may filter back and it could catch you off guard.
I hope there's something in here someone can make use of.
Aim High.
jjsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #17
Harley Quinn
Puddin'

Harley Quinn's Forum Picture

Name: Siobhan

Mine is pretty easy to follow (bear in mind I go to an all girls school and sixth form);

I didnt come out, I fell out on my face with someone else outing me. That was year 8-9 rumours started and at that time I was just like "yeah whatever, dicks." it later turned out the girl who outed me only did it because she was gay and scared. I then came out properly to Facebook on national coming out day like 3 years ago, it got a load of likes and comments that were supportive, some weren't shocked and I got the "omg you're gay?" comments.

After that the whole school practically knew and those that didn't asked and I'd just tell it straight up (no pun intended). In year 10/11 english we had to do a biography so I chose to write about being gay, ended up getting an A* for it which was weird because my teacher wasn't sure the exam board would accept it as coursework. So that's how most of the teachers found out. Then it was year 11 leaving week and we had our shirts signed and what not and all over mine was " I LOVE YOU, YOU'RE MY ONLY GAY FRIEND" and many other things like that. So my teacher was going to sign my shirt and he saw that and went "why does you shirt have gay all over it?" and the whole class synchronously said "BECAUSE SHE IS GAY" to which he laughed and gave me a hug. My re teacher just ignored it and went "I already knew" in the corridor after lesson. So that's how teachers took it. They're great.

Parents was the hard one, so I did what I do best. That's writing letters. It was 22nd December 2011 and I wrote this letter to my mum and dad which was a very emotional thing for me to do and I was crying as I wrote it. Mainly because I'm Irish and so my family are strict Catholics. I wrote in it how I didn't want to disappoint anyone and that I was so sorry for ruining their whole family plan. I folded it after I finished writing it and left it downstairs next to the computer where I knew dad would read it (my brother did sneaky like). When dad came home from work, it was like 4am and I knew he read it. The next day nothing was said, then on Christmas Eve he went to me "I read your letter by the way" at this point I was shitting myself. He continued with "you're my daughter okay, no matter what you do and what your choices are in life, I will always support you. If you're happy then I'm happy, that's all that matters. You'll always be my little girl and I'll still walk you down the aisle". I was literally drowning in my own tears I was so emotional.

So now everyone that's important to me knows and it's not a big deal, I'm the only lesbian in my year and everyone still loves me. It was hard at the start but everyone was young, now it's great and I can't believe how free I became.

Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

[Emerald Dream] if I had a 30 minute orgasm, I would probably need to sleep for a week

~Stevennn

*Ali*
Harley Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #18
Lovemeorleaveme

Lovemeorleaveme's Forum Picture

Name: Hailee

I came to terms with myself being bi about 2 weeks ago.I think ive kinda known it since september, but ive a crush on a guy from then until about 2 months ago.
Since the beginning of the school year, up until me coming to terms i would battle off my thoughts, like if i thought a girl had nice boobs i whould think
" nononono i dont actuy think that, im not lesbian, no way, im just tired" and so on, i finaly stopped denying it right before my birthday, and my birtday slumber party, nothing happened then exept for the fact that i felt guilty for not telling any of the girls there who i knew were all 100% trustworthy but i wasnt ready, but i also knew there was no way i could stay in the closit compleatly for long.
i didnt.
about a week later and less then a week ago i told my best friend since kindergarten over fb, telling her felt safe, we went to different schools (i moved in gr6) so she didnt hang out with anyone i knew or who knew me, we had been friends for as long i could remember.
i told her and to tell the truth she wasnt AS suppotive as i had hoped for, but its more that she doesnt understand that its not somthing u can train your mind to stop thinking,thing, then a "eww gross get away from me!!" thing.
Lovemeorleaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #19
Maverick
Retired Administrator

Maverick's Forum Picture

February 2009 I posted this...

Quote:
Today I came out to my mom, dad, and sister.

There was some shock at first. My dad wasn't really thrilled or had the best reaction when I told him. Him and my mom went out for awhile after I told them. The short time away did some good.

By the time they came back home they told me they were ok with it, nothing has changed, and they are still behind me. My sister knows too and feels the same way.

It felt awkward at first but I feel good now. I think what really pressed me to do it was that I just didn't care anymore what their reaction would be. I just decided I would live with whatever happened. I do admit after I said it I immediately regretted doing it but I'm glad I did now. My dad even told me he respected me for having the guts to say it.

So overall I say it went very well. This is coming from a family that really didn't have anything positive to say about gay people.

If you ever decide to come out, they may not react the way you would like them too, but give them time because after it sinks in, it may change. Sometimes it won't though. They may try to question your certainty but stick to your guns and make it clear that you're sure.
So from February 2009 to today May 17th, 2012... after I told them I was gay over 3 years ago we haven't talked about it since. The only thing thats changed is that nobody talks about girlfriends or girls. Otherwise after all these years its remained silent... My sister hasn't said anything nor my dad. My mom is dead now so thats put to rest.

I really regret the fact that after taking all that courage to tell them I didn't incorporate it into my life somewhat. I mean I know they have to still remember obviously but I feel like once I get into a serious relationship and tell them about it, its going to be like opening an old wound since its remained silent all this time. To be honest I still feel slightly pathetic and a little cowardly that in a way I took one step forward and another few steps back since I'm still in the dark shadows about it.

Its not all doom and gloom though... Late last year I told my cousin that I'm really close with personally and in age that I was gay. It went completely well. Despite the setbacks it makes me quite happy that I can be honest with him.

Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #20
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
February 2009 I posted this...

So from February 2009 to today May 17th, 2012... after I told them I was gay over 3 years ago we haven't talked about it since. The only thing thats changed is that nobody talks about girlfriends or girls. Otherwise after all these years its remained silent... My sister hasn't said anything nor my dad. My mom is dead now so thats put to rest.

I really regret the fact that after taking all that courage to tell them I didn't incorporate it into my life somewhat. I mean I know they have to still remember obviously but I feel like once I get into a serious relationship and tell them about it, its going to be like opening an old wound since its remained silent all this time. To be honest I still feel slightly pathetic and a little cowardly that in a way I took one step forward and another few steps back since I'm still in the dark shadows about it.

Its not all doom and gloom though... Late last year I told my cousin that I'm really close with personally and in age that I was gay. It went completely well. Despite the setbacks it makes me quite happy that I can be honest with him.
For me the best part about telling anybody was the fact that I now felt like I could totally be honest with them, and I've grown closer with the few friends that I have told. Telling your family at all is a massive step forward and I hope to get to that point sooner than later. Well done by taking that step, it's not something to feel pathetic about, you did more than a lot of people can say they have.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
Jon was here
*Ali*-