Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 24th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #1
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike
Default A Guide to Safe Sex & FAQ

Safe Sex

Condoms: What are they and why are they important?

A condom is a sheath, generally made out of rubber (latex) that can be worn on the penis during sex. Using a condom can prevent pregnancy and prevent the spreading/contraction of STI’s (sexually transmitted infections). Using a condom can be the difference between being a teen parent or not and spreading/contracting an STI or not. The embarrassment, the awkward conversations with parents and the shame can all be avoided by practicing safe sex.

Who should supply the condom? Why?

Some women believe that it’s the man’s job to supply the condom and some men think that it should be the woman’s job. In reality, if you always want to be prepared, you should be able to supply them no matter what your sex is. If you're not responsible enough to sort out contraception, you're not responsible enough to be having sex. If you're sleeping with someone, you should have enough respect for your partner to protect him or her.

What if I don’t have any condoms?

If you are, or want to be, sexually active you should invest in buying a few. Although other methods of contraception (such as the pill) are also effective, using a condom can reduce the risk of contracting a sexually transmitted infection. If you're single, buying condoms might be wise just incase you get caught up in the moment – you wouldn’t want to be stuck in a situation where you have to either ruin the moment by not having a condom, or risk pregnancy and the spreading of an STI.

Where can I purchase them?

Condoms can be purchased at virtually any drug store, grocery store, pharmacy; most gas stations/convenience stores also sell them and medical clinics may even give them out for free. Some schools may also give them away to students who ask. Asking for and buying condoms can be embarrassing and pretty scary, especially for teens, but they are available to everybody for a reason – it’s one of the safest ways to practice sex. No matter where you buy or receive condoms, they shouldn’t say anything personal about it or make any kind of remark towards you.

But there are so many different kinds! Which ones are the best?

There are a lot of different kinds of condoms, but don't worry. Here's a list of the different types you can get:

Material - Most condoms are made from latex or polyurethane. The latex ones are a little stronger, so they give slightly better protection from STI’s and pregnancy. Very small amounts of people are allergic to latex, though, so they use polyurethane ones.

Size - Condoms come in lots of different sizes. You can get longer or shorter or wider or narrower ones. If a packet of condoms says 'large' or 'small', this is usually talking about the width of the condom, not the length. Be honest! A condom that is too big may come off, and a condom that's too small might break. Most condoms that you buy in shops and vending machines will be a standard size.

Lubricated - Some condoms are not lubricated at all, some have silicone-based lubricants, some have water-based lubricants. Some condoms are lubricated with a spermicidal solution (see below).

Spermicidal - Some condoms have a spermicidal lubricant. This can help to reduce the likelihood of pregnancy. One of the most common spermicides, though, is something called nonoxynol-9. This is a chemical that some people are sensitive to, and if it's used regularly it can cause irritation and increase the chance of HIV infection. Condoms lubricated with Nonoxynol 9 should not be used for anal sex.

Ribbed - These condoms have little ridges running around them. These can make sex more pleasurable for both partners, and if they are used correctly (see below) then they're just as safe as ordinary ones. Ribbed condoms are the answer for people who complain "But I can't feel anything if I put on a condom . . . "

Coloured - The natural color of latex is a creamy white, so lots of condoms have different colors - some of them even glow in the dark. Again, if they are used properly, they're fine.

Flavored - Some sexually transmitted infections can be passed on by orally, so it's a good idea to put on a condom for oral sex. Sometimes, people don't like the smell and taste of latex, so they use flavored condoms. These can taste of anything from strawberry to curry! Flavored condoms shouldn't be used for vaginal or anal sex, though, unless they have the kite mark sign in the UK and Europe, or are FDA approved in the USA.

Reservoir tipped- Most condoms have a reservoir tip to catch semen; some have a regular tip. The reservoir tipped condoms have a pocket at the tip, which fills with semen when you ejaculate while the regular tipped condoms are simpler and do not have the pocket. If they have a reservoir tip, be sure to pinch the end when putting them on - if they have air inside them, they can break or pop when you're having sex.

So how good are they really?

There's lots of myths about how good or bad condoms are. If they're used correctly, condoms are about 94% - 97% (depending on which study you look at) effective at preventing pregnancy and they're nearly 100% effective at preventing transmission of HIV. Some people say that some viruses can 'pass through' latex - that's not true.
They won't help against crabs, though, and some sexually transmitted infections (like herpes) can be caught through oral sex with someone who is infected, so you need to use condoms for this, too

Do I really need to wear a condom for oral sex? What about anal sex?

Yes! You should wear a condom regardless if you are having vaginal or anal sex as well as oral sex. Although you cannot get pregnant from anal or oral sex, you can still contract all of the same infections that you can from performing vaginal intercourse.

What about wearing two condoms, will I be better protected?

The answer to this question is no. Wearing two condoms (one over the other) will only result in friction, which can break and tear them both of them, making them useless and ineffective

What is a female condom?

A female condom a pouch with inner and outer ring which, used during sexual intercourse, provides significant protection against sexual transmitted infections. Using Female Condom can reduce up to 97.1 % reduction in the risk of HIV infection resulting from sexual intercourse (very similar to the male condom which can reduce the risk up to 97-98%)

What is 'lube'?

Lubricant or 'lube' is liquid or jelly, which is sometimes used to make sex go a little more smoothly. Quite often being tense or rushing things can make sex difficult or painful, so try to relax and take your time. You might also want to use extra lubrication, like KY Jelly, ID Lube or Liquid Silk, which you can buy from supermarkets or drug stores. But if you are using a condom, then you must use a water-based lubricant like KY jelly, and not an oil-based lubricant like Vaseline. Lubrication should only be applied to the outside of the condom, because if applied to the inside it can result in it slipping off during sex.

Okay, so how do I go about putting one on?

Firstly, you should put the condom on before there's any contact between the penis and your partner's body. Fluids released from the penis even very early on in sex, such as pre-ejaculate (or pre-cum), can cause pregnancy or transmit an STI because it contains smaller amounts of sperm.

When the penis is erect, open the condom wrapper – do not use your teeth! This can cause tiny rips in the condom, which you might not even notice. Unroll the condom a little over the top of the penis - make sure that the roll is on the outside – if it's backwards then the condom won't unroll. If there's any air trapped in the condom, this can cause it to break, so make sure you pinch the end to squeeze any air out. Then just firmly roll the condom down as far as you can. If you want to use any lube, put it on the outside of the condom and make sure its water-based lubricant, such as KY. Oil based lubricants can weaken the condom and make it break.

What if it breaks?

If a condom breaks while you're having sex, then stop right away and put a new condom on. While you're having sex you can sometimes feel if a condom has broken, but not always, so you should check occasionally that it's okay. If you think some semen has escaped from the condom you might want to think about talking to your doctor about getting emergency contraception and a HIV/STI test.

Birth Control Pills

Birth control is a way for men and women to prevent pregnancy. There are many different methods of birth control, including hormonal contraception such as "the pill." Women take the pill by mouth to prevent pregnancy, and when taken correctly, is up to 99.9% effective. However, the pill does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV (the virus that causes AIDS). The latex male condom provides the best protection from most STDs. Other types of combined estrogen and progestin hormonal contraception include the patch and the vaginal ring.

Abstinence is the safest way to go when it comes to sex, but let’s face it, people have always and will always have sex, both for reproductive and recreational purposes. You should ALWAYS use protection, or else you are putting yourself and your partner at risk.

I hope this answered any questions you may have had! Feel free to post any questions/comments you may still have. Be smart, be safe!

Credit:
- Mike (ImCoolBeans) For writing this.
- The old Safe Sex Sticky.
http://www.avert.org/teens-condoms.htm
http://www.female-condoms.org/

http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-contr...-control-pills

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator

Last edited by ImCoolBeans; March 9th, 2012 at 12:01 AM.
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #2
Scarface
Retired Administrator

Scarface's Forum Picture

Name: Ronnie
Default Re: ** A NEW Guide to Safe Sex & FAQ **

Thanks buddy for the sticky, I'm sure it's going to be very helpful to anyone who needs it, very informational and descriptive. Thanks for your hard work on this. It's nice to see some newer stickies

Contact me if you need to talk. I'm always here to help all
you have to do is be honest.

Never Let Go
Act as if it were IMPOSSIBLE to fail.
<3 Mikey
The Need For Speed!

R&G Forever until it turns gray...then it will still thrive
I<3 TheVTStaff
Smart ass #1
Supportive Presence
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #3
plebble
Great Poster

plebble's Forum Picture

Unless you want STD's or a child, be smart and wear a fucking condom... I don't see why you wouldn't :s

Last edited by plebble; April 2nd, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
plebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Rayquaza
Sky High Pokmon

Oh god, I never realised there was a sticky on this! It's well informed and carries a lot of information about condoms which generally get changed with rumours, so it's good that it's obvious and written simply.

You could mention dental dams too, since they're like condoms and is another barrier method, protecting against STDs.
Rayquaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #5
Cognizant
Smoothie King

Cognizant's Forum Picture

Name: Patrick

Nice writing, Mike!
Cognizant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #6
ramgoat647

Name: Josh

Very goog thread. It's things like these that will hel inform teens to make better decisions when having sex.
ramgoat647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 06:33 PM   #7
PinkFloyd
Steve Jobs' Bitch

PinkFloyd's Forum Picture

Name: Rob
Thumbs up Re: ** A NEW Guide to Safe Sex & FAQ **

sooooo sti like the car?

nah just kidding, good job on the explanation, I think we all needed this, thankshttp://www.virtualteen.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

"My mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." Fred Rogers
PinkFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Iron Man
U.S. Navy

Iron Man's Forum Picture

Name: Skyler*

Don't be silly, wrap your willy!

"Its not the top that's douchey. Its the person wearing it."
-Charles, on striped tank tops.

I own Harry Styles.
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:12 AM   #9
eggy101
Member+

eggy101's Forum Picture

Name: Jake

Wow really informitaive, i though i knew everything(cocky me) thnx very much
eggy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Heavyrain4life
Member+

Name: Justin
Location: Chesterfield with my dad, grandmom, and (soon to be) stepmom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Don't be silly, wrap your willy!
Don't be daft, protect your shaft!

Nothing can fill the void in my heart. The loss is great, but the fear of loss is even worse. I know how it feels to be hurt. I know how it feels to hate oneself. I know how it feels to be alone. And I want you to know... I'll do anything and everything I can to help. Just PM me. I'll be waiting.
Heavyrain4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #11
rachin2u42

rachin2u42's Forum Picture

Name: Rachel

very informative.. thanks
rachin2u42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #12
imcoolbro

imcoolbro's Forum Picture

Name: DeJohn
Default Re: A Guide to Safe Sex & FAQ

But condomns can break
imcoolbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #13
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcoolbro View Post
But condomns can break
That is probably mentioned in there about 8 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolBeans
If they're used correctly, condoms are about 94% - 97% (depending on which study you look at) effective at preventing pregnancy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolBeans
What if it breaks?

If a condom breaks while you're having sex, then stop right away and put a new condom on. While you're having sex you can sometimes feel if a condom has broken, but not always, so you should check occasionally that it's okay. If you think some semen has escaped from the condom you might want to think about talking to your doctor about getting emergency contraception and a HIV/STI test.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #14
pvanhouten

pvanhouten's Forum Picture

Name: Peter

Do you have to worry about STD's and STI's if you're both virgins?

Here to talk to about everything. PM me if you can.
pvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 08:47 PM   #15
Maria72k
Banned

Name: Maria

always use a jimmy
Maria72k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #16
ospinal

great tip...
ospinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #17
the mystical shaman
Junior Member+

Name: Jordan

Great informative post, good job!
the mystical shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #18
Whiskers

Name: Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanhouten View Post
Do you have to worry about STD's and STI's if you're both virgins?
Honestly I would because those diseases and infections can even be given from birth it is rare and uncommon but either don't use contraception have a risk, use contraception have a much much lower risk
Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #19
Uranus
Mah Home

Uranus's Forum Picture

Name: Thomas (Yung Merk)

This Is Fantastic Information! Thanks For Posting It!

#ThugLife
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #20
Resture

Name: Aaron

thanks
Resture is offline   Reply With Quote