Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 13th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Abyssal Echo
Lone Wolf

Abyssal Echo's Forum Picture

Name: Matt
Default are sexual abuse and sexual orientation related

a little back ground :

My father was beat on by his dad sexually abused by his mom and turned out Bi-sexual

My mom was molested by a teen age neighbor boy and later raped by her brother at age 8.... today she is not real interested in sex.

yes my Mother and Father were married when I was concieved.....unfortunately it was a result of spousal rape....No means NO regardless if you are married or not.

( so you can make sence of the age & time frame I started Kindergarden at 4)
I was molested by a 16 yr old boy at age 5 about 6 mos later mom & dad divorced. by the end of 5th grade my acting out was totally out of control.
as a result I got sent to an all boys school were the sexual abuse by 13 - 17 boys continued for most of 6th and part of 7th.

I've turned out gay.

so like the heading the question is Is sexual abuse related to a persons Sexual orientation ?
Abyssal Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Joshh97

Default Re: are sexual abuse and sexual orientation related

Urrrr. Probably. :/ I got sexually abused and I'm gay.

Joshh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Carlyle
Great Poster

Carlyle's Forum Picture

Name: Austin

Its theorized that it is. Part of your sexual orientation can be a lot of things, like the environment you grew up in and your upbringings. No one can tell you for certain that your situation is what made you turn out gay, even though it may contribute to it.
Carlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Malcolm Tucker
VT Lover

Malcolm Tucker's Forum Picture

Name: Mal

Since somewhere between 10% and 30% of minors are sexually abused, and approximately 1%-10% are homosexual, it's theoretically possible (although I highly, highly, highly doubt it) that victims of sexual abuse could account for the homosexuals in the world. However, it has been researched that homosexuality in adult life is more prevalent in victims of sexual abuse. However, research has shown this hypothesis to be inconclusive. It can go to the "born gay or developed gay" argument (which argues that people are born gay, or whether they become gay).

In short, there is no proof that being abused as a minor can cause someone to be LGBT in later life, but there is no proof that it doesn't. So there really isn't a yes or no answer to your question.

"[...] I mean the guy is an epic fuck-up. Hes so dense that light bends around him."
Malcolm Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #5
trzxv515
Junior Member+

Name: Toshi

I think so. I've heard enough stories from people who were sexually abused when they were still young saying that if not for those experiences, they wouldn't be what they are now. It doesn't only concern sexual orientations but also the overall personality of the person (e.g being extremely homophobic, depression, mental problems, etc.).

No amount of enemies really matter as long as you have one true friend by your side.

Sup guys! I just want to meet new people and hopefully turn strangers into friends!
trzxv515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #6
georgiamay
Awesome Poster

georgiamay's Forum Picture

Name: Georgia

I don't think sexual abuse "causes" homosexuality or bisexuality, but I think that for some people there could be a link. I know of a lot of gay and lesbian people that were raped/sexually abused by the opposite sex as kids, but I also know a lot of gay and lesbian people that weren't. I don't think one "causes" the other, but I think there could be link.

In short, I don't think we'll ever know the answer. Either way, this theory definitely doesn't account for every LGBT person in the world, because a lot of them weren't abused.
georgiamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #7
ben...

ben...'s Forum Picture

Name: Ben

I was never sexually abused as a kid. But my friends and I did play around with each other (touching etc...). At the time we didn't know what we were doing but we did do it a lot. I turned out bi, they other two straight. So I don't really know.

Live life. Try to love it. Bi
ben... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #8
Amaryllis
Awesome Poster

Amaryllis's Forum Picture

Name: Z

To be honest, I haven't really given this topic much thought. I suppose it does effect it -somewhat- but it also depends on the people involved and circumstance. Most of the males I know, in fact, all of the males I know, who've been sexually abused - are gay or bi.

Perhaps it's just a coincidence but males who've been sexually abused are more likely to be gay or bi but then again correlation isn't causation.

My mother was molested as a child but she's heterosexual - but then again, perhaps if sexual abuse were linked to sexual orientation, it might effect the homosexuality of a person who was born homosexual but I'm not sure.

I, myself, am not sexually attracted to any gender or sex. Well, I am, but not much. I don't desire sex or whatever it may be and attractive people don't turn me on. But I am attracted to both males and females, males mostly, though.

The point is, I don't think it really matters what your sexual orientation is - it isn't anyone's business and there really is no need to put a label on yourself. If you don't wish to be sexually active, that's okay. If you like people of the same sex, fine. If you like people of a different sex, sure. Or both, it doesn't really matter.

Who's to dictate what you do with your genitals.

"Never test the depth of water with both feet." - Some dude whose name I cannot remember
Amaryllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Aubrie

Aubrie's Forum Picture

Name: Aubrie

I apologize in advance for the novel haha.

We studied this in my college psychology class. Sexual orientation isn't completely understood when it comes to why someone isn't straight.

There are several theories, but the two most popular are 1.) people who are not straight have a depleted or completely missing chemical in their brain (will explain below) or 2.) many different factors influence: nature, nurture, environment, and social and cultural influences.

The first theory is based off of people who engage in incest. Scientists see a correlation in those who engage in incest and a certain chemical in the brain. They believe that this chemical stops a person from being attracted to close family members. Of the people who engage in incest who agreed to be tested for this, many of them had depleted levels of this chemical or none at all. Scientists believe that this is a chemical that we have in order to produce the healthiest offspring possible. The point to this is that some scientists believe that people who are bi/gay are missing a chemical similar to the one I mentioned. You can't have offspring with the same sex (or in the case of incest, you risk birth defects), so some believe that straight people have this other chemical that prevents them from being attracted to the same sex.

I'm not sure how much I support that theory. It sounds like it could be possible, but you have to remember: Correlation does not prove causation.

The second theory just says that everything influences a person's sexuality.

As humans, we have emotions, and we are taught that sex should be with someone whom you love. From a very early age, you were molested. It's possible that your brain has drawn the connection between boys -> sex = attraction/love.

On the other hand, I'm bisexual. I have been sexually abused by guys. I feel safer (as in I won't be abused) and less vulnerable with girls. I don't know if that's because I feel like men are way more likely to take advantage of my vulnerable state or if I was just born this way. I think it's a little bit of both. I always remember thinking that girls are attractive, but I never considered them to be possible romantic partners until I got older. Of course, this could be due to multiple reasons (i.e. I was too young to understand "love," I didn't know I was bi, I was taught that it's wrong to like the same sex, etc).

However, ,y mom was molested when she was young, but she is straight as can be.

Though I have drawn the connection that boys -> sex -> taken advantage of/abused/whatever you want to call it = pain. I don't know if that's why I like girls or not.

It could be related, but it may not be related. I've tried to give you scientific info, personal experiences, theories, etc. Scientifically speaking, we just simply don't know. Now it's up to you to make your own opinion/conclusion. I hope I've helped
Aubrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #10
Abyssal Echo
Lone Wolf

Abyssal Echo's Forum Picture

Name: Matt

I want to thank all that has taken the time to respond.

I know what I am...... I guess I was trying figure out the how or why I got here.

I really don't know if we as a people will ever know how or why. Just that it is.

At least I have accepted that I am Gay. This is who I am as a person. That as a person I need the same thing that everyone else needs and is looking for....thats love and to be loved.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain
Abyssal Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #11
canadaski
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt14 View Post
thats love and to be loved.
There's the ticket. I was never sexually abused and I'm gay. Everyone over analyzes their sexuality (believe me I know all about overanalysis). I want someone to love and that loves me back, I just can't picture having that kind of connection to a woman.

Sure there could very well be a connection between the two. Even though something horrible happened to you, it's a part of you. After all what are we without our memories; good and bad ones?

It would be interesting to know why I'm gay, but I guess I may never know. I read a book that had an interesting quote. "You eat life or life eats you"
If anybody's interested it's a great book and is called Desert Sons by Mark Kendrick.
canadaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #12
Kitty Purry
Awesome Poster

Kitty Purry's Forum Picture

Name: Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshh97 View Post
Urrrr. Probably. :/ I got sexually abused and I'm gay.
Same here.

Adios Amigos
Kitty Purry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 05:20 PM   #13
spfreak
Member+

Name: Joey

Not sure. I was sexually abused as a kid, and I am gay. Maybe they are connected, but I don't think it can really ever be proven.
spfreak is offline   Reply With Quote