Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 31st, 2011, 09:37 PM   #1
beebs
Member+

beebs's Forum Picture

Name: Laura
Default How did your parents find out? And how did they react?

I was just wondering about how your parents found out, and how they reacted?

I want to here stories as im thinking of letting my mum know, so any stories would be much thanked
beebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Kaius
Banned

Name: Aaron
Default Re: How did your parents find out? And how did they react?

Heres a thread with quite a few replies that may help you:
http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/sh...ng#post1194837
Kaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 07:25 PM   #3
jbraud

jbraud's Forum Picture

Name: Jaren

i told my mom last week after finding some broken razors and other sharp things in my room. she told me that she guessed that i did, and said that she wouldnt force me to get help or anything unless i told her i needed to. she also was very supportive and said she was gonna try to understand it better so that i could talk to her about it if i needed to. i will admit i was really surprised by her reaction cause i expected much worse

"Hold fast to your friends, be true to yourself, and stop trying to be just like somebody else Be yourself."
jbraud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Purplepeace

Purplepeace's Forum Picture

Name: Maria

The first persone who found out was my sister, in 2008: we were singing with SingStar (It was a Nirvana song, I still remember) and she saw the cut as I was holding the mic. She was very, very discreet and just told me "What happened?"
Well, my mom seems to be able to hear anything you say and she came up to me: I won't lie, it was awful. She screamed, told me I was sick and I needed to go to a therapist but I did not want to, I just kept telling her "I am not crazy".
Then, the morning after I went to another city for a concert with my choir and we never talked about it again till a few months ago.
I've always though she was convinced that I tried to kill myself, so I told her: "You know when yuo saw the cuts? I was trying to kill myself, I did it for years now."
And she told me: "I know." And I was like "What?!"
But than she told me that she always knew that I was a self cutter and that everybody is a self harmer in his own way. Obviously she was sad about but I started to go to a therapist (for other problems) a few months before and she told me she was sure that someday I will be able to be calm and to face problems in another way.

So, yes. At first she was mad but then she became very supportive.
Purplepeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 04:02 AM   #5
Mutibann

Mutibann's Forum Picture

The first time my mom found out, my friend told her cuz he was mad at me. It was really awkward because she showed me her scars from when she did it. When I started again I just told her cuz I thought she could help. She just told me to stop and made me promise not to do it again.
Mutibann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Aubrie

Aubrie's Forum Picture

Name: Aubrie

My mom has found out three times. Sorry this will be kind of long.

The first time she read my diary (sometime in late 2008). I came home from school one day and she came charging out of her room. She said, "Get your ass in my room!" I had absolutely no idea what she was going on about. When I got in there, she told me to undress. This of course shocked me completely. I got down to my tank top and panties, then she told me to stand on the bed; I did. She started grabbing at my arms and legs, twisting them over. I was still confused until she hissed, "I read in your diary that you cut yourself!" I don't really remember how I reacted. After checking me over and not finding anything (she has bad eyesight and didn't know what the scars looked like, so she couldn't see them), she got on my Yahoo! account and searched through my chat logs. She found one where I had talked about it with a friend and printed it out. In a mocking tone, she called down to my brother and said, "Your sister cuts herself." She took my phone and everything that I could potentially harm myself with. She kind of left me alone after that and didn't talk to me for a few days.

The second time I had tried to get help from my youth leader (April 22, 2009). She banned me from going after I came home late and I said, "Well, I'm sorry that I want to stop cutting." All hell broke loose. She called me stupid, said I'd never get into college/amount to anything, screamed, yelled, etc. I hid in my closet and cried for a good portion of the night. Once again she ignored me for a few days and took my phone. She gave me my phone back and apologized kind of. She was just angry because it was the anniversary of my dad's death.

The third time she found out because my friend told her dad, who is a close family friend (August 2009). I can't really remember how she reacted, but it wasn't too bad. She made me sleep in her bed and then took me to the hospital at the discretion of my family doctor. She got me into a therapist finally. The therapist helped her understand cutting, so my mom later apologized about all of the horrible things she said/did.

Hopefully your mom's reaction won't be that bad. To be honest, I suppose I forgive my mom, but it hurts me sooo much still. That was almost 3 years ago, and when I think about it, the words still cut through my heart.
Aubrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:44 PM   #7
foreverfree

Name: Breee .

i was laying down in my mom's room one day on the phone , and somehow she saw the cuts down my arm . I was so stupid to not hide them well enough then . All she told me was to not let them show up again . I was like wow mom thanks for asking if anything was wrong ..

Breee babehh.
14 / F / LA .
Ask me for my twitter name . I accept you as a friend only if you have a photo .
Mwahhhh !
xoxox .
foreverfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:58 PM   #8
bena3217

bena3217's Forum Picture

Name: Ben

me and my dad talked about problms and i threw the blade infrnt him and walked away and later had a talk with him...he wasnt mad he only helped and told me he is there for me and everything was fine...he reacted great and he also cried a little

Suicide only means there is one less beautiful and unique person on earth that deserved better! suicide is never the option!
bena3217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:20 PM   #9
jessicajess3

Name: jessica

My friends dad, my mothers boyfriend at the time, had suggested it to her. One day walking home from getting ice cream with her boyfriend and a few of my friends, she asked me what the scars were from, i was surprised by the question, as it had came out of no where. Then she took me behind everyone and i said "i know what your doing" and i didnt say anything and moved forward to walk with my friends. when we got home, she took me into the other room while my friends and her boyfriend were in the living room. She said "how long has this been going on?" and i said for a few months(which wasnt true, it had been going on for about a year and a half) i told her that it wasnt the right time to bring up the subject, considering none of my friends knew. She said she was sorry and she assumed they knew, after that her and her boyfriend went out. the next day my friends all went home, and she said we were going somewhere. i started to panic thinking she was going to put me in a mental hospital. We actually just went shopping, but while we were driving, she made me talk about it. i really didnt want to, and was embarrased and angry. She made me promise not to do it again. Now we dont really ever talk about it anymore.
jessicajess3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:34 PM   #10
sarah newman
Member++

Name: sarah

My parents found out 2 years ago and went mental. Screaming and shouting. So I tried to stop but couldn't so I did it less over last year but I become to do it much more lately and they both found out again from my school and shouted, grounded me, got me help, weren't supportive.
Sorry, but I couldn't lie to you.

...People try and seek help...
..I have given up trying..
..im controlling my lovely sharp razor..
...while theres to much blood...
..comin out of my skin..
.and still no one notices.
..how much pain im going through..
...so i still lay there all alone...
sarah newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #11
fire and water
Junior Member+

I think my mum knows. I know for a fact she reads whatever little things i write in my diary. I think she's seen them a few times. I think she's like, if i pretend they're not there they will go away. A few times she's handed me a jumper or something when i wear short sleeved t-shirts, i'm happy with that arrangement if she is. I think i heard her crying once though; the first time she saw them. I hide them as well as possible to try and protect her, i don't want to make her cry.

But you'd have to walk a thousand miles
In my shoes, just to see, What it's like, to be me
I'll be you, let's trade shoes Just to see what it'd be like To feel you're pain, you feel mine
Go inside each other's minds, Just to see what we'd find. Look at shit through each others eyes
Don't let them say you ain't beautiful
They can all get fucked, just stay true to you.
fire and water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #12
BlueEyedTiger...

Name: Emma

I told my mum in a letter (one of the worst things I ever did) I left it on the side before I went to bed and when I came down the next morning she ignored me until she took me to school, she asked why I did it, how long for? then she went back to ignoring me. a few days later she rang up doctors and made an appointment for me (I was 15) then gave me a piece of paper with questions on it and chocolate and told me to answer them honestly. The doctor told her I would grow out of it but I didn't tell him the truth, to this day she hasn't mentioned it again and that was over a year ago. Its as if she doesn't care.
BlueEyedTiger... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #13
Unfortunate1

Name: Jake

My best friend's mom checked his texts on his phone ( he forgot to delete them ) randomly, she does every month, and she saw a text about me cutting so she told him to tell me that I have to tell my dad or she would go to the principle, my dad, and the counsler. I ended up telling him by giving him all my knives and showing him and giving him a bullshit exuse for feeling guilty about my cousin wanted to commit suicide. yeah. I stopped cutting but, as you can see my profile pic, I have sorta taken up the habit again.

You must be sane to see insanity. Maybe you have to be insane to see sanity. But who listens to insane people?
I cut. I confess. Email me.
I'm 13, straight, guy. email me.
I'm agnostic. I basically screw religion right in the face. "Even if you exist, I will never know, so I don't care about you." That's agnostic.
Unfortunate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:56 PM   #14
Princess Ariel
Part of Your World

Name: Casey

My mom found out Saturday Morning. When my arm was dangling out of my bed.
I woke up.. Around 11 30 - 12 : 00 am, And my eyes went across a sign that said "Intervention".
I wasn't ready to tell her at the time, so I blamed it on my cat.
She still believes it... Or so I think...
Princess Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #15
foreverautumn.

foreverautumn.'s Forum Picture

Name: Autumn

I don't know how my mam found out, but she did, and she was very supportive.
One day we were driving and she just said, "I know that you've been cutting your arms." I didn't deny it, and she just asked whether my psychologist knew, I said yes, and she was just glad I was getting help. Later she tried to get me to show her but I wouldn't let her. I still don't talk about it with her, but she watches me quite closely these days.
foreverautumn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #16
xLegendofLink096x

xLegendofLink096x's Forum Picture

Name: Sarah

After a rough breakup, I carved "Love" from about my wrist to my elbow.
I went to grab something that was high up and my sleeve fell down and my stepmom saw it.
They signed me up for therapy and made me put Vitamin E oil on it to stop it from scarring.

Boldness be my friend.
-William Shakespeare
xLegendofLink096x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #17
stuckinmystraw

stuckinmystraw's Forum Picture

Name: Noelle

My mother started watching my depression and anorexia really closely and then noticed I was always wearing long sleeves or hoodies. Then I left a pair of scissors in the shower by accident a few times and she grabbed my wrists and forced me to tell the truth. It was off to the hospital immediately for me.
After the hospital there were a lot of body checks and treatment centers. I actually still cut today though, however she trusts me enough not to check. :X
stuckinmystraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #18
BluSapphireEyes

BluSapphireEyes's Forum Picture

Name: Alexandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebs View Post
I was just wondering about how your parents found out, and how they reacted?

I want to here stories as im thinking of letting my mum know, so any stories would be much thanked
The very first time she found out, I'm pretty sure I showed her the scars and said "look, Mom. This is how I feel. Every day." She told me to get over myself. That was almost 5 years ago and I'm still struggling, unfortunately. :\

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times; but only if one remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore
BluSapphireEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #19
Craig1995
Member++

Craig1995's Forum Picture

Name: Craig

My dad found the razors I had pulled apart in my dressing gown pocket but I do lots of things like that so they weren't surprised

Cough*

MCR <3 proud to be a killjoy
Gay out and proud xxx :3
Evanescence <3 xD
<3Sleepingwithsirens<3
Craig1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #20
Rawiyah
Junior Member+

Rawiyah's Forum Picture

Name: Alexis

My mom did not know until I was in the ER for ODing.
They forced me to strip so they could expose all of my self inflicted cuts and injuries and they told my parents about it...

I think if it weren't for that incident, they would have never known.

"I lay in the dark, thinking about all of my
'Friends' and their changes.
"
Rawiyah is offline   Reply With Quote