Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 11th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Microcosm
Awesome Poster

Microcosm's Forum Picture

Name: Dan
Default Telling the Teacher

This is a bullying thread.

There is a kid who always comes by my desk and slaps me in the face--not super hard, but it's annoying. He does weird stuff like sticks his fingers in my ear.

I've just sort of stopped reacting to it completely in hopes that it would make him stop, but he keeps doing it.

Anyways, I'm not sure whether I should tell the teacher or not. I know I'd get called a "pussy."

In this thread, I'd like to discuss what the right response to bullying is: Fighting back, telling the teacher, ignoring them, etc..

Also, is telling someone something you shouldn't do because it would make you look weak?

Personally, I hate the stigma against telling a teacher. Bullying is unacceptable and an authority figure should be able to step in without feeling like they're embarassing the victim.

Of course, there's the other side of that coin which is that being bullied and learning to stand up for yourself is helpful to character building.

Given all of this, I'm just not sure what to think or do. I'm so confused about what action to take.
Microcosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 07:38 PM   #2
Amethyst Rose
The Fragile

Amethyst Rose's Forum Picture

Default Re: Telling the Teacher

My first advice would have been to ignore him and not make a reaction as that's most likely what he's shooting for, but since you have already tried that, further action should be taken. Standing up for yourself is important, so what I would first do is tell him to stop and that you don't like what he's doing. If he still continues to do it, tell a teacher. Telling someone does not make you look weak - it shows you aren't just going to sit around and take what the bully's giving you and that you want it taken care of. Good luck and keep us updated

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world."
PM Me Ask Me [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desynchronized View Post
Gawd dammit the mods r so cruel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
I just food and I still have a hungry.
Amethyst Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 07:38 PM   #3
eric2001
Nice Poster

eric2001's Forum Picture

Name: Eric

Tell him, "You pay so much attention to me so you must like me in a very special way". He might think you're saying it's gay without saying so and stop all that. Besides, it might even be true anyhow.

PHAT ANIMAL KINGDOM
eric2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Microcosm
Awesome Poster

Microcosm's Forum Picture

Name: Dan

Thanks for the responses. I told the teacher today. He wasn't in class though so she'll talk to him tomorrow I assume.
Microcosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2016, 01:35 AM   #5
Shock96

Shock96's Forum Picture

Name: Matt

The attitude "snitches are b******" is unfortunately present even in adult life, not just school. But the thing is, the people that most often have this attitude outside of high school are usually immature, criminals, gang members, or all of the above.

You need to take action to stop it, which I see you have told your teacher recently- good for you! I assume you talked to him or told him to stop before you stopped reacting, and that didn't work. So what you did wasn't weak, or anything like that, it was just the reasonable next step.

If your teacher doesn't put a stop to it, don't be afraid to take it higher than them. Counselor, another teacher, principal, etc. I agree that learning how to stand up for yourself is important, but I would disagree with your comment that being bullied builds character. It often does quite the opposite and leaves lasting harmful effects on people... overall not good.

Let me know how your situation has turned out!

Matt

I've been around the block a few times... feel free to check out my blog for info. If you want advice or someone to talk/vent to, I'm here!

Last edited by Shock96; October 19th, 2016 at 01:39 AM.
Shock96 is offline   Reply With Quote