Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 4th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #1
Mannequin
Nice Poster

Default bombarded by anorexic stars

What do you think about America's new ideal female? She doesn't eat, she excersizes, and she's nail thin! The number of eating disorders in high school teenagers and stars have drastically increased within the last ten years. My question is what effect do nail thin models have on today's females and how do we change 2007's ideal female?

.ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı.

Last edited by Mannequin; June 15th, 2008 at 08:19 PM.
Mannequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #2
MoveAlong
Legendary Member

Default Re: bombarded by anorexic stars

Oh my god that is discusting!
I think some take it way to far in terms of eating disorders. I think some are just in need of a lifestyle change; eating as subway, drinking more than 2% juice drinks, exercising and just staying healthy.

I think nail thin models or rather plain 'thin' models have the same effect on women as men. My problem is that the male models are so buff, masculine, and athletic. I strive to be like that, and I'm getting more athletic and working out. But like I said, some have taken it way too far. In my opinion, the worst possible thing you could do to your body is start an eating disorder...

I think the standard should be changed, but this would take a very long time and I'm not sure how we could fix it except accept those who don't measure up to the outragious 'standard'. I think we could also eat healthier, and do other things to make yourself look better (a good haircut goes just as long of ways as losing 30 pounds).
MoveAlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Mannequin
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic_Storm View Post
Oh my god that is discusting!
I think some take it way to far in terms of eating disorders. I think some are just in need of a lifestyle change; eating as subway, drinking more than 2% juice drinks, exercising and just staying healthy.

I think nail thin models or rather plain 'thin' models have the same effect on women as men. My problem is that the male models are so buff, masculine, and athletic. I strive to be like that, and I'm getting more athletic and working out. But like I said, some have taken it way too far. In my opinion, the worst possible thing you could do to your body is start an eating disorder...

I think the standard should be changed, but this would take a very long time and I'm not sure how we could fix it except accept those who don't measure up to the outragious 'standard'. I think we could also eat healthier, and do other things to make yourself look better (a good haircut goes just as long of ways as losing 30 pounds).
It's very sad that females feel that way. I liked your point on males as well, but i'd say masculinity and being buff/athletic can only be a positive effect! I think the only solution is to not hire the nail thin ones!

Old April 4th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #4
MoveAlong
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannequin View Post
It's very sad that females feel that way. I liked your point on males as well, but i'd say masculinity and being buff/athletic can only be a positive effect!
Yes but it can sure be a hassle when you're an overweight guy, chubby guy, skinny guy or unathletic guy.
Quote:
I think the only solution is to not hire the nail thin ones!
Haha, I forgot about that one
MoveAlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #5
Hyper
VT Lover

Damn it skinny ******... Awful just awful.. I wonder what barbie girl dream star started the ideal of skinniness?

I'm tough, rough, ready and able
To pick myself up from under this table
Don't stick no sign on me, I got no label
I'm a little sick, unsure, unsound and unstable

But I'm fighting my way back
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #6
0=
Gone...

0='s Forum Picture

Obesity is a far more pressing issue.
0= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #7
BillyWitchDoctor.com
Great Poster

BillyWitchDoctor.com's Forum Picture

professional models (not like Stuff magazine but like the ones that walk the walk and shit) are always so skinny because they have to fit into like any outfit and style. but its disgusting. 1. they're hurthing themselves and 2. if u girls think ur turning us guys on by being as skinny as possible....ur not. i agree that some men take bodybuilding a bit far, i dont see anything wrong with it until you have to take things that will possible harm you such as steroids to get better. thats where i draw the line of a lil crazy but not bad and bad + needs a life. Obesity and anorexia are basically the two extremees for average people (excluding people w/ severe deseases which possibly make them obscenely fat) i think anorexia is affecting teenage girls while obesity is taking a tole on the mid-age american adult who tends to not know enough about food and health. but tahts just my take on it
BillyWitchDoctor.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #8
Mannequin
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWitchDoctor.com View Post
professional models (not like Stuff magazine but like the ones that walk the walk and shit) are always so skinny because they have to fit into like any outfit and style. but its disgusting. 1. they're hurthing themselves and 2. if u girls think ur turning us guys on by being as skinny as possible....ur not. i agree that some men take bodybuilding a bit far, i dont see anything wrong with it until you have to take things that will possible harm you such as steroids to get better. thats where i draw the line of a lil crazy but not bad and bad + needs a life. Obesity and anorexia are basically the two extremees for average people (excluding people w/ severe deseases which possibly make them obscenely fat) i think anorexia is affecting teenage girls while obesity is taking a tole on the mid-age american adult who tends to not know enough about food and health. but tahts just my take on it
You sound like you think these girls enjoy it. Anorexia usually has an underlying cause. I highly doubt an anorexic's number one motivator would be to attract the opposite sex. The girl in the middle photo actually died of kidney failure from anorexia. These girls feel pressure to look this way by constant critique/manipulation of their photos and by the public.

Old April 6th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #9
Kathryn Ann
Junior Member+

Kathryn Ann's Forum Picture

First off, every picture you posted has been photoshopped.
None of those stars are THAT skinny...they'd be dead.
Second, I don't think they are hurting anyone.
It's a person's choice to make how they want to make themselves look good.
These girls don't teach girls HOW to look good, just encourage them TO look good.
The girls decide for THEMSELVES how they do it.

Myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=45649608

Add me if you have one,
and let me know that you know me from VT.
Kathryn Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #10
Hyper
VT Lover

Kathrynn alot of.. Girls look at these models ( Girls who cant think for themselves ) and find that they HAVE to look like that.

And I think a person should be STOPPED from hurting themselves, and models who look sickly shouldn't be hired, people look for inspiration on looks and alot of things from celebrities/famous models/actors etc.

I'm tough, rough, ready and able
To pick myself up from under this table
Don't stick no sign on me, I got no label
I'm a little sick, unsure, unsound and unstable

But I'm fighting my way back
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #11
BillyWitchDoctor.com
Great Poster

BillyWitchDoctor.com's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannequin View Post
You sound like you think these girls enjoy it. Anorexia usually has an underlying cause. I highly doubt an anorexic's number one motivator would be to attract the opposite sex. The girl in the middle photo actually died of kidney failure from anorexia. These girls feel pressure to look this way by constant critique/manipulation of their photos and by the public.
why would i think that people enjoy anorexia?? pardon me, but this is my experience. lots of girls in my grade at school have eating disorders and many try and get skinnier and skinnier because they think other people dont approve of them. i didnt mean that anorexic's do what they do to impress the opposite sex, but from my own expereinces, many girls encourage themselves to become even skinnier becasue they they that a side effect will be having others be interested in them physically. idk if u can call lots of people anorexic, many people have eating disorders, some more serious than others. but Anorexia is an actual fear of becoming fat, and im sure over time many people such as models in the modeling industry develope a fear of becoming fat.
BillyWitchDoctor.com is offline   Reply With Quote